As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'd Love Some Feedback!

GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Artist's Corner
EDIT:

My bad, I didn't mean to "site-whore". Here's some of my art:

screencap1.jpg

And here's an example of my comic, which I upload three times per week:

bs_0300.jpg

And finally an example of one of my short stories:

26.jpg

Of course there's more at my website, if anyone's interested. (I'd leave a link to it, but I don't want to be accused of any forum crimes.)

GPrime85 on

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Read the rules please. No "sitewhoring", that means: post images in your thread instead of linking to your website. These threads are for critique not publicity.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    You've got some nice stuff going on, stylistically. The hatching on the log in particular is pretty fantastic. Be wary of how you do your crosshatching, though. The distant background of that one, and some of the foreground details, have a lot of perpendicularly overlapping lines and its giving them the burlap sack effect. Don't overlap at 90 degree angles.

Similarly, I'd avoid straight horizontal or vertical hatching unless it's being used to describe the surface of something that's straight horizontal or vertical, and even then, you can probably figure out ways to make the hatching more interesting. Part of what makes the hatching on the log and other parts of the piece so effective is the use of the angled hatching, the way you've got it does a really excellent job of conveying the form, and furthermore it's just more interesting to look at than rows and columns of hatch marks. If you want to keep the hatching on your characters more simple - which is fine, you probably want that contrast - then you definitely need to be mindful of the best way to execute those lines. Use lines that are going to interact in interesting ways with your outline, aren't going to cause tangents, and don't unintentionally flatten the image.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You are welcome to link your site in your signature.

I really like that first image, but find it strange that you gave the dude a white outline in the reflection. Cool comics, I hope you keep posting! Do you have any goals/aspirations? Is there anything you've been looking to get crits on, in particular?

• GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the tip, Iruka - truth is, I don't really know much about forum etiquette so I'm having to learn as I go.

The first image is actually a screenshot for a game I was working on (which got cancelled) called "The Adventures of Dash". The character's sprite has a white outline to help separate him from the background layer since both he and that entire level would have been drawn in black and white.

Would it be considered impolite to keep posting my art in this forum as I add more to my site? I'd be happy to, but I don't want to catch any heat or be accused of spamming or something.

As for goals/aspirations, I guess at the moment I'm just trying to get my work/name out there, do the networking thing, see where I can improve. I'm not really plugged into any art communities either, so I'm hoping I can change that. I regularly visit PA and made an account so I could comment on Strip Search episodes, so while I was at it I figured I'd give this a shot too.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I will dredge up this hatching insight from an ancient AC member Iridum Ape:

cross%20hatching%201.jpg

cross%20hatching%202.jpg

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Prime...def post MORE!