The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Contractual Obligations

• LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    To add to the speculation about whose is being critiqued: remember that last time, they criticized Maki's comic as "overthought" and wanted him to delete those two word balloons. Even regardless of whether or not Maki produces a strip that's "flawed" in some way (I thought his last one was brilliant as was so I clearly have different views than Mike and Jerry), I think they'll be on the lookout and inclined to find fault with it. By contrast, they haven't critiqued either of Lexxy's strips thus far, so I think they'll be expecting a winning strip from her.

So my guess is that the comment applies to Maki and that Lexxy will win it.

Lavidius on
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    loflo wrote: »
    Lamp wrote: »
    Baseless speculation time! So in the "next time..." clip, you see Mike reading a strip holding the paper horizontally and Jerry reading a strip holding the paper vertically. Mike is looking over at Jerry holding the vertical strip when he says "I feel like it could have been executed better."

It looks to me as though Jerry is holding the sheet horizontally when Mike is looking over and remarking that it could have been executed better.

Hmmm it's hard to tell because of the angle and how the shot is cropped, but I went back and watched again and you might be right. Crap. Now I am filled with despair.

Also, I agree that my first thought about the "elephant in the room" comment was that maybe it referred to Lexxy's resurrection.

Lamp on
    miaAusa
  • lofloloflo Registered User regular
    Now I am filled with despair.

Yeeesssss. Gooood. It feeds usssss.

But no, it is difficult to tell. I wouldn't bet real money on it, at least.

These elims are just getting more nail-bitingly tense. It's funny, but i realised the other week that they're the only thing on the internet that make me immediately stop what i'm doing no matter what in order to watch. It's made me just like my mum is with The Bold and the Beautiful. No interruptions! I'm watching my show.

Lamp
  • coltclassiccoltclassic Registered User regular
    yaaaaaaaay my fav doesn't have to go into elimination

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    this elimation is going to be way to hard to watch, i love both maki and lexxy too much! maybe they all can win ; )

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Things I learned this morning. Repeatedly F5-ing StripSearch is pointless. It's Monday.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    miaAusaparmeisanSpman2099MKF36EHanClintoTofystedeth
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Maybe there will be deleted scenes!

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    miaAusa
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    Things I learned this morning. Repeatedly F5-ing StripSearch is pointless. It's Monday.
    Yet another reason to hate Mondays.

• endikuendiku Registered User regular
    Just start hitting the whiskey the second you wake up Monday morning. If you drink hard enough, then before you know it you will be waking up again, only this time it's Tuesday morning to a new episode.

MKF36E
    It's never a good day if you're waking up, hungover, for a Stripsearch.

LexxyTofystedeth
    edited June 2013
    Baseless speculation time Part 2!

Monica has apparently relocated to Seattle this week. This obviously indicates that the winner of Strip Search is ultimately MONICA. There is no refuting this proof.

Lamp on
    HanClinto
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    No, no. Amy's already there. Which means Amy beats Monica in the finals.

And Alex, who's scouting apartments, is special guest referee. He'll say two words and then Amy will hit him with a chair.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Lampahdokshoeboxjeddy
    Oh, and Maki accidentally gave away the fact that he has a job in his blog post today, so all speculation for this elimination challenge is moot.

Really, Maki, you should know better than to let these things slip. ONLY LOSERS HAVE JOBS.

Lamp
    In all seriousness, Maki is still hanging on to that Redraw Ticket. He's faster off the blocks than Lexxy is, but Lexxy's sketch style is clearly sufficient to get by. I don't think he'll save the ticket twice unless he knows on sight that he's got something good. Question is, where's Lexxy's subject weakness and is Maki going to stumble upon it.

• DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    parmeisan wrote: »
    Oh, and Maki accidentally gave away the fact that he has a job in his blog post today, so all speculation for this elimination challenge is moot.

Really, Maki, you should know better than to let these things slip. ONLY LOSERS HAVE JOBS.

And there are people who don't know that the contest doesn't have a winner yet that are going to see this and get really upset. Can we just stop all of the theory-crafting over who won a competition that hasn't actually ended?

If anyone is slow enough to take Parmeisan's comment seriously they deserve to cry themselves to sleep.

Devonin wrote: »

And there are people who don't know that the contest doesn't have a winner yet that are going to see this and get really upset. Can we just stop all of the theory-crafting over who won a competition that hasn't actually ended?

Artist X will win. He's the long-lost brother of oh let's say Mac and he was a brilliant artist but his father forbid him to art because it was too dangerous and one day he entered the Thousand Mile Art up in the Alps in January and he slipped and fell from a high ledge while trying to paint the north face of the Eiger and he was never seen again but some say he continues to art as Artist X like me earlier in this sentence.

Lexxy
  • sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    for the people who think the redraw ticket is of some value, let's try something. i put together a list of 20 generic word topics that i think are similar to the type of topics that we have seen so far. i pulled up an internet random number generator to find which of the 20 would pop out of the trash can for this experiment. the numbers were 16 and 3. the 16th and 3rd words on my list are... drumroll:

weapons & zoo

now, take a moment and decide if changing the topic is in your best interest (and not something that might help lexxy. take no more time that it takes for mike to say "weapons and zoo... interesting." "indeed" "maki, you have the good fortune to hold a redraw ticket, i believe. you can utilize that ticket now, and change either the topic you drew or the one lexxy drew. what would you like to do?"

what do you do?

Given Weapons and Zoo, I don't redraw, because pretty much all of my best comics are informational pun-torrents in list form.

I'm also not terrible at quickly drawing mechanical stuff grafted to animals.

"Weapons" and "Zoo" lend themselves quite easily to many many puns, so these topics would be a wheelhouse for me.

edited June 2013
    Oh shit. Breaking news guys. Khoo just tweeted:

"Anyone in Seattle have access to a theatre for a live Stripsearch Finale Screening on June 18th? :)"

I... I don't want it to end :(

Lamp on
    last time on strip search redraw ticket experiment: sketchity asked if anyone would use the redraw ticket for the randomly drawn topics:

weapons & zoo

...and if they would feel like they could improve their lot in doing so. this time we see what the redraw ticket gave us. again,using a random number generator. first to redraw for "weapons." you would now have "garbage." if you chose to redraw for zoo though, you would have drawn… "singing."

you either redrew for "garbage & zoo" or "weapons & singing."

did you improve your situation? you may have. luck of the draw. did you do so while also not improving lexxy's? you would never know.

the whole idea of mashing together two random topics is that it is hard and takes some time to work things out. and even more time to work them out well. correctly knowing instantly that this one will work out or that one will not is not possible. you may think i got nothing for that topic, but the time you spent thinking about it was so short that you could very well have the inklings of a challenge winner with that same set of topics by the time you got your drawing table chair situated properly.

i think the people who think the ticket is valuable aren't really putting themselves in that setting, with mike talking, and giving themselves that short of a time to weigh a bunch of factors more than half of which are random and out of their control.

• endikuendiku Registered User regular
    I have it on good authority from someone who was in the room during the Elimination that the two terms chosen out of the basket were: Wave-Particle Duality and Schrödinger's Cat.

Regarding the June 18 finale date: I wonder how that could jive with Mike's comment about there being no winner yet when the show started airing. We all assumed they'd film the finale at the end in some way, be it at PAX or othewise. But that's the regular date the episode would have aired if it was pre-filmed. I suppose they might be filming the finale next week. Who knows.

edited June 2013
    I have done eight of these elimination challenges now, and I have yet to make a good joke that I didn't think of in the first 30 seconds. So yeah, I'd still love to have a redraw ticket. It's still statistically better to have one.

I've edited my example to be more thorough and more simple, because it's really confusing me how people keep failing to get this.

Let's assume it's possible to make a snap assessment of approximately how much you like a pair of words. I can do this, so I don't think it's unreasonable. I can certainly choose between "like" and "dislike". I choose to model "how good your topics are for you" with a numerical rating system. A score out of six.

Let's start by taking the artist in a vacuum. If they score their like of the topics out of six, you can model how good their outcome is with a dice roll, or a dice roll with a reroll.

Expectation of a D6 dice roll is 3.5
    Expectation of a D6 with a reroll is 4.25
    If you don't do maths, that's a lot better. Really.

Right. So, considering the artist in a vacuum, it's fairly clear that they can improve your lot for them by some distance. This is really valuable. Considering the artist in a vacuum, chances are above average that they improve their output. This makes them look more awesome on camera, and inevitably drives more visitors to your site, which is what 11 of the contestants are getting out of this show. As this is the vast majority of the cases, this is probably the scenario you should consider to understand the true value of the redraw ticket.

But how does it impact your odds of winning?

Let's start with the worst case scenario

In the worst case scenario, your opponent has exactly the same values as you. In this instance, using the redraw ticket has no impact on your win chances.

Let's look at the best case scenario

In the best case scenario, every word you hate, your opponent loves, and vice versa. From what I gather from reading their webcomics and seeing them on camera, Erika Moen and I have wildly different tastes. In these cases, the one of us who has the redraw ticket removes words that are good for their opponent and replaces them with words that are good for them.

But what, you repeatedly cry, about the scenarios where you redraw and get worse? well sure, in these scenarios, you improve your opponents lot. We already established that you end up better off more often than you end up worse off, so on average you win out. Adding an opponent to the mix who is your perfect opposite just happens to exacerbate that effect.

In reality, you're somewhere between the worse case and best case scenarios. There are the cases where your opponent agrees, and the cases where your opponent disagrees with you. In this scenario, you can split all cases into a mix of the best case and worst case scenarios. The former show an improvement and the latter show no change.

So, overall, getting to pick whether to change something is better than not getting that option. I thought that this was self-evident without actual analysis though. When you're in a competition, it's usually better to have more control than your opponent does.

Yes, it is possible in game theory to construct games where having a choice to make leaves you worse off. However, this competition ain't one of them.

If you want to actually analyse a complex situation, you need to consider Maki vs Katie. In that situation, the person who uses their redraw ticket first is at a disadvantage, so "optimal play" becomes more confusing. Analysis of this is way more complex, but actually interesting. (Spoilers, it's still better to have a redraw ticket.)

ahdok on
    miaAusa
    You may not have the whole thing immediately, but you know instantly what direction, if any, your mind is going when you see the topics. If you like that direction, great. If you draw a blank, or if you don't like the direction you're headed, use the ticket.

As for Khoo's note... that means only five episodes left, and only four episodes to get ourselves from a final three to a winner.

edited June 2013
    @ahdok: that is impressive. i don't suppose one of your artist heros (that you had just met for the first time) was standing five feet in front of you and talking directly to you the whole time you were trying to work out (in 30 seconds) a life-changing joke for this mashed up topic that you had just been presented with?

sketchity on
    @lamp: He said "live". Doesn't that make pretty clear that they are both filming it and airing it on the 18th? It jives perfectly with what we've heard.

I wonder if they are mixing things up at all though? The remaining shows could easily be:
    * Tomorrow, the 4th, elimination challenge, leaving 3 artists.
    * Friday the 7th, Social
    * Tuesday the 11th, Competitive
    * Friday the 14th, Elimination, leaving 2 artists
    * Tuesday the 18th, live Elimination between the final 2

It's also a bit odd that they would risk that any of the 3 artists gives away the fact that they are going to Seattle around that date. Unless all 3 are going, just to see it, and I guess why wouldn't you? Unless you for sure couldn't. But I guess probably they confirmed a date that everybody could make it...

edited June 2013
    @gosling let's say you do "draw a blank" in that first 30 seconds, but you don't have a redraw ticket. are you already a "former cast member" at that point? are you entirely dependent before you sit down on the other person not having an idea? or, is it possible that you could still work out a winning solution?

sketchity on
    It's tougher to be sure. Much of a person's best work comes from sudden inspiration. If it pops into your head, you're more likely to have something good than if you just gut your way through it bit by bit. The longer it takes, the more likely it'll be just a thing you grunt out to get through the day, which won't win you a Thunderdome at this stage of the game.

edited June 2013
    Sketchity,

You keep suggesting scenarios that are totally possible, but occur less often than the converse beneficial scenarios. It's a matter of very simple statistics to figure out the balance of power between the two.

Let's take your question of "if you draw a blank in the first 30 seconds, are you already out?"

The answer should be implicitly obvious (spoilers, it's "no, but you have a less than 50% chance of winning.")

If you've drawn a blank in the first 30 seconds, your opponent might have too. In those cases, no advantage. Your chances of winning are 50-50

If you've drawn a blank in the first 30 seconds, your opponent might not have. In those cases, you're losing out. You might still win, but your chances are worse than 50%

So, overall, your chances are less than 50%. Using a redraw ticket improves those chances (see previous post.)

---

In the case of your other question, "what if Mike and Jerry are shouting at you"?
    1) Distractions and difficult circumstances make it harder to make good objective judgements.
    2) The best uses of these tickets are going to arise from instinctive judgements. Those made from the gut.
    3) You may have noticed I have a tendency to over-analyse things (from the mermaids/ukelele comic, it seems Maki sometimes over analyses things. From the Future/Being Lost comic, Ty sometimes over analyses things. It's like over-analysis is a secret weekness of the geeky artist prestiege class.) If you're the kind of artist who over analyses things, having those distractions would actually prove beneficial to your snap judgement, because you won't be able to overthink it so easily.
    4) Just because it's harder to make a good judgement doesn't mean you're more likely to make a bad judgement than a good judgement.

---

NOTABLE CAVEAT

I assume in all of these posts that the two artists are equally talented in all relevant aspects of comic-making. If one artist is vastly better than the other, then the redraw ticket is irrelevant. Good luck defining "better" in an artistic sense!

ahdok on
    miaAusa
    edited June 2013
    @lamp: He said "live". Doesn't that make pretty clear that they are both filming it and airing it on the 18th? It jives perfectly with what we've heard.

I wonder if they are mixing things up at all though? The remaining shows could easily be:
    * Tomorrow, the 4th, elimination challenge, leaving 3 artists.
    * Friday the 7th, Social
    * Tuesday the 11th, Competitive
    * Friday the 14th, Elimination, leaving 2 artists
    * Tuesday the 18th, live Elimination between the final 2

It's also a bit odd that they would risk that any of the 3 artists gives away the fact that they are going to Seattle around that date. Unless all 3 are going, just to see it, and I guess why wouldn't you? Unless you for sure couldn't. But I guess probably they confirmed a date that everybody could make it...

Hmm. I'm not really sure how to reconcile the word "live" with the fact that it's a "screening." What in the world is a live screening, except maybe a live stream of the competition happening in real time off-site, which sounds implausible and generally like a bad idea for so many reasons.

Edit: On the other hand that may just be a failure of imagination on my part...

Lamp on
    I just realised, I'd totally love to see the finalists go up against each other at Super Art Fight. That would be the best final ever.

edited June 2013
    Hmm. I'm not really sure how to reconcile the word "live" with the fact that it's a "screening." What in the world is a live screening, except maybe a live stream of the competition happening in real time off-site, which sounds implausible and generally like a bad idea for so many reasons.
    Ohhh, you know what it probably means? It probably means that they are filming it at some undisclosed location and streaming it live to the theatre. They will probably put it up on the internets after some editting, however long that takes... I'm guessing half a week or less since they have been putting out two episodes every week.

And if that's the case, I wonder if there will still be an episode on Tuesday? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing that they're going to try to get the edits done as quickly as humanly possible and put out the Finale for everyone sometime Tuesday. Eliminations probably require a lot less editting than other episodes anyway, due to fewer cameras, much less footage to consider, and more of a controlled mic/lighting environment. It might be doable.

EDIT: Ahem. I just realized that this is what you said, and said would be a bad idea. (I thought you meant something else.) It seems like it's probably the case though.

parmeisan on
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I, too, came here because of Khoo's tweet. Only five episodes left?! I'm not ready! I don't want it to end yet... T_T Although... if they film a second season... that means I get to apply again... o_o

We also have to take into account the fact that tomorrow's elimination took place during the morning, which might throw the pattern established thus far into the wind. What if the entire competition gets flipped on its head when there's only three people left? What happens on a day when anything but 1st place guarantees you a seat on the elimination stage?

And more importantly, what snacks must I prepare for that final episode? I feel like I should make it special. Light some candles, call in sick from work... and here's hoping it's extra-long. Maybe they'll even show us the whole elimination from start to finish. Oh! And what if all the contestants are there in the empty seats?

I just realised, I'd totally love to see the finalists go up against each other at Super Art Fight. That would be the best final ever.

Might be too late here, but next season that should absolutely be put on the schedule somewhere. The tag-team variant is a fantastic idea for a challenge.

If PA stream something live to a cinema full of people, and don't also livestream it to the internet, then they're missing a trick! (spoilers: the trick is Maki sawing a lady in half.)

edited June 2013
    @ahdok if you are going to put quotes around things like i said them don't insert words like "shouting" to benefit your argument.

and i am surprised that you like the redraw ticket. you would have a much more distinct advantage if the ticket were not a possibility. you said you have come up with a joke that you were happy with in the first 30 seconds of each challenge so far. anyone who can do that would have a confidence in the their ability to work with anything quickly. i would think you would feel like you would have what you need within a couple minutes of sitting down no matter the topic.

the bottom line is, think about how well you would do with the redraw ticket vs. without it. that puts a value on it. now think about the blinding light and bells of heaven that rang as graham revealed the glorious prize that is the redraw ticket to each winner. maybe that is the problem. maybe it was just oversold. by being mixed in with the wacoms and free convention tables. and by being an object of mysterious power.

-

edit: in rereading my last line there i may have given the impression that i thought there was some value in the thing, and it was just misunderstood. make no mistake, it is worthless.

sketchity on
    edited June 2013
    Ohhh, you know what it probably means? It probably means that they are filming it at some undisclosed location and streaming it live to the theatre. They will probably put it up on the internets after some editting, however long that takes... I'm guessing half a week or less since they have been putting out two episodes every week.

And if that's the case, I wonder if there will still be an episode on Tuesday? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing that they're going to try to get the edits done as quickly as humanly possible and put out the Finale for everyone sometime Tuesday. Eliminations probably require a lot less editting than other episodes anyway, due to fewer cameras, much less footage to consider, and more of a controlled mic/lighting environment. It might be doable.

EDIT: Ahem. I just realized that this is what you said, and said would be a bad idea. (I thought you meant something else.) It seems like it's probably the case though.

I guess it's possible they'll do a private screening of the stream in the theater, and then edit the episode to show it to the rest of us some hours/days later. Sounds like a recipe for the finale to get spoiled for a ton of fans before they have a chance to watch it themselves, though... But on the other hand I have easily gone 2-3 days before I could watch an episode and had no trouble avoiding spoilers. But that was with a concerted effort to avoid reading any Strip Search material and even avoiding Twitter.

Lamp on
    Mm, yeah, I think Adhok's right. They'll probably just livestream to the theatre and to the internets at the same time. Wouldn't be surprised if they also cut it down for bite-sized consumption for those that miss the streaming, though.

I have done eight of these elimination challenges now, and I have yet to make a good joke that I didn't think of in the first 30 seconds.
    sketchity wrote: »
    You said you have come up with a joke that you were happy with in the first 30 seconds of each challenge so far.

These two things. They are not the same.

Elbasunu