PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

1232426282932

Posts

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    Renneesme wrote: »
    Question about the badges: I have single day ones for all three days. Should I take them individually or is it ok to put all three together on a lanyard? Also, I hear that lanyards are given out at PAX but should I get one to put my badge on for Friday morning?

    PAX is going to hate this answer, but here it is.

    If you bought a 3 day pass you are entitled to 1SWAG BAG. If you bought 3 - 1 day Passes you are entitled to 3 SWAG BAGS. Honestly, I would not wear the prior days passes, because when you go to grab a swag bag, the "Didn't you get one yesterday?" question will be asked by at least one person.
    I'm not sure how that relates to the question. If you're going to be a jerk and take more than one swag bag (for whatever reason... not like there's much in there), you're likely going to have thought of that already. It doesn't really matter whether or not "pax is going to hate this answer." If you take more than one bag for yourself, you're being a jackass. You can rationalize it however you want, but that's just the way it is. Just because you "can" or "feel entitled" does not make you less of a jerk for taking more than one.


    To actually answer the question... for normal people just going about their con, it really just comes down to preference or fear of losing the badges. Some people wear one at a time because they think they will be safer in the hotel room. Some people wear them all because they like it that way, or because they fear not having them and losing them some other way.

    zerzhul on
    AnnaRoyalJackWren
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA Registered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    what are in these swag bags and were do u get them.

    you get them in the queue room and it varies. Usually a guide, some decks of cards and other gaming stuff

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mostly advertisements. Sometimes some magic cards, or a code to redeem a game. You also get the show program which is always nice to have.

  • DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that relates to the question. If you're going to be a jerk and take more than one swag bag (for whatever reason... not like there's much in there), you're likely going to have thought of that already.

    For normal people just going about their con, it really just comes down to preference or fear of losing the others.

    How is getting what you paid for being a Jerk? 1 Bag per ticket has always been the rule, not that it has been enforced or monitored closely, but this year the badges have scan codes and numbers on them which means someone plans on monitoring something. Three day badges are cheaper then 3 1 day badges for a reason, one of those reasons is ONE SWAG BAG. If PAX wants to limit the swag bags then they would sell more 3 days badges instead of charging the same person for Fri Sat and Sun.

    But to your point, the more badges you wear on one lanyard, especially the poorly functioning PAX ones, only adds weight which will cause them to fall off unless tied properly. And no matter how observant you are, you will not notice one falling off on the crowded expo floor.



  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that relates to the question. If you're going to be a jerk and take more than one swag bag (for whatever reason... not like there's much in there), you're likely going to have thought of that already.

    For normal people just going about their con, it really just comes down to preference or fear of losing the others.

    How is getting what you paid for being a Jerk? 1 Bag per ticket has always been the rule, not that it has been enforced or monitored closely, but this year the badges have scan codes and numbers on them which means someone plans on monitoring something. Three day badges are cheaper then 3 1 day badges for a reason, one of those reasons is ONE SWAG BAG. If PAX wants to limit the swag bags then they would sell more 3 days badges instead of charging the same person for Fri Sat and Sun.
    If there was an infinite supply, it wouldn't be an issue, but there's not. By taking more than one for yourself you could potentially be contributing to the issue of some people not even getting one. Anyhow, this is unrelated to anyone's questions, so if you want to chat about this further, please PM me.

    zerzhul on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    Renneesme wrote: »
    Question about the badges: I have single day ones for all three days. Should I take them individually or is it ok to put all three together on a lanyard? Also, I hear that lanyards are given out at PAX but should I get one to put my badge on for Friday morning?

    PAX is going to hate this answer, but here it is.

    If you bought a 3 day pass you are entitled to 1SWAG BAG. If you bought 3 - 1 day Passes you are entitled to 3 SWAG BAGS. Honestly, I would not wear the prior days passes, because when you go to grab a swag bag, the "Didn't you get one yesterday?" question will be asked by at least one person.


    031256-evil-baby-glare-off.jpg

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    BearTheHumanLevelUpLadyGoocruxGhostDanzeromyst
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    AnnaRoyal wrote: »
    I has question... Are there any rules on vaping imposed by either PA or BCEC? I mean I don't use vapes with nicotine so I don't see why it would bother anyone, and who doesn't like the smell of sweets and mint. =)
    This has been a public health topic in MA lately, and I can easily see someone having an issue with it being done inside. Here are my two recommendations:
    1. If someone like an Enforcer or BCEC staff does approach you about this, just politely acknowledge and stop. It's not worth the hassle or risk getting asked to leave.
    2. Avoid the entire confrontation entirely by only doing it outside
    There aren't really any studies out that prove or disprove that they cause any problem, but people still equate it with smoking, so you're bound to run into someone who has an issue with it. There are bars that flat out tell people they can't do it inside.

    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    zerzhulSmallLadyishtra
  • apparentlymaryleeapparentlymarylee Jersey City, NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys! I feel much better about bringing a grand when we're driving up there and aiming to get there Wednesday afternoon.

    About the vaporing, I use an e-cig, but I'm still not one of those people who'll use it in a bar. I'd assume you should just not indoors. No one wants to be "that guy".

    apparentlymarylee on
  • NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    Hi, I was just curious how much it would cost me to park at the convention center for a day. Also, does anyone know how much of a hassle it is to get in and out of? (The PAX website link for this info doesn't seem to be working for me)
    Thanks!

    Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys! I feel much better about bringing a grand when we're driving up there and aiming to get there Wednesday afternoon.

    About the vaporing, I use an e-cig, but I'm still not one of those people who'll use it in a bar. I'd assume you should just not indoors. No one wants to be "that guy".

    This. Remember Wheaton's law is "Don't be a dick". I would definitely consider contacting the BCEC about its policy on vapes (I vape, it got me off of cigarettes) to be sure, but in all honesty, people are going to equate it to smoking, so I don't vape where I couldn't smoke. It's a pain, but keep in mind that you've got thousands of other people that you're in close quarters with. Follow Wheaton's law and you'll be fine.

    BearTheHuman on
    SmallLadyLe_Goat
  • grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    I have a question about the shuttles. I'm staying at the Westin and want to go the ASUS party, I was planning on taking a shuttle to the nearest hotel to get there which shouldn't be a problem, but can I take a shuttle back to the BCEC from said hotel? I noticed on the shuttle schedule it says "return to hotels from BCEC" Would that mean I can't take that shuttle back to the BCEC during those hours?

    PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    Will the security station that verifies badges be open on Thursday April 10th?

  • sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    Nanaki wrote: »
    Hi, I was just curious how much it would cost me to park at the convention center for a day. Also, does anyone know how much of a hassle it is to get in and out of? (The PAX website link for this info doesn't seem to be working for me)
    Thanks!

    Usually $10-$15 a day at the convention for self park...there is a valet but not sure the price since I have not used it in the past.



  • JackWrenJackWren Registered User regular
    Nanaki wrote: »
    Hi, I was just curious how much it would cost me to park at the convention center for a day. Also, does anyone know how much of a hassle it is to get in and out of? (The PAX website link for this info doesn't seem to be working for me)
    Thanks!

    Parking at the BCEC fills up pretty quickly, despite it being a large lot. Try to get there early if you can. As for Valet, I used the service in a pinch a couple years ago and at the time it was $25, but the price may have changed since.

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    what are in these swag bags and were do u get them.

    Along with the usual MTG intro packs and League of Legends skin unlock, at Prime 2013, there was a PAX specific Cards Against Humanity pack. But you didn't get all the cards (they had commons/uncommons/rare). So there was some real horse trading going on for people trying to complete sets.

  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Ricin wrote: »
    Will the security station that verifies badges be open on Thursday April 10th?
    Probably not, but there should be some enforcers by the doors of the North Lobby and the Info Booth that can check it.

    -Beker/Erick
    gQPRxvs.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There are significantly cheaper parking places nearby that require maybe ten or fifteen minutes of walking. Walking will be your main activity that whole weekend, so consider it an opportunity to limber those legs up.

    YL9WnCY.png
    Le_Goat
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno, $10-15 seems pretty cheap for boston for me to not have to walk as far :) although I'm not bringing a car this year.

    imnotalawyer
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    We typically don't bring a car, but we all crashed at a friend's place last year and the walk was still shorter than what we would do going from the hotel in previous years.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • akl3inakl3in Registered User regular
    What is Acquisitions Inc? I'm interested to see a D&D game, but I'm not very knowlegable about it. How long will it last? Will someone who's never seen or heard a D&D game enjoy it?

  • KayTee86KayTee86 Registered User regular
    akl3in wrote: »
    What is Acquisitions Inc? I'm interested to see a D&D game, but I'm not very knowlegable about it. How long will it last? Will someone who's never seen or heard a D&D game enjoy it?

    It's a WotC sponsorred D&D game where the PA and PvP guys play D&D and it's recorded for your entertainment. They named their adventuring party, Acquisitions Inc. You can see/listen to the podcast history here.

    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/podcasts.aspx

    And live plays at PAX Prime are on youtube, starting in 2010.

  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
  • WiFiPunkWiFiPunk Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »

    This is correct, it was signed late last year so you can get a hefty fine, although does anyone from the area know how enforced it is if at all?

    Also, here's a fun infographic for vapers of stuff to keep in mind (just keeps me from asking you to take it outside)
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-9-laws-of-e-cigarettiquette-infographic-2013-9

    PAX East 2015 Status: Badge[X] Hotel[X] Car[X] Vacation[X]
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Your best bet is to just assume it will be enforced.

    Anyways, the question was asked if it was allowed. The answer is that there is a law against it, so no.

    Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    zerzhul
  • WiFiPunkWiFiPunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Your best bet is to just assume it will be enforced.

    Anyways, the question was asked if it was allowed. The answer is that there is a law against it, so no.

    I wasn't asking for myself, I mostly just wouldn't want to ask someone if they could take it outside only to get fined because a cop felt like being a dick.
    EDIT: After looking at it a bit more, "MGL c.270, s. 22. Smoking in Public Places", and various bits on the internet, you should be fine as long as you're outside (and not in a park).

    WiFiPunk on
    PAX East 2015 Status: Badge[X] Hotel[X] Car[X] Vacation[X]
  • didlyboopdidlyboop Registered User new member
    would anyone happen to know whether or not i can park in the parking lot until close? I would like to be there until 12 on Saturday but, i need to park in the lot so i'm hoping i will be able to park there until 12 at night.
    Thanks!

  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Your best bet is to just assume it will be enforced.

    This is good advice no matter what the law.
    didlyboop wrote: »
    would anyone happen to know whether or not i can park in the parking lot until close? I would like to be there until 12 on Saturday but, i need to park in the lot so i'm hoping i will be able to park there until 12 at night.
    Thanks!

    last year lot was open until 3am (an hour after show close) so it will probably* be available until 1am

    *no guaruntees but is the most likely scenario

    Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
    PAX Unplugged 2017 checklist: Complete
    PAX East 2018 checklist: Accomodations [X] Enforcer Roll Call [_] Travel [X] Time Off requested [_] Time Off approved [_]
    zerzhul
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a bag check at the convention like there was at Anime Boston this year?

  • Jax7786Jax7786 Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »
    Is there going to be a bag check at the convention like there was at Anime Boston this year?

    There has been a bag/coat check the last two years that I have been with a few locations throughout the convention center. Pretty sure they'll be there again this year.

  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Are we allowed to ask questions about hotel stuff here? The hotel thread seems pretty strict and I didn't know where else to ask.

    I just re-checked my OnPeak email and saw that my hotel reservation at the Midtown is "Single Occupancy - 2 Beds". What does that mean? Am I sharing the room with someone else? Are they seriously gonna give me a room with two beds in it? If so, I'd much rather split the room/cost of the room with a forum (nongendered usage of the term) "bro". Just seems like a waste otherwise. I mean, I have earplugs if either of us snore. Provided they don't smell and just use the room for sleeping/eating/maybe building a small fort, I don't see why I'd have any issues having a roommate for the weekend. But I can't make an offering to host without an assurance to what sort of living situation I will be having come PAX East weekend.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I would assume this is what it would mean yes.

  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Jax7786 wrote: »
    XX55XX wrote: »
    Is there going to be a bag check at the convention like there was at Anime Boston this year?

    There has been a bag/coat check the last two years that I have been with a few locations throughout the convention center. Pretty sure they'll be there again this year.

    Perhaps I should paraphrase: Is security going to be checking people's bags as people walk in? This happened at Anime Boston and it was a real pain going through the security checkpoint.

  • mcs2319mcs2319 Registered User new member
    Hi,

    I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet but I'm getting concerned. I bought three individual day badges when tickets first came out. The status on showclix changed to Shipped a few weeks ago, and all my friends have gotten theirs, but I haven't. I live in Massachusetts and have the same mailing address that I provided for the tickets to be delivered to. Haven't changed it since. I was wondering, does it usually take this long for badges to come in? Am I going to miss out on PAX if they don't? I don't really know what else to do. I've tried contacting them via e-mail and haven't received a response.

  • QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    mcs2319 wrote: »
    Hi,

    I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet but I'm getting concerned. I bought three individual day badges when tickets first came out. The status on showclix changed to Shipped a few weeks ago, and all my friends have gotten theirs, but I haven't. I live in Massachusetts and have the same mailing address that I provided for the tickets to be delivered to. Haven't changed it since. I was wondering, does it usually take this long for badges to come in? Am I going to miss out on PAX if they don't? I don't really know what else to do. I've tried contacting them via e-mail and haven't received a response.

    I also live in MA and got my passes a while ago. If yours don't come, I believe you can just bring your confirmation email to the Helpdesk when you arrive at Pax, tell them they never came in, and they will give you passes (I did that back at 2011 Pax). Shouldn't be a problem.

    3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

    QGqFhNv.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are we allowed to ask questions about hotel stuff here? The hotel thread seems pretty strict and I didn't know where else to ask.

    I just re-checked my OnPeak email and saw that my hotel reservation at the Midtown is "Single Occupancy - 2 Beds". What does that mean? Am I sharing the room with someone else? Are they seriously gonna give me a room with two beds in it? If so, I'd much rather split the room/cost of the room with a forum (nongendered usage of the term) "bro". Just seems like a waste otherwise. I mean, I have earplugs if either of us snore. Provided they don't smell and just use the room for sleeping/eating/maybe building a small fort, I don't see why I'd have any issues having a roommate for the weekend. But I can't make an offering to host without an assurance to what sort of living situation I will be having come PAX East weekend.
    The room share sticky has strict rules, but there's actually a general hotel thread for hotel questions/discussion. However, any pax relevant question can be asked and answered here. To answer your question, yes, you are getting a room with 2 beds in it, and you told them single occupancy which means one person. That means the hotel is expecting you to have one person in the room. (that's all the occupancy means).

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    XX55XX wrote: »
    Is there going to be a bag check at the convention like there was at Anime Boston this year?
    I have not heard anything indicating that this would be happening. That's a solid question to ask via [email protected] though for an official answer.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    mcs2319 wrote: »
    Hi,

    I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet but I'm getting concerned. I bought three individual day badges when tickets first came out. The status on showclix changed to Shipped a few weeks ago, and all my friends have gotten theirs, but I haven't. I live in Massachusetts and have the same mailing address that I provided for the tickets to be delivered to. Haven't changed it since. I was wondering, does it usually take this long for badges to come in? Am I going to miss out on PAX if they don't? I don't really know what else to do. I've tried contacting them via e-mail and haven't received a response.
    Generally your location means nothing for badge shipments. They go out in massive staggered waves to the postal system, and sometimes it takes awhile for the system to get everything through. If you don't get your badges by the end of this week (april 4th), email [email protected] and let them know that you haven't received anything. Generally if you just show up, and do not contact them first, they will be less happy to help you than if you let them know ahead of time.

  • mcs2319mcs2319 Registered User new member
    Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until the end of this week. Only thing that aggravates me is that I've tried contacting them several times on several dates and haven't heard anything back. A response with something like "they may still come in soon!" would've been the least they could have done.

    But anyway, thank you. This is the most help I've gotten from anyone.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    The answer you would get at this point from them is simply "wait." Sometimes they can miss emails unfortunately. Their volume is pretty large. I would guess you'd be most likely to not get lost in a sea of emails if you try during normal east coast business hours.

    zerzhul on
  • earendil87earendil87 Registered User regular
    same thing happened to me, they're supposed to be sent but they haven´t arrived yet and I sent them an email at [email protected] but they never answered. The thing is that I live in Spain and if they are lost there's no way to fix it... but I'm glad to hear that in case I don't get them I can still claim them at the helpdesk

Sign In or Register to comment.