As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DKC Tropical Freeze: The sound of a thousand balloons popping.

1131415161719»

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Just gonna come out and say it. DKC3 is a steaming turd.

Oh, it is not. It's got the gameplay down just fine. The problem seems to be more about the aesthetics. Kiddy Kong literally plays exactly like DK, so why not use DK?

Other than that, I felt the color scheme seemed very off in DKC3. The enemies all seemed very bright and saturated while the backgrounds all seemed washed out.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    My only real issue is that they threw much into the pot with DKC3. The world map is large and confusing, there's like a dozen different collectibles to be had, and overall it seems to lack focus.

DKC is a bit too simplistic looking back on it, but DKC2 added just enough to make it near perfection. DKC3 just went overboard, and in many ways it's indicative of Rare's future games. (Banjo Tooie was WAY too big and spread open, and DK64 was collectible hell.)

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Getting close to the end of DKCTF and sweet Lord this game is determined to crush my scrote into dust. With DKCR3D I managed to unlock and clear every stage in the game. I want to do the same with TF but goddamn. God. Damn.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I can see this game being horribly difficult by yourself. My wife and I are going through it and it's tough but not hard (granted we haven't done any of the special levels yet) because if one of us dies the other person plays "dodge everything" until we come back.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Level 2-K allowed me to discover that you can only have 999 banana coins max.

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I can see this game being horribly difficult by yourself. My wife and I are going through it and it's tough but not hard (granted we haven't done any of the special levels yet) because if one of us dies the other person plays "dodge everything" until we come back.

This gives me hope, as I am going through this with the GF, but she is the farthest thing from a "gamer". I'm being nice and not playing any bit of it without her, which sucks, but it is very rare she asks to play a game with me so I don't want to ruin it. This probably wasn't the best choice for her first game(I am still trying to get her to play SM3DW first), but I can't pick and choose what she shows an interest in. Maybe I can give her my OG 3DS that I don't use anymore and find something to get her started slow.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My wife isn't a gamer in the least either. She'll play the Mario Party/Wii party games with me and the kids. She plays Mario games with us too.

Other than that, the only games she likes to play is Dr. Mario/Tetris/Candy Crush...those are the only games she gets excited about playing.

Donkey Kong, fuggedaboutit. She'll watch me play, but she has no interest in playing herself.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I played with my wife up until about world 6. She made the levels a lot easier, but at the cost of so very many lives.

We accumulated like 50 lives in the first two worlds, but world 3 and 4 had us down to about 5 or 6 by the time we finished it.

• Options
    Kor wrote: »
    I played with my wife up until about world 6. She made the levels a lot easier, but at the cost of so very many lives.

We accumulated like 50 lives in the first two worlds, but world 3 and 4 had us down to about 5 or 6 by the time we finished it.

Yeah, this sounds all too familiar. It's basically us. Not that I'm great at the game, but trying to teach her as we go is a task in and of itself. But I shall not complain; she is sitting across the room from me at this very moment, playing it on the gamepad all by her lonesome. She wants to take the WiiU home to continue playing when I leave to go to Boston for game night at the bar. I am packing up one of my 3DS with DKC3D for her to use tonight instead. This could be the gateway I need to transition her. She already wants to come to all 3 days of PAX with me. Things are looking up.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    The boss battles in tropical freeze are delightful. Polar bear boss is probably my favorite.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I liked the baboons best so far. They were hilarious.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I was hoping the wife would like DKC:TF but she finds the controls too confusing. (The controls are a bit overloaded when controlling Diddy via the wiimote. Game doesn't allow her to use Wii classic controller) Maybe I'll encourage her to try the gamepad again.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    b1rdman wrote: »

Yeah, this sounds all too familiar. It's basically us. Not that I'm great at the game, but trying to teach her as we go is a task in and of itself. But I shall not complain; she is sitting across the room from me at this very moment, playing it on the gamepad all by her lonesome. She wants to take the WiiU home to continue playing when I leave to go to Boston for game night at the bar. I am packing up one of my 3DS with DKC3D for her to use tonight instead. This could be the gateway I need to transition her. She already wants to come to all 3 days of PAX with me. Things are looking up.

This has actually been the story of every Multiplayer platformer that's come out since the Wii. The games are fun in the beginning, but the back half of the game makes it feel more like we're causing each other more harm than good. All the new super mario bros were like this.

It actually makes me wish that simultaneous co-op worked more like it did back in the SNES days, instead of the more modern camera priority fights and accidental death causes.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    greeble wrote: »
    I was hoping the wife would like DKC:TF but she finds the controls too confusing. (The controls are a bit overloaded when controlling Diddy via the wiimote. Game doesn't allow her to use Wii classic controller) Maybe I'll encourage her to try the gamepad again.

If you don't have a controller pro, this might be a good excuse to get one.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    greeble wrote: »

Wii U Pro controller is $40.99 at Best Buy at the moment. Accessories are 15% off with any game purchase. So pick up a game of any price and you can grab a Wii U Pro Controller for $34.84.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »

I'm jealous. My wife plays games pretty regularly but had absolutely no interest in going to PAX.

• Options
    Yeah I can't explain her interest in PAX or her sudden interest in games for that matter. But I won't be complaining. Just have to explain to some other people I planned on taking certain days that they may not be able to go. Who knew DK would be the gateway. I hope it leads to Smash and Mario Kart. My argument will be, "look babe, donkey Kong and diddy are in this game too. You'll love it. Let's play." Its foolproof, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Weird that you never encounter any of the Snowmad penguins in underwater sections. You'd think they'd actually put up a better fight underwater instead of getting their heads bopped on land.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally beat it. SO many levels still to unlock. I want to see more of the game, but do I want the punishment?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    Thread necromancy!

I beat it today, I think it took about 12-14 hours over the course of 3 days. That's definitely less time than Returns took, which seemed like a more arduous and epic journey.

Returns was probably one of the top 5 2d platformers of the past 15 years. I can't necessarily say that TF has bettered it, though they have matched it, and refined it beautifully. The masterful HD art, no waggle, and David Wise jams give it an edge in some departments.

At least one level per world qualifies as a full on audio/visual amazing experience. When I heard the 3 different phases of music in the alpine balloons level in world 2, I understood the meaning of "feels".

The main difference I've seen in the levels is that they seem a little more fair. Some of the worlds in Returns seemed to spam you with the burning tikis and the non-boppable crabs, which could cause a lot of annoyance, even in early worlds. In TF, it was smooth sailing early on. I was knee deep in World 4 in about 3 hours flat.

The water boss was my first roadblock...oh man, did I hate that guy. Every time I thought I was in the zone, I'd forget about the stupid air meter, which I think is unnecessary for a game like this. It was giving me Sonic The Hedgehog flashbacks.

Then in 5-1, shit gets real. That one was a wake up call.

The last boss didn't seem that hard in theory, but it still took me about 20 tries. I was glad to be rid of that mofo. Of course, I never even knew about Dixie's screen clearing gold hearts moves until I watched a Youtube video of the fight, haha. And I never used any spare barrels in the course of the game, but plenty of the extra heart power up in the last 2 worlds.

Now, to mop up the remaining Kong letters and sink into the K temples, plenty more fun to go. I made it pretty far in 2-k the other day, then I spazzed out and hit a walrus near the end. I'll probably beat that one in 10 or 20 or 30 more tries.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I'm playing DKCR on my 3DS, and I'd like to know if Time Attack runs are necessary for 100% completion. I love the game because it's just got hard at world 3's temple, but getting at least bronze on Time Attack in every level seems way too hard.

BTW, I was told that you need to waggle in the Wii version. WTF were they thinking? I'm glad I never picked it up on the Wii.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I don't know if time attack is required, but regardless I would advise you to skip time attack and just do everything else in the game first. Not worth the frustration on your first time through.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I don't know if time attack is required, but regardless I would advise you to skip time attack and just do everything else in the game first. Not worth the frustration on your first time through.
    I did the first world when I collected all the puzzle pieces, but haven't bothered with it since, actually. It's kind of funny. It did give me an adrenaline rush, however. Few games nowadays can do that.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I've actually been playing DKC 1 this week and I definitely feel like Returns is better than the original trilogy by far.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    My only real issue is that they threw much into the pot with DKC3. The world map is large and confusing, there's like a dozen different collectibles to be had, and overall it seems to lack focus.

DKC is a bit too simplistic looking back on it, but DKC2 added just enough to make it near perfection. DKC3 just went overboard, and in many ways it's indicative of Rare's future games. (Banjo Tooie was WAY too big and spread open, and DK64 was collectible hell.)

Rare was notorious for overdoing it. Still, they have been able to keep their flavor. Even that sports game with the Kinect still feels like a Rare game. I am curious how many people in the company are the original employees.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Rare was notorious for overdoing it. Still, they have been able to keep their flavor. Even that sports game with the Kinect still feels like a Rare game. I am curious how many people in the company are the original employees.

Not many, by the sounds of it.

I still love the original trilogy, save for a few blemishes here and there. DKCR isn't my favorite, but I do love Tropical Freeze. If they keep to that level of fun/quality, I'll be good.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I've actually been playing DKC 1 this week and I definitely feel like Returns is better than the original trilogy by far.

DKC 1 is a fair bit different from DKC 2 and 3, though.