As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arrested Development][Season 4 - 05/26] I just blue myself

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Was the show not in HD for anyone else?

I was told Netflix adjusts the quality depending on your connection.
    Yea, but any show that is available in HD (as not everything has an HD source) has a "HD logo" type thingy on the control bar even if it's playing in HD or not. This then lights up when it buffers to HD.
    But Arrested doesn't have that when I play it, implying there is no HD source. I have a great connection and usually watch everything in HD.

It was in HD.
    I just checked again and it's not there, rolled over to Walking Dead and I have the HD marker. Very strange..

Are you in America?

I mean, I know for an absolute fact I watched it in HD.
    Yup. The only thing I can think of, is that I watched some of it on my phone. So perhaps I've encountered a small glitch.
    Then again it was a S4 (1080 screen) on wifi. Oh well, perhaps an excuse to watch it again.

Edit: Netflix customer support is telling me it's not available in HD. Even he sounded surprised.

That's bullshit. Where are you, and what kind of device are you trying to watch them on? I'm looking at the HD logo on each episode on my Apple TV right now. And they were def in HD as I watched them

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm in Pennsylvania. I usually watch it on a windows 7 PC but also on PS3. Haven't checked HD status on the console.

I'm at work til midnight or I'd check. Work in the AM but I'll try on some other devices sometime this weekend.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I just got done watching the new season tonight. When it started out it was kind of all over the place but somewhere around the first GOB episode it all came together and I was very pleased. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Gobs episodes are the best.

Really I would totally support a GOB show thats just him playing off crazy magicians and causing havok

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    GOB's episodes were good. Aside from not being crazy about everything they did, Jessica Walter made me love the Lucile episodes. The George Michael ones may be my favorites at this point, though that may be due to them being near the end and revealing a bunch of things about the season. The Maeby episodes were simultaneously hilarious and tragic.

I really hope there's something to the rumors of Netflix's CEO changing his tune recently and stating that Season 5 would be a good idea. I would definitely watch it.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Fantastic ending. I like the idea that if it stops here then the story is in arrested development. Full series spoilers:
    Regarding the parmesan and mustard (gene parmesan, colonel mustard, murderer) I think that's there as THE BIGGEST RED HERRING BLUFF EVER. Of course people are going to notice and think that. Why else would it be there? Possibly same thing for Michael's shirt but i think that's significantly subtler. I'm not sure what happened to Lucille 2 but i really love reading people's thoughts on motivations and what not. FakeBlock is THE MOST perfect thing that it ends up being a FAKE BLOCK. I think George Michael became my favourite character in this series and I want to see a series just centred around him. Michael Cera is sort of great all over though and needs to be in more things even if they flop and general audiences don't like him.
    Also. Maeby. Oof.

So you're saying it's like communism?
    curry-clue.jpg

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    GOB's episodes were good. Aside from not being crazy about everything they did, Jessica Walter made me love the Lucile episodes. The George Michael ones may be my favorites at this point, though that may be due to them being near the end and revealing a bunch of things about the season. The Maeby episodes were simultaneously hilarious and tragic.

I really hope there's something to the rumors of Netflix's CEO changing his tune recently and stating that Season 5 would be a good idea. I would definitely watch it.

I hope so. I began a new 30 day trial with Netflix for AD and after discovering how much better it is than Amazon Prime, I think I'm going to actually keep it (for the first time D: )

Jibba on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Lucille's Arrested Development.

This is just fucking brilliance.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I fucking lost it at that sharpened ramen bit. I had to pause the video when Lucille just tossed a cup of water at it and they went limp.

That or the George Michael episode is my favorite of teh season I think.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

I fucking lost it at that sharpened ramen bit. I had to pause the video when Lucille just tossed a cup of water at it and they went limp.

I had to stop it once they said the Chinese would help build the wall.

And wow Jessica Walter can sing pretty well.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I liked the finding names on the bottom of her stuff, and then she picks up that shitty clay ash tray GM made for her and she goes "And he's supposed to be the good one."

I think this season had a severe lack of Lucille though. Season 5 needs MOAR

Also did anyone say "I've made a huge mistake" this year?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular

I liked the finding names on the bottom of her stuff, and then she picks up that shitty clay ash tray GM made for her and she goes "And he's supposed to be the good one."

GOB, during the "Marry Me" scene in his episode

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Gobs episodes are the best.

Really I would totally support a GOB show thats just him playing off crazy magicians and causing havok

A GOB show where every episode either starts or ends with him taking a forget-me-now and doesn't remember what happened in the previous episode.

That would be great.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Re: Lucille2
    Ron Howard's voiceover said something along the lines of "And that's how Lucille2 became the invisible woman" or something like that. This leads me to believe she's just wandered off somewhere and the whole thing is a giant misunderstanding.

• Options
    Jessica Walter is fantastic in everything.

My vote for next Iron Man.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

She's been in a couple of Broadway things

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

I gather that mainly as a component of how they had to produce the show around everyone's conflicting schedules, every single episode has left me thinking, "I wish there was more of (a particular character)." The writing's brilliant, obviously, but what made the show fantastic was the interplay between the various characters. Only being able to work with a few at any given time is an unavoidable and unfortunate consequence of bringing this show back after the actors and actresses have already committed to other projects.

I'm enjoying the new season, but I'm not in love with it. Aside from the lamentable fact that some characters are left out of any given episode, the pacing feels frantic to me -- every so often a character will say something about time and I'll think, "wait, so now it's four month later than when this episode opened? But I guess it's also two months before the last episode ended?"

I hope that they tighten it up for season five and find a way to get everyone on the same schedule.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Not having to plot through 7 years of back story will probably help in that regard, should a season 5 happen.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    I don't think it was necessarily incumbent upon them to plot through all seven years of back story, that's a decision they made that was... probably not helpful generally, although it worked conveniently enough with the difficulty of scheduling everyone. They had the freedom to pretend that only six months had elapsed since season three ended, or that after seven years elapsed, everyone was released from prison and could move on with their lives. We wouldn't have had an homage to Entourage or a character based on Herman Cain in that event, but that would be okay in the long run. Neither Herman Cain nor Entourage have been culturally relevant since 2011.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Meloku wrote: »

plus Marc cherry says it about Job. It was largely replaced with "sounds of silence" which had a great payoff when the Mongolian does it and the mariachi band plays it.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Meloku wrote: »

plus Marc cherry says it about Job. It was largely replaced with "sounds of silence" which had a great payoff when the Mongolian does it and the mariachi band plays it.
    The narrator almost says it about Maeby, but she interrupts him

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Theres gotta be a season 5... They just cant leave it the way they did.

Season started off slow, but it did pick up later on. Now I need more!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have to be honest I like the ending and kinda like the effect it has on people.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Fantastic ending. I like the idea that if it stops here then the story is in arrested development. Full series spoilers:
    Regarding the parmesan and mustard (gene parmesan, colonel mustard, murderer) I think that's there as THE BIGGEST RED HERRING BLUFF EVER. Of course people are going to notice and think that. Why else would it be there? Possibly same thing for Michael's shirt but i think that's significantly subtler. I'm not sure what happened to Lucille 2 but i really love reading people's thoughts on motivations and what not. FakeBlock is THE MOST perfect thing that it ends up being a FAKE BLOCK. I think George Michael became my favourite character in this series and I want to see a series just centred around him. Michael Cera is sort of great all over though and needs to be in more things even if they flop and general audiences don't like him.
    Also. Maeby. Oof.
    michael's shirt?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Ooh. Gob episode number two.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Variable wrote: »
    Also. Maeby. Oof.
    michael's shirt?
    Hes wearing a Mr.Banana Grabber shirt. Or to be blunt he did something with Argyle" mr f" Austero

And it just occured to me who the thing was

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular

She's been in a couple of Broadway things
    It's been thirty years since she's gone... downtown.

• Options
    Bwahahaha Maeby's episode:
    "Didn't we graduate high school together five years ago?"

"It was actually a good question."

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS 3D KISSING THING NOOOOO

• Options
    Holy shit that was Maeby?

• Options
    That 3D kissing thing went from "hilarious" to "uncomfortable" really fast
    but then when they had him go in for the kissing study I lost it

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    I am, what I am assuming to be, a good chunk of the way through George Michael's thought process on risk.

Had to pause it again.

• Options
    "And before long, things started to get weird."

Before long? Narrator what have you been watching?

• Options
    Finished it.

That was wonderful.

Who do I throw my money at for more?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Also. Maeby. Oof.
    michael's shirt?
    Hes wearing a Mr.Banana Grabber shirt. Or to be blunt he did something with Argyle" mr f" Austero

And it just occured to me who the thing was

oh my!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I think this was all a lead in to the movie.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    So for the few of you that were assuring me the new season was in HD, could you check something for me?
    I spoke with yet another person from customer service. He assured me the new season is in HD despite lacking the notification on the task bar dealie (because the old seasons weren't so it won't display the icon).
    IIRC someone said their Apple TV had the HD identification, but can someone check on PC?
    I just can't tell. I usually can on other shows when it "pops" into HD. But I just can't tell with Arrested, I'm on a 1080p screen but it's not the biggest. And AD is kind of a roughly filmed show.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    HD is usually at 720p

• Options
    Oh I'm sure it's not full HD or uncompressed. I was just saying while I have the hardware I just can't tell with AD.
    I'd really just like to confirm I'm not getting a lower quality. The last guy from customer service was wrong so I though I'd ask.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I think this was all a lead in to the movie.

Movies are dead. Sounds more like a TV show. :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.