Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Contractual Obligations

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think they might have deliberately edited this one to mislead us on what Katie picked up on, so the announcement of the result would be more of a surprise. Ya got me LRR, I thought Lexxy had it.

EDIT: LRR. Also, Ahdok is a silly goose.

ahdok on
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    enderandrew
  • papasmurfpapasmurf Registered User regular
    Have to agree with what other people said about the dinner. Could have been the way it was edited but it seemed a bit impassive. I imagined all of them cozying up around a dinner table at a fancy restaurant with Robert, Mike and Jerry firing out sage advice to the artists about the industry.

JohnnyOmahaseegruemarecksaykayYasmine TeethPuddingpiebubbaholy
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    JayeEmm wrote: »
    Why is Khoo so scary? He really isn't all that scary. (Except sometimes he is).

Ever since I first heard Khoo tackle Mike and Jerry in the Lexxy-Tavis decision, I've associated him with terror. It's probably for the same reason you are scared of the dark as a child, when the cameras went out I imaged a horned demon descending upon Mike and Jerry.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    ahdok wrote: »
    I think they might have deliberately edited this one to mislead us on what Katie picked up on, so the announcement of the result would be more of a surprise. Ya got me 2PP, I thought Lexxy had it.
    2PP isn't involved in strip search as far as I know. I don't think they've been involved in PA:TS since season 1.

I see nobody from 2PP here http://penny-arcade.com/strip-search/about

zerzhul on
    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    emarecksaykay
  • KnytestormeKnytestorme Registered User regular
    "yayyy....katie" followed by the golfclap compared to the other clapping techniques; at some point editing can't continue to be blamed.

Other than that I liked the episode but it would have been nice if there had been a second gotcha in the contract right towards the end when post people would start skimming and see who picked up on it. Also agree that it would be good to see that dinner conversation in full some time, am sure there would be some invaluable information in there for a lot of people. I'm also glad, and impressed, that it was done in a personal manner in someones apartment rather than a restaurant as it shows some modicum of trust/like and also makes sure that conversation isn't interrupted or not heard due to other patrons

Puddingpie
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I was watching for one subtle slipping-in of the phrase "all rights". Which of course means in this context 'here's some money, your IP belongs to me now, now go away and never bother me again'. But then Graham brought it up right at the start in the challenge intro and the actual contract was bad enough as it was. Agreed with above that I'd like to see it put up on the website to see what exactly Khoo put in there; given how important the topic is, it'd be good for viewers- many of whom applied for the show themselves, surely, and eight of whom made it on to the show but didn't make it that far- to see it firsthand and learn from it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Nows7emarecksaykay
  • wonkots42wonkots42 Registered User regular
    "yayyy....katie" followed by the golfclap compared to the other clapping techniques; at some point editing can't continue to be blamed.

Oh for crying out loud...

Erics
  • megnanimousmegnanimous Registered User regular
    My first thought on seeing just the title of this episode: "Aw shit, son. Khoo's going to be stern with them." I was not disappointed, though stern is perhaps not exactly the word.

#TeamTangent!, but Katie continues to be classy and wonderful. Those two being in the final three means, to me, that this show has worked well.

Agent0fN0thingemarecksaykay
  • d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    I thought Lexxy and Katie both did super-well in the challenge.

That said, I'm still hoping to see a Maki/Katie final round.

• enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    From what we saw, Lexxy seemed the most confident and comfortable. She came in and immediately had outlined passages she needed changed and/or removed, and suggested specific changes. While Abby was pretty damned funny (I thought she was all about the D, but apparently not on lunchboxes), I'm not sure she expressed clearly the specific issues with the contact. Though that could all be in the editing.

At the beginning of the episode, Graham suggested all the remaining contestants were nice people. Does he not realize that Lexxy is apparently the root of all evil?

One only needs to read these comment threads to determine that.

jsoftcheckKerensky287UNHchabo
  • YllanesYllanes Registered User regular
    My two favourites going for elimination... But I can't argue with the decision. In fact, given her impressive winning record, I now think the final price should go to Katie. I think she's the most talented all-around, even if I prefer other styles.

• jsoftcheckjsoftcheck Registered User regular
    Absolutely at a loss to understand how Lexxy didn't win this challenge. She was super professional, focused and negotiated from a firm but amicable position. Had they faced "scary Khoo" instead of "goofy Khoo" she seemed the one with the confidence to hold her own (without a lawyer sitting next to her at least).

enderandrewHanClintoEricsSluggerJohnStratoPuddingpieLamp
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    jsoftcheck wrote: »
    Absolutely at a loss to understand how Lexxy didn't win this challenge.

Pretty easy to understand - they only showed about 2 minutes of each artists' 30 minutes.

UNHchaboahdokemarecksaykayYasmine TeethPuddingpie
  • RogjahRogjah Registered User regular
    As some others have mentioned, I thought Maki was going to be the winner of this challenge. Looking back though, it did seem like he ran out of time or something, while everyone else seemed to be finished. I was definitely surprised that Katie was the winner.

With two victories in the Thunderdome and a ton of challenge victories I feel like Katie deserves to win the most. She seems so quiet and shy, but then she dominates. Abby is hilarious, but she seems a little rough around the edges. I'm looking forward to seeing Maki do another elimination comic. His first one was great. I like Lexxy and thought she did really well in this challenge. Her elimination comics have been really good. Coming back and winning the whole thing after being eliminated makes a good underdog story, but I know that some viewers would take issue with it. So anyway, I'm rooting for Katie at this point.

As for Maki vs. Lexxy, this should be a good match-up. I don't know who I'm rooting for. It gets difficult at this point. Whoever wins certainly deserves it. They're both very talented.

TeeSeaJay
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    Yeah they only showed snippets of a 30 minutes talk. What did surprise me is that no-one "walked out". If I got presented with a contract that was full of stuff like that I'd probably thank them for their time and look for other possibilities. If you find stuff like that in a contract you can be sure they will keep trying to slip stuff in. Of course this was meant as training but sometimes you also have to know when to walk out and wait for something better. If you believe in your brand you should steer clear of shady businesses with shady contracts. I would point out the inconsistencies, but then tell them I did not need their services.

emarecksaykay
  • MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    The Party Known As Khoo (herein after referred to as "Robert") , has, from time to time, and in a manner that in no way will diminish the already held licenses of the Parties of the First Part (herein after referred to as "Parties of the First Part"), provided services of an acting nature in said episode ("Episode") meeting or exceeding the previously defined Quality of Service ("QoS") levels.

seegruparmeisanDonoram
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular
    Seriously Robert, just get a white cat and complete the image.
    Though it should probably be mentioned that this is exactly his job, and he's good at it. I don't know how amazing he is at it, but he can wrangle Mike and Jerry while allowing them to come to him with ridiculous ideas and make them happen.

emarecksaykayPuddingpie
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit surprised. Granted, I'm seeing an edited piece, but I was sure Katie had lost this challenge. She came off as very soft and I was sure Khoo was gonna be turned off by that.

Speaking of Robert,.... he is AWESOME! Had me cracking up the whole time he was on camera.

The dinner section (which I'm glad they included) came off as kind of bland. Didn't really find out anything interesting. Seems like they shot it as an after thought (not miked very well). Would have loved to see an intimate sit-down dinner in a restaurant with some really good conversation. Maybe warranting it's own episode. What we got was kind of "blah".

Excited to see the next battle. Going to be classic.
    ......AAAaaand FIGHT!

TinklesemarecksaykayPuddingpie
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Good episode! Enjoyed this one much more than I was expecting. And yeah, there were audio issues, but I'll say this: If PA brings Strip Search back for a second season and fixes all the audio issues next time, then all will be forgiven. Make it happen, folks!

Interesting to see who's facing off in the next episode. It's going to be a frustrating episode for me to watch-- Maki will be eliminated, as Mike connects with Lexxy's work in a way that I just don't, and chose her comic over a much better one in her last elimination round.

GONG-00emarecksaykay
  • ManabouttimeManabouttime Registered User regular
    Can someone link me any information about the event Graham is referring to at the beginning of the episode? When did Mike and Jerry sign away penny arcade?

• SirTwitchSirTwitch Registered User regular
    I think the thing I love about Strip Search the most is that they actually care about the artists who are competing, and today's episode is a fantastic example of that! They could have done another art challenge or something completely different, but having the artists do this challenge is just as much to help them as it is to move the show forward. Making sure they all get exposure to and can identify a bad contract is just more evidence that the Penny Arcade guys really want these artists to succeed. A class act, all around!

emarecksaykayPuddingpiePirusu
    @MANABOUTTIME - I remember reading it about it. It was very early in Penny Arcade's history. I think they sold out to a company that was hosting several web comics. It was a disaster and they managed to buy the strip back.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/07/09/penny-arcade-sells-out

ManabouttimeemarecksaykayPuddingpie
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    papasmurf wrote: »
    Have to agree with what other people said about the dinner. Could have been the way it was edited but it seemed a bit impassive. I imagined all of them cozying up around a dinner table at a fancy restaurant with Robert, Mike and Jerry firing out sage advice to the artists about the industry.

I think many of us had this in mind, I know I did; but I have to reflect back on the personalities of so many of these artists. Many of them, maybe all of them, are quite introverted. Artists generally are shy and awkward sorts, we all recall Erika's heartbreaking monologue in the car, and I was quite shocked that even Tavis mentioned having the same tendencies.

I think what we witnessed here was a rare glimpse into the natural ecology of Artistas Awkwarrendis, not usually seen by outsiders =)

endiku on
    emarecksaykay
  • ManabouttimeManabouttime Registered User regular
    @enderandrew Thankyou!

• oz_in_exileoz_in_exile Registered User regular
    This was a great episode for the practical knowledge that it gave the artists. Contracts have to be one of the more difficult aspect of being a creative person, especially when you're faced with someone who is not artistic and who just wants to make as much money as possible from what you create. I was glad to see that all of them seemed to absorb the contract information and were able to outline what they wanted. Maybe it was the editing on this one, but Lexxy came across as much stronger and direct than Katie, so I was surprised when Katie won. I am really looking forward to a battle royale between Maki and Lexxy in the next elimination, but Mike's final comment in the teaser for the next episode was chilling - "I thought this could have been better executed." Softly said, but it thundered like a real 'dun dun DUUUUUNNNN!' kind of moment. And now...the long slog until Tuesday. :-)

emarecksaykayCuriousPencil
  • LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    After they revealed that the negotiations were with Khoo, I instantly expected a cut "I just shit my pants" from Monica. And then I remembered. We miss you, Monica.

Khoo actually seemed a tad softball, in that if he had been more slimy and less bumbling, he might have been able to successfully push back on some of the less egregious terms. If he had threatened to walk out, it would've been interesting to see how the artists would've responded; they'd probably be just as afraid of bombing the competition as they would be of losing a big contract.

emarecksaykayYasmine TeethPuddingpie
  • accountingwitchaccountingwitch Registered User new member
    Manabouttime: I ran a quick search and found this:

http://www.wired.com/gaming/virtualworlds/magazine/15-09/mf_pennyarcade?currentPage=all

Long story short: the creators are good at comics; Khoo checks that they don't do anything business dumb.

emarecksaykayPuddingpie
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Lavidius wrote: »
    After they revealed that the negotiations were with Khoo, I instantly expected a cut "I just shit my pants" from Monica. And then I remembered. We miss you, Monica.

Khoo actually seemed a tad softball, in that if he had been more slimy and less bumbling, he might have been able to successfully push back on some of the less egregious terms. If he had threatened to walk out, it would've been interesting to see how the artists would've responded; they'd probably be just as afraid of bombing the competition as they would be of losing a big contract.

First off, Khoo's already dealt with the Wrath of Rayquaza once. So there'd be that to consider.

Second, the SE++ thread noted that Khoo's behavior here was actually pretty normal. An attitude of 'oh, shit, I didn't know that phrase could be interpreted like that' provides a lot more cover of deniability and possibility of getting a signature than 'oh, no, I want those cancellation rights and I SHALL HAVE THEM'. Once you take the latter stance, it all just turns into an expensive lawyer fight. Besides, the contract was odious enough that threatening to walk away was really a plausible opening move. It was perfectly valid, I think, to go, right off the bat, 'As written, I'm just prepared to walk away. There's stuff in here that really needs to come out before I'll even consider signing.'

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    enderandrewemarecksaykayPuddingpie
  • SquonchSquonch Registered User new member
    Registered to post this so "hi all!".

Personally, I think Khoo's choice was exactly right. Lexxy did a great job negotiating in an upfront, non-confrontational but firm style, and I think Khoo responded to that. I'd love to be on the opposite side of the table from Lexxy as her style matches mine and we could get good work done (I'm a lawyer). However, Katie's style was much more low-key, more submissive-seeming but still firm. I think if Katie wanted to she could have got her own "gotchas" over on her opposite number, and make him think it was his idea.

Honourable mention goes to Abby, who was just...unnerving. Sometimes you can win big with that approach, but it's a big gamble.

AS an aside, I think Lexxy (was it Lexxy?) missed a good chance when Khoo complained about the time it would take to draw up new licences for new works; I would have offered to take over the drafting of the licenses, giving me control over the wordings.

Puddingpie
  • Agent0fN0thingAgent0fN0thing Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Wow, all eliminations hurt now. As it stands, the remaining artists are like the Fantastic Four. Maki is the creative genius devoted to science. Katie is the quiet, unassuming ingenue with surprising power. Abby is the young, hot-headed superstar. Lexxy is the experienced, ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing. YOU CAN'T SEPARATE THEM.

Agent0fN0thing on
    Kalynar
  • PolynomialsPolynomials Registered User regular
    Robert's suit doesn't fit properly! Arghhh

• HanClintoHanClinto Registered User regular
    Khoo is hilarious. I loved the character he created for this challenge.

"'Gotta' move that tin', as we say in the industry."

"What happens if another lunch box company -- my brother, who runs my #1 competitor -- Khoo's Lunchboxes (he unfortunately got into the business first) -- what if he approaches you and says, 'hey, Katie, I love your shit, let me put it on some tin.'"

I particularly love the whole Khoo's Lunchboxes being his #1 competitor thing. :D

enderandrewNows7zerzhulLavidiusseegrushoeboxjeddyBuchostoleeemarecksaykayJurgStratoMKF36EAdamWillgeekymoxiePuddingpieYllanesfullofgracebubbaholyAnana11Spman2099
  • ReverendwyrmReverendwyrm CaliforniaRegistered User new member
    "Pee Pee"
    "Poo Poo"

What the heck is going on on Robert Khoo's white board, lol¿!

Nows7Puddingpie
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Well, no one else has to pick ever again, anyway. So there's that consolation.

My prediction: They skip the social challenge and do the competitive challenge in the afternoon, the bottom two automatically go to elimination that night, and the show is over until they do a live showdown between the winner of the last two challenges (competitive and elimination). Kind of hoping not, because that means only 3 episodes left, but I think things are gonna go off the wire really quickly now.

PS. OK, please help me out, y'all. How do you vote someone down? Not that I want to, it's just that I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts. Agree and Awesome happen on the forum, Vote Up happens on the strip search page, is Vote Down what happens if someone clicks Flag?? (I expect that Report -> Troll...?)

parmeisan on
    emarecksaykayDerBeppo
  • RABicleRABicle Registered User regular
    What sort of fucking dinner was that? The girls have to sit on the couch like plebs while the Penny Arcade trio lurk about the kitchen until they dismiss them? Fuck that.

CorysaurusemarecksaykayBaelzarthere'saforum?Yasmine TeethDonoramgeekymoxieakzel
    I believe they removed down-votes.

zerzhulakzel
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    parmeisan wrote: »
    Well, no one else has to pick ever again, anyway. So there's that consolation.

My prediction: They skip the social challenge and do the competitive challenge in the afternoon, the bottom two automatically go to elimination that night, and the show is over until they do a live showdown between the winner of the last two challenges (competitive and elimination). Kind of hoping not, because that means only 3 episodes left, but I think things are gonna go off the wire really quickly now.

PS. OK, please help me out, y'all. How do you vote someone down? Not that I want to, it's just that I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts. Agree and Awesome happen on the forum, Vote Up happens on the strip search page, is Vote Down what happens if someone clicks Flag?? (I expect that Report -> Troll...?)

Voting down is only possible through style guide changes, or by being an admin. One of those things is a bad idea and the other has been requested not to be abused my moderators.

• OverloadedOverloaded Registered User regular
    Holy shit that dinner looked so awkward. Why the hell did they do it in an unfurnished apartment? Couldn't get approval to film in a restaurant?

Some kind of insight into what the pitfalls were in the contract for the viewer, either via voiceover or graphics, would have been a huge improvement. Something like a list of the major points you were looking for the artists to catch on the side of the screen that got checked off as they mentioned them in the negotiation. Also some kind of metric on how they handled the negotiation itself - did they have to close the deal? Would throwing the thing in Khoo's face and walking out be a valid choice? I sure as hell wouldn't do business with someone who sent me a contract like that.

emarecksaykayBaelzarthere'saforum?Yasmine TeethSpman2099geekymoxie
  • Nows7Nows7 Registered User regular
    Great episode, though I wish they'd done it sooner so that more of the artists could have gotten first hand experience with it. This seems like a better lesson for them to teach the aspiring cartoonists than ping pong...

Also, I'm pretty sure Maki wins this elimination, or rather that Lexxy loses. Lexxy is actually one of my earliest favorites, but I am pretty sure she doesn't win the competition for one reason: her Kickstarter. She started it right after she got brought back onto the show; if she had won the competition, I think she wouldn't have done a KS or done it right after. Sorry if i'm bringing up old news, I don't check out the comments often.

emarecksaykayPuddingpie
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    Not looking at the comments because I'm in the middle of the Lexxy part, but any Lexxy-haters who don't appreciate her style now are just being dicks. Even if I understood a contract perfectly, I'd hire her to bust someone's ass over the contract for me.

enderandrewBucho