Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #8

1234568»

• MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    Finals will be Abby vs. Lexxy I feel.
    Exarch wrote: »
    I enjoy Abby's art, but greatly dislike her as depicted by the show. I don't really get why anyone is rooting for her, though clearly I'm vastly outnumbered/the only one hehe.

She's a 20 year old who acts like a 20 year old. What's the issue?

Bucho
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ahdok wrote: »
    ahdok wrote: »
    Who was it who was saying that redraw tickets were rubbish? - Redraw tickets are awesome.

Me.
    They're still pretty crap.

Tavis admitted that he had no ideas with either draw, so Abby would've likely won in either case.
    However, that redraw ticket gave Tavis the small off-chance of getting an idea. This is bad for Abby. Nor is Abby's draw off-limits to him.
    If Abby liked "theatre" better than "cars" then there would be no backsies.
    It also doesn't give her an extra degree of freedom by choosing between any combination of the three.

Dealing with your points one at a time.

1) You don't know that
    2) You don't know that
    3) You don't know whether or not Abby liked theatre or cars better,
    4) The choice of whether or not to use the ticket is an extra degree of freedom.

What do we know?

1) Abby didn't like the word Theatre
    2) Abby knocked it out of the park with cats + cars
    3) Tavis didn't knock it out of the park with cats + cars

These are things that you can gauge the worth of the ticket on. On that evidence, it seemed to work out pretty well. Your claims are kind of based on speculation, and they are equivalently evidenced to the following claims:

1) Tavis only had an idea for cats and cars at the last minute, but he could have come up with a theatre joke faster, so Abby had less chance of winning with theatre
    2) Abby hadn't got a joke for theatre, so the redraw ticket gives her a big chance of getting an idea. This is bad for Tavis.
    3) If Abby liked cars better than theatre, not having a redraw ticket would have really sucked.
    4) Not having a redraw ticket gives you much less control over the topics.

Terrible logic is terrible. I never made a claim of knowledge at any point. And the claim that Tavis did admit to having no ideas either way is a matter of record. And I'm a little ruffled that you think I have four points instead of one point and a few supporting sentences.

You don't get to pretend that the weight of evidence is on your side, because it really doesn't show anything other than that Abby won the challenge and is lucky. It does not demonstrate that the ticket helped her to that win and luck.

Pretend it was Tavis re-rolling "theater" for "cars" instead of Abby. This would be a totally rational decision in his case. If he has the greatest joke ever for "theater" and "cars," well tough shit, he's stuck with "cat" and "cars." And if he liked "cat" and "theater" marginally better, well tough shit again. No backsies. Abby gets a marginally more useful idea. Tavis loses big either way, with the off-possibility that he actually helped Abby win.

The truly worst case scenario would be if the difference in topics isn't merely a luxury for Abby, but the difference between being a close decision for Mike and Jerry between two equally "bad" comics and Abby making Mike have giggly fits.

As it is, I don't think the ticket was responsible for Abby's win. If you you read her comic, you can see that she'd be very good at improvisation, whereas Tavis is more topical and "journalistic." Abby's last elimination comic was only tangentially related to a "naughty mystery" at all, as her joke was really about a woman finding a thin pretext for sexing up Sherlock Holmes. Erika tried to actually make a joke that was topical, whereas Abby just used those things as window dressing on her actual joke.

Twenty Sided on
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    MontyRohde wrote: »
    I enjoy Abby's art, but greatly dislike her as depicted by the show. I don't really get why anyone is rooting for her, though clearly I'm vastly outnumbered/the only one hehe.

What is a 20 year old supposed to act like?

Spman2099emarecksaykay
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    The point is that I'm talking about a specific technique which highlights an incongruity between the actual result of a situation and the normal or expected result.

How about subverted expectations?

• sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    and now for something completely different...

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    It's F5 time again...

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    TheAngryGazeboSpman2099xThanatoSxmiaAusa
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular

The show depicts her as a smart, fearless, talented, humble young woman.

What's to like?

Spman2099emarecksaykay
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    And more F5ing...

miaAusaSpman2099
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Bucho wrote: »

The show depicts her as a smart, fearless, talented, humble young woman.

What's to like?

Mike has really taken a liking to her, she's even funny in some of the PAX stuff after the filming, makes you wonder if it gets down between abby and lexxy, Mike does get on her portrait alot, I think he likes her extra special, he focuses on her boobs alot, heh. I think her tangent issues have helped her more in the end.

Also I've seen to worn out my f5 key this reminds me of homestuck updates

miaAusa on
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    Well, looks like another late episode. Oh well. The good news is I bet it's packed full of final four stripper interaction and spontaneous drawing, so we have something nice to look forward to.

Anyway... watching this episode, and reading the comics after, and thinking about the show in general, I've come to realize something. I really want another season of this show, not just because it's awesome, but because I really want to meet another 12 cartoonists and get to know their work. I've become really big fans of a lot of these people, and I want to be a fan of more comics. I don't often add new comics to my comics bookmark folder, but I'd like to.

In no particular order:

Alex has lot of potential. His comic has made me laugh quite a bit already, and I think as he gets more experience, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with in just a few years. I see what Mike sees in him. For how long he's been doing it, he's ahead of the curve. I definitely hope he sticks with it.

Maki's comic is great. It's often quite funny, the art is good, and I like science. I expect to be reading it forever, getting my viscoelastic polymers on. It makes me feel smart when I know the things already, and smarter when I learn something new.

Abby is so consistently hilarious I am pissed off at the universe when I go to her site and don't see a new strip up. It's like I've been robbed. Not cool, universe. I don't care if she uses pencil and ink, a digital tablet, watercolor, crayon, or finger paint. I just want to be entertained by Abby forever and ever. After seeing what she's capable of in 90 80 minutes, I am wondering if maybe we can stick her in some kind of tube filled with a nutrient-rich sludge, flash two new random words up on the inside of it every couple hours, and make her create comics 20 hours a day. She should have plenty of time for naps between drawing her ten strips each day, and the sludge would keep her mostly alive. Every month she can have a day off to see her family and friends. That's reasonable, right?

Monica does probably my second favorite comic of the group. It's certainly one I am invested in now. It's not really quite the type of comic I normally enjoy, but the humor is so excellent I have no choice but to keep going back to it. The art is also quite good in that cutesy sort of way that grabs ahold of you and won't let go.

Nick is also one of the strippers that I'm very interested in watching, going forward. Like Alex, it's going to be fun seeing him evolve as he's shown his tremendous potential. If anyone hasn't been following his new comic "Brother" you should totally do that.

I've been more of a fan of Erika Moen the person than any particular work she's done. I was familiar with some of her work before the show. I'm a lot more familiar with it now. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for her in the future. I may not read her comic(s) all the time, but I'll like knowing what she's up to and if I saw her at a convention I'd probably buy something from her to give her my support.

Amy has made me a fan. I don't really like her comics a lot, but I like her brand (her). I was a fan of hers from the very beginning of Strip Search, based on how she schemed and such. I want to follow her career, and though I'm less interested in her comics, I'm going to read them anyway to support her and hopefully I'll like them more as time goes on. I'm looking forward to any AmErika collabs, too.

I haven't really seen much of Ty, Mac, Tavis or Katie's existing work. Lexxy of course hasn't produced anything yet. I'm probably going to start reading Tavis and Katie soon. I'll give Ty and Mac a chance too, probably after that.

This show has really added to my weekly comic reading, in a substantial way. I want to be exposed to more webcomics, because I'm absolutely certain now that there is a lot of really great talent out there that doesn't get enough attention. I really need Penny Arcade to find those webcomics and bring them to by attention, because I don't think I'm going to find them on my own. As much as I've enjoyed this show, what I've enjoyed even more is all the comics I've gotten to read that I never would have heard of without this show. So thank you, Penny Arcade, and please make more seasons forever and ever.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    BuchoxThanatoSxoz_in_exileparmeisanmiaAusa
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Ty's journal comic is very good, and Mac is a tremendous artist.

parmeisanmiaAusa
  • oz_in_exileoz_in_exile Registered User regular
    After everything that's gone down up 'til now, I'm gonna make a prediction: Lexxy vs. Abby in the finals. Who's gonna win? F'd if I know....

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    I've seen the episode, but no thread!

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure if Tavis had a redraw ticket and those topics, he'd have redrawn cats, given that cats are Abby's wheelhouse.

You appear to be largely arguing that less control over the course of events is as good as more control, but you don't use your redraw ticket if you have a good idea, you only do it if you're stuck. A redraw ticket doesn't guarantee you'll be better off, but your expectations (in the mathematical sense) improve significantly.

To abstract the whole thing, if we're in a competition where we roll a D6 and try to get the highest value, I'd think that having the option for one re-roll was stronger than no re-rolls, and I'd re-roll my dice if I rolled a 1-3. Sure, I might turn a 3 into a 2, but probability dictates that I have the advantage in this game.

I don't think the redraw ticket was responsible for Abby's win either (to be honest, I can't see Abby losing -any- showdown in this format, her talents are very well suited to it.) - however, it's still the case that redraw tickets are pretty awesome.

ahdok on
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    emarecksaykay
  • SirTwitchSirTwitch Registered User regular
    Abby keeps surprising me! She's much, MUCH better than I originally anticipated. Of the artists' websites I've looked at, hers seems consistently funnier than most. I started out kind of just waiting for Abby to get eliminated, but now I think I want her to win!

emarecksaykay
  • mackmanmackman Registered User new member
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight:

You're a cartoonist. You spend so much time worrying about your art-- you take art classes, you draw every day, you spend hours and hours crafting each strip, getting the lines and the colors just right... But when folks read it, all they're looking for is a joke, and if the joke isn't funny, your strip is instantly discarded.

One day, you're selected to enter a cartooning competition, in which your work will be judged by the best-known cartoonist on the Web. You create a strip, and when he reads it, all he's looking for is a joke, and if the joke isn't funny, your strip is instantly discarded.

The life of a cartoonist seems terrible.

Oh, oh, let me try!

"You're a comedian. You spend so much time worrying about public speaking--you take public speaking classes, you practice your elocution every day, you spend hours and hours learning how to speak clearly, how to enunciate, how to use various tones and speaking styles and rhetoric... But then, when you get up on the stage at the comedy club, people just want you to be funny, and if you aren't, then you're booed off the stage!

The life of a comedian seems terrible."

The "quality" of the art, as some people on this forum are using the word--linework, colors, "polish"--are only half, and not even the most important half, of what makes a good webcomic. It's all about communicating the funny, and the art is only good if it succeeds in that job (XKCD is the ultimate proof of this). What makes me truly appreciate PA as a webcomic isn't the fact that Gabe, Tycho, and the environments are drawn really well (although they are): What makes PA good is the combination of the writing with the art: The facial expressions, the body language, the reaction shots. The art communicates the funny, as is its purpose in a webcomic.

Penny Arcade is looking for funny, and technical prowess in and of itself doesn't play a role in making something funny: The greatest artist in the entire world may well be balls-out terrible at making a comic strip, just as the greatest public speaker in the world could easily make a terrible comedian.

PS: Not solely aimed at the dude I quoted: This is for everyone who's acting surprised that a wbcomic is supposed to be funny.

parmeisanemarecksaykayPsykoma
    With regard to the question of when people started underestimating Abby and/or where we might have gotten the impression that a large number of people were doing so... I think a part of it would have been this from the Artist's page on the StripSearch site:
    The youngest Artist in Strip Search, Abby doesn’t have the same level of experience as the others. That said, her sense of humor is... unique, and the fact she made it on to the show means she has real talent. Will this be her chance to shine, or will her lack of confidence and a slim comic portfolio be her downfall?
    They clearly wanted us to think that way, and I suspect if we go back through the episodes we would find more than one example of her inexperience getting a brief spotlight.

emarecksaykay
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    parmeisan wrote: »
    With regard to the question of when people started underestimating Abby and/or where we might have gotten the impression that a large number of people were doing so... I think a part of it would have been this from the Artist's page on the StripSearch site:
    The youngest Artist in Strip Search, Abby doesn’t have the same level of experience as the others. That said, her sense of humor is... unique, and the fact she made it on to the show means she has real talent. Will this be her chance to shine, or will her lack of confidence and a slim comic portfolio be her downfall?
    They clearly wanted us to think that way, and I suspect if we go back through the episodes we would find more than one example of her inexperience getting a brief spotlight.

Ah yes. Those. Lemme go through the others and see how much of this they did:

Alex: "The eternal optimist, Alex loves life more than anyone you'll ever meet. His carefree attitude is infectious to most, but sadly for him there's no prize for "Nicest Dude." Will his likability and charisma carry him through the competition, or will those same traits make him an easy, guilt-free target for the other Artists?" (Answer: the latter. Amy murdered him to death.)

Ty: "As the creator of a comic that details everyday life, Ty sees Strip Search not only as an opportunity to win the grand prize but as incredible source material! Like his strip, he speaks whatever is on his mind no matter the time or topic, but whether this translates to an asset or liability is yet to be seen." (Answer: liability. Hi, AJ.)

Mac: "The ideal candidate to "fly under the radar," Mac has an unassuming demeanor, a soft voice, and quite frankly, the natural disposition to just keep quiet. While he hopes his art will do the talking, he also sees Strip Search as an opportunity to test the boundaries on both his work and his interactions with other artists." (And he did fade into the background more than anyone else on the roster.)

Nick: "Growing up with a strong mother who independently raised him and his brother, Nick naturally falls into a nurturing role. While he openly admits that he is, in fact, here to make friends, his talent as an artist may put the target on him whether he likes it or not. The crew bestowed upon him the moniker "Cool Guy Nick," for obvious reasons."

Amy: "Confident, young, and ambitious, Amy sees Strip Search as an incredible opportunity for success and exposure, even going so far as to quit her job to be on the show. A hardcore gamer at heart, Amy sees the competition as just that - a game to be won. Word on the street is that she is, in fact, not here to make friends." (Well... until Lexxy returned.)

Erika: "One of the more established Artists in the group, Erika is looking to leverage both her experience in the field and natural charm to win Strip Search. Coming into the house with a history of success and a loyal following make her an obvious target, but that experience will serve her well in the competition."

Monica: "Hyperactive and bubbly, Monica makes friends fast and is no stranger to being the center of it all. Behind that, however, is a person that absolutely despises conflict and will do whatever it takes to avoid it... to a point. Will she crack under the pressure of a house full of competitors, or will she go home with the experience of a lifetime?" (To a point. Hoo boy.)

Tavis: "The only parent in the house, Tavis brings the patience and perseverance that only child-rearing prepares you for. His colorful art style and no-nonsense attitude will make him a likable addition to the competition, but his desire to win the grand prize is perhaps the greatest in the group. Could Strip Search be the break Tavis has been waiting for?

Katie: "Katie comes to the competition with years of professional experience and fans that follow her every move... some of whom are in the house. This, in combination with being one of the most talented Artists in the group, could make her a target. Will the other Artists see her as a threat, or will she be able to fly under the radar and avoid elimination?" (Answer: both, really. After the first two rounds, the first as the foil to knock off Alex, she hasn't been put up since.)

Lexxy: "Known for her appearance in Penny Arcade: The Series, Lexxy’s reputation as a skilled artist is impressive. After the “New Hire” episodes ran, she quit her job and set up shop as a contract artist and has been working full-time for large companies and game studios across the world. The one true extrovert in the pack, her skills and history with Penny Arcade make her an intimidating competitor."

Maki: "Influenced early on by Bill Watterson, Maki continues to draw inspiration from the likes of Kate Beaton, Meredith Gran, and Jon Rosenberg. One of the most logical Artists in the group, Maki isn’t one to make waves but he also understands when he needs to get aggressive. He loves science, pineapples, and staring out at the lake." (Pineapples, they said. Maki, they said.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    parmeisan
    I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point against what I said or were just going through the others? Because yeah, they were trying to polarize us on every one of the artists. Pick one personality trait or whatever and focus on it. People were asking about Abby specifically though.

• frnknstnfrnknstn Registered User new member
    After watching this episode, I went back and watched the first elimination again. The comic-destruction gag was simply tearing the loser's comic in two. As funny as the other gags are, that one had the advantage that the destruction of the comic itself was the sign that the contestant had lost. In most of the following eliminations, the result is revealed before the comic is destroyed. I liked the symbolism and simplicity of it.

parmeisanemarecksaykayBucho
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Webcomics don't need to be funny. Not every xkcd is funny, some are.just info diagrams (awesome info diagrams). The saame goes for sci-ence. Some are funny, some are educational.

Abominable charles christopher is more often touching than funny.

Gunnerkrigg Court is entirely story driven.

Sure, many of these comics have funny moments or strips, but I read Oots and Buttersafe four laughs, and these guys for what else they offer.

To take a home-grown example. I have over 300 "strips" in my comic archive, ranging from the very early rubbish strips, to the current better ones. 90% of the comics I make these days are a quick joke (or several jokes), yet over 50% of the pageviews I've had, in the whole history of my comic are for one particular entry. This entry isn't well drawn, and it's not a joke, yet it's way more popular than anything else I've done.

ahdok on
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • MadtownMadtown Registered User regular
    I just got caught up on the show. Sweet Christ, this is much better than I expected. Two quick thoughts:

1) Abby and Maki's elimination strips are the only two to really make me bust out laughing, and I'm hoping they're the final two. Lexxy's got some chuckles. Katie's probably the best artist, but least funny so far. They're all great though.

2) It sounds like Abby would have gone an entirely different direction, but all the speculation on whether swapping theater for car helped or not lead me to one thought -- same strip, but it's two cats sewn to the head of Abraham Lincoln after he gets shot at Ford's Theater.

Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    Uh, so the next episode's thumb has Abby in it. Since I was behind from Memorial Day, I went to catch up and saw that. Damn guys! Way to spoil elimination.

Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    zombiebot wrote: »
    Uh, so the next episode's thumb has Abby in it. Since I was behind from Memorial Day, I went to catch up and saw that. Damn guys! Way to spoil elimination.

It's rather a mystery to me why they try to keep the polls spoiler-free, but literally the first thing you see on the main page 2/3 of the time is a group shot involving several artists (and, in this case, the final four). In many cases, I think a shot of the actual competition would make a better thumb; i.e. show the aquarium or the donut shop sign for this one, the totem in some crazy place for Jungle Speed, a shot of the artists actually in the Go-Karts, etc.

parmeisan
  • CheyenneWayCheyenneWay Registered User regular
    thanks, now every time i go into surgery im going to ask for the cat stitch! My predictions are banana!

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »
    Xander25 wrote: »
    Okay...I don't get the joke in Abby's comic even a little bit.

Someone explain it, please?

The soul of the humor in this strip is not wit, so if your taste in comedy is primarily for wit, you probably did not find the comic especially nourishing.

Since it's not based on wit, there really isn't anything to "get". Either silliness tickles your fancy or it doesn't. Some people don't find Monty Python very funny, for example. WHICH IS CRAZY. But true.

I found Abby's comic especially funny in the context of a previous strip on her site about how cats sneak into your lap without you even noticing and become inconvenient.

Like, the surgeon didn't put the cat there. The cat just somehow got in there.

steam_sig.png
    Psykoma
  • FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    Abby's elimination strip doesn't hold up. It had an immediate absurdity, but familiarity leaves it flat.

• TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Familiarity Reduces Humour Of Joke: More At 11.

minor incidentzerzhulRuby Rhod
1234568»