Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Quick & Consistent

1235»

• FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    Tavis and Alex will be at Phoenix Comic Con!

• AquiliferAquilifer Registered User new member
    I'm not saying that there isn't more involved than art itself, but is repeating signatures really a pragmatic gauge of how well a person will run a webcomic business? Not only is it boring and a bit lazy, but ultimately it doesn't seem that useful. I am disappointed in most of the contests.

duddles
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Consistent signatures by itself won't be a gauge for a successful webcomic business. But put that together with good fan interaction at conventions, setting up a good convention booth, good use of social media, handling interviews well, and actually drawing good comics and the other afternoon challenges (and eliminations) and you have a good indication of what it takes to be successful.

Angry_Samoan
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Lamp wrote: »
    I think the challenges have been OK (though not great), but I have to say that the argument that you can go look at the artists' websites or livestreams if you want to see art is pretty dumb. I DO enjoy viewing their art in those forums but it has an entirely different kind of entertainment value from watching artists produce art under the stress of competition, and then getting to compare each the artists' take on one particular concept. That's the power of the reality show format that isn't reproduced anywhere else. Even when the eliminated artists streamed a just-for-fun "elimination" challenge a few weeks back it didn't have an ounce of the drama of the real competition where the stakes are HIGH.

The websites of the artists were brought up because someone specified: "I really wish we could see more of what these guys produce outside of the timed pressure and/or constraints of the competitive bits."

Now that's different from what you want, but the reference to websites wasn't in response to your post. :)

Yeah, fair enough. But I have seen people say the same thing ("they have websites/livestreams y'know") when people say they want to see more art produced on the show. I have even defended some of the more recent challenges but I have to say I am a *bit* puzzled by the decision not to include more art-making in the show. I bet they got tons of footage of the artists sketching in their downtime like they did with the Obama signature doodles, at least throw us a bone and show some more of that please? I know I can go online and see plenty of drawings but I want to see the artists interacting *and* drawing...

Lamp on
    Yasmine Teeth
  • DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    Not 100% sure if anyone has said this yet but I really wish they put some of the more quirky signatures and the de-defaced(?) ones at the end up on the spoilers page.

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Katie is a complete challenge-demon, with by far the best win record. Also Katie has been my favourite since week one. - but I think her elimination comics have been weaker than Abby, Lexy and Maki. (I didn't like Tavis' first elimination comic at all.)

From the table of wins posted above, I'd place the artist's elimination comic quality in approximately the reverse order to their challenge placements - so it's really impossible to pick one over the other.

I'd shade this elimination on the side of Abby, but I don't really know what Tavis is capable of.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    Katie is a complete challenge-demon, with by far the best win record. Also Katie has been my favourite since week one. - but I think her elimination comics have been weaker than Abby, Lexy and Maki. (I didn't like Tavis' first elimination comic at all.)

I've been on Katie's side since the start as well, and the way I figure it is this- Katie's first elim comic was funny, and her second was (IMO) the one that showed the most art skill. If she pairs the two she can beat anyone. If she doesn't, anyone left can beat her. She's also, I think, the only person that can win an elimination with a funny-enough comic rather than the funnier of the two. That'll be extra important if she has to face Abby, since Abby's humor plays off of her simpler art style.

• kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    a plus for Katie is also that she can get her strips finished and in full color on time while showing a distinct style. Maki and especially Tavis strips are more "generic" looking to me and Tavis' eerily close to Straub/Kurtz. humour will probably always trump art in the eliminations, but in a close call against lexxy for example, her finished look can give her the edge against lexxys sketches.
    Her stuff looks great, but I dont think Lexxy is cut out for webcomics in how she creates. similar to Mac. Long form polished narrations, showcasing their art is more up their respective wheelhouses, i think.

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    I think if pressed on the issue, Mike and Jerry would say that Tavis' Areola piece has been their favorite elimination strip so far.

But Abby's made them LOL as well, so it'll probably be close.

As for more art challenges, I think that it's a conscious decision that only The Creators get to judge drawing (except for the Wizards of the Coast one). P.A. staff can judge other stuff, or it can be a voting decision among the artists, but Mike and Jerry alone render judgment on funny drawings.

• seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    SJTAWYa.jpg

Because somebody asked last week.

ElbasunuzerzhulHanClintoTomantaSpiritfireSpiffy McBangMekkaBJayeEmmMKF36EWeaselsoupTwenty SidedLexxyWeedLordVegetaKnytestormeBuchoahdokKatieJRice
    As for more art challenges, I think that it's a conscious decision that only The Creators get to judge drawing (except for the Wizards of the Coast one). P.A. staff can judge other stuff, or it can be a voting decision among the artists, but Mike and Jerry alone render judgment on funny drawings.

Actually they've had quite a few art challenges not judged by M&J. In addition to the Magic character they did the t-shirt, the graffiti, the game where one person describes the character and the other has to draw it, and the very first social challenge where they were making sketches based on another contestants words. There's tons of ways they could sneak in a bit of art throughout the show, which they did do at the start, but for some reason that's all dried up.

• secondsecond Registered User regular
    i still don't think tavis's first strip was very funny. and certainly not better than lexxy's. hers was great. then again i thought monica's was way better when she got eliminated too so my taste is a bit different i guess.

• AquiliferAquilifer Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    "Consistent signatures by itself won't be a gauge for a successful webcomic business. But put that together with good fan interaction at conventions, setting up a good convention booth, good use of social media, handling interviews well, and actually drawing good comics and the other afternoon challenges (and eliminations) and you have a good indication of what it takes to be successful."

I don't disagree for the most part. The booth thing was definitely useful and even a little entertaining. But autographs are just too micro to merit an entire challenge. Maybe if autographs were integrated in to the 'con' contest? This is especially true because they're gauging the consistency of a COPIED autograph...not even their own! Again it just seems to lack in creativity. I love these guys and this organization, but was that really very fun to watch or a useful for the viability of PA's future partner?

Aquilifer on
    Yasmine TeethGeorge Babbitt
  • TuminTumin Registered User new member
    I expect Abby to win this elimination. I think she has a much louder sense of humor then Tavis does and I think that they are both on even footing as artists. Tavis is funny but I think that he isn't as "over the top" as Abby can be and I just think that "loud and hilarious" is a really strong style for the competition.

I expect it to be Katie vs Maki at the end though. I think they are the funniest and the best artists, both did amazing in the time limit.

edited May 2013
    I keep thinking of all the different ways they could do a comics-related challenge outside of eliminations. I wish there were challenges where, say, they gave the artists a particular theme like "write a comic about finding love." Or what if they gave the artists poster board and finger paint and said "draw a comic with your big fat fingers." Or what if there had been a team challenge where the artists get 3 minutes to brainstorm an idea for a comic and then the two of them independently draw a couple of panels and see which team makes the most cohesive story. Or maybe one partner does a physical challenge like spinning around in circles with their head on a baseball bat for 30 second while the other one draws part of the comic, then they alternate until the comic is finished...

OK these are stupid but you get the idea.

Lamp on
    duddlesseegruYasmine TeethLavidiusBucho
  • MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    I love how in the newest poll 8%-ish of people voting think Alex will win. You go, reality-optionals!

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MKF36E wrote: »
    I love how in the newest poll 8%-ish of people voting think Alex will win. You go, reality-optionals!

Erika Sadsad has either long since resigned herself to the fact that Alex gets outsized support in just about every poll he appears in or is ready to strangle us all.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    MKF36E
  • drgill1972drgill1972 Registered User regular
    So, did anyone else notice that Mike mentioned that this Friday is what he calls "Epic"?

Maybe it's just me falling for marketing, but since we've seen some pretty epic stuff and this is the first time he has CALLED it epic, I am tremendously excited. And really, both artists are incredible and we are pretty much guaranteed a good show.

• drgill1972drgill1972 Registered User regular
    3 of the final 5 are matched in age, and are the oldest in the competition. One is the youngest. Oh, and Lexxy.

This has no relevance, it's just something I noticed.

• babblebethbabblebeth Registered User new member
    Now that I've calmed down. I think Katie could win it and I would like her to because I do love her. (I kinda got a crush on her when in episode 1 and I really like her art) but the one I want to win in my heart is Abby.

It took me a few episodes to warm to her (I think because she reminds me a bit too much of someone I know....) but I love her webcomic and in her Elimination vs Erika I was blown away and became her biggest cheerleader. She's the one my husband wants to win as well, and we were big Erika Moen fans. I love her attitude and her comic.

For unfair, stupid reasons the ones I really, really don't want to win are Tavis and Lexxy. I don't know why but I just find the both of them smug as all get out...but they come across as the most....business like? of the artists so it's possible I'm projecting.

• FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    I think Tavis is a really nice guy. He's always the first one off the couch to welcome artists back. Of course, being nice didn't save Nick.

ahdok
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    seegru wrote: »
    SJTAWYa.jpg

Because somebody asked last week.

I did! Thanks! :)

I like how he sort of comes across as Wally from Dilbert.

Regarding the upcoming elimination, I'm rooting for Abby, but I also was hoping to see a Beard vs Beard showdown.

foo on
    seegru
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Why isn't it tomorrow yet? >_<

HanClinto
  • OckhamsFollyOckhamsFolly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Just caught up. I just want to say Katie is my favorite celebrity ever. You rock, girl.

(and I mean celebrity in the nicest possible way)

OckhamsFolly on
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    One of my favourite little moments of the series yet at 19:23 where Tavis and Abby are standing there waiting to roll out and just looking at each other. I have no idea what they were thinking but I choose to believe it was two gladiators unspokenly sharing that special understanding that very, very few human beings have of what it means to enter the arena. After the battle they will take separate paths and yet they will have that warrior's bond until the end of time.

Meanwhile, man Tavis is badass but anybody who still has any doubts in regards to Abby's utter magnificence as a human being is a clueless buffoon stumbling hopelessly through a colourless, humourless netherworld oblivious to a splendid and glorious reality.

TEAM TANGENT!!!

(And Josh is hilarious (yet another thing Abby is 100% correct about.))

Bucho on
  • babblebethbabblebeth Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    [FRODOLIVES / MAY 23
    I think Tavis is a really nice guy. He's always the first one off the couch to welcome artists back. Of course, being nice didn't save Nick.]

He probably is a really nice guy. I think I just resent the fact that he seems to have his shit together/is totally confident in himself.

I may be a bit of a bitch.

babblebeth on
    With a smaller number of artisis you can play fax machine comics where you draw one panel and hand the strip on.

If we're going for endurance challenge, I'd like to see the artists do a 24 Hour Comic - Maybe a social challenge could be interwoven into that time.

It might be fun to see the artists deal with awkward comission work requests...

We haven't seen any challenges about character design, writing or layout. However, I think the challenges are aimed away from the actual process of creating a comic. The eliminations address this, and the artists were selected from a big pool, based at least in part on their current work.

I wonder which episode has the pineapple eating contest in it?

I find it pretty funny that so many people are crying bullshit, given Khoo's opening gambit of "now I know this might look like bullshit, but here's why it's not"

Bucho
1235»