Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Quick & Consistent

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    And based on my above statement, I think the two most deserving are Lexi and Katy. Because I think they will bring the most overall positive impact to the brand.

• elheberelheber Registered User regular
    I sort of want all 5 of them to start up their own studio together. Can I haz that pleez, guise? I'll buy all your shit. And the good stuff too.

seegru
  • p8ntrp8ntr Registered User new member
    I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the challenge in this episode as many others have stated. Not because the signing challenge isn't a valid challenge. I think it is. I do think that the choice of Obama's signature was weird (and maybe lazy). Why him? He has nothing to do with comics. Why not Bill Watterson? Is it because Obama's signature is simpler, well then there has to be a comic artist out there who's signature is relatively easy to copy.

If there is a second season, I personally would like more art. I know that these artists all have their own websites, I have checked them out. (Maki and Lexxy, I love your stuff!) But in a competition it's fun to see the artists duke it out, with their art. And this sort of competitive art-making is not something you see watching them work on a live stream. Also, as a talent-based competitive reality show, I think the expectation is that the artists will be competing based on talent. And yes some of that talent may need to be based on their business sense, but maybe not go-karts.

If there need to be fun challenges, like go-carts, or ping pong, why not let those be the prize challenges and have elimination be art-based? I don't think that these types of challenges would mean that we wouldn't get to know the artists any more deeply, that for me seems to happen in the cut aways when they are reflecting on the challenges.

Okay last point and I'll shut up. I think part of the reason that we, those who want more art challenges, feel it so much is in part due to the format. Though each day of the competition there was an art challenge, we might not get to see any art being made (in the show, again I know they have websites) in a given week because it is split up into three parts. I would probably feel very differently about the show if I were watching an entire day in one sitting. Maybe in a future season make sure that there is an art challenge every viewing week?

Sorry for the wall of text.

duddles
  • IntrepydIntrepyd Registered User regular
    Cool episode. Liked the banter between the PA staff and the artists. The Katie and Maki moment was great. Elimination is gonna be awesome.

• CybexxCybexx Registered User regular
    Looking forward to Friday, this is going to be a really interesting elimination round. Abby beat Erika, who was the most experienced of the bunch. Tavis beat Lexxy, who has the strongest art. Both of them won with raunchy comics and both of them edged out competitively strong comics.

NotaCylon
  • Dragon6860Dragon6860 Registered User regular
    Ahhh man! Go Team Tangent! I've already thought up several "What If" scenarios in my head, as for artist vs. artist

Abby Vs. Lexy - Abby. Lexy is probably the best pure artist, but Abby is the funniest, and humor counts for a lot in Thunderdome.
    Lexy Vs. Katie - Close, but giving the edge to Lexy, as I personally found Lexy's comics to be funnier than Katies, but Katie is better at drawing quickly.
    Tavis Vs. Maki (aka BEARD BATTLE) - Maki, again based on the humor of the comic. I love his Mermaid comic
    Maxi vs. Abby - Too close to call. This one would be another 30 minute debate between Mike and Jerry, Abby's funnier (in my opinion) but Maki's art is more gripping.
    Abby Vs. Tavis - Abby, for the reason that I really don't think anyone can touch her in pure humor, and while Tavis has good art, I don't think it's good enough to beat Abby's humor.

Again, just my opinions on the matter, but we shall see!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Not many things this time:

1) Color me surprised, I thought this episode was going to be a snorer. Kudos to everyone involved, especially the editors, on making this so interesting.
    2) Katie is a friggin powerhouse. She's won the pre-elimination challenge what, 3 times? 4? and won the elimination challenge twice. Just pure power. She's going to be in the final 2.
    3) I think Abby is going to come out of this one, I laughed much more at her naughty mystery comic more than circus areola from Tavis. I also laugh more at her archives than Tavis.
    4) If you want to copy someone's signature, don't do it slowly, you have to flow and move smoothly. At the same time though, you need to analyze the signature for how it is made, thinking about the strokes involved. I see Obama's as having the following elements: I would draw the vertical line first, then draw the O around it, starting at about 2/3 up, then the squiggle m 1/3 from the bottom, meeting the O, then the tail from there. But the line first is the key. It's the only way to consistently meet the end of the circle with the line.
    5) PAUL SIGHTING!
    6) WOOO! Maki's going to be in the final 4! Team Maki!

Gamercow on
    NotaCylon
  • KnytestormeKnytestorme Registered User regular
    The elimination choices surprised me just because it wasn't what I would have expected. If it were me I'd have likely gone one of the following two ways (though said without the benefit of having bonded with any of the contestants in the house)

1. X and Lexxy (putting Lexxy up 2 days in a row would be seen as a dick move but I can't imagine it would be easy to go there back-to-back so likely possibility you get rid of a big threat)
    2. Abby and Maki (both have redraws so you know you get at least one redraw out of the house and likely both if they think game-optimal and both use their redraws since there's a 50% chance they lose and it goes wasted by being unused)

I don't think Katie made a "wrong" decision but I do think she didn't go with a strategically optimal one and that makes me like her even more, as a contestant and a person, even if it's not what I probably would have done :)

HeyThereEliza
  • Xyz_39808Xyz_39808 Registered User regular
    LRR did such a good job with the emotional music here during Katie's announcement

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Just caught up after a week away.

At this stage of the competition, Katie could almost have picked any two names at random and it would have been about as right as any other pair of names. It's just that up for grabs. But on top of that, she has to look those people, her new friends, in the face and pronounce them as the two weakest artists in the group. And she can't quite bring herself to do that. She had to do an end run around it just to come up with names. I can't fault her for picking who she picked, because I can't fault her for any of the possible pairs she could have picked.

Challenge-wise, that was more fun to watch than repeatedly signing Obama's name ought to have been. Although I've looked in all the phone books and Josh There's A Cactus That Needs Fucking-You Should Go Do That wasn't anywhere in them. Maybe Mr. Cactus Fucking has an unlisted number.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    parmeisanMKF36E
  • HeyThereElizaHeyThereEliza Registered User regular
    I actually wanted Lexxy and Maki to go up. Tavis and Abby are my two top picks. Because Abby actually has humor and Tavis' art is super stylized and amazing. And then Lexxy could've lost and then there'd only be awesome, funny people in the house. I can understand Katie's decision being hard but seriously, throw Lexxy in the pit. I know she was just there last time but I want her gone. And I'm pretty sure the others did too when she came back.

NotaCylon
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Akaiatana wrote: »
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I wonder if it occurred to the producers to just have some episodes of the contestants spending the day in the house, drawing and talking. I'd be much more interested in that than go-carting, it's been a bit frustrating when we see them sketching and chatting and can't see what they are drawing. I'm not an artist or anything but it would be really interesting hearing them discuss different styles, or talking about using tablets vs paper etc.

I agree with your sentiment, but I can't agree with that decision. Unfortunately, time is money. They have to rent the house, and contestants have to be away from their jobs for a solid three weeks. There really can't be any wasted time in these competitions. Eleven days plus the prep and return time is likely as much as could be strung together.
    I guess it just depends on what you consider to be a waste. To me the go-kart episode was a complete waste of my time, wheras if they had just had a morning in the house it wouldn't have been. At the end of the day the object of the show is to entertain the viewers, and it's clear that a lot of people want to see more of the "get to know you" type stuff.

sketchityLetterAfterZ
  • sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    @PETERBMAN said "The show MasterChef had a challenge in which the contestants needed to chop onion after onion after onion."

i looked this up. it was one of those premilinary rounds where they were selecting contestants for the show.

they didn't spend the whole episode on onion chopping, though. that is the thing. if they have a minor cooking-related challenge like that they do it quick and move on to a major cooking-actually challenge because 1. they gathered together a bunch of cooks for a competition/reality show; and 2. (and this may be more important than 1) they gathered an audience who were very interested in cooking, and only somewhat interested in chopping.

that is one thing to keep in mind. this series attracts both webcomic makers and readers. only one of those groups is very interested in the chopping part. but penny arcade wants the series to be entertaining enough to keep both watching.

for everyone defending the brand here, please dig deep and decide if it is because you really do love to see the show focused on this minutia and would not want it compiled in any other way, or if it is more about the fact that this is the only webcomic reality show game in town?

i think to get a clearer idea think about this. let's say there were two parallel shows created from the artists' time in the house. all the same things happened. they took the same amount of days to shoot. they aired at the same time. the only difference is how they were cut and what was focused on.

the reality show twist is you can only watch one of them.

one of the shows is the show we are watching now, with full episodes on competitive signature signing and the like. the other show also has a segment on the signature challenge because yes these are background activities that really do matter for a webcomic artist. it would be the same competition. all the informative points are made but the segment is cut to 3 to 4 minutes long (because of bored). this second show chooses to fill the rest of the time with interaction of the artists around the house. i am pretty sure they will be talking about their art, processes, education, tools, fan interactions, website management, convention experiences, efforts at merchandising, etc on a daily basis because everyone, including artists, talks shop when suddenly thrown together with people of the same occupation.

so, same competitions. same house. same time frame. same people winning. same things being discussed day-to-day around the house. different shows. you don't have to pick one, but if you did which would it be?

Yasmine TeethparmeisanMontyRohde
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    sketchity wrote: »
    one of the shows is the show we are watching now, with full episodes on competitive signature signing and the like. the other show also has a segment on the signature challenge because yes these are background activities that really do matter for a webcomic artist. it would be the same competition. all the informative points are made but the segment is cut to 3 to 4 minutes long (because of bored). this second show chooses to fill the rest of the time with interaction of the artists around the house. i am pretty sure they will be talking about their art, processes, education, tools, fan interactions, website management, convention experiences, efforts at merchandising, etc on a daily basis because everyone, including artists, talks shop when suddenly thrown together with people of the same occupation.

so, same competitions. same house. same time frame. same people winning. same things being discussed day-to-day around the house. different shows. you don't have to pick one, but if you did which would it be?

Today's episode runs 20:55. Excluding the introduction to the challenge, there's only seven and a half minutes of signature signing, and most of that is the judges shit-talking the artists or the artists talking about their reactions to what was going on. What they've given us is not substantially different from what you're suggesting as an alternative; the only difference is who's interacting and the fact they're doing it during the challenge rather than outside of it. And watching the PA staff clown with the artists has made for some of the most entertaining viewing in this whole series.

If they want to include more artist interaction, that's fine, but if they were going to do that here the best way would have been to make the episode longer, not to cut any of the challenge. They handled it extremely well.

P.S. I wouldn't assume watching the artists together would make for particularly inspiring television, at least not with this group. I think they're great, but apart from Abby, they're great in a quiet sort of way. What Jerry said in an early elimination about them forming an artist's commune is pretty much what's happened, complete with the super-peaceful vibe. Without Amy, Monica, or Nick, I think a lot of the potential in just watching the artists together evaporates.

NotaCylon
  • Yasmine TeethYasmine Teeth Registered User regular
    The actual comic drawing portion of Strip Search needs to be restructured so that all of the artists are present during the eliminations and can see what the other cartoonists have made. That way they could actually discuss and debate during their interviews the one thing they are experts in -- drawing and studying comics. The way Strip Search is currently structured, when someone is sent home the other artists cannot comment in any informed way on the judges' choice because they do not see the comics produced by the person who won and the person who lost, and so can't agree or disagree with the decision, and can't talk about how they would have done it differently or how they might change their own approach in a later elimination. All they can do is offer vague platitudes about liking both people.

duddles
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    In season 1 of a reality show, Yasmine, the structure of the show being a surprise is typically an essential part of the process. The contestants literally have no idea what they're getting into and much of the season is built around that. In later seasons, knowledge of the basic structure of previous seasons is assumed and the show adapts to that.

For this season, there's value in keeping those strips semi-private knowledge. Going forward, though, you do have a germ of something in there; giving future contestants some way to see previous Thunderdome strips without actually having to go up for elimination would probably be beneficial.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Yasmine TeethYasmine Teeth Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    In season 1 of a reality show, Yasmine, the structure of the show being a surprise is typically an essential part of the process. The contestants literally have no idea what they're getting into and much of the season is built around that.

You state this as a law of reality shows, but what reality shows are you talking about where most of the contestants aren't present for the elimination challenges and judging every week, as is the case with Strip Search? This is the first one I've seen that does that. Not saying there haven't been any, it's just that in all the ones I'm familiar with and enjoyed, all of the contestants are present during the elimination challenges and judging, so they can fully react to what occurred there in their interviews. In Strip Search, they cannot, because most of the artists aren't there and have no idea what happened, and so their responses are shallow due to being kept ignorant.

• LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    You state this as a law of reality shows, but what reality shows are you talking about where most of the contestants aren't present for the elimination challenges and judging every week, as is the case with Strip Search? This is the first one I've seen that does that. Not saying there haven't been any, it's just that in all the ones I'm familiar with and enjoyed, all of the contestants are present during the elimination challenges and judging, so they can fully react to what occurred there in their interviews. In Strip Search, they cannot, because most of the artists aren't there and have no idea what happened, and so their responses are shallow due to being kept ignorant.

I think this would change the show in pretty interesting ways. It might make it a bit more cutthroat, which might kill the magic of Strip Search, but I agree that seeing the comic creation process probably gives more information about an artist than simply seeing their sketchbook. It would change the calculus considerably if others saw something like the Katie + Ty elimination: the criticism Katie got would likely cause others to nominate her again, rather than have everyone think she's an unstoppable powerhouse (a reputation she's ridden into the final four). Overall, I think we'd be more likely to see repeat nominations before everybody has gone up once, which might result in more Lexxy-style comebacks/upsets, but might also mean that the first six eliminations aren't sort of procedural. But of course we wouldn't get the "who would you give cancer" perspective if all of the other artists were there...

One thing I would definitely change is have the car interview include the artist talking about their process in coming up with their strip. I really want a glimpse into the twisted mind of Tavis that produced his "areola circus" comic, and also the process behind Ty's comic as well (to name two). That would produce more footage that could be cut into the elimination challenge, and then maybe you could also restructure the competition so the artists have, say, 45 minutes to think and sketch without heckling, and then 45 minutes of heckling, while still producing enough content for a good episode.

Yasmine Teeth
  • VertXVertX Registered User new member
    Who comes up with these assignments? Why would I even watch this? These people are fucking artists, I don't care about seeing them imitate a signature for half an hour. Seriously I'm done with this, I only watch the eliminations. At least that's interesting and creative. The show got really bad really quick guys. People karting I mean come on. Could've attached a board on the steering wheel and make them do a drawing each lap. I'm really disappointed, I was so excited for this show. :(

George Babbittduddles
  • LetterAfterZLetterAfterZ Registered User regular
    Just a quick comment to say that the editing in these last two episodes has really stepped up. It's really cool to see more of the in the house activity and drawings that people are putting together.

Even though this felt like a boring challenge, the editing made this episode really enjoyable and helped to develop these guys personalities and opinions a lot more for the viewers.

I'm really enjoying this show, great work!

• AlphADeviLAlphADeviL Registered User new member
    What were the actual scores for the challenge?

• MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    WHY THIS WASN'T A BORING CHALLENGE, and in fact, was perfect:

They took a group of talented people, gave them a challenge that was as related to 'art' as dancing is related to architecture, THEN had them being verbally abused by Josh to do a better job, but without any specific pointers. And their continued existence in the house is dependent upon the outcome.

It's such a ridiculous set-up as to be Kafka-esque.

BRAVO, PA/LRR! It's absurdist and brilliant.

/and Josh earned some extra granola in his yogurt for this!

ahdokNotaCylonAngry_Samoan
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Replicating someone's signature perfectly is, in fact, a challenge artistically.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    ElbasunucwDeiciNotaCylonAnana11parmeisan
  • George BabbittGeorge Babbitt Registered User new member
    That challenge was indicative of the utter pettiness of those who collect artificial chunks of other people in a vain attempt to possess and own them. If the punk who paid $20 for a book doesn't like your chicken scratch as it doesn't match up perfectly with the online version they have seen and now his purchase doesn't have the added collectible value of a perfect signature....eat a ****! If all you wanted that signature for was increased value and not the human connection to the work of art that you supposedly care about...eat a ****!

Khayman
  • kraughmarkraughmar Registered User regular
    My only issue is that I really wish they had given a rundown of the total signatures and good sig/bad sig breakdown. Abby was a beast, and maybe signed more good signatures than Katie. I know they did the plus-minus, but I wonder how close it was.

NotaCylonMutantJohn
  • KhaymanKhayman Registered User regular
    msuroo wrote: »
    Khayman wrote: »
    I really hate to be negative about the show as it has been my absolute favourite thing to watch on any medium for weeks now. But the last few episodes have been disappointing.

Then you aren't watching for the same reasons as a lot of us. Not that art challenges are bad, but if you just want to watch them draw shit, a lot of them run livestreams. I watch to see the artists put their personalities on display, and this ep had plenty of that.

As always, looking forward to the elimination episode, but really hate to see anyone go home at this point.

I have no idea the reasons you watch the show, nor you mine (obviously). I have enjoyed all the art and social challenges thus far (mostly), but this to me was not as good any any of the others. Am I wrong? No. Did I say you can't enjoy it for any reason? Did I imply that anyone is stupid for enjoying it? No. Am I sure the producers/makers appreciate all (non-trolling) feedback? 99%

• WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    When your livelihood is fans who love signed things and whatnot, you can't afford to dismiss them as petty...

Also think what business-related challenges could be. 'Today you're going to fill in a tax return.' 'Today you're going to phone clients who haven't paid six-month-old invoices' .....

makitori
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    VertX wrote: »
    These people are fucking artists

Judging by Tavis' recent comments, I'd say these people are currently abstinent artists.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    parmeisanAngry_Samoan
    edited May 2013
    VertX wrote: »
    Who comes up with these assignments? Why would I even watch this? These people are fucking artists, I don't care about seeing them imitate a signature for half an hour. Seriously I'm done with this, I only watch the eliminations. At least that's interesting and creative. The show got really bad really quick guys. People karting I mean come on. Could've attached a board on the steering wheel and make them do a drawing each lap. I'm really disappointed, I was so excited for this show. :(

These people came up with it. (skip to 1:22)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ngZ-LXoWTnM

Gosling on
    BrianRamsay
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    kraughmar wrote: »
    Abby was a beast, and maybe signed more good signatures than Katie.

No maybe about it. Graham said so.

• kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Judging by the quality of comics made in the past, I'd bet that Abby edges out Tavis.

But anything can happen when Jerry leaves his gold chain at home for a round of judging.

kedinik on
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    wahay wrote: »
    In response to this particular episode, let me first say that I love Strip Search. It's my favourite reality TV show yet, and the production team has been kind-enough to make good on those kickstarter donations (that, for the record, I missed contributing to.) That aside, these last like I was sitting in the room quietly, trying to be polite. Of course I appreciate lower-key stuff! Of course I like learning about the contestants! But why are we seeing signatures and board games after Go-Karts, con sims and elim comebacks? I could watch these contestants go grocery shopping and still love it—à la Tavis's tweets—but by now playing cards and writing signatures makes me feel like the show's climax already happened.

What @SpiffyMcBang said makes a lot of sense as explanation, but I wanted to add this as well: They had to come up with 12 social challenges and 12 competitive challenges. I think it's only natural that not every idea was stellar. (I've liked every single episode, but some of the more recent challenges have been a little on the weak side.) The good news is that it makes sense, logically, to put the least interesting ones in the middle. At least, that's how I would do it. You want to start out strong to show what you can do and get people watching. And you want to end on a high point because that's what people will remember best, you leave them with a good feeling about the whole thing. So, I hope & expect that things are about to get awesome again.

Also: Maybe they are training their new office monkey to forge signatures so that Khoo doesn't have to sign stuff forhours any more? ;)

• parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Gamercow wrote: »
    Katie is a friggin powerhouse. She's won the pre-elimination challenge what, 3 times? 4? and won the elimination challenge twice. Just pure power. She's going to be in the final 2.

I was already curious about this because of Abby saying she "hasn't won an actual challenge", so here's the full breakdown to date:
    Social		Winner		Competitive	Winner
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Telephone	Maki		T-Shirt		Amy
    Duck Trivia	Lexxy		Interview	Nick
    Blind Drawing	Erika/Amy	Twitter		Nick
    Graffiti	Maki/Katie/Mac	Skateboard	Erika
    Clay		Katie		Booth		Monica
    Go-Karts	Lexxy		Booth 2		Tavis
    Ping Pong	Katie		Ping Pong 2	Katie
    Jungle Speed	Abby		Signatures	Katie

Wins per player, sorted by total wins, then by competitive wins (then alphabetical):
    Stripper	Social	Competitive
    -----------------------------------------
    Katie		3	2
    Nick			2
    Amy		1	1
    Erika		1	1
    Lexxy		2	
    Maki		2	
    Monica			1
    Tavis			1
    Abby		1	
    Mac		1	
    Alex			
    Ty

I'm sure it was more based on how it "felt" than actual numbers, but only Tavis and Katie (of those left in the house) have won a competitive challenge, which is what she must have been talking about, because she had won a social challenge just that morning. (Unless she said that earlier in the day?)

• seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    I actually enjoy reading people's thoughts (pro and con) about any episode or specific feelings towards a contestant. It's kind of funny to me that people get so enraged with opinions contrary to their own. Can't wait for Friday!

• babblebethbabblebeth Registered User new member
    TEAM ABBY ALL THE WAY BITCHES. (sorry I get over excited)

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    msuroo wrote: »
    Khayman wrote: »
    I really hate to be negative about the show as it has been my absolute favourite thing to watch on any medium for weeks now. But the last few episodes have been disappointing.

Then you aren't watching for the same reasons as a lot of us. Not that art challenges are bad, but if you just want to watch them draw shit, a lot of them run livestreams. I watch to see the artists put their personalities on display, and this ep had plenty of that.

As always, looking forward to the elimination episode, but really hate to see anyone go home at this point.

No man, watching livestreams of the entire process of the sausage being made is onerous.
    I'd rather watch a time lapsed dramatization of the sausage being made.
    And then at the end, we get to still get to eat their delicious sausages.

Twenty Sided on
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    seegru wrote: »
    I actually enjoy reading people's thoughts (pro and con) about any episode or specific feelings towards a contestant. It's kind of funny to me that people get so enraged with opinions contrary to their own. Can't wait for Friday!

Tavis's beard is too smug.
    But not to worry, his reckoning is at hand.
    Abby is a reaver. She will straighten him out.

Twenty Sided on
    Cambiataseegru
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think the challenges have been OK (though not great), but I have to say that the argument that you can go look at the artists' websites or livestreams if you want to see art is pretty dumb. I DO enjoy viewing their art in those forums but it has an entirely different kind of entertainment value from watching artists produce art under the stress of competition, and then getting to compare each the artists' take on one particular concept. That's the power of the reality show format that isn't reproduced anywhere else. Even when the eliminated artists streamed a just-for-fun "elimination" challenge a few weeks back it didn't have an ounce of the drama of the real competition where the stakes are HIGH.

Lamp on
    Yasmine Teeth
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    I think the challenges have been OK (though not great), but I have to say that the argument that you can go look at the artists' websites or livestreams if you want to see art is pretty dumb. I DO enjoy viewing their art in those forums but it has an entirely different kind of entertainment value from watching artists produce art under the stress of competition, and then getting to compare each the artists' take on one particular concept. That's the power of the reality show format that isn't reproduced anywhere else. Even when the eliminated artists streamed a just-for-fun "elimination" challenge a few weeks back it didn't have an ounce of the drama of the real competition where the stakes are HIGH.

The websites of the artists were brought up because someone specified: "I really wish we could see more of what these guys produce outside of the timed pressure and/or constraints of the competitive bits."

Now that's different from what you want, but the reference to websites wasn't in response to your post. :)

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • emimonsteremimonster Registered User regular
    The game the artists created making people out of the signature was a better challenge than some they've been given so far.

CambiataHanClinto