Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - On the Hunt

12346»

• Yasmine TeethYasmine Teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    See above and I regret wasting your time, ahdok. Apologies

Yasmine Teeth on
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    Kickstarter is lovely and benevolent and democratic and it will turn on you in an instant and destroy you the minute you put a foot wrong. yeah I speak from bitter experience. Like all forms of self publishing, etc, it sounds great - don't involve middle men or arbiters of quality and taste like publishers - just let people support what they want. Cool. Then you realise that you have to already have fans and already be popular to stand any chance of succeeding in the incredibly crowded marketplace of Kickstarter, and it becomes about who's got the best marketing and the best ways of spreading the word and all the things that the middlemen we (in many ways rightly) are leaving behind would have done for the artists they selected for us...

It's not a bad thing but it's not a wonderful answer to everything that's wrong either. Really, really good projects will continue to fail because no one will see them, and really, really dodgy projects will continue to succeed because they belong to someone with a huge fanbase. Like always. Because no one has time to evaluate everything put forward to us, and no one has infinite money to take a punt on something that only might be interesting, and so we have to use shortcuts like who we already like to decide what to support. Like always.

I really admire how Lexxy is choosing to respond to nice people and ignore grumpy comments. and I think this is kind of the lesson of the Twitter challenge. Thing is, Scott was right. You cannot ask people to tell you how to write and what to write about in that way. Listening to positive feedback and constructive criticism is one thing; inviting someone who says 'ugh you're shite' to explain why in an email is absolutely a bad idea. It won't help improve your art, it won't make them happy, it won't make anyone else happy. If you're really concerned about something people are commenting on, sometimes blogging about why you chose to do something is a good way of dealing with stuff - keeping the discussion public, keeping control of what you tell your audience, allowing them to discuss your opinions but maintaining that you and you alone make the decisions. etc.

and just to say I love Skadi. I prefer silly fantasy jokey stuff like Skadi to the chronicles of their day to day lives that many of the artists do, but that's just personal preference. I'm not going to start tweeting mean comments at them or anything though. :)

emarecksaykay
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty agreed with all of that, but I wouldn't say those are problems with kickstarter, so much as general problems that kickstarter hasn't solved. In a Democracy, everyone gets one vote, but some people have louder voices than others.

In this case, you're both right that the project is a bit "sight-unseen" it could well be a dubious or poorly done project, but that's a risk you always take when investing in something, and it's something that doesn't bother me.

My comments above were a bit tongue in cheek because while I'm a bit jaded myself with all this kickstarter business, I do feel it's a tad silly to suggest people shouldn't try and fund their ideas. However, in this case I am also quite excited about the idea for actual reasons. For me, it's simply that these are funny creative lovely people who have provided me with entertainment. I'm happy to give them some of my money to say thank-you. If they spent it all on jelly and ice-cream, I wouldn't complain, but if they want to have a go at making more entertainment, that's an awesome ambition - win or fail.

The next stage is to convince AmErika to extend "shennanigans" into "documentary road-trip where they individually visit all the artists post-StripSearch, and see what they're up to, while drawing some art and having fun with them." :)

ahdok on
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    There is no "best" artist here. They are all incredibly talented in their own style. I am in awe of them all.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It's definitely a problem that Kickstarter hasn't solved. It's pretty awful to try and browse Kickstarter for projects so only the already-popular ones (which are often the ones promoted well outside of Kickstarter) get attention. At a minimum they should let you hide finished projects and projects you have no interest in.

But the kickstarter model has plenty of potential to fund artists. But like even the old patronage models, the artist has to work for it.

• KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    A world with Kickstarter has an easier time finding and funding unrecognized/unknown projects of worth, and thereby allows more people to pay and be paid for art and products they value, than a world without Kickstarter.

Not perfect =/= not good.

Tomantaemarecksaykay
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    Another counter intuitive thing about Kickstarter is that it may seem unfair that juggernauts like PA (who have one of the biggest megaphones on the net, and presumably mountains of cash already) are using it to fund projects. At first blush it seems like this has potential to crowd out support for smaller projects. But from what I've read the effect is actually quite the opposite -- If PA or Zach Braff or whomever starts a KS campaign it actually benefits everyone just by drawing more people to KS who weren't even aware of it before. Some percentage of those people will notice another, smaller project and back it.

blaghemarecksaykay
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Speaking of KS and PA, if you want to have some fun, read the comments in this article...
    http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/05/09/editors-letter-penny-arcade-and-the-abuse-of-kickstarter/

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Speaking of KS and PA, if you want to have some fun, read the comments in this article...
    http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/05/09/editors-letter-penny-arcade-and-the-abuse-of-kickstarter/

Hahaha! Look at all those sour grapes!

Artists need to get paid. Nothing is free. End of story.

g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    LexxyGarret Dorigan
    My comic is free, although a bit naff. I get paid for doing science.

• Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about KS. I can see both sides of the argument and can see how some can be put-off from it. Does PA really need $201k and growing for a podcast that was set to be funded at $10? And did "Veronica Mars" really need to go on KS? But, I also know that fans, and others, are willingly giving/donating/investing their cash. No one is sticking a gun to anyone's head.
    On the other hand, without KS, we wouldn't have "Strip Search". And while I groaned when I first saw "Strip Search" on the stretch goals, this has turned into being a surprisingly very good show, and has introduced these contestants to fans they may not have had otherwise. So, thank you KS.
    I do like seeing how KS can really help small ventures. The Order of the Stick, a "one-man show", or at least I think it is, netted $1.2 million when all he was seeking was about $58k. Who can not like stories like that?
    Oh well. I guess at the end of it all I'm for it, but I can see where others can be justifiably put-off from it.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »

It's not really free though. It's just that you are paying the price to have it (and enjoy it!) instead of readers. And that's fine, because it's fun to do.

g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about KS. I can see both sides of the argument and can see how some can be put-off from it. Does PA really need $201k and growing for a podcast that was set to be funded at $10? And did "Veronica Mars" really need to go on KS? But, I also know that fans, and others, are willingly giving/donating/investing their cash. No one is sticking a gun to anyone's head.
    On the other hand, without KS, we wouldn't have "Strip Search". And while I groaned when I first saw "Strip Search" on the stretch goals, this has turned into being a surprisingly very good show, and has introduced these contestants to fans they may not have had otherwise. So, thank you KS.
    I do like seeing how KS can really help small ventures. The Order of the Stick, a "one-man show", or at least I think it is, netted $1.2 million when all he was seeking was about $58k. Who can not like stories like that?
    Oh well. I guess at the end of it all I'm for it, but I can see where others can be justifiably put-off from it.

I don't see the justification for being put off from it. You listed a bunch of tangible benefits of KS, balanced against some ethereal "does X really need to use Y platform to get money?" hangups.

For a lot of these projects, KS is the difference between getting funding and the projects getting developed, and no funding and the projects dying before anyone knows they exist. So yes, those really do "need" them.

For other projects, there's a possibility that they could be funded by more traditional sources (a few investors/venture capitalists), but whoever those sources are, they're taking some amount of risk by funding the project. One half of the benefit of KS is the money provided; the other half is the direct market research into the demand for the product. Almost every week you hear stories of little projects with modest goals getting blown out of the water by backers pledging tons of money - the creators had no idea their idea would be so popular (e.g. look at Planet Money, an NPR podcast run by people whose job it is to know about market forces; the funding for their t-shirt project exceeded their wildest estimates). If a creator underestimates the demand, then any traditional investor will be just as or even more wary of investing; the perceived risk of investment goes up, and the investor either decides not to invest or demands a higher cut of the profits than they would have if they'd had a more accurate measure of the risk involved. This means less money goes to the creators, all because they couldn't get an accurate sense of the demand.

Again, KS is far from perfect, but the combination of the well-known platform and the backer system gives a snapshot of 1) how many people are interested in a project, and 2) how much money they'd be willing to put up for it. So even if projects are getting help from traditional investors, a successful KS campaign is hard data that the creator can point to demonstrating solid demand for the product. this shows the investor that the project involves less risk, so they can be more generous with their investments and the creator can hold on to a bigger piece of their idea.

Maybe those projects don't "need" crowdfunding per se, but if you're in favor of project creators getting paid a fair share for ideas, KS is a valuable tool for making that happen.

All that besides the fact that (as posted above) already-popular/well-known project creators don't detract from other KS projects' funding, but rather enhance them. At worst, Project X is unaffected by people funding Project Z. At best, it benefits from it. Not only is there no justification for hating on certain people using KS because they're popular, it's actually detrimental to the haters' stated purpose.

parmeisan
    Elbasunu wrote: »

It's not really free though. It's just that you are paying the price to have it (and enjoy it!) instead of readers. And that's fine, because it's fun to do.

Aw.

Elbasunu
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    One thing I don't like about Kickstarter is when investors get upset because they feel you're not using their extra money wisely.

Like if the goal is $20,000 and for some reason people give you $80,000 the final product has to be 4x better (in their estimation) or you're a crook.

How about not donating once it's funded if you're going to be cranky?

Bucho
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey folks, this isn't a general debate section, please keep the topic at least relevant to Strip Search. I know the tangent got started as related, but it seems to have become "let's debate the merits of kickstarter" which is not within the remit of this section.

vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    edited May 2013
    KalTorak wrote: »
    At worst, Project X is unaffected by people funding Project Z.

Well, when I was involved in projects seeking KS funding, people often told us that they wished they had the capacity to support our stuff, but had used up their KS budget for the month on other stuff...

yeah of course in some cases that was probably politeness, but I don't think it was always a white lie.

Using KS, like any form of funding, also requires a bunch of research, know-how, and other sorts of cleverness. as more and more people acquire that knowledge, things are going to get more and more competitive and interesting!

Weaselsoup on
    Baelzar wrote: »
    Nice navigating there, Lex! Thinking outside of the map.

I guess if you were playing Pac Man you could've gone off one side of the map and come in the other.

OMG, I JUST REALIZED THAT THIS IS TRUE ABOUT THE REAL WORLD

Felipesnacemarecksaykay
    Weaselsoup wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    At worst, Project X is unaffected by people funding Project Z.

Well, when I was involved in projects seeking KS funding, people often told us that they wished they had the capacity to support our stuff, but had used up their KS budget for the month on other stuff...

yeah of course in some cases that was probably politeness, but I don't think it was always a white lie.

i mean... by that reasoning, anything a person could possibly spend money on is detrimental to deserving KS projects.

One of the points of KS funding isn't to get any one specific person's investment - that's back to the traditional format of asking rich people to risk their money; it's to get a huge group of people to invest small amounts. If one person says their monthly KS budget is dry, there are lots of people ready to take their place. If there's no one to take their place, then the project didn't have the requisite market appeal anyway.

emarecksaykay
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Staying relevant to the show as per request: it will be really interesting to see where all the strip search artists go from here. I don't think I'm taking a big risk by saying that each and every one of them has increased their exposure and potential for success by being on the show. KS isn't a new concept, it is simply a new tool that makes the ancient concept of funding more accessible; these artists need to be smart and use every tool available to them to maximize the exposure the show has given them.

So far I've discovered that Maki, Monica, Abby and Alex have existing sites and content that I really enjoy. I've discovered that Lexxy and Katie have art styles and wit that I go ga-ga over. All of these people already have me re-visiting them on an ordinary basis because they each add something to my life. No one has, as of yet, put forth any project that will make me into a daily/weekly reader. I'm hoping for that eventually.

endiku on
  • FelipesnacFelipesnac Registered User new member
    Such a good show. These artists are all great and Lexxy and Maki styles just speak personally to me. It's a really nice reality show, with nice people, nice challenges and nice producers and hosts. So refreshing not having to stand that fake anger from other reality bullshit shows.

Oh I see what you mean, KalTorak, apologies.

And yes back on topic - the skills and knowledge to run a successful KS, I would see as highly desirable in a Strip Search competitor, and I think the Twitter challenge in terms of relationships with fans was testing a small part of those skills. as, I guess, are a lot of the challenges that test collaboration and planning, like the landmark one.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    30 short minutes until this.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Someone on twitter posted that and speculated Maki might have a hard time.

I begged to differ.

kawaiimakichan_zpse1fab4ed.jpg

KatieJRiceAngry_SamoanGoslingmml007Spman2099zerzhulKochikensElbasunuHanClintoDark Raven XTofystedethmiaAusa
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    That was me.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    escorial wrote: »
    I know I am a bit late in the conversation, but I tried to read as many of the comments as possible. Some of them agree some disagree, but never the less here are my two cents.
    The first time I watched this episode, I felt as if Lexxy came up a little bossy and was a bit "bothered" by her "assertiveness". Upon thinking about it and thanks to some of your comments I came to a different view. I feel Lexxy is and assertive person, and a leader. The history is full of successful people that made it into the history books for been leaders, for taking charge when needed and for coming as bossy. On the episode it seems more obvious when we have the chance to compare Maki and Lexxy interaction style with Abby and Katie; almost on the opposite side of the spectrum, but I wonder if that same style would have work for Lexxy and Maki.
    Maki seems a very relaxed guy, who doesn't mind to take a secondary role; as a matter of fact he probably rather that position.
    Unfortunately we are judging these guys by 30 minutes of edited film and that is very unfair. Lexxy has proven to be a leader, ago get it" kind of person and somebody who is not afraid to put on the table her opinions and values. A clear proof was the episode in which she argued to the teeth with Scott Kurtz; and I had to agree with her on most of her points.
    So, with that said, go Lexxy, go Maki, go Abby and go Katie. You are giving us a good time, at least for 60 minutes per week. :)

Leaders are generally judged on the results of their leadership. If you want to say Lexxy is a leader, that's fine, but then let's judge her appropriately. Bossiness is only a leadership quality if it's successful, and Lexxy was unsuccessful. If she were a historical figure, as you seem to want to compare her as, she'd be remembered for her bossiness but not her leadership.

Does Maki take some of the blame for ceding power to an ineffectual leader to begin with? Of course.

Now I don't mean any disrespect to Lexxy here. She was willing to step up, and not everyone who steps up to be a leader is successful 100% of the time. Part of leading is dealing with failures, and a mark of a good leader is to learn from them. Lexxy remains, however, untested in this regard. Perhaps there is another chance for her to lead something coming up, and she can demonstrate she's learned something from her failure.

Maybe her personality is indeed an asset. We've yet to see this be the case, however. We know from the PATV New Hire episodes, that Khoo had serious concerns about her personality, and arguably it cost her a job working at Penny Arcade (at the very least, it was an important factor in their decision). We know from Strip Search that it sent her into an Elimination where she was initially eliminated. She came back only by chance; Lexxy's outburst with a judge could have cost her the final prize right there. Now she's lost out on a dinner with Mike, Jerry, and Khoo, a very valuable reward, again arguably because of her personality.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    Gamercow wrote: »
    @frnknstn If @Spiffy McBang is from the Northeast US, "handling the natives" is definitely an accurate term that can be used for asking for directions. Especially in Philly, NYC, or Boston. More than once, I've given directions in Boston as "straight ahead", even if I don't know where the hell the thing is they're asking for. A comedian(Steve Sweeney?) did a bit on this. I'm pretty sure that many folks that go to PAX East can attest to the natives reluctance to give help.

In Boston, when you're giving directions, you're supposed to start with "you can't get there from here".

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    I really dislike all those Lexxy-haters out there. I really hope they get eliminated next.

Her rabid obsessive fans are pretty annoying too ;-). I rather enjoyed the week after she was eliminated the first time, and not having to read so many comments about her.

Honestly in the beginning I didn't think much of Lexxy one way or another on the show. I was surprised to see her, certainly, after her appearance on PATV. I knew she was not a webcomic creator. I knew she hadn't impressed Penny Arcade enough once already. The amount of praise heaped upon her from the start, before anyone had seen her do anything, though, was kind of a surprise as well.

I wouldn't call myself a Lexxy-hater, though Lexxy-fan-hater probably applies. I honestly don't understand some of you people. She's made no comics. Why do you think she'll suddenly become a big webcomic creator when she's totally unproven? She's certainly a very good illustrator. But can she write? Can she produce work consistently and quickly enough to make a webcomic on any kind of schedule? Even in the very beginning of the show, she hadn't slept the night before going to the house because she was still working on an illustrator job right up to the last minute (and then past it, making the camera crew wait for her).

Outside of her internet fame, and having been a member of these forums for a long time, why do any of you like her? I'm honestly asking, because I just don't get it. If she wasn't already an active member of these boards, and hadn't been on PATV already, would you still be a fan? Would you still back her kickstarter? She has no experience in webcomics. She has no body of work to look at that shows she can do this. Her fandom really reminds me of when a famous musician tries to become a Hollywood actor, and everyone gets excited before their first movie comes out.

I'm just still waiting to be impressed. Her first elimination comic was tame and incomplete. Her second comic was better, but up against one of the weakest comics we've seen, from a humor standpoint (Monica wasn't trying to be funny), which is all that really matters. I can ignore her personality, I honestly couldn't care less as long as she's funny, but since that's all we've got to go by, she hasn't done anything to make me like her personally. I do think some people are analyzing her words closer than they do for some others on the show, that's a perfectly valid criticism against some of the Lexxy-haters. But I do understand why they don't like her, as there's certain been a pattern with her, and they aren't saying anything that Khoo didn't say in the New Hire episodes of PATV. If you ask me, I think both her fans and her detractors are both a little obsessed. Me, I'm just still waiting to be impressed.

Katie has shown incredible creativity, skill, personal resilience, and a talent for dark humor. Abby is consistently hilarious and better at art than she gets credit for (her characters are extremely expressive). Maki is calm, thoughtful, a great artist, and a fantastic deadpan comedian. Lexxy is enthusiastic, certainly, and a great illustrator (when given unlimited time), but where has she shown any skill at making a webcomic? Where on the internet can I go to see her webcomic? Her website is a blank page with a link to her blog.

I don't expect to convince any of her fans that they should stop being fans. But can you at least admit that people are validly unconvinced she can make webcomics her career? As far as I can tell, there is zero evidence that she can. Maybe instead of Lexxy-haters, you can start calling people Lexxy-skeptics.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    Baelzar
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    I really dislike all those Lexxy-haters out there. I really hope they get eliminated next.

Her rabid obsessive fans are pretty annoying too ;-). I rather enjoyed the week after she was eliminated the first time, and not having to read so many comments about her.

Honestly in the beginning I didn't think much of Lexxy one way or another on the show. I was surprised to see her, certainly, after her appearance on PATV. I knew she was not a webcomic creator. I knew she hadn't impressed Penny Arcade enough once already. The amount of praise heaped upon her from the start, before anyone had seen her do anything, though, was kind of a surprise as well.

I wouldn't call myself a Lexxy-hater, though Lexxy-fan-hater probably applies. I honestly don't understand some of you people. She's made no comics. Why do you think she'll suddenly become a big webcomic creator when she's totally unproven? She's certainly a very good illustrator. But can she write? Can she produce work consistently and quickly enough to make a webcomic on any kind of schedule? Even in the very beginning of the show, she hadn't slept the night before going to the house because she was still working on an illustrator job right up to the last minute (and then past it, making the camera crew wait for her).

Outside of her internet fame, and having been a member of these forums for a long time, why do any of you like her? I'm honestly asking, because I just don't get it. If she wasn't already an active member of these boards, and hadn't been on PATV already, would you still be a fan? Would you still back her kickstarter? She has no experience in webcomics. She has no body of work to look at that shows she can do this. Her fandom really reminds me of when a famous musician tries to become a Hollywood actor, and everyone gets excited before their first movie comes out.

I'm just still waiting to be impressed. Her first elimination comic was tame and incomplete. Her second comic was better, but up against one of the weakest comics we've seen, from a humor standpoint (Monica wasn't trying to be funny), which is all that really matters. I can ignore her personality, I honestly couldn't care less as long as she's funny, but since that's all we've got to go by, she hasn't done anything to make me like her personally. I do think some people are analyzing her words closer than they do for some others on the show, that's a perfectly valid criticism against some of the Lexxy-haters. But I do understand why they don't like her, as there's certain been a pattern with her, and they aren't saying anything that Khoo didn't say in the New Hire episodes of PATV. If you ask me, I think both her fans and her detractors are both a little obsessed. Me, I'm just still waiting to be impressed.

Katie has shown incredible creativity, skill, personal resilience, and a talent for dark humor. Abby is consistently hilarious and better at art than she gets credit for (her characters are extremely expressive). Maki is calm, thoughtful, a great artist, and a fantastic deadpan comedian. Lexxy is enthusiastic, certainly, and a great illustrator (when given unlimited time), but where has she shown any skill at making a webcomic? Where on the internet can I go to see her webcomic? Her website is a blank page with a link to her blog.

I don't expect to convince any of her fans that they should stop being fans. But can you at least admit that people are validly unconvinced she can make webcomics her career? As far as I can tell, there is zero evidence that she can. Maybe instead of Lexxy-haters, you can start calling people Lexxy-skeptics.

I totally have no problem with you, emarecksaykay. I think you are a fairly solid poster whom regularly makes comments that I either totally agree with, or see as adding to the conversation. However, the one exception to this is your dogged disdain towards Lexxy. Its not that I don't think you should have an opinion on the matter, it is just that you seem nearly obsessive in your abuse of Lexxy. It doesn't come across as simple skepticism when you are so relentless in your criticism. I recommend taking a few steps back and gathering a little perspective; I just think you may have gone a little over the deep end on this one, buddy.

My top four favourite artists of the series (in no particular order) have been Monica, Abby, Katie and Maki, so I'm not actually even on the Lexxy-wagon. I do have hella-respect for the quality of art Lexxy produces though. I just dislike it when people post an unqualified "I hate so-and-so" on internet forums. (Debate, and actual useful criticism I'm fine with.)

So anyway. My original comment wasn't so much a statement of fandom as it was satire.

• foofoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

That's easy to answer. I didn't know any of the artists from beforehand, nor was I on these forums. But Lexxy's personality, professionalism, and demeanor draw a lot of people to her. She stands out among the other artists who seem a lot less sure of themselves.

Does that mean she'll automatically make a webcomic better than the others? No. But it does make people want to root for her. She is also vindicated in that both of the elimination comics she made were very well received by both the creators and many/most of the commenters.

foo on
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »
    Someone on twitter posted that and speculated Maki might have a hard time.

I begged to differ.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/kysds13/kawaiimakichan_zpse1fab4ed.jpg
    Sailor Beard truly is kawaii

• endikuendiku Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Her rabid obsessive fans are pretty annoying too ;-)...

Outside of her internet fame, and having been a member of these forums for a long time, why do any of you like her?

This was a really well written critique of the current Lexxy-verse. I can't answer for the PA crowd who are Lexxy fans as I am not a PA person. I have nothing against PA, and frankly this show has gotten me to start becoming a PA fan as I am thoroughly impressed with every PA personality starting with Mike and Jerry; but I spent absolutely no time in the world of PA before Strip Search. Everyone on this show is brand spanking new to me, and I come to it with no prior favorites.

Answering purely as a fan of the arts and a fan of Strip Search, I can tell you why I am such a rabid Lexxy fan. Hopefully that will help enlighten you a bit into the mind of others who like her.

Put very simply: Lexxy is a professional. Her demeanor, her poise, her focus; they are all clear indicators of a professional artist. That impresses me. Next we look at her actual talent, which there is no question she has. Talent is a wonderful thing, but untrained talent is meaningless and frankly wasted; Lexxy does not waste her talent, she works at it in a professional manner. Perhaps because I have always suffered from poor time management myself, I feel a certain connection to Lexxy's struggle to balance tangible output with creative desire. I am only theorizing, but I can guess that Lexxy's "no nonsense" approach (which I am convinced is the thing that puts people off about her) is how she actively resolves this dilemma of her natural tendencies.

Even though Lexxy has such estimable professional qualities, her personality is still fun and friendly. Her DinoRollers comic was quite hilarious, which I rate as one of top 3 funniest, and her clown comic was indeed wonderful. These are direct reflections of her personality. As she has said herself, she might be thought an imposter and not have a body of work like the others, but the proof is in the pudding and Lexxy makes some really good pudding so far.

I could also say that Lexxy is cute as a button, and that doesn't hurt her in any way :P

endiku on
    HanClinto
  • PolynomialsPolynomials Registered User regular
    Lexxy is the best one. None of the other artists hold a candle to her in my opinion, and she consistently wows Jerry and Mike with her comics. Last time her comic was really only half-rendered. Monica's was good, and perhaps in that instance possibly better than Lexxy's but take away that hour and a half time limit as things will be in the real world, and Lexxy blows Monica away. Her first comic, Jerry said, he looks at her work and sees not only webcomic, but also books and other media...whole franchises. And then she makes the dino roller skates comic which shows she can also do anything the other artists here can do, in addition to having much deeper talent in other modes of work. I don't know who says she doesn't have a body of work to judge; go to her website and you'll see that she is a sick illustrator. This is influenced by my personal preference because I think her art speaks to me much more than anyone else's.

On top of this, her demeanor fits well with what we've seen of the PA guys- she demands a lot from other people and from herself, but while still keeping things lighthearted and fun. She is confident and doesn't back down from challenges like when Scott Kurtz criticized her (I think stupidly) for trying not to offend audiences with bias (I mean, really, telling people not to care about how they might be stereotyping members of their audience? Notice that the main people who were saying Lexxy should shutup- Nick, Monica- have been eliminated, one of them by Lexxy.) And on the other hand, she is in no way a sore loser- she takes (valid) criticism well and knows her shortcomings. She is extraordinarily skilled and confident.

Maki...I don't know, I'm just generally unimpressed by him, sorry. His artwork, his fit with the PA guys, his general performance in the challenges. Both he and Tavis I feel there is something profoundly boring about them that I cannot put my finger on. Abby, Lexxy, and even Katie all have an edge to them that comes with true creativity. I think that Abby is a good artist, but I don't know that she'll be able to survive in a Robert Khoo-run office. She might be too young to really work at the pace he seems like he would demand; on the other hand it seems like Lexxy will give as good as she gets, and she has shown she can do anything Abby can do. Katie I think can put up with a lot of demands; I like everything about her but her actual artwork. She is skilled...but I still think Lexxy can do anything Katie can do while possibly being a better fit for the office and her comics are better I think.

Not that this is relevant to her performance but I have to say it, Lexxy is way hotter than Abby and Katie, so that doesn't hurt either.

• alexbildalexbild Registered User new member
    "I spent it here, filling myself with cream." Did Tobias Fünke write this one?

parmeisanSpman2099hazardousindex
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this episode, especially since I've been to a bunch of those locations and am not from Seattle, so the "oh shit, where is this?" was a shared experience. Most of these places I ended up seeing during various PAXes on the PAX Prime forum-organized Seattle Magical Mystery Tour.

Also due to PAX, I was all "OOH OOH THE PARAMOUNT!!!!" when @KatieJRice and Abby were near the WSCC :) I love episodes that make me want to yell at the screen in hopes that they can hear the directions... NO THAT WAY! UGGGHHH JUST MISSED IT! :D

I had a pretty similar experience having been on vacation in Seattle when this aired and coming back home to watch it. It was all, "OH I recognize those tracks under that overpass by the aquarium." and "Oh hey, I remember walking down that same jankety stairway in the alley."

steam_sig.png
12346»