As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arrested Development][Season 4 - 05/26] I just blue myself

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I forgot to check the credits at the end, but is the character "Debris" being played by Ellen D?

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Maria Bamford

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Went through the first 4. . .just not feeling it. The first episode was awkwardly-awesome, and the second did deliver the laughs, but overall the tone doesn't feel quite right.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    yeaaahh..the episode format/chronology is totally destroying this for me, i just cannot enjoy it at all :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    portia lost too much weight :(

I feel bad for her physically. still great acting though.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Didn't really enjoy it until episode 4. Things really clicked then.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Finished it up.

I liked it and hope they get another season.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Wow.

GOB got ripped.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Just finished the season. The over arching stuff got so messed up badly with this style, and you have to watch the whole season at once or in short close together runs in order for it to make sense...

There was alot of psychopathic treatment of side characters
    steve holt,Annyong, all Richter's brothers, Maeby's coworker. The only one who comes out positive is the old secretary who works for RH.
    The show felt like it was one sane person trying to keep the family together, this season is "watch a bunch of assholes running around treating each other like shit" with a timeline that is too hard to follow.

So this is totally what happened with L2:
    she got dizy and fell, Michael helped her into a hospital, she forgot who she was, he gets force fed a rufie and forgets he helped her

And yeah, as much as GOB pulled, that ending, holy shit.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Truth be told, the first three seasons had a stronger over-arcing plot than this: Getting to the bottom of the treason charges for the case against the Bluths.

I liked Season 4 mostly, but it had no strong over-arcing plot.

I would like to understand the Ostrich theme a bit better.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just finished episode 12, and the constant time shuffling character focus stuff is really dragging it down and I just want to yell at Ron Howard "you don;t need to talk brah, I just saw what you're talking about 30 minutes ago!" It kind of feels like they want you to watch it all in one sitting, yet at the same time they kept the exposition VO going just in case you wanted to watch it weekly, where it just doesn't hold up compared to the older seasons.

My enjoyment of the season so far is completely in line with a bell curve.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    And done.

Overall, not bad, but I stand by my earlier opinions. I can't really think of a better way of telling everything that happened in the time gap, but it got a little confusing (someone will definitely make a timeline), and it started really, really weak. Some jokes went on for far too long before paying off as well, such as...

(Final episode)
    The Mongol Hordes starting the Cinco de Quatro riot

Despite the way the episodes are structured though I don't think it has the same rewatchability that the original run has.

But the good news is now we are caught up, so hopefully if/however this continues (I think a movie is still on the table) it will be better.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    They did have a call out to Charlize Theron's character, and they used the Mr. F jingle a few times. I think that leave's Amy Poehler's character and Gretta as the only two side characters from the original that didn't make an appearance, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Also, regarding the disjointed timeline:

I got this vague impression as I was watching the show that the character-centric episodes were a necessity because not all of the actors were available at the same time. I think that's probably what led us to the situations where there is an inconsistency with how Portia appears. She was probably on set more than some of the people, and so we are able to make note of the way she changes. She actually looks more like her old self in the later episodes of the season, which leads me to believe that this whole thing was shot way out of sequence and then pieced together in editing.

Which also supports my theory that they only got certain actors for very short periods of time. i.e. they probably shot all the George-Michael stuff at the same time, because honestly, Michael Sera wasn't around much. Same with Buster. That guy was barely around, and other than the one episode that featured him, all the rest of his scenes were recycled a couple times each. Even Will Arnet had some fairly noticeable absences during parts of the show. I felt like the only people who were always on set through the whole thing were Jason Bateman, Portia, Jessica Walters, David Cross, and Jeffrey Tambor.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Thats a good point, and overall if I have been negative, I enjoyed the season, and frankly it was better than any 2 hour movie we would of gotten.

The whole repeating the plot and talking over things in a confusing way, was a gag. Also, remember that realeasing a new season in a day is a risk, we really dont know how people overall will watch it. Were loser diehards for sitting and watching it in 8 hours straight marathons.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Agree with Lucas up there a couple posts back. Very awkwardly disproportionate use of some characters and not others, punctuated by huge absences.

Seven episodes in, kind of disappointed. Certainly has some moments, but I'm far from thrilled. Also not sure I care for the absurd volume of cameos. Almost obnoxiously prevalent in the first few episodes.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    the fakeblock plotline is hilarious to me b/c i went into the social network thinking jesse eisenberg was michael cera

i half expect a ron howard 'george maharis' movie next season w/ jesse eisenberg but that joke might be too obvious

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh my god

This started kind of weak, but I'm on episode 12 and every episode I am losing my shit now

It really ramps up

Basically the first half of the season is all setup and it all starts paying off

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I know that they've mentioned they'd love to do another season and a movie but it would be incredibly tough with all the cast and getting together again.

Someone asked earlier about what metrics we use and it's a combination of increased streaming hours, subscription increases and a bunch of other stuff. This certainly seems like it was a worthwhile gamble though.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Alright the season turned a corner for the better literally the episode after I talked about how underwhelmed I was.

First Gob episode is amazing.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    This feels like half of a story line with the wall and L1's imprisonment and Michael and sons situation, I would assume there shooting for 1 more season.

P10 wrote: »
    the fakeblock plotline is hilarious to me b/c i went into the social network thinking jesse eisenberg was michael cera

i half expect a ron howard 'george maharis' movie next season w/ jesse eisenberg but that joke might be too obvious

They made a madoff joke and an enron joke when enron was the basis of the show and the family was doing what the madoff family was suspected of doing before it was a "thing". depending on how long it takes i wouldnt put it past them. this show was probably being written when the social network was a thing.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Wait people found this hard to follow? I thought if anything they did too good of a job pointing out exactly what was going on to the point where most of the last few episodes is rehashed stuff.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Poor poor Steve Holt, seems he really got the short end of the stick in terms of how his life turned out. :cry: Also, Portia de Rossi really seems alot more like her old self in the later episodes for whatever reason.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It's not hard to follow in an individual episode, but it is pretty hard to figure out a 5-year timeline with few reference points as to when things take place within that time. It's not really necessary, either, but it bugs me slightly.

For example, I'd have no idea that
    Lindsay and Mark Bark were together for over a year

if the narrator hadn't mentioned it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Tomanta wrote: »
    It's not hard to follow in an individual episode, but it is pretty hard to figure out a 5-year timeline with few reference points as to when things take place within that time. It's not really necessary, either, but it bugs me slightly.

For example, I'd have no idea that
    Lindsay and Mark Bark were together for over a year

if the narrator hadn't mentioned it.
    I feel like it literally says ONE YEAR LATER on one of the cuts.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Hinting that something big is coming without saying what it is is still spoilery. . .just saying. Even though I'm disappointed nearly halfway into the series, would still like to be surprised when things happen.

• Options
    Well Ed! I think you can assume that the show remains static and flat going through to the end of the season. Nothing major happens or changes in any of the characters lives at all.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well Ed! I think you can assume that the show remains static and flat going through to the end of the season. Nothing major happens or changes in any of the characters lives at all.

Don't be a turkey. . .or a goose. . .or fowl in general. This
    and other borderline bits in general speak more to just "Oh hey the characters aren't the same as they were in Second 1 of Episode 1!"

ED! on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Poor poor Steve Holt, seems he really got the short end of the stick in terms of how his life turned out. :cry: Also, Portia de Rossi really seems alot more like her old self in the later episodes for whatever reason.

Its the haircut. Extensions dont do her any favors apparently

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »

Don't be a turkey. . .or a goose. . .or fowl in general. This
    and other borderline bits in general speak more to just "Oh hey the characters aren't the same as they were in Second 1 of Episode 1!"

What about a

360px-Ostrich%2C_mouth_open.jpg

(That first quote was meant to be more than a little tongue in cheek, I even went back and covered up somethign that may be spoilery that I posted! Apologies if I offended.)

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    For the record. . .I wasn't referencing any of your posts.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Finished! Yeah, I cannot claim to have had an overly productive memorial day weekend. I liked the season overall, though I'm also not too crazy about the single character-focused format, and I kind of felt like it just sort of stopped instead of coming to a proper season finale climax...maybe that's what they're planning on doing with the movie?

Still, plenty of laughs to be had.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There was some pretty big changes:
    michael is a spoiled loser trainwreck now, GOB is gay, tobias is working as a doctor again(although forcibly) MAEBY arrested for sex with a minor and all her sources of income gone(although no character change), buster arrested for murder he also grew but we may see that reversed.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Fun little post viewing thought I read and then thought about SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT SEEN IT ALL:
    All signs point to Gene Parmesean being Lucille 2's killer. Another prominent character played by that actor was Colonel Mustard in Clue, a murder mystery movie. The characters bizarrely eat nothing but Kraft Parmesean and Yellow Mustard in the model home. Gene is seen buying knives when he's confronted in Job's episode.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I thought that was his day job? (selling) oh wait no...
    he was a fry cook

Also yeah the food in the home was a great gag I thought.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    There was some pretty big changes:
    michael is a spoiled loser trainwreck now, GOB is gay, tobias is working as a doctor again(although forcibly) MAEBY arrested for sex with a minor and all her sources of income gone(although no character change), buster arrested for murder he also grew but we may see that reversed.
    GOB and Tony are idiots not gay. Maybe sells out Barry to get off the charges hence his trial goes south. Micheal was always a spoiled loser he just generally tries to act better thwn his family. Unfortunately he doesnt have them as a crutch anymore

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Wow, so

this just sort of ... ends

I guess we're getting another season

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I thought that was his day job? (selling) oh wait no...
    he was a fry cook

Also yeah the food in the home was a great gag I thought.
    Well, there's still room for Lucille 2 not to be dead...if I recall correctly, that was right after Buster's bender with the red juice (I might need to double check that), and he did make a fake Lucille 2 doll...so they might just be setting up another pinata-as-surrogate-corpse gag. There was a lot of unexplored territory surrounding George Senior romancing her...

Darlan on
  • Options
    Wow, so

this just sort of ... ends

I guess we're getting another season

I sure hope so.

Maybe a movie.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That was a very crappy ending, and made my viewing experience almost a perfect bell curve.

The Buster stuff would have been better throughout the season as opposed to getting just one episode at the end.

I just have this weird sense of "I saw it, don't want to watch it again."

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    I loved the ending. Laughed so, so hard at it. I really enjoyed the season as a whole. Can't wait to rewatch it.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision