As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Babylon 5] Who Are You?

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    season 2 and up are just absurdly better then season 1. Though there are setups in Season 1 that pay off later it's almost entirely skip-able.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    There are a few gems in season one. They're just aren't anywhere near as many as in the rest of the show.

I rather enjoyed "Believers" and "Grail" along with some of the plot points in the others.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    In some ways the roles of the Shadows and Vorlons is mirrored by the Earth government. The Vorlons and Shadows started out as nothing more then stewarts to the younger races. Guiding them until they are ready to join the others on the other side of space time, but one cycle after another they became more and more aggressive with their roles.

Just like Sheridan finds out too late that his government has become a totalitarian state, Loren finds that Shadows and Vorlons have become genocidal warmongers, except that Loren has no allies since the younger races foolishly sided with either the Shadows or Vorlons in their endless proxy war.

Of course. He wasn't going to get many opportunities to find allies in Za'Ha'Dum. Sheridan only found him by accident IIRC.

• Options
    In some ways the roles of the Shadows and Vorlons is mirrored by the Earth government. The Vorlons and Shadows started out as nothing more then stewarts to the younger races. Guiding them until they are ready to join the others on the other side of space time, but one cycle after another they became more and more aggressive with their roles.

Just like Sheridan finds out too late that his government has become a totalitarian state, Loren finds that Shadows and Vorlons have become genocidal warmongers, except that Loren has no allies since the younger races foolishly sided with either the Shadows or Vorlons in their endless proxy war.

Of course. He wasn't going to get many opportunities to find allies in Za'Ha'Dum. Sheridan only found him by accident IIRC.

Sheridan found him because Kosh made sure he did.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Well, once he was on Za'Ha'Dum there was some prompting by Kosh.

• Options
    edited June 2013

I thought I already explained this to you. He can be on B5 handing out Shadow Polaroids all day long, and no one's going to believe him until a shadow or vorlon fleet turns up and blows the place to hell.

And I doubt even you can come up with a reason for why any of the younger races would be crazy enough to go against the Vorlons.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Would you trust a single member of a race you can't identify and who has no government to back him up if he showed up spouting on about First Ones and his "children" getting too big for their britches?

No. You'd think he was a grifter from an unknown race who's trying to scam you.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    There are a few gems in season one. They're just aren't anywhere near as many as in the rest of the show.

I rather enjoyed "Believers" and "Grail" along with some of the plot points in the others.
    Believers was a great episode. One of those classic gut-punches that makes you realize that JMS wasn't kidding when he said he didn't like kids in sci-fi.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    JMS has a major chip on his shoulder vis a vis Star Trek and it seems at times he went out of his way especially in season one to distance himself from it as far as humanly possible while still remaining in the same genre. I never realized how deep it went until I started reading his episode by episode thoughts on that wonderful and extremely old school website somone linked a few pages back.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    [qu
    see317 wrote: »

Believers was a great episode. One of those classic gut-punches that makes you realize that JMS wasn't kidding when he said he didn't like kids in sci-fi.
    that was a pretty damn good one, but more or less done better in "Confessions and Lamentations".

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Well Paramount did greenlight DS9 after they had already rejected it a few years before. Surprisingly(not) they chose to do this after B5 was greenlit.

It does seem a bit fishy and is the main reason I've never watched DS9 to this day.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Well Paramount did greenlight DS9 after that had already rejected it a few years before. Surprisingly(not) they chose to do this after B5 was greenlit.

It does seem a bit fishy and is the main reason I've never watched DS9 to this day.

DS9 is an extremely good show, when it's good

Probably the second-best Trek behind TNG

• Options
    Well Paramount did greenlight DS9 after that had already rejected it a few years before. Surprisingly(not) they chose to do this after B5 was greenlit.

DS9 is an extremely good show, when it's good

Probably the second-best Trek behind TNG

Fandom grudges die hard.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, DS9 is worth checking out. The overall quality isn't quite as consistently high, but it's still a pretty good show.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    It's on Netflix so I'll give it a go sometime in the near future. I've had a long time let go of the petty stuff and it's more about inertia now.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Probably the only show with a worse Season 1 then B5.

But it picks up steam rather fast after that.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Man what? DS9 probably has the best first season of any of the Star Treks. Not great, but generally decent enough with a few gems and a few truly awful episodes.

• Options
    I think you may have skipped 90% of the episodes.
    Need I remind you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eseTp3aqUfg
    Rumpelstiltskin.jpg
    it's like Neelix had a love child with the leprechaun.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    No, it's just that I remember S1 of every other Star Trek. "Code of Honor"? Everything Wesley or Voyager or Enterprise?

DS9 is clearing a low bar, but they are still clearing it.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    B5 can't throw stones too much in the Season one department. I mean we did get such great episodes as "TKO" :p

Edit: Or "Infection"

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Also If I was going to scare someone with season one DS9 (which I consider much better than B5's rough first season) I'd go with Move Along Home.

If Wishes Were Horses is at least interesting and well acted.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Season one TNG has Zulu Nation and reverse sexism world and raunchy sex virus episode.
    Also stupid 'Wesley broke a garden he must die because these people wanna bang'.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    [qu

that was a pretty damn good one, but more or less done better in "Confessions and Lamentations".

This is such an amazing episode about failure and the cost of secrets. This threads going to spur a re-watching of the series for me I think.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    As always with Star Trek, the quality takes an uptick after the beard goes on in DS9.

I guess the equivalent in B5 is when Delenn puts her hair on.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    As always with Star Trek, the quality takes an uptick after the beard goes on in DS9.

I guess the equivalent in B5 is when Delenn puts her hair on.

Maybe Kosh was the only (energy) bearded Vorlon and that explains his awesomeness compared to his stilted kin?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    "But Ender, nobody ever put a beard on in Voyager or Enterprise."

"Exactly."

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    Season one TNG has Zulu Nation and reverse sexism world and raunchy sex virus episode.
    Also stupid 'Wesley broke a garden he must die because these people wanna bang'.

That episode is actually pretty good. Like, I'm serious, watch the whole thing it does a really good job with the situation and talks about the problems of arbitrary and brutal justice.

• Options
    boogedybooboogedyboo Registered User regular
    [qu

This is such an amazing episode about failure and the cost of secrets. This threads going to spur a re-watching of the series for me I think.

"Confessions and Lamentations" was one of the key episodes that made me fall in love with B5 as a series. When I watched it the first time, young me was thinking "JMS can't seriously kill off the whole Markab race?", "that's just not done in Scifi television", "I'm sure Dr. Franklin and the Markab doc will come up with a cure", and by the end it was "holy crap, a race just went extinct".

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    For me it was the end of the original Pilot movie: The Gathering.

Sinclair talking about the Battle of the Line:

Jeffrey Sinclair: The sky was full of stars, and every star an exploding ship. One of ours.

Mankind fighting aliens and losing? Getting their asses kicked and the last ditch effort to save the day failed? That was new. I was hooked.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    For me it was the end of the original Pilot movie: The Gathering.

Sinclair talking about the Battle of the Line:

Jeffrey Sinclair: The sky was full of stars, and every star an exploding ship. One of ours.

Mankind fighting aliens and losing? Getting their asses kicked and the last ditch effort to save the day failed? That was new. I was hooked.

Poor O'Hare. When he was on, he delivered some great scenes. That's still one of my favourite. That line is just amazing.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    [qu

I'm real close to this too, but there's no streaming option anywhere. I have it on disc, but no drive in the computer. Blech. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    [qu

I'm real close to this too, but there's no streaming option anywhere. I have it on disc, but no drive in the computer. Blech. :P

I am sort of upset about ti not being on streaming anywhere also. I'm a bit lucky I got a cheap portable DVD player from work as a gift a few years ago so that's how I'll end up watching most of it probably.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I always wondered in what precise sense Lorien is "the first".

• Options
    edited June 2013
    PLA wrote: »

He was the first of his race to gain sentience and his race was before the Shadows and the Vorlons.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

He was the first of his race to gain sentience and his race was before the the Shadows and the Vorlons.
    Exactly. His race was the first race to gain sentience, and he was the first of his race to gain sentience. He was literally the first sentient being in the galaxy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

That episode is actually pretty good. Like, I'm serious, watch the whole thing it does a really good job with the situation and talks about the problems of arbitrary and brutal justice.

I take issue with the fact that it concludes summary execution for tripping would lead to a more peaceful society

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I take issue with the fact that it concludes summary execution for tripping would lead to a more peaceful society

and now the exact opposite is a movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5M0ibl835E

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

He was the first of his race to gain sentience and his race was before the the Shadows and the Vorlons.
    Exactly. His race was the first race to gain sentience, and he was the first of his race to gain sentience. He was literally the first sentient being in the galaxy.

To those not familiar with the series, I feel it's important to point out his race is naturally immortal. It is simply staggering how old he is.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

To those not familiar with the series, I feel it's important to point out his race is naturally immortal. It is simply staggering how old he is.

Not all of his race. As new generations were born they started to lose their immortality (the new generations and not the older ones).

Seidkona on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Not all of his race. As new generations were born they started to lose their immortality (the new generations and not the older ones).

If I remember correctly, the reason for that was that the Universe decided that immortality was boring.