Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - On the Hunt

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - On the Hunt

Knowledge gleaned from a previous challenge may help the Artists in today's event.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yay Abby and Katie! Good teamwork. I felt bad for Maki.

Great prize too. I would love it if they filmed that dinner, but I assume we'll never see it.

Next episode is either going to be really boring, or really hilarious. Legalese... yay...

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    wn.mike
  • YllanesYllanes Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Fun episode and that's finally the last clip from the infamous teaser (I don't blame them for including the clips in it, there was no way to avoid it, but those of us cursed with a good memory have had several eliminations spoiled).

Anyone else hopes that we get to see the reward for this episode instead of an Elimination Challenge and that they move on to a different method in order to pick a winner from the Final Four?

Yllanes on
  • wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    Awesome episode, really fun idea...the prize is amazing and I hope it ends with a extra episode before the next elimination.

Regarding the next episode I think Khoo is all giddy and happy with it, like "now this is where the real business happens.. watch and learn kids - this is how a piece of paper screws you."

emarecksaykayPsykomaNinjanunspathAnialosGamercow
  • pharaohwizardpharaohwizard Registered User regular
    Lexxy just rubs me the wrong way. Her describing how they drew the Top Pot sign was just her talking down to Maki. "Oh he remembered a bit but boy did he listen to what I said well"

emarecksaykaypureval
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    Sh*t I called the scavenger hunt a little early, but hey at least I called that there would be a scavenger hunt lol. And I hope we get to see some of the dinner, that would be really interesting but I am afraid we're gonna miss out.
    And I felt for Maki, I am also big and out of shape so I can imagine what an hour of running around would do to me. My shins would probably be killing me too.

I actually like laws and contracts and rules and I am sure they put some stuff in there to mess with them so I am waiting to see what they came up with.

• Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    That was a fun episode!

I feel like that victory was primarily due to organization; it is always a good idea to take a few moments to create a clear, concise gameplan. I think Katie and Abby sitting down and figuring out the clues in the beginning helped them have a significantly smoother hunt. Sure, Lexxy and Maki were on the move quicker, but they ended up losing more time than they gained due to their lack of a cogent plan of action.

Also, though I love all the contestants, schadenfreude will be the source of my enjoyment of the next episode. I am glad I am not over-encumbered with empathy as I know that the next challenge is my nightmare scenario.

Lastly, I REALLY hope we get to see that dinner. Though I am guessing it will probably end up as a DVD extra...

Spman2099 on
    KnightmareemarecksaykayparmeisanmiaAusaHanClintoBuchoMKF36E
  • stoolpigeonstoolpigeon Registered User regular
    I enjoyed that quite a bit. I would also be an anchor in that kind of thing. I've already told my wife that in the event of a zombie apocalypse her and the kids are to leave me behind.

Really hope to see some of the dinner. Abby may doubt whether or not she'll have anything to say but I'm betting she will come up with some real gems.

Ninjanun
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    According to the PA Sells Out Kickstarter, that dinner is worth 7500 dollars each.

emarecksaykayenderandrewteknoarcanist
  • KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    A scavenger hunt is an awesome idea- especially the way they pulled it off. Both teams went around a pretty big area for only an hour (at least it seemed that way). I felt bad for Maki though- it would be pretty discouraging to feel like you're dragging the team down, and Lexxy was really trying to scout ahead and go at a faster pace.

• oldskool julesoldskool jules Registered User new member
    Excellent episode!
    I managed to drive the teaser and its images from my mind like a herd of bison off a cliff, so no issues there.

Go team Abby and Kate! You guys worked really well together. Lexxy found it quite difficult to mask her impatience, so yeah... I feel for Maki, as a fellow rotund person.

Pretty good sketches too, for being so on the run.

emarecksaykayWarribs
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    That sign clearly said don't walk, Abby and Katie.

SCOFFLAWS

walrus.png
    emarecksaykay
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    and Maki you ain't fat dude

walrus.png
    emarecksaykayElbasunuShpydarSassorifullofgracedjmitchellaKazitronAnialosTofystedeth
  • SluggerJohnSluggerJohn Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Not a bad episode. The show started to lose some steam with all of the non-art challenges. I'm over those. It's fine to give them other stuff to do to have fun, but it doesn't need to be jerry-rigged into a challenge. Let them have fun just to have fun, and use it as background content.

Ping pong I get, because that's significant to PA. But it's not exactly constructive when we're down to the top 6, 5 then 4 and they're basically playing "Who's fastest in a race because they're the closest to an object?" and winning influential prizes like Redraw Tickets for it.

Aside from eliminations, the last relatively art-related challenge was a month ago in episode 18, "Sketch for Tips". To them it was only 3 days ago, but it's been a MONTH for us. That's a long time to go without art challenges in an art reality show. Something to consider for Season 2.

But at least this one was art related. A LITTLE, anyway.

SluggerJohn on
    duddlesNavyBean
  • KnytestormeKnytestorme Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Just started watching but one thing I noticed right away
    Maki in the confessionals seems to have shorter hair than in the episode and it looks just washed, not really something that could get done well in the house unless one of them is also a hairdresser so....

Yep, if you look at his hair when getting up from drawing the aquarium and then in the confessional right after it's obviously has been cut. Not looking forward to the elimination this week now.

Knytestorme on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Just started watching but one thing I noticed right away
    Maki in the confessionals seems to have shorter hair than in the episode and it looks just washed, not really something that could get done well in the house unless one of them is also a hairdresser so....

Yep, if you look at his hair when getting up from drawing the aquarium and then in the confessional right after it's obviously has been cut. Not looking forward to the elimination this week now.

His hair looked like that in the car, too. I think it was just slicked back from hard workin'.

• ripper998ripper998 Registered User new member
    Lexi is too bossy, she tries to take control of every situation. She should not win as I don't think she will be able to take direction from Robert on how to run a business.

emarecksaykay
  • SomeursaultSomeursault Registered User regular
    Is Katie sick of hearing people say they love her yet? If not, I love Katie!

oldskool julesMonkeyKing1969NavyBeanKazitronseegruNinjanunemarecksaykaySpman2099BuchomonkmunkPeter Ebel
  • ShpydarShpydar Brampton, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yllanes wrote: »
    Anyone else hopes that we get to see the reward for this episode instead of an Elimination Challenge and that they move on to a different method in order to pick a winner from the Final Four?

I hope we get to see the reward dinner AND an elimination challenge. The last elimination challenge kinda sucked, but generally they are well done and are an excellent means to obtain the 2 going into the Thunderdome.

Yes there hasn't been any real drama between the winner and the challengers they pick, as you would expect in a normal reality series, but that is more to the credit of the players than anything.

parmeisanemarecksaykay
  • oldskool julesoldskool jules Registered User new member
    Hair slicked back due to all that drizzle.

dunnright00
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    Yllanes wrote: »
    Fun episode and that's finally the last clip from the infamous teaser (I don't blame them for including the clips in it, there was no way to avoid it, but those of us cursed with a good memory have had several eliminations spoiled).

Oh I sure blame them. This is probably the first reality TV show in the history of reality TV shows where the producers released a teaser BEFORE THE SHOW STARTED that spoils three-quarters of the season. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to slap together a 2-minute teaser from the first 2-3 days of the show. And they still could have thrown in the non-spoiler clips of the go-karts and stuff with shots that don't actually show the contestants.

Instead they make this teaser which spoils the show and then pretend like avoiding spoilers is a top priority? And all the while people continue to review the teaser and post spoilers on PA's own forum as the show goes along? What a joke! I messaged the PA guys a dozen times to beg them to take the teaser down and never got one response.

duddlesSpman2099
    edited May 2013
    On a separate note, to counter all the tired Lexxy hate, she's adorable talking and miming with a marker in her mouth.

Lamp on
    KadiCambiataBuchoMKF36E
  • duddlesduddles Registered User regular
    I'm baffled by these non-art related episodes. I feel like the show isn't really focusing on what makes it unique compared to other reality shows. This felt like a cheap knockoff of The Amazing Race.

NavyBean
  • studentochaosstudentochaos Registered User regular
    Too much hating on Lexxy. Talking about these events it isn't strange to discuss your involvement. People need to stop reacting to every single comment like it was a big deal.

RIPPER998:
    I am quite certain the prize is not "do what Khoo tells you to do" so the idea that she as an artist needs to be taking directions is silly. Clients can give artists directions but Penny Arcade are not the Strip Search clients, they are the hosts.

CambiataSpman2099
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    duddles wrote: »
    I'm baffled by these non-art related episodes. I feel like the show isn't really focusing on what makes it unique compared to other reality shows. This felt like a cheap knockoff of The Amazing Race.

Yeah, artists never walk around a city sketching. Total waste of time. Just stick them in a closed off room for two weeks and tell them to draw comics.

coltclassicElbasunuenderandrewemarecksaykaySpman2099Bucho
  • WwenWwen Registered User regular
    They drew pictures... of stuff... and things. Listen. Listen... just enjoy the last beard standing, okay?

I wonder what that map looked like, because Maki/Lexxy were out in the middle of nowhere. Blazing a trail into uncharted territory. I thought they might find the new territories.

"Freedom is on the march, but it gets winded rather quickly."
    parmeisanemarecksaykay
  • Joetown17Joetown17 Just some guy TorontoRegistered User regular
    I love Lexxy. She's a babe.

And Maki too. And Katie and Abby.

Babes.

coltclassicteknoarcanistNinjanun
  • NavyBeanNavyBean Registered User regular
    The in-between elimination episodes are starting to feel more and more like filler.

duddles
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Didn't they say the competition lasted 12 days?

And yet you can only have 11 eliminations before you're down to one person.

Somehow I'm guessing that this particular day of competition won't end in a Thunderdome. You can't exactly send Abby and Katie to dinner with Mike, Jerry and Robert and then have at bare minimum the creators and possibly the contestants too turn around and do the Thunderdome the same night. It isn't going to work. Especially after the two challenges of the day. I'm thinking it'll be scavenger hunt, contract challenge, 'since you got this far, we won't eliminate anyone tonight, we'll just take Abby and Katie to dinner and do the Thunderdome tomorrow'.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    SkeleVadernavinieaGamercowMKF36EShpydar
  • MonkeyKing1969MonkeyKing1969 Library Man Cape CodRegistered User regular
    I knew when Abby and Katie were put together they would win, and I base that on them both having even temperaments and both being 'nose to the grindstone' doers.

I said it last week and I'll say it again, Abby and Katie should face off at the end. All the artists on the show are talented and fine people, that is not even a question, but there is something about Katie and Abby is the above and beyond.

Ninjanundunnright00monkmunk
    While the prize for this competition is really awesome, I'm glad that it's not something that will give the winning team an advantage in the competition. Partly because it was a team challenge and I'd rather have the contest be decided by individual efforts, and partly because dumb luck played a not-insignificant role (getting good or bad directions from passersby.)

duddles
  • WwenWwen Registered User regular
    NavyBean wrote: »
    The in-between elimination episodes are starting to feel more and more like filler.
    It's the deep breath before the plunge.

Kinda looking forward to seeing the thrilling conclusion.

"Freedom is on the march, but it gets winded rather quickly."
    NavyBean
  • gorillamangorillaman Registered User new member
    "This is hard - let's just do it."

I've used that line before...

spath
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I got winded just by watching this. -_-

Being someone who has experience with nightmare contracts, I can guarantee the next episode is super important to anyone looking to get into the field of comics. I had bad flashbacks as soon as they mentioned the subject. And of course, anyone who knows PA lore is aware of their history with bogus contracts as well. It'll be fearsome and fascinating to watch Khoo (and presumably the other business people at the company) throw curveballs, legalese, and slimy tricks at the unsuspecting creators.

Also: Why keep complaining about spoilers? Most of us wouldn't even notice if you didn't keep talking about it.

Also, also: If you don't like the show, that little red X button at the top your web browser? Press it. That makes the bad things go away.

enderandrewteknoarcanistemarecksaykay
  • MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    Strip Search: The Paper Work episodes. As satire I was going to be doing a comic of Khoo chewing the remaining contestants out as they improperly filled out taxes as independent contractors, but I don't think I need to. I'm assuming that episode will be on in the next week or two.

Don't get me wrong understanding legal agreements is important. VERY important. CRITICALLY important. Far more important than signing merchandise. Honestly though it's not going to be interesting to watch, and its not something that the audience is getting excited and anticipatory about. You're not going to be reading "Maki's such a nerd he's going to OWN that non-disclosure agreement." Videos about these subject should have been posted on a separate youtube channel and not part of strip search. Perhaps I'm wrong but considering how the comments sections are dropping off in volume, aside from the elimination rounds, you are distancing your audience.

The impression I get is that no one in the development process asked themselves whether the proposed content would be interesting to watch. Whether or not they would want to watch episodes about people filling out paper work themselves.

There is too much focus on the importance of the subject material and not the entertainment value.

Also the scavenger hunt would have been much better earlier in the show as an ice breaker for the audience. Day 1 or Day 3. A way to introduce the contestants and show people's personalities off indirectly. Plus with more teams around it would increase the chance that something serendipitous will happen. We already know who everyone is at this point so none of the interactions came off as a surprise.

duddlessketchityemarecksaykay
  • wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    I would be so, so, SO royally screwed if I had to do this challenge. I have the direction-sense of a squirrel trying to cross a street.
    But still, great post-production in today's episode. Even with my crappy orientation skills I was never lost for a second!

Attacking corporate business culture in a contract is like a game: the other people will default with trying to screw you over, so you get to play a game of secret collect so you don't lose thousands of potential dollars in image rights. Fun! Very excited for Friday.

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
    parmeisan
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    More ammo for the Lexxy haters... Oh well.
    I really like Lexxy and I think she's amazingly talented, but as soon as she says one thing that can be misconstrued, folks seem to fall over themselves to slag her.

Angry_Samoan on
    "The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    enderandrewKadiAnana11sketchityCambiataSpman2099
    edited May 2013
    GPrime85 wrote: »
    Also: Why keep complaining about spoilers? Most of us wouldn't even notice if you didn't keep talking about it.

Because the biggest fans of the show who read the whole discussion thread for each episode have been punished majorly, several times, by trolls posting spoilers? And because theoretically you would think that complaining would draw attention to the problem and compel the producers to take some action to curb the problem?

So on to the next episode, I say that Lexxy and Maki may have a solid advantage, since they've both been producing freelance art for years and thus have dealt with plenty of contracts. Abby will obviously be at a big disadvantage. I'm not sure about Katie -- doesn't she work for Nickelodeon? I'm not sure how much she would have had to deal with contracts in her career as an in-studio artist.

Lamp on
    emarecksaykayGamercow
  • FonjoFonjo Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for the next episode. I enjoy seeing a variety of challenges. This one seems relevant.

steam_sig.png
  • eagleagl Registered User regular
    I am quite certain the prize is not "do what Khoo tells you to do"

That would actually be an extremely most valuable prize, a chance to let Robert direct/manage your activities for (insert duration here). Very few people or companies get so lucky, to have an executive manager so willing and able to turn a stream of variable-content creativity into a business. In 10-20 years we'll see his book on how to turn a struggling small business into a massively successful small business, and every MBA student will have to read it. And PA fans will read it, because Khoo.

Angry_SamoanNinjanunMKF36ETofystedeth
  • SirTwitchSirTwitch Registered User regular
    This was a really fun episode! Not a full-on art challenge, but I liked that they had to draw the different things they were hunting for. It was cool to see the teams interacting, too. I really hope the dinner with Mike and Jerry makes it into an episode!