The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #8

• CuriousPencilCuriousPencil Registered User regular
    Oh Abby, you're deserving of an *arena* of D for this comic, and this well-earned win. I think you would've won even without the Cats "in" that's being touted as your triumph's reason. I have armed myself with multiple rented hands now, and all are applauding.

(mild tangent about the show)

What's beautiful about this whole thing is how Real Everyone Is: I've followed PA for more than a decade, and their introducing us to these artists is an immediately direct flesh&bone&blood "Recommend" that can only happen when you know and trust the recommenders; I've never felt more engaged with a 'reality show' than this one, because it's Real, which explains these paliptations when I watch.

emarecksaykay
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH ABBY! Nobody in the competition made Mike erupt in laughter like that before! I was clapping and cheering this whole episode. An absolute slam dunk! XD

CuriousPencilshiserBuchoemarecksaykay
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    Whoo! Abby is brilliant. Excellent stuff.

emarecksaykay
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yllanes wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that writing the comic on paper gives Abby a slight edge? I mean, the Creators get a fresh look at her complete comic, rather than seeing the process as with the other artists. This maybe helps give her comics an extra punch.

The monitors above the artists are fed from cameras pointing at their workspace, they're not mirrors of the computer display. Plus, Mike does walk around and look over their shoulder as well. They pretty much see as much of hers as they do of others; the only difference is that the paper never zooms like artists do in Photoshop. But I don't think the creators can read the text either of them are working on regardless.

foo on
    RampachsBuchoparmeisanemarecksaykay
  • KazitronKazitron Registered User regular
    "More cats and all the D I can get" is a good philosophy

Buchoparmeisan
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Really glad I watched this at home.

I laughed so hard at Abby's comic.

Would have looked like a lunatic at work.

walrus.png
    ArbitraryDescriptoremarecksaykay
  • d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    Hmm... Personally, I didn't like Abby's strip very much. Oh well.

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Who was it who was saying that redraw tickets were rubbish? - Redraw tickets are awesome.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    BuchoBoardGameBodhisattva
    Coming soon to a stripsearch near you:

airbender.jpg

Jerry, the last Airbender.

ElbasunuMekkaBKerensky287Angry_SamoanInkstain82Spman2099HanClintoAlexAlexanderdejavu,againemarecksaykayfightinfilipinojdarksunKid Presentable
  • MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    And the Dick van Patten Father Of The Year award goes to Graham for his closing: "now, off you go."

/and all of us on #teamSkadi are eying #teamTangent warily...

Spman2099
  • there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    Well done, Abby, although I didn't find the comic as hilarious as Mike did, it was more than OK.

Tavis's looked great, if he could have just added any decent text, even a single line, it could've made a great comic, but as it stands... it was really not up to scratch.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    When Mike lost it that was it. Very happy for you Abby, great work. And you brought the banter as well. Take it all the way!

DexOZemarecksaykay
  • AuscultaAusculta Registered User new member
    After the Sherlock Holmes dick joke, I expected Abby to win this one. Tavis' comic made me smile, her's made me giggle like a fiend.

emarecksaykay
  • Kerensky287Kerensky287 Registered User regular
    I'm a huge fan of Abby's work, so when she got picked for elimination I basically went, "Oh crap, a 50/50 chance of my favorite artist on the show getting kicked off!"

Then she rolled back her sleeves, stuck her hand in the wastebasket and, like some sort of guided missile, picked out the word "cats."

I nodded to myself and said, "Yeah, she'll be fine."

Spman2099HanClintohotzpemarecksaykayLexxyBoardGameBodhisattvaUEAKCrashshoeboxjeddy
    Favourite moment of the episode was between the artists leaving the studio, but before flashing up Tavis' strip: but you had to watch for it.

oz_in_exilePsykomaGamercowemarecksaykayLavidius
  • Korbei83Korbei83 Registered User regular
    Well played.

Great to see my top 3 are all still in the game.

emarecksaykay
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I hope they let Tavis go back to his family after this, instead of sitting in a hotel for another three days waiting for the whole thing to end (barring some sort of a callback on the last day, a la every reality show ever).

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    JohnnyOmaha
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    When this series started, and a little before it, I took a look at the competitors and figured that maybe 4-5 of them were essentially "sacrificial lambs". While every artist on this show has been good, I figured there were a few who were pretty inexperienced and would be able to use this show as new exposure, but would get bounced in their first elimination. It happened to four of those five (Alex, Ty, Nick and Monica), but boy was I wrong about Abby.
    Not only does Abby have the skill, she also has the wit, is naturally funny, and, judging from her banter, she gets along better with Mike and Jerry than any of the other artists. I have become a big Abby fan as a result of this show.
    While I would be more than fine if any one of these final four win the competition, I'm really hoping Abby gets it.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    shiserPsykomaWarribsBuchoemarecksaykayBoardGameBodhisattva
  • oz_in_exileoz_in_exile Registered User regular
    I can't help but feel that Tavis just gave up. I mean, mad props to Abby - she's surprised me twice now - but c'mon. This is the guy who took down Lexxy? It was his to lose...and I guess we can see how that worked out.

• elheberelheber Registered User regular
    I'm at the start of the video, and I haven't scrolled down below this text box... but when I saw "CATS", I instantly screamed, "Abby's got this in the bag!!!" Cat in the bag.

emarecksaykay
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    I'm saying it's Maki v. Lexxy in the next elim, and a Katie/Abby final two unless the Maki/Lexxy winner takes the last competitive challenge.

I think unless Maki wins immunity he's going in for sure. Only person left to not go in twice.

kolybry wrote: »
    on a technical note: the cameraman/woman needs to keep his hands of the focus, there were some weird shots of mike and jerry going out of focus. might have been an artistic choice, but it was bothering me.

Yes, I don't remember them having this problem before, but there were about a half dozen distracting blur-outs.

hotzp wrote: »
    Tavis' comic was one panel away from being hilarious. Third panel: Rear view of the car, showing a "Pussy Magnet" bumper sticker. I also preferred the multiple cats sketch, but I understand he felt he was pressed for time.

Great idea, but it would have to have many cats instead of one big one. I almost wish he had tried it in black and white to keep it under 90 minutes, but that's not his style.

Really great episode. Abby getting into cartooning because of all the D it would bring was a hilarious line. She finished in like 80 minutes too.

• Erix The RedErix The Red Registered User regular
    Tavis' comic was one panel away from being hilarious. Third panel: Rear view of the car, showing a "Pussy Magnet" bumper sticker.
    Oh my God, yes! That would be incredible. If he made it a sports car instead of that Truly Nolen thing.

Rogjahzerzhulfullofgrace
  • lavonialavonia Registered User regular
    The car in Tavis's comic is from a company called (Truly) Nolan, who deals in mice and pest extermination. The car has mouse ears and a mouse tail, making the comic much funnier if you get that part. If he could have worked in a still shot of the guy working or talking on the phone before with a full shot of the car in the background, maybe more people could have put the reference together. Nolan is in Phoenix, never seen them anywhere else, so not sure how many would get it.

RogjahHanClintoemarecksaykay
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Not only does Abby have the skill, she also has the wit, is naturally funny, and, judging from her banter, she gets along better with Mike and Jerry than any of the other artists.

THIS is a huge part of why I want Abby to take it out. Not only would the PA offices help make Abby a better Abby, it's pretty clear Abby would make the PA offices a better PA offices at the same time. Plus there's a good chance she'll pop up in future PATVs to be all hilarious on camera like she does.

OverloadedSpman2099MKF36Eemarecksaykay
  • ArenowArenow Registered User regular
    Tremendous strip by Abby. She's definitely one of the 3 finalists, and a fair contender to the winning prize.
    Maki should try and do his best in the next afternoon challenge, or else he's going to the Elimination contest for sure. All other contestants have been there twice by now.

steam_sig.png
    emarecksaykay
  • shisershiser Registered User regular
    Fatal mistake by Tavis in basing the comic on a business that has no franchises in the Pacific Northwest (where the judges live). I had no idea there was even a joke in the comic until I looked up the name he referenced (had never heard of that business or seen their cars) and found out it actually was funny.

Yeah, wow. I heard he said "something" car, but since it wasn't clear and utterly unfamiliar to me, I just brushed it off. Looking up "Truly Nolen" definitely took his strip from a huh to a haha.
    Still would have picked Abby's, but at least some insight into what Tavis was going for was nice, and I'm sure that people for whom the reference "clicked" would actually have found it funny from the get-go, rather than just surreal.

PHOTO_13568666_63278_21932090_ap_420X315.jpg

Or at least differently surreal ;-)

ArbitraryDescriptorAnana11HanClintoemarecksaykay
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've gotta say, I am a BIG fan of Katie and she's my second pick to win, but I think people are kind of overestimating her chances. As a pure visual artist she can top anyone (including Lexxy) with her distinctive style. But neither of the strips she has put out so far were particularly funny. I thought her outer-space ping pong strip was charming and amusing but in terms of comedy it doesn't come close to the strips the other remaining artists have produced. Her second strip wasn't really funny at all. And I'd say that's typical based on her work on Skadi, which is cool and hugely charming -- but I don't think I really laughed at any of the the strips in the archive.

It makes me sad to say it because I think she's really deserving of the win, but for Mike and Jerry's tastes I think she's a long shot.

Lamp on
    parmeisanemarecksaykay
  • RogjahRogjah Registered User regular
    lavonia wrote: »
    The car in Tavis's comic is from a company called (Truly) Nolan, who deals in mice and pest extermination. The car has mouse ears and a mouse tail, making the comic much funnier if you get that part. If he could have worked in a still shot of the guy working or talking on the phone before with a full shot of the car in the background, maybe more people could have put the reference together. Nolan is in Phoenix, never seen them anywhere else, so not sure how many would get it.

Yeah, I didn't get that at all. Having that explained does make the comic funnier. I didn't even notice the mouse aspects of the car until you pointed it out. It wasn't super clear. I still don't think it would have been enough to win though.

The pussy magnet idea someone suggested might have made it a much tougher call. Tavis did make better use of both ideas. Abby really only used cats, cars was only tangentially related.

• JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    Abby's comic in this elimination made me laugh harder than any comic shown in this series so far. Goddamn she's good...

The Nolan car thing totally went over my head, but Tavis is damn good, too.

So anxious to see what they face next...

ArbitraryDescriptoremarecksaykay
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tavis' comic was one panel away from being hilarious. Third panel: Rear view of the car, showing a "Pussy Magnet" bumper sticker.
    Oh my God, yes! That would be incredible. If he made it a sports car instead of that Truly Nolen thing.

Or even better (at least with Tavis's art style and the cat he ended up going with), if the third panel was an "earlier" thing, where the guy screaming in panel one is sleazing about with his friends, saying "Guys, I'm telling you, this car is a HUGE pussy magnet..."

seegruT-boltOverloadedzerzhuljdarksunErix The Red
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    Great episode! Grand F**king Slam, Miss Abby! Maki better watch his butt or there's not going to be any "D" left in the house!! Katey is still my fav, but Abby has slowly wormed her way into my heart.

Funny, that everything up til now has only been a week. Feels much longer.
    Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

emarecksaykay
  • grygusgrygus Registered User regular
    Nipples 2, Surrealism 0. Keep it simple, artists!

Erix The Redemarecksaykay
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I can't help but feel that Tavis just gave up. I mean, mad props to Abby - she's surprised me twice now - but c'mon. This is the guy who took down Lexxy? It was his to lose...and I guess we can see how that worked out.

well, like he said... he really did get as close to a trope-style "these are my wife and kids" pre-death moment as one can have on a show like this.

wasn't surprised at all at the outcome.

I wouldn't say that Tavis threw it either... or that he would have won if not for the missing his family thing... because the comic that Abby put out was pretty impressive.

tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
    emarecksaykay
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    SMBC gave a shout-out to Abby's webcomic today in the news blurb.

foo on
    Anana11emarecksaykay
  • MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    kolybry wrote: »

on a technical note: the cameraman/woman needs to keep his hands of the focus, there were some weird shots of mike and jerry going out of focus. might have been an artistic choice, but it was bothering me.

noticed this, too.

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    How do you think each would have done with Theater and Cats?

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Abby's could have been exactly the same. The doctor just has to say "Get him into theatre immediately".

Bucho
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Abby still has the cat advantage.

Tavis still has the "I kinda miss my family" justified distraction .

And since "Cats" and "theatre" is kind of overdone as a joke anyway because of the musical and cats being everywhere on the internet already... it would have been harder to make a funny joke.

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
    emarecksaykay
    I dunno, I've currently got three jokes about cats and theatres that I like, and only two about cats and cars.

Incidentally: comics tonight.

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Abby's could have been exactly the same. The doctor just has to say "Get him into theatre immediately".

Yeah, this comic would have been exactly the same. Just have the doctor say the person had an accident at the theatre or something.

I was actually surprised that no one here had commented on the fact that the "car" element was totally irrelevant in the strip.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png