Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Quick & Consistent

• WarribsWarribs Registered User regular
    So uh, Mr. Khoo, why is there a coke can in your hand?

psychopez
  • JeffkoJeffko Registered User new member
    TEAM FUCKIN' TANGENT!

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I wonder if it occurred to the producers to just have some episodes of the contestants spending the day in the house, drawing and talking. I'd be much more interested in that than go-carting, it's been a bit frustrating when we see them sketching and chatting and can't see what they are drawing. I'm not an artist or anything but it would be really interesting hearing them discuss different styles, or talking about using tablets vs paper etc.

IronbluemsuroosecondrisingtableduddlesHanClintoBucho
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Agreed. I really wish we could see more of what these guys produce outside of the timed pressure and/or constraints of the competitive bits.

duddles
  • InquisitorInquisitor Of mercenary mind. Registered User regular
    The eliminations are about nothing but art, I personally don't mind there being variety on the show at all.

QnIYGGT.jpg
    A Concerned CitizenKathleen_LRRKalynarNotaCylon
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    If Maki wins, he needs to propose to Katie on the spot
    (if she isnt married already)

Would be an epic end to the series

WarribsseegruA Concerned Citizenstrike_the_tripNotaCylon
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    Geez,... not sure who I want to win in the upcoming battle. I identify more with Tavis' style. Should be a good one.

Tinkles
  • kekrops_kekrops_ Registered User new member
    Lots of Katie screen time makes for such good episodes. Harrowing decision at the end, but I think she chose really well.

A Concerned CitizenJohnnyOmaha
  • SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    msuroo wrote:
    I don't think that is in conflict with what I said.

It came off as very dismissive and that you were declaring him to be wrong. In fact you even threw "most of us" in there too to backup your point, almost insinuating that he/she is watching the show for the wrong reasons.

It's a web streamed reality show, this episode and the last just weren't as compelling as the others, such is life.

VanityPantsduddles
  • Kite_NeravarKite_Neravar Registered User new member
    Siddown wrote: »
    It's a web streamed reality show, this episode and the last just weren't as compelling as the others, such is life.
    I disagree, these past two episodes were just as compelling, if not more so, as any other episode this season.

BrianRamsay
  • JayeEmmJayeEmm Registered User regular
    Josh was hilarious- not that I know the guy, but I guess I don't think of him as bringing the snark. Guess I was wrong there! (And I HOPE YOU GET EATEN ALIVE BY BEETLES was perfect.)

Would hate to see either of them go on Friday, but am marginally (tangentally?) rooting for Abby because I think she is just so oddly, insanely funny. Odd is a good thing in my book.

Spman2099DruzilSupreme
  • msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Siddown wrote: »
    msuroo wrote:
    I don't think that is in conflict with what I said.

It came off as very dismissive and that you were declaring him to be wrong. In fact you even threw "most of us" in there too to backup your point, almost insinuating that he/she is watching the show for the wrong reasons.

Who has the superior dismissive opinion now? Look, I disagree with you. Watching people who suck balls at driving crash go-karts is not compelling (to me). Watching people get emotional about the relationships they've developed with each other is (to me). Humorous jabs with the PA staff are plus too. :) I loved Evermourn's idea - I think getting a closer look at the results when the artists are just sketching around with each other would be awesome.

Also, check up on your reading comprehension. The word "most" is nowhere in my post. I would never presume to know the motivations of the entire audience of the show. But based on the comments in these threads, I'm confident that there is a material contigent of people enjoying the same things that I am seeing. And sure, while no-ones opinion is "wrong", I do tend to hold my own in pretty high regard. So if you feel dismissed by that...sorry I guess?

msuroo on
    Spman2099CMBoydThunderous_TBrianRamsayDruzilSupremeduddles
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I think Abby wins this one.

She's just flat out funnier, imo.

walrus.png
    Spman2099
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy Registered User regular
    I'm in conflict here. Abby has produced the best elimination comic on Strip Search, yet Maki's Science webcomic is my favorite of the artists remaining.

I'll take the easy way out and root for both for now.

NotaCylon
  • msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    I'm in conflict here. Abby has produced the best elimination comic on Strip Search, yet Maki's Science webcomic is my favorite of the artists remaining.

It's a good thing Maki isn't up for elimination then. ;)

MekkaB
  • LampLamp Registered User regular

So just because Tavis and Maki both have beards you think you can't tell them apart? Geez, somebody's a bit racist...

Cambiata
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    This is going to be intense. Tavis just seems to GET what they're looking for, in terms of art style and general direction of humor. However, Abby is undoubtedly the funniest person in that house, and if you can make Mike and Jerry laugh out loud you're looking pretty good. In this one, maybe more than any of the others, I feel like the topics (and therefore maybe the Redraw Ticket) are going to be really important.

Spman2099Bucho
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy Registered User regular
    @Lamp WHOA WHOA....I can tell Tavis and Maki apart. I apologize for the misunderstanding...I meant I am in conlict as to whom to root for to win the entire competition, not just the elimination.

Hope that clears things up.

• WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    What a wonderful episode. Brilliant TV.

I love Katie so very very much. What a star. And I think Abby will win with ease.

• BdonBdon Registered User regular
    Forgery tip!

I once saw on an episode of White Collar that forging is so hard because it is hard to suppress your natural writing style and that if you are a talented artist forging a signature is much easier if you look at it upside-down because it changes it from letters into a series of brushstrokes.

Does anyone know if this is true? Nobody took that approach in this episode. Did they just not know? Does it not work? Could a capable artist try it out for me and fill me in? I've been curious about it forever...

NotaCylon
    Abby and Tavis head-to-head? Two of the most-cartoony art styles with senses of humor that arguably line up with that of the PA guys the best? Super excited for this Thunderdome!

Tinkles
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Could be. Turning something upside down (or flipping it horizontally) is something artists can use to try and find problems in their work.

NotaCylon
  • alienantalienant Registered User new member
    oh man, felt bad for katie in this one, but the well placed green banana in front of Maki around min 15 mark was worth it.(i liked how the camera guy try to move around it). here's hoping for katie and tavis in the finals.

• AkaiatanaAkaiatana Registered User new member
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I wonder if it occurred to the producers to just have some episodes of the contestants spending the day in the house, drawing and talking. I'd be much more interested in that than go-carting, it's been a bit frustrating when we see them sketching and chatting and can't see what they are drawing. I'm not an artist or anything but it would be really interesting hearing them discuss different styles, or talking about using tablets vs paper etc.

I agree with your sentiment, but I can't agree with that decision. Unfortunately, time is money. They have to rent the house, and contestants have to be away from their jobs for a solid three weeks. There really can't be any wasted time in these competitions. Eleven days plus the prep and return time is likely as much as could be strung together.

• makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    @BDON
    Damn, wish I thought of that. A common trick when painting from a reference photo is to turn it upside-down for that exact reason. Again, forgetting my fine arts schooling has bitten me in the ass!

enderandrewGrakiaoCMBoydBdonstrike_the_tripTeeSeaJayNotaCylonCambiata
  • GrakiaoGrakiao Registered User new member
    That ending was intense!

• intercollectorintercollector Registered User new member
    Show concept and production is great. Editing is done well as well, but I'm getting sick of unrelated challenges. The Obama signature challenge was decent...the convention ones were a bit boring, but I understand the necessity. But go-carting, boardgames and ping-pong? Really? Fun for the contestants, but from the viewer standpoint its pretty dry.

The best challenge episode so far has been the Magic skateboard deck challenge. The rest of them have been boring.

Elimination challenges have all been good though.

duddlesYasmine Teeth
  • AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    If Maki wins, he needs to propose to Katie on the spot
    (if she isnt married already)

Would be an epic end to the series

She's taken. :)

NotaCylon
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Warribs wrote: »
    So uh, Mr. Khoo, why is there a coke can in your hand?

He couldn't find the Pepsi can?

Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    3DS FC: 0602-7345-3295, Bravely Second - level 99 Ba'al Buster ship
    Fire Emblem Fates: 07620-54245-25733-64527
    BlY4ui5.png
    BdonKathleen_LRRAlexAlexanderfooSHertzberg
  • CMBoydCMBoyd Registered User new member
    As a Kickstarted game developer, this is highly pertinent. I'll be spending some time over the next few days solidifying my new signature (because my real one is horribad-ugly) before signing things for people in a couple days.

Thanks again Strip-Search!

• CNECNE Registered User regular
    Those of you who are doing the Elimination Challenges on your own: Can we see your take on Josh engaging in sexual congress with a cactus? KTHXBAI.

SomeNorCalGuy
  • Anana11Anana11 Registered User regular
    Oh, Katie. ((((((((HUG)))))))))

And I'm on Team Tangent for this Thunderdome. Abby is so funny.

• JeffkoJeffko Registered User new member
    @INTERCOLLECTOR

I think you need to keep in mind what the show's format is: social challenge in the morning, industry challenge in the afternoon and elimination challenge at night.

Those unrelated social challenges, at least in my perception, are a way for the contestants to start the day off with something fun and no-pressure, with a chance to win useful prizes (art stuff and tablets) or the coveted Redraw tickets. The industry challenges are obviously aimed at useful things professional artists should know/be comfortable with.

I was initially surprised that ping-pong was an industry challenge, but as PA takes its ping-pong pretty freakin' seriously, I understood why they included it.

I personally did not find any challenge boring, but I do agree that the Magic Skateboard Deck challenge was the most interesting to watch, beside the elimination challenges, of course. The convention challenges were actually my second favourite, as they showcase how the artists presented themselves face-to-face with the public, which is a key thing.

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Given the previous eliminations, Tavis vs Abby is going to produce some of the most NSFW comics I've ever read. Roll on Friday!

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    blagh
  • RicciardiVFXRicciardiVFX Registered User regular
    Nothing against Abby, she just comes across as fake to me, like she's acting the way she wants people to see her. I like that she draws traditionally though. Going to be a great duel.

duddleseromNotaCylon
  • SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    @msuroo

I don't feel dismissed at all, I'm just saying what you wrote was dismissive.

You are right though, "most" is not "lots", and I guess we could get in a semantic argument over the differences. Then again "lots" is not "I" which is what you should have written.

I'm sure you didn't mean it to come across that way, but that's how it came across.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Abby needs to destroy Tavis.

• MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    "Josh there is a cactus in need of fucking—you should go do that." Hands down the best part of this episode for me. Go Abby!

NotaCylonJerms
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The cut at the start makes the ottoman appear to magically transform itself into a pile of pillows. Perhaps as a defense mechanism.

Also, overtly suggestive fruit bowl.

@Intercollector
    Keep in mind that they're going to be embedded with Penny Arcade for a year. They're looking for someone who isn't going to be a terror on the team for 365 days. Realistically they already know all of these people are fantastic web cartoonists or potential cartoonists, they were picked from hundreds or thousands of contestants. So, the people who win social challenges, ie people who might make a good fit with Penny Arcade, get a little extra boost in the form of redraw tickets. However, it's only their ability to cope in the self-supported web cartoonist industry that decides who can be eliminated.

Dedwrekka on
    @Makitori - Whoa, I never expected one of the actual strippers to reply to my query! Thanks a ton! It feels really good to know White Collar wasn't full of it and that is an actual art technique. I've been curious about it for so long but have always lacked the skillz and background to verify it for myself