As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DKC Tropical Freeze: The sound of a thousand balloons popping.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I hope the overall difficulty is on par with DKC Returns.
    Sure, it was occasionally frustrating but beating it was so goddamn satisfying.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Maz- wrote: »

I hope it is difficult such that I expend 3/4ths as many lives as DKCR.

So if I died on a level 40 times, an equivalent difficulty level only takes me 30.

And/or I would like one more checkpoint per level, so I die just as much but it's easier to get back to the place where I died.

Satisfaction could still be had with a one life achievement for every level, or a mode that disables checkpoints, etc.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

I hope it is difficult such that I expend 3/4ths as many lives as DKCR.

So if I died on a level 40 times, an equivalent difficulty level only takes me 30.

And/or I would like one more checkpoint per level, so I die just as much but it's easier to get back to the place where I died.

Satisfaction could still be had with a one life achievement for every level, or a mode that disables checkpoints, etc.

Yeah, I'm more in Sporky's camp here. Include a Brutal mode for all I care, but if Easy on DKCR 3D was about maybe 10 percent easier (assuming you can measure in such a way) and a little less pixel precise (some deaths just felt dumb), I'd have liked it a bit more.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    No more spiders. Thats all Im asking for. Forced scrolling is fine but not like that

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ugh, I hated the spider level. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9qXAjOJGz0

Holy shit so many awesome retro tracks.

David Wise is a god.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Put DKC1-3 back on the VC dammit.

Lars on
  • Options
    Ugh air meters.

Most unfun mechanic ever.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ugh air meters.

Most unfun mechanic ever.

I disagree. Regenerating health is the most unfun mechanic ever.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I think that can work if they hit the sweet spot between speed of regen,damage, and player skill.

Almost impossible but doable. Air meters just enforce a time limit and inhibit exploration

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    aquatic ambience is one of my favorite songs ever, period

fucking yeah yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I have amazon money that I was debating saving and waiting on this game but... well I'm lying I was never gonna wait but now I'm really not gonna wait.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I think that can work if they hit the sweet spot between speed of regen,damage, and player skill.

Almost impossible but doable. Air meters just enforce a time limit and inhibit exploration

But all they need to do is create air bubble points on everything is fine. Better than unlimited air, unless you're talking about SMB1. Fireballs and unlimited air is OP. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Eh, the time limit seems fairly generous and there's not a whole lot to explore at any given time in a 2D platformer. It's much more annoying in something like Mario 64.

• Options
    Sonic one scarred me.Deep

• Options
    I need to cram the last little bit of DKCR before this comes out. I have two or three more areas to finish in mirror mode.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I need to cram the last little bit of DKCR before this comes out. I have two or three more areas to finish in mirror mode.

Oh god, mirror mode. Never did really bother with that...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So GameInformer reviewed Tropical Freeze and gave it a 9.25
    - Seems like generic worlds, ice, beach, jungle but "the variety is amazing"
    - Ride minecarts through saw mills, dash through a forest with a raging fire, etc.
    - Great difficulty balance, bonus stages are a bit ridiculous in difficulty though that is expected.
    - Water levels return, are very fun, better to control with analog stick than d-pad. For some reason you have to access the menu to pick one or the other.
    - Dixie and Cranky add new moves that work best to reach certain collectibles or specific platforming challenges. Rotating barrels allow you to select the best Kong for the job.
    - "Local Co-op is as much a mixed bag as the first installment."
    - 6 worlds instead of 8 in the last game. But each level is larger. Reviewer says it rather have a smaller collection of the best levels Retro can make than a more bloated game with less quality levels and that is exactly what this game does.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    While I'm glad to hear the levels are of high quality, I can't help but feel that only 6 worlds is inexcusable in this day and age. Especially when the asking price is as high as it is. But I will reserve my final judgement until I finish it.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    While I'm glad to hear the levels are of high quality, I can't help but feel that only 6 worlds is inexcusable in this day and age. Especially when the asking price is as high as it is. But I will reserve my final judgement until I finish it.

There could be only 3 worlds and I'd be fine as long as it had the same number of levels of amount of overall content as DKCR.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Hey, if they're good and the replayability is good, I might be cool with that.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

There could be only 3 worlds and I'd be fine as long as it had the same number of levels of amount of overall content as DKCR.

You could be totally right, but again I'm reserving my judgement until after I've played it myself.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I have to figure out the secret to counting how many x are in y space...

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I have to figure out the secret to counting how many x are in y space...

Volume of y/Volume of x, I would imagine.

Edit: Alternatively…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVqWln3Be0

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    The themes of the worlds arent as generic as it sounds. More or less each world is based on a continent, so you got a tropical world, a european world, an african world, an antarctic one, which are filled with the corresponding designs. Overall I gotto say it felt like a welcome change from the usual generic "jungle, fire, ice" theme that has plagued recent nintendo platformers.
    But then I really dont think its a game to discuss much about. Youve seen the new kongs, youve seen the swimming and thats about it. Its just a giant collection of new levels that are mechanically working exactly like DKC Returns and thats honestly all I wanted the game to be.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I do hope there is some joke related to Cranky and the pogo cane jump he has...

"I didn't steal the idea from Scrooge McDuck, He stole the idea from me!."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I do hope there is some joke related to Cranky and the pogo cane jump he has...

"I didn't steal the idea from Scrooge McDuck, He stole the idea from me!."

If they do make a joke/reference, it's not going to be so direct.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    "You don't need a vault of cash to pogo like a champ."

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The whole soundtrack is up on Youtube, by the way.

Including stuff like Stickerbrush Symphony <3

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I am going to Gamestop to preorder this tonight.

So excited you might say I'm going....bananas lol! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I never understood Wii games' insistence on making me press two buttons to start a game.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Also, wow that is a really long load time.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I never understood Wii games' insistence on making me press two buttons to start a game.

Probably part of the safety stuff. Ensure you have a firm and proper grip on the controller by doing a nice solid clench.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Also, wow that is a really long load time.

Yeah that's...not good. I know I got annoyed with the PS3 version of Sonic Generations for similar load times...

Still excited for it, but still...

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    I'm ready to expand dong.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxDAyit9ak

This looks so fucking good. One week to go!

I love how utterly shocked they are at a single banana getting squashed.