As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Babylon 5] Who Are You?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    I've hard that JMS does not think it will happen as the cost to re-do the SFX would be higher than anyone wants to pay to make it happen.
    This sounds like exactly the kind of project that Kickstarter was designed for. Maybe it wouldn't be enough to finance the whole series, but if they could get enough cash to do a season? Might attract the attention of some investors.
    I'm sure I'd chip in enough to get a blu-ray set of remastered B5. And, with the advancements in technology and CGI in the past 20 years, I'm guessing it wouldn't be as much as JMS might be thinking. Especially if they avoided doing extensive redesigns on everything, just because they could.

Granted, there's almost certainly more expenses than just "Redo the SFX" at work here. But, as a wise man once wrote on a card at the end of an episode: Faith Manages.
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I've hard that JMS does not think it will happen as the cost to re-do the SFX would be higher than anyone wants to pay to make it happen.
    Hell, I'd live with the crappy CGI. I'm just annoyed that it's nearly impossible to watch the show these days. After all these years it finally goes online and it's on go90? A wha?

Not sure if it's an option for you, but the DVD set is available on Amazon for 85 bucks. It's a big stack of DVDs and looks pretty good on the nerd shelf.

That's not a bad deal. These days though, I'm down with the instant gratification, so digital or streaming would be more ideal. Still, beggars/choosers, etc.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    It was on Netflix for a while too, I think. Not anymore, sadly.

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    It was on Netflix for a while too, I think. Not anymore, sadly.

Hulu had it at one point as well.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. They put allot of care into the DVD sets. Nice and shiny.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I love my DVD set. I wouldn't give it up for the world.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    This sounds like exactly the kind of project that Kickstarter was designed for. Maybe it wouldn't be enough to finance the whole series, but if they could get enough cash to do a season? Might attract the attention of some investors.
    I'm sure I'd chip in enough to get a blu-ray set of remastered B5. And, with the advancements in technology and CGI in the past 20 years, I'm guessing it wouldn't be as much as JMS might be thinking. Especially if they avoided doing extensive redesigns on everything, just because they could.

Granted, there's almost certainly more expenses than just "Redo the SFX" at work here. But, as a wise man once wrote on a card at the end of an episode: Faith Manages.
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Hell, I'd live with the crappy CGI. I'm just annoyed that it's nearly impossible to watch the show these days. After all these years it finally goes online and it's on go90? A wha?

Not sure if it's an option for you, but the DVD set is available on Amazon for 85 bucks. It's a big stack of DVDs and looks pretty good on the nerd shelf.

I'm sure there are IP rights considerations as well.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I love my DVD set. I wouldn't give it up for the world.

I gave mine up for my dad when he had surgery and was laid up recovering for a few months. Figured a good stack of 30 dvds might keep him occupied.
    Also my Farscape set.
    Finally got it back last weekend.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    When I was collecting Farscape, some of the cases were brittle. They crumpled away in my hands. Found some replacements, fortunately.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The thing with B5 is that there is a ridiculously huge number of CG shots in every episode. Like it's actually kinda bonkers. (JMS basically fleeced the company doing CG for the show because no one involved really understood how bad the contract was for the CG studio)

On top of that, all the original data files with the models and such are gone.

As such, to make the show HD, beyond almost certainly not being able to make it widescreen, you'd need to recreate every single CG shot in the show from scratch.

That is, as far as I've heard, the score on that front.

shryke on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The thing with B5 is that there is a ridiculously huge number of CG shots in every episode. Like it's actually kinda bonkers. (JMS basically fleeced the company doing CG for the show because no one involved really understood how bad the contract was for the CG studio)

As such, to make the show HD, beyond almost certainly not being able to make it widescreen, you'd need to recreate every single CG shot in the show from scratch.

Widescreen is already a thing on the DVDs, since they filmed in both HD/SD. Its just any composite or CGI shot cuts back to SD because they only did special effects in SD. And for those composite shots, I wonder if they kept any of the original greenscreen stuff, which could make upgrading those ones difficult to HD with new CGI. The costs alone probably are equal to an entire new show production, which I don't think anybody will want to pay for.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    With 3d Files that old, it doesn't help as much as you'd think to have the original files because modern software is so many steps removed from the original. Pixar tried it with Toy story at one point and they had to have a daisy chain of different versions in order to get it from the old software to the new. At some point it's less work to just start from scratch.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Some more thoughts on Vir and Mr. Furst. Unlike the last post I quoted, these are all mine.

We all have our favorite scenes, of course, and it's probable that moments with characters being badass are high among them. But I think it important to acknowledge another scene, between him and another actor too soon gone from us, where both of their characters are all but helpless.
    I speak, of course, of the scene where Vir finds himself in a lift with G'Kar, not long after the former's people have gone full fascist on the latter's. G'Kar is stone-faced as Vir offers a stumbling apology, his guilty sympathies, but then the Narn ambassador draws his knife...

"Dead. Dead, dead, dead, dead..."

He doesn't explain the meaning further; he doesn't have to. And you can see how each word, each drop, each life hits Vir like a physical blow. One might suspect that G'Kar, himself, is not entirely untouched by the gesture, the sentiment... but he's right. There can be no forgiveness, no reconciliation. Not yet. Not until the bleeding stops.

(And it pushes Vir, too, to do more than offer sincere but empty words - to take action. Which he does.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    G'kar has to be my favorite fictional character.

Not my favorite character in B5.

Not my favorite sci-fi character.

My favorite fictional character across all media and a large part of that comes from his brilliant portrayal by Katsulas.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. They put allot of care into the DVD sets. Nice and shiny.

I have the DvD's too, i just would prefer to only have to swap out discs every half season instead of every third episode.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Here's a question that's always been at the back of my mind. How did Londo have a crysal-clear vision and knowledge of how he would die? He's always known that he would die co-strangulating a Narn, and I recall he said the day he saw G'Kar he knew it would be him. But where did the vision come from? Do all Centauri have a (important-plot-twist-lacking) vision of how they will die?

sig.gif
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Do all Centauri have a (important-plot-twist-lacking) vision of how they will die?

Yes.

• Options
    XandarXandar Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Do all Centauri have a (important-plot-twist-lacking) vision of how they will die?

Yes.

Found the vorlon!

OsokC8u.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fairly certain that Londo explains at some point that pretty much all Centauri see their eventual death.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Fairly certain that Londo explains at some point that pretty much all Centauri see their eventual death.

I seem to recall Londo explaining all Centauri have a bit of latent psychic ability and knowing thier own death is a common manifestation of it.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »

I seem to recall Londo explaining all Centauri have a bit of latent psychic ability and knowing thier own death is a common manifestation of it.
    I remember thinking when I first saw that scene that that would be a cool as hell mechanic to work into a tabletop RPG.
    As the GM you get a player to describe their character's death, preferably in detail. Then they get some kind of bonus for near fatal situations that don't match their death dream ("This isn't how I DIE!") , or get some different kind of bonus when they do inevitably wind up in that situation even if they don't die (how often did Londo and G'kar meet that didn't wind up with Londo and G'kar choking each other?)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I remember thinking when I first saw that scene that that would be a cool as hell mechanic to work into a tabletop RPG.
    As the GM you get a player to describe their character's death, preferably in detail. Then they get some kind of bonus for near fatal situations that don't match their death dream ("This isn't how I DIE!") , or get some different kind of bonus when they do inevitably wind up in that situation even if they don't die (how often did Londo and G'kar meet that didn't wind up with Londo and G'kar choking each other?)

...right I'm stealing this for my FATE game. >.>

• Options
    It's explained in the very first episode. Literally. It's a plot hook from "Midnight on the Firing Line". With such a great eventual resolution too.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    On the other hand... does it ever come up for literally any other Centaur in the show?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yep. Everything was filmed in widescreen at high enough quality that a HD transfer would look great.

But literally all of the effects shots, be it ship battles, a bit of green screen or just a single ppg shot, only exist in 4:3 standard def.

So you'd be switching from wonderful HD to sub SD cropped for widescreen constantly unless you redid everything.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The show is old enough that the majority of CG, like the ship battles and outside shots, are separated enough from the live-action shots that you could probably replace virtually everything CG with modern CG. And it wouldn't need to be crazy expensive CG because of how the ships were designed, so most of it could just be modernizing the same designs with HD textures and better lighting effects.

Honestly, I would bet real money that there are probably lone individuals out there right now that could single-handedly replace all the CG work of the show. The tools for 3D animation and design are absurdly more powerful than when B5 was made, and there are a lot more people out there now with experience in those areas. Hell, there are people that make game mods that have B5 models that look way better than the originals.

Problem is, no studio would back something like that these days. B5 just doesn't have the brand recognition of something like Star Trek, and even that is getting crapped on pretty well as continues to be warped it into a turd of an action movie franchise. So even though the overhaul probably could be done pretty well on the cheap, every major studio is still way too greedy and cheap to bother.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    The show is old enough that the majority of CG, like the ship battles and outside shots, are separated enough from the live-action shots that you could probably replace virtually everything CG with modern CG. And it wouldn't need to be crazy expensive CG because of how the ships were designed, so most of it could just be modernizing the same designs with HD textures and better lighting effects.

Honestly, I would bet real money that there are probably lone individuals out there right now that could single-handedly replace all the CG work of the show. The tools for 3D animation and design are absurdly more powerful than when B5 was made, and there are a lot more people out there now with experience in those areas. Hell, there are people that make game mods that have B5 models that look way better than the originals.

Problem is, no studio would back something like that these days. B5 just doesn't have the brand recognition of something like Star Trek, and even that is getting crapped on pretty well as continues to be warped it into a turd of an action movie franchise. So even though the overhaul probably could be done pretty well on the cheap, every major studio is still way too greedy and cheap to bother.

There's way more partially CG shots in the show then you think. And a lot more CG in general.

• Options
    I don't think the partial CG shots would be a problem as much as the fact that it sounds like those shots are low-definition and, even if you replace the CG portions (which I think would be entirely doable nowadays, with tracking in animation programs), you'll end up putting HD effects into the middle of low-definition live-action scenes and there's just no way to make those parts HD so the results would be atrocious.

Scenes with things like the Shadows in the middle of live-action bits would probably be okay to leave alone (they're alien, they can look odd) as would PPG shots, but yeah, those partial scenes would be a killer. And the show did use a fair number of those, from internal shots of the station to space views from inside ships and so on.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I suspect

and I'm in no way an expert

that if the project were remotely feasible, some group or another would have started work on it a long time ago.

Just the way things work, yeah? The Phantom Edit; the Hobbit trilogy fan-cut. And games, of course.

I can think of several game remake projects in various states of development off the top of my head.

The thing is? While those projects only rarely bear fruit (plagued as they are by delays and C&D letters) there's evidence they exist.

for example, if this project were viable, there'd be a website somewhere with a half-completed screenshot catalogue and a years-old blog post saying "yeah, I got busy with life" or "yeah, we got a C&D letter." There'd be assets and tools floating around. There'd be splinter ("I don't like your PPG shots, here's mine") and parallel ("you take S01E10, I'll do S01E11") projects.

There's just ... nothing. Which suggests to me that it's not some trivial problem waiting to be solved by better software or more dedicated fans.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Not if the raw original footage you'd need to start a thing (and do it proper-like) is all in the hands of someone who's not giving it out.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    On the other hand... does it ever come up for literally any other Centaur in the show?

There's Signs and Portents, with Lady Ladira predicting Lord Kiro's death. Which is not quite exactly the same situation, but close.
    Tamin wrote: »
    I suspect

that if the project were remotely feasible, some group or another would have started work on it a long time ago.

Just the way things work, yeah? The Phantom Edit; the Hobbit trilogy fan-cut. And games, of course.

I can think of several game remake projects in various states of development off the top of my head.

The thing is? While those projects only rarely bear fruit (plagued as they are by delays and C&D letters) there's evidence they exist.

for example, if this project were viable, there'd be a website somewhere with a half-completed screenshot catalogue and a years-old blog post saying "yeah, I got busy with life" or "yeah, we got a C&D letter." There'd be assets and tools floating around. There'd be splinter ("I don't like your PPG shots, here's mine") and parallel ("you take S01E10, I'll do S01E11") projects.

There's just ... nothing. Which suggests to me that it's not some trivial problem waiting to be solved by better software or more dedicated fans.

Or the B5 fandom is just filled to the brim with purists.

I'm on the camp that it's feasible, just that it won't be easy and chances are you won't please everyone (see: StarCraft HD) on a fanbase that's not that big.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Kind of?

The Centauri noble in Signs and Portents has a relative who predicted he would be killed by shadows. Not that he believed her.

His ship gets blown up by a Shadow vessel.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I suspect

IIRC there were many fans they could have hired who would do that for cheap.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

percyjackson-02.jpg

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I suspect

Those fan group do not have access to the original footage. Replacing the effects in a shot that still has to be cropped to widescreen from 4:3 SD footage is pointless.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

There's a very interesting hint that it might.

Remember towards the end of the series when Londo is plotting to kill the mad Centauri emperor and Vir ends up being the one who kills him? An episode or two later we see Vir talking in his sleep, flailing and saying "No! Please! It wasn't me!" He wakes a few minutes later and mutters that he was just dreaming.

Now, remember that episode where Sheridan is flung into the future, where Centauri Prime has been more or less destroyed? Londo is emperor, but infected by a shadow "keeper". He gets just drunk enough to send his "keeper" to sleep and allow Delenn and Sheridan to escape. Then G'kar emerges from the background and he and Londo talk like old friends.

There's a scene a little later where it's shown that G'kar has killed Londo and himself, obviously a plan they had worked out together. Vir walks in, looking sad but not shocked, and picks up Londo's fallen crown.

Now most people watched that scene and remembered the Prophetess who predicted the Shadows coming, who predicted that both Londo and Vir would be emperors.

Me? I remembered that Centauri only see their deaths in dreams, and in his sleep Vir had been screaming "No! Please! It wasn't me!"

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I suspect

Those fan group do not have access to the original footage. Replacing the effects in a shot that still has to be cropped to widescreen from 4:3 SD footage is pointless.

might be that no one has that footage. Studios tend not to keep original footage that gets sent to effects studios and that studio went under a long time ago.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    I suspect

might be that no one has that footage. Studios tend not to keep original footage that gets sent to effects studios and that studio went under a long time ago.

All of the B5 base FX was lost years ago. They had to make a lot from scratch.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

See, then, I really wish they explored that more in the show. I'd love to have seen what life for a people that can foresee their own death would be like. Someone like Londo who knows he'll die very old should be a lot more risk-taking - after all, you know you'll survive! Whereas someone who knows they'll die at about the age they are now should live a totally terrified existence. Or people would constantly be making changes to their lives to avoid being like they were in their vision ("I saw that I would die wearing long hair and a green shirt, so I get weekly haircuts and never wear green.")

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just started watching (again, I've seen it through at least twice), and seeing both the little things that show foresight, and the lack thereof.

Opening dialogue of The Gathering, by Londo. "Under the leadership of it's final commander, *clip short of Sinclair*". Except we know it gets at least two more permanent commanders.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    MorganV wrote: »
    Just started watching (again, I've seen it through at least twice), and seeing both the little things that show foresight, and the lack thereof.

Opening dialogue of The Gathering, by Londo. "Under the leadership of it's final commander, *clip short of Sinclair*". Except we know it gets at least two more permanent commanders.

If you go and find the original treatment for the show that is floating around the internet you'll find it was a very different show.

What we got was actually the better story. The choices he had to make as time went on, for many different reasons, forged B5 into what it became and we're better for it.

Seidkona on