As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So today i left a job interview and expected the worst, but...do they like me?

ShaboubalahShaboubalah ShaboubalahGermanyRegistered User regular
Last week i went to a "multi-interview", its very common here in Germany and just consists of multiple applicants being in the same interview at the same time taking turns answering questions. Since there are 10 positions open for "level 1 (possibly 2 depending on experience) support" there isnt any competition between the interviewees.

Well, although im german, i grew up in the USA and therefore have a roughly 6th grade knowledge of german.

They called me back and invited me for an "assessment day" which is usually a full shift, of you simulating working at that particular job.

I ran into a block with the german technical terms, in english, it would have been a breeze, sadly for me, their customers are all german.

Heres the morbid part for me, after an hour into this assessment day, where i didnt understand half of the material written in the package i decided to just straight up tell the lady "hey, i dont understand most of this because of my lack in german language skills, im very sorry but im not going to keep wasting your and my time here, hopefully in the future after ive learned more german i can come try this again".

That was at 11 am today, at 2pm i got an email saying (translation): "were very fond of you and will keep your resume on record for when you feel your german has improved".

Is this genuine interest in my possible career there, or is this soemthing just to save their reputation? Theyre a contracting firm who deals with level 1 and 2 support for mostly website retailers.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd guess it's a canned response. Copy and pasted, but with no real opinion behind it either way.
    I know in the States it's pretty common for businesses to keep a record of who's applied, though outside of employment agencies, it's rare for them to call a person back.

Keep studying, then when you're more comfortable with german tech talk, give them a call.

• Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    As ex-HR (US though, not Germany), that sounds like a fairly standard response. Generally most companies will keep the resumes of all applicants on file so that they have something to look back on if the same person applies for the same position several times after being turned down or something.

It sounds like they would be willing to consider you again in the future, but you would definitely have to brush up on the language significantly in order for them to be willing to talk to you again. I would not expect to get that job any time in the near future, but you might consider reapplying in a year or so. So, if you're looking for a job you can work soon, look somewhere else. If you really were attracted to that job for some reason, work somewhere else while you get your German up to speed, and then reapply. Expect to have to go through the entire hiring process again, though, if you do.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    It definitely doesn't seem like a form response since they're specifically referencing the statement you made about your German skills. Ultimately though, I wouldn't bother trying to over-analyze such a short statement. If you feel in the future that you've improved enough to handle the language, call them up again.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It's either a canned response, or they're just being honest. Who knows, maybe you get a call in six months.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    They are just being nice to you, which it is in a certain way surprising considering how direct Germans are.

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    They probably liked your reactions and attitude, but need you to have the baseline skills before hiring you.