As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android [Chat]

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I want to write a dissertation on the "It was my privilege" post. How it marches dutifully toward an extremely predictable punch line and yet each line is more captivating and hilarious than the last. It breaks all the rules but is the best!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ok

this is going to hurt

but im gonna do some sit ups

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I wonder what people would have said if we had actually taken Bin Laden with a drone strike

Would it have been like

Seal Team 0110

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yemen is a great case study academically because you can examine any of its problems as a magnification of The Worst Possible Scenario of a given political or economic issue

Food insecurity, political oligarchy/despotism (lack of accountable governance), lack of nation-building (disparate ethnic/tribal/historical identities deliberately played upon by the rich and powerful), multiple foreign interests overruling local interests in centrifugal ways, water crisis, regional factionalism, systematic and societal repression of women, religious factionalism, no legitimate monopolistic force by any one entity either state or non-governmental, terrorism both domestic and foreign, complete lack of any utility infrastructure (lack of comprehensive development), a drug used by 100% of the population and whose floral properties inherently exacerbate the water and food crises...

Social caste system, terrible legal system (multiple laws - religious, tribal, governmental - which all seek to assert supremacy ...)

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    What is a quahog

This "Q-Word" is an edible marine bivalve mollusk native to the eastern shores of North America and one of many unrelated edible bivalves which in the United States are frequently referred to simply as clams

But what is a quince

this hard, astringent, sour pear-like "Q-word" fruit must be 'bletted' before consumption raw, or alternatively used to make jam, jelly, pudding, or peeled, then roasted, baked or stewed.

Hmm

But what of a quiche

This savory egg-and-cheese based "q-word" came to us from the Frankish word for "cake"

Well I'll be.

But you KNOW I ain't gotta ask bout no quesadilla

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I am not knowledgeable enough to state whether the immediate withdrawal of US troops from all combat areas would be a bad thing for stability in those places.

My instinct is that it's more complicated than that, even if US intervention is part of what fucked it up in the first place.

I can't think of a time the US has withdrawn from an unstable area and it went in a good direction. Whether it was us that caused the destabilization or not.

vietnam improved

eventually

only because they completely murderized their opposition so there was no one left to "destabilize them"

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A lot of these posts from you guys read a lot more "I totally support the war on terror because we're always going to be at war anyway" than I think they're meant to

I don't think the war on terror is or ever was worth making into an actual war. We could have kicked al queda out of Afghanistan by just bribing the taliban

Edit: and I am wholly opposed to the CIA operating military equipment of any kind, drone strikes should be accountable within the pentagon and on confirmed targets only

override367 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh, she brought up how stupid the Bionic Commando 2009 twist is.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I don't think the reason we're in Afghanistan is specifically for Poppies, Re: Opiate production.

But I do think we're taking advantage of that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oh I get it, it's because I'm not using IE. Thanks VerizonWireless. You broke a perfectly good website that worked fine on Chrome/FireFox for a few years.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    A lot of these posts from you guys read a lot more "I totally support the war on terror because we're always going to be at war anyway" than I think they're meant to

I don't think the war on terror is or ever was worth making into an actual war. We could have kicked al queda out of Afghanistan by just bribing the taliban

Well stop reading it wrong and read what I mean! :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I am not knowledgeable enough to state whether the immediate withdrawal of US troops from all combat areas would be a bad thing for stability in those places.

My instinct is that it's more complicated than that, even if US intervention is part of what fucked it up in the first place.

I can't think of a time the US has withdrawn from an unstable area and it went in a good direction. Whether it was us that caused the destabilization or not.

vietnam improved

eventually

Took 30 years

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Obama suggested we get away from the war on terror philosophy eventually. Obviously he was lambasted by the GOP but I wonder if it'll happen in our lifetimes

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Elldren wrote: »

vietnam improved

eventually

Took 30 years

yeah

it's not really clear to me that maintaining a US presence would have done any better though

it was gonna be a rough 30 years either way i think

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    we should get away from the war on terror now

Obviously there will be blowback, but there's blowback every day someone gets blown up or shot in the middle east by the war on terror

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Yemen is a great case study academically because you can examine any of its problems as a magnification of The Worst Possible Scenario of a given political or economic issue

Food insecurity, political oligarchy/despotism (lack of accountable governance), lack of nation-building (disparate ethnic/tribal/historical identities deliberately played upon by the rich and powerful), multiple foreign interests overruling local interests in centrifugal ways, water crisis, regional factionalism, systematic and societal repression of women, religious factionalism, no legitimate monopolistic force by any one entity either state or non-governmental, terrorism both domestic and foreign, complete lack of any utility infrastructure (lack of comprehensive development), a drug used by 100% of the population and whose floral properties inherently exacerbate the water and food crises...

Social caste system, terrible legal system (multiple laws - religious, tribal, governmental - which all seek to assert supremacy ...)

It is in a number of ways worse than Somalia (which has a lot of the same issues)

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    I don't think the reason we're in Afghanistan is specifically for Poppies, Re: Opiate production.

i didn't think we were doing anything with the poppy fields besides, like, destroying them.

opium has a high street value because it's incredibly illegal almost anywhere

otherwise it would just be another low-margin agricultural good. i'm pretty sure we have all the pharmaceutical opium that we need.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Oh, she brought up how stupid the Bionic Commando 2009 twist is.

what is the twist?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    also we should pay farmers for their opium at whatever the taliban is paying them + 10% before we burn it

the cost of this would be a drop in the bucket

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @Casual turn away from the darkness and you shall be saveeeeed
    02LsFIw.jpg
    This Corgi found Jesus (Working a tomato field) and you can too.
    *plays harp*

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

i didn't think we were doing anything with the poppy fields besides, like, destroying them.

otherwise it would just be another low-margin agricultural good. i'm pretty sure we have all the pharmaceutical opium that we need.

no no no I'm talking about the kind of opiate the CIA makes with all of that "destroyed" poppy.

You know

Heroin

• Options

Obviously there will be blowback, but there's blowback every day someone gets blown up or shot in the middle east by the war on terror

obama's recent speech basically announced his intention to end the "war on terror" and retire from our global posture of the past decade.

not that he can really fully do anything as president, but this was his intention

apparently it was a pretty important speech

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    At least Laos is stable now!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    The headlines were all like "Obama Surrenders on the War on Terror"

I said this jokingly to Arch on Facebook but for reals this time

You can't kill an idea

• Options

no no no I'm talking about the kind of opiate the CIA makes with all of that "destroyed" poppy.

You know

Heroin

For the last time.
    WE WERE NEVER IN LAOSSSSSSSSSSS

Bless your heart.
  • Options

You know

Heroin

i um

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Obama suggested we get away from the war on terror philosophy eventually. Obviously he was lambasted by the GOP but I wonder if it'll happen in our lifetimes

It'll only happen once the indigenous populations whos own countrymen are terrorists are given enough time to rebuild and strengthen their society, and raise a generation that views terrorism as the wrong answer.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    also we should pay farmers for their opium at whatever the taliban is paying them + 10% before we burn it

It's not like they grow it once and cash out, though.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    afghanistan poppy production in hectares

Afghanistan_opium_poppy_cultivation_1994-2007b.PNG

• Options

obama's recent speech basically announced his intention to end the "war on terror" and retire from our global posture of the past decade.

not that he can really fully do anything as president, but this was his intention

apparently it was a pretty important speech

It wasn't glamorous but it outlined what's going to be American foreign policy for the next three years at the very least. And honestly we can't be adversarial to every emerging country and economy or else we'll sorta be fucked in the long run

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Chanus wrote: »

of course not

but we're spending like 500 million a week on the war, afghan's entire opium crop is like 2.5 billion annually

override367 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

You know

Heroin

Oh my god it's so obvious. The opiate of the masses is an opiate.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

It'll only happen once the indigenous populations whos own countrymen are terrorists are given enough time to rebuild and strengthen their society, and raise a generation that views terrorism as the wrong answer.

well

this is like objecting to giving a guy food stamps because what we really need to do is improve social mobility and opportunity and create a solid basis for sustainable economic security across the broad socio-economic spectrum

which is great

but meanwhile

that dude needs to eat

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

He's going to call it over before he leaves office.

I'm almost completely sure that it will happen sometime between the midterms and Smilin' Joe Biden's announcement.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

of course not

but we're spending like 500 million a week on the war, afghan's entire opium crop is like 2.5 billion annually

Well, you have to figure what proportion of that spending is going to American businesses that profit from the engines of war.

It's not about the practical solution.

It's about who's getting paid.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Yemen is basically how to be a failed state. So awful.

Vietnam is functional and a lot better but man is it pretty bad. The Vietnamese dong is the worst currency out there. Well it is now since the Zimbabwean dollar no longer exist.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    we could give all of afghanistan's opium to north korea, just air drop it

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

You know

Heroin

For the last time.
    WE WERE NEVER IN LAOSSSSSSSSSSS

Well not me personally.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    I say I wonder because private corporations just make so much god damn money from this constant militarization

I mean even if .000001% of their profits go toward lobbying for more war we're sorta doomed

This discussion has been closed.