Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - On the Hunt

1235

Posts

  • foofoo Registered User regular
    On the topic of Katie, she's the only one who doesn't have anything to prove. From their own point of view, Abby's an underdog, Lexxy's an outsider, Maki's flown under the radar... but Katie just does her stuff and does it well. She's got an almost zen quality about her.

    emarecksaykay
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    A little unrelated, but Abby's latest comic is hilarious...
    http://www.jspowerhour.com/comics/73

    It's Sardo, No Mister, Accent on the Do

    psychopez
  • FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    Looks like a fun place to live.

    emarecksaykay
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    The two different approaches were funny and telling.

    Didn't Lexxy say, only a few days ago, that she would take more time for critical thinking before she dived into something? It's interesting that she works at a slow pace and yet also jumps before she looks. Poor Maki was just trying to keep up, hah!

    I like all four of these finalists and I have a hard time choosing a favorite from this line up. They've been my favorites from the start and I'm so happy to see all of them make it to this point.

    That said, I was happy to see team Long Hair win against Team Glasses. I liked Abby and Katie's approach to this contest, of taking their time before they started to figure out what they were doing. Covering a city in an hour is impossible, so Abby and Katie made the smart decision and it was rewarded.

    Maki should have spoken up, it seemed like he just ceded control over to Lexxy, but that could be the editing.

    emarecksaykay
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Since all four of the remaining artists have commented in this thread, and I assume they are watching.

    Lexxy, we love you very much, you are awesome.
    Maki, we love you too, you are also awesome.
    Katie, you are awesome and we love you.
    Abby on the other hand, you are someone who we love, and who is awesome.

    If any of the eliminated artists are also sneakily watching in the background, we love you guys too.

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    DexOZparmeisanAnana11MKF36EHanClintoSpman2099JohnnyOmahashoeboxjeddyfullofgrace
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    Katie is proving to be the perfect team-player, I can't remember her not winning a team-challenge, she even won the ping-pong.
    ahdok wrote: »
    Lexxy, we love you very much, you are awesome.
    Maki, we love you too, you are also awesome.
    Katie, you are awesome and we love you.
    Abby on the other hand, you are someone who we love, and who is awesome.

    If any of the eliminated artists are also sneakily watching in the background, we love you guys too.

    agreed, when are they releasing the action figures.

    emarecksaykay
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Sirilis wrote: »
    Katie however has put out one bad duel comic that was barely better than the one her opponent drew (long ago, when the competition wasn't fierce). She constantly wins the competitions for her natural artistry, but the comic on her website is dreadfully boring. I went through about 15 and found not one that was funny, made me interested in the characters, or drew me in... what do you all see in her? Some links to her better comics would be pretty nice ^_^*

    I LOVE Skadi. It rarely makes me laugh but I find it amusing and fun, and it just oozes with charm. I think it gets better the more you read and the better you get to know the main character. It's fun to see Skadi respond to situations in the way only Skadi would.

    Lamp on
    zerzhulemarecksaykayfullofgrace
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    DexOZ wrote: »
    Katie is proving to be the perfect team-player, I can't remember her not winning a team-challenge, she even won the ping-pong...

    Erika and Amy won the Blind Drawing team challenge. But I do see your point. Katie is always in the mix in a team challenge.

    Angry_Samoan on
    "The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    emarecksaykay
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    Since you wrote such a well thought out and detailed post, and encourage Lexxy to possibly learn some lessons from it, let me take a moment to completely hammer it into the ground.
    parmeisan wrote: »
    Early on, I felt like Lexxy was competent and likeable. Then the whole Lexxy-resurrection thing happened.

    I can't let this go because of of all the Lexxy-hate. But why do people "hate," or in this case disapprove of, Lexxy in the first place? Has she talked about people behind their back? Has she sabotaged someone? Does she snarl at the other contestants?

    No, it seems this is why.
    parmeisan wrote: »
    She was generally pretty bossy.

    I was really put off by the part where Maki was drawing the aquarium and she was telling him stuff ...
    She didn't know where they were going, but rather than admit to that right away, she just kept pushing them.

    I think this is the crux of the entire "dislike of Lexxy issue." Lexxy is a DECISIVE person. In this screwed up age of giving trophies to losing teams for trying, being a decisive person is worse than killing small animals. Not-offending other people has become a championed cause and that is an embarrassing commentary on our society.

    Being polite and nice to others is a wonderful thing; being hyper sensitive to insult is a different beast all together. Just look at what you criticize:
    parmeisan wrote: »
    Props for the "I vote we do this" line, but even a small change like "We should do this" is different from "I think" or "maybe" we should do this, and I think it would really help people's perception of her if she worked on that a bit. w where they were going, but rather than admit to that right away, she just kept pushing them.

    Lexxy, please for God's sake don't listen to this kind of advice. Dude, you are criticizing the woman's speech like a forensic scientist, scouring the dirt for the tiniest minuscule of "perceived" insult.

    Here is an idea: Let Lexxy ask Maki what he thought of their interaction. He is the only judge of how she behaved towards him and the people they interacted with.
    parmeisan wrote: »
    When that passerby told them where the elephant was, Maki thanked them twice while she was already moving on...Don't let fans or anybody think you don't appreciate people who help you out for nothing.

    Is this the same Lexxy that was first put up for elimination because she argued with Scott Kurtz? And why was she arguing? That Scott essentially told her she was being too nice to strangers, and she was defending her position that being nice is how she approaches things. Could it simply be that Maki was the one talking to the person and not Lexxy, so she let him thank him and ran on?

    When someone is strong and confident, it makes the new touchy-feely crowd uncomfortable. We can't have that! Uncomfortable? Ugh!
    Instead of telling Lexxy to lose her strength and become a meeker and lesser person, how about you just encourage others to pump themselves up. I also gave a little critique of their interaction in my first post, and what I said was that Maki should have been a little bolder. I would have enjoyed seeing Maki stand up to Lexxy, not because I dislike Lexxy, I think she is a rockin chick; but because I also like Maki's talent and humor and I want to see him strut his stuff.

    enderandrewAngry_SamoanAnana11sketchitySpiffy McBangCambiatafooKalynarjebrexshoeboxjeddy
  • escorialescorial Registered User regular
    I know I am a bit late in the conversation, but I tried to read as many of the comments as possible. Some of them agree some disagree, but never the less here are my two cents.
    The first time I watched this episode, I felt as if Lexxy came up a little bossy and was a bit "bothered" by her "assertiveness". Upon thinking about it and thanks to some of your comments I came to a different view. I feel Lexxy is and assertive person, and a leader. The history is full of successful people that made it into the history books for been leaders, for taking charge when needed and for coming as bossy. On the episode it seems more obvious when we have the chance to compare Maki and Lexxy interaction style with Abby and Katie; almost on the opposite side of the spectrum, but I wonder if that same style would have work for Lexxy and Maki.
    Maki seems a very relaxed guy, who doesn't mind to take a secondary role; as a matter of fact he probably rather that position.
    Unfortunately we are judging these guys by 30 minutes of edited film and that is very unfair. Lexxy has proven to be a leader, ago get it" kind of person and somebody who is not afraid to put on the table her opinions and values. A clear proof was the episode in which she argued to the teeth with Scott Kurtz; and I had to agree with her on most of her points.
    So, with that said, go Lexxy, go Maki, go Abby and go Katie. You are giving us a good time, at least for 60 minutes per week. :)

  • SirilisSirilis Registered User new member
    Thank you for your replies @Lamp and @Anna. I think I'm getting the understanding that it's more about their characters and less about their art. When I said Katie has good natural artistry I was saying she's more of a well-rounded artist, doing all the challenges well... but her comic ability is where I find her weaker than the others. In a competition about just art, she'd be fantastic, but in a competition about doing webcomics, I see her in last.

    On the topic of Skadi, I did a little more reading and I do find that character interesting... not my sort of webcomic fare, but definitely all right in it's own sense. I think it's too focused on story arcs and as a result individual comics can be outright dull.

    Personality-wise, I understand that Lexxy can be 'bossy', but I find her confident and intelligent... however she seems to falter a little when rushed.

    In the end, I'm excited for the conclusion and I actually mostly hope that Abby and Maki get the finals because, as I implied, their comics are awesome.
    Interesting to note that Katie and Lexxy seem to have more artistic talent but Abby and Maki make more interesting comics...

    When the others leave, when their patience dies
    I will stay behind.
    This I do swear.
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Just to be clear, I wasn't criticising with the "try adding x" to your sentences bit. That part came from the fact that she's clearly a polarizing personality and it would be, I suspect, one easily-identifiable way not to be. (I notice I unfortunately put her really good line next to that as if it could have benefited, but that wasn't how I meant it.)

    Maybe you guys are right and I just have trouble with highly assertive, intense, alpha personalities. In fact, I'm nearly certain now that it boils down to that. But one thing to note is that this seems to be a common opinion, and if (big if!!) Lexxy wants to appeal to the greatest number of people, it seems to me that toning down the assertive (not all the way to passive, but just one notch) would help. If nothing else, IF she wants that, it would help to know which things she does that bother people. But I'm not kidding myself, if I was doing it *just * for her then I would have PM'd her. I also wanted to weigh in on the conversion in general.

    Of course, if you're happy just being you, Lexxy, then keep rocking that. I also think that the majority of people aren't going to hate you (hating is awfully strong) or act on a minor personal irritation (such as by not reading your comic or buying your stuff) just 'cause you make a few PR mistakes. (Or maybe my whole post was just another illustration of how even well-meaning people can have attitudes completely different from your own and you can't engage everyone!)

    emarecksaykay
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Haven't gotten a chance to watch the episode yet due to work. I'll weigh in once I do so that I can tailor my story to that of the narrative ha ha ha.

    In seriousness, Lexxy had been to Seattle before, I hadn't. I trusted her lead. It didn't work out, but oh well. It was a fun game, and it would be silly to hate her forever or even get the slightest bit worked up about it. I do love the enthusiastic conversations that pop up around stuff like this, though.

    Your bickering fuels me.

    The_RatMKF36ELavidiusAnana11HanClintoAngry_SamoanTofystedethBucho
  • SirilisSirilis Registered User new member
    makitori wrote: »
    Your bickering fuels me.

    He feeds on our battle for sustenance! Blood for the Blood God!

    When the others leave, when their patience dies
    I will stay behind.
    This I do swear.
    makitori
  • sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    "your bickering fuels me."

    i have come to realize that being forced to read every post on this forum with all the speculation about ulterior motives and personality disorders and social inadequacies is, in fact, the final strip search challenge (sorry for the spoiler). and, so i will say well played, sir.

    sketchity on
    makitoriemarecksaykay
  • MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    makitori wrote: »
    Your bickering fuels me.

    I'll just come out and say it. I don't like you, sir. I love you.


    Awkward.

    makitoriemarecksaykay
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    <3

    MKF36EHanClintoemarecksaykay
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Sirilis wrote: »
    Interesting to note that Katie and Lexxy seem to have more artistic talent but Abby and Maki make more interesting comics...

    For some reason Lexxy and Katie get all the props for their art skills and Maki's art seems to be underrated. That dude can really, seriously draw. Another thing that blows me away about his comic is the diversity of art styles from strip to strip. He is not chained to a style even a little bit and I find that seriously impressive. On the other hand, I find that this has pros and cons. Sometimes it's hard for me to feel a connection to his strip when it varies so much in style from day to day, for what it's worth. But I do enjoy the variety and I suppose the tone and voice is quite consistent. I'm a fan.

    Lamp on
    emarecksaykay
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    @lamp

    Thanks for the praise! Regarding the consistency of style: Sci-ence was one of those rare two-artist-comics for about 2 years. So you might be seeing Nadir's comics in the mix. (The downside of being the "face" of the site is that sometimes I have to turn down a litany of praises because they were rightfully meant for my friend.)

    That said, I started Sci-ence out of a need to regularly produce work, and I was quick to set it up as an artistic playground of sorts. It became a place to try new styles, techniques, and even build off of each other's work.

    I don't think I could ever draw in a completely consistent style because I like to play too much ;)

    HanClintoemarecksaykay
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    Sirilis wrote: »
    Interesting to note that Katie and Lexxy seem to have more artistic talent but Abby and Maki make more interesting comics...

    For some reason Lexxy and Katie get all the props for their art skills and Maki's art seems to be underrated. That dude can really, seriously draw. Another thing that blows me away about his comic is the diversity of art styles from strip to strip. He is not chained to a style even a little bit and I find that seriously impressive. On the other hand, I find that this has pros and cons. Sometimes it's hard for me to feel a connection to his strip when it varies so much in style from day to day, for what it's worth. But I do enjoy the variety and I suppose the tone and voice is quite consistent. I'm a fan.

    I don't think Maki is underrated, I think Lexxy and Katie are just that good. Tavis' last comic, as much as it may have fizzled joke-wise, was extremely well-drawn, but few people spoke much about his art skills either. There's a threshold when it comes to any kind of creative work where, when someone surpasses it, their work makes people light up and sing their glories in a way that doesn't happen for others, even though the artists that haven't hit that threshold are really quite close. It's like the difference between Radiohead and any of a thousand bands who are adored by everyone that sees them, but wind up with two percent of the album sales. It's not necessarily fair, and it's certainly not because they're only two percent as good, it's just that the ability and style of Radiohead crossed into the greater public consciousness.

    ...Now that I've said that, I suppose in a way I am saying Maki is underrated. But it's relative to these other two people; he's only underrated in the sense that his skills are not spoken about as much as they would be if Lexxy and Katie weren't there.

  • BaelzarBaelzar Registered User regular
    Nice navigating there, Lex! Thinking outside of the map.

    I guess if you were playing Pac Man you could've gone off one side of the map and come in the other.

    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    -P. J. O'Rourke
    Elbasunuemarecksaykay
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Baelzar wrote: »
    Nice navigating there, Lex! Thinking outside of the map.

    I guess if you were playing Pac Man you could've gone off one side of the map and come in the other.

    MY SECRET PLANS

    CambiataSassorishoeboxjeddyGarret Dorigan
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »
    Baelzar wrote: »
    Nice navigating there, Lex! Thinking outside of the map.

    I guess if you were playing Pac Man you could've gone off one side of the map and come in the other.

    MY SECRET PLANS

    You should have gotten the corner landmarks. Then you could have hunted down Abby and Katie and made them go back to start.

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Lexxy and I are just operating in closed, circular space. Seemed like the fastest way to get to the other side of Seattle >_>

    HanClintoemarecksaykay
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Well... in a way, you are. It just requires going through British Columbia, the Northwest Territories, the Arctic, the Ural Mountains, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, the Gulf of Oman, actual Oman, the Seychelles (or Reunion depending on your mood), Mauritius, the Southern Ocean, Antarctica, the Southern Ocean again, the Pacific Ocean, and then over to San Diego to get on I-5.

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    makitori wrote: »
    @lamp

    Thanks for the praise! Regarding the consistency of style: Sci-ence was one of those rare two-artist-comics for about 2 years. So you might be seeing Nadir's comics in the mix. (The downside of being the "face" of the site is that sometimes I have to turn down a litany of praises because they were rightfully meant for my friend.)

    That said, I started Sci-ence out of a need to regularly produce work, and I was quick to set it up as an artistic playground of sorts. It became a place to try new styles, techniques, and even build off of each other's work.

    I don't think I could ever draw in a completely consistent style because I like to play too much ;)

    Oh, that's interesting that it started with two artists. To be honest I haven't had a chance to delve too far back into the archive so I was just talking about comics from the last couple of months. I see tons of visual diversity in recent strips, and sometimes the art style even changes drastically mid-strip! Can't think of many other comics where I've seen that. The recent mouse blood comic is a good example. (http://sci-ence.org/fresh-blood/)

    Lamp on
    emarecksaykay
  • wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    The more I think about it, the more impressed I am that the contract challenge is coming into effect now. Someone with business chops is guaranteed to be a HUGE load of of PA's shoulders, and that individual deserves a guarantee into the final three.

    "Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
    emarecksaykay
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    makitori wrote: »
    Lexxy and I are just operating in closed, circular space. Seemed like the fastest way to get to the other side of Seattle >_>

    I do believe you mean toroidal, Mr. Sci-ence... ;)


    @wahay: Again (and again), the winner is not going to be an employee of PA.

    foo on
  • WordLustWordLust Registered User regular
    makitori wrote: »

    Your bickering fuels me.

    Good.... use your aggressive feelings, Strip Search fans... let the hate flow through you...

    OMG DARTH MAKIUS

    emarecksaykay
  • MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Wrong. Mike and Jerry weren't able to do paperwork at a critical juncture, and if they didn't find Khoo, none of us are here right now because they'd have signed away their rights and they'd have been screwed out of making any money out of cartooning.
    Also,
    The purpose of this show is four fold as far as I can tell. 1)Promote the PA brand 2)Educate viewers about the profession of web cartooning 3)Promote the profession of web cartooning and 4)Build an audience for the contestants.
    I note a conspicuous absence of 'find the best-qualified candidate' in that list.

    With all due respect every freelance artist learns to deal with contracts. I don't know what stage you are at in your career or who you know, its part of the business. The ability to do it is not inherently unique and it is a standard requirement. You learn or you keep getting screwed over until you learn.

    Khoo's accomplishments with the company extend far beyond simply helping Jerry and Mike interpret contracts. Khoo has built and managed the hell out of this brand. A lot of the really important work Khoo has done for this company can not be effectively modeled in two hour contests. Regardless of whether or not Mike and Jerry had ever figured out to do contracts on their own, without Khoo there is no way in heck PA would exist in its current form. The only thing you could assume for sure is Khoo would be doing something that would be making himself a butt ton of money.

    As to your other point. You are basically arguing semantics. There are so many paths to success best-qualified is really an objective term and has no meaning. It doesn't matter who you pick and winning in no way predicates a successful career. They have to have a creative voice that brings in an audience, and a desire to stick to the profession through thick and thin. All winning does is give them accesses to a professional education and expertise that would normally take much longer for them to acquire on their own.

    I'm also going to go out on a limb and say there is no way you effectively judge an individual's abilities or select a candidate in any of the one to two hour competitions. A lot of the skills depicted by some of the competitions can be learned in an relatively short period of time (how to properly layout a booth), and there are some really big skills which you can't accurately model in a contest that's made to be watched in 20 minutes. A twelve day competition barely scratches the surface of what you need to know or learn to do and you can only effectively judge their artistic ability and creator's voice to a degree in the eliminations. This is why the elimination round is the be all end all of the competition.

    So let me say this again:
    The competition exists to promote PA and younger artists that Mike and Jerry think have a chance at creating a career. It's lightly educational and intended as mostly entertainment.

    I think they need to do a better job of selecting their content for this show so they can grow their audience. If you're not a PA brand loyalist, and you're not someone who becomes endeared to the contestants, this show has become lacking for the last few episodes. You can't appeal to everyone all the time, but it would be nice to see some relevant and interesting competitions to set up elimination rounds.

    So ya, chalk one up to asperger's.

    sketchityduddlesemarecksaykay
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    If you're not someone who becomes endeared to the contestants here, Monty, I truly don't know what it will take to get endeared. That's a huge, huge draw of the show. It's really rather revolutionary in the genre.

    EDIT: Case in point, Erika is now asking via Twitter if people would, real and for true, fund a Kickstarter for a web series of her and Amy pretty much just screwing around.

    Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    emarecksaykayshoeboxjeddy
  • jgoldjgold Registered User new member
    I have a theory about this episode. I noticed that when teams were chosen for the contestants they paired the winner of the last challenge with the winner of the elimination. I think when the show was planned this was intentionally designed from the start to cause some drama and tension. At this point it's clear all the contestants are just too cool with whomever they work with and like each other too much to fight. I love this show. The contestants are the reason for this.

  • Yasmine TeethYasmine Teeth Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Erika is now asking via Twitter if people would, real and for true, fund a Kickstarter for a web series of her and Amy pretty much just screwing around.

    Ugh. Getting a little sick of this Kickstarter handout culture.

  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Erika is now asking via Twitter if people would, real and for true, fund a Kickstarter for a web series of her and Amy pretty much just screwing around.

    Ugh. Getting a little sick of this Kickstarter handout culture culture where normal people act as "patrons," rewarding artists for creating things they enjoy by enabling them to create more things they enjoy.

    Fixed that for you.

    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    LampahdokTomantaenderandrewemarecksaykayshoeboxjeddyBucho
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Erika is now asking via Twitter if people would, real and for true, fund a Kickstarter for a web series of her and Amy pretty much just screwing around.

    Ugh. Getting a little sick of this Kickstarter handout culture culture where normal people act as "patrons," rewarding artists for creating things they enjoy by enabling them to create more things they enjoy.

    Fixed that for you.
    Seriously, people don't really realize how long-standing that is. A shitload of Renaissance-era art- music, too- only happened because someone very, very rich decided that one thing they wanted as a status symbol was to be the 'patron' of an artist, who they'd feed and house in the hopes of gaining fame through the ages when the artist they were feeding and housing created something awesome. What was that but a one-person Kickstarter?

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    emarecksaykayshoeboxjeddy
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    Erika is now asking via Twitter if people would, real and for true, fund a Kickstarter for a web series of her and Amy pretty much just screwing around.

    Ugh. Getting a little sick of this Kickstarter handout culture culture where normal people act as "patrons," rewarding artists for creating things they enjoy by enabling them to create more things they enjoy.

    Fixed that for you.
    Seriously, people don't really realize how long-standing that is. A shitload of Renaissance-era art- music, too- only happened because someone very, very rich decided that one thing they wanted as a status symbol was to be the 'patron' of an artist, who they'd feed and house in the hopes of gaining fame through the ages when the artist they were feeding and housing created something awesome. What was that but a one-person Kickstarter?

    And now we get USB drives and shit out of the deal!

    Kickstarter culture is infinitely superior to culture dictated by broadcast and recording companies.

    emarecksaykay
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Kickstarter is a fairly democratic way of deciding which creative works get done and which ones don't.

    So, what you're really saying is that you hate democracy.

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    KalTorakenderandrewMKF36EshoeboxjeddyBucho
  • Yasmine TeethYasmine Teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Removed, sorry for wasting your time guys and gals. I concede the argument and shouldn't have made the original post.

    Yasmine Teeth on
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Scott McCloud (who I occasionally sacrifice old pens to on the altar of webcomics) once defined "art" as "anything anyone does that isn't directly an attempt to fulfill our base desires to 1) survive and 2) procreate. How do you define "artists creating art" comrade?

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    emarecksaykay
Sign In or Register to comment.