As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Scrolls] A trading based miniatures game

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I actually do want this, but lack a method of payment until next week. Alas.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Eh, I was strongly considering buying it, but store won't even load. Oh well.\

I still think $20 is kind of high...

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Looks like something I'd enjoy. I'll keep check on its progress.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    Hearthstone is more like MT:G, right? You just put down cards and stuff. Scrolls tactical hexmap should make for deeper combat I would think.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, Hearthstone is more traditional CCG.

There's also Duel of Champions (I have a thread in G&T), where you have four "lanes" to play cards in, and cards can (barring special rules) only attack the opposite enemy lane. Interesting spin on CCGs.

Oh, and it's F2P, and I rather like it (though not enough to spend money on it), so feel free to give it a shot.

• Options
    Is it multi player only?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DoC? It has a solo campaign (the tutorial starts with that and goes harder and harder).

Also, check the OP in G&T for some bonus promo codes, and don't spend any of the seals (their funbucks) you get from the solo campaign until you can buy one of the 120-card packs.

• Options
    Julien MarcheJulien Marche Registered User regular
    Finn_Silverton Is my name in game. I have been playing Growth and having a blast. I basically throw a shit ton of wolves against walls and rabbits and have a good time. I will be around if anyone wants to play. Cheers!

I like apple dumplings.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I played a few games last night against the AI. The mechanics are pretty solid and the gameplay feels unique. This is kind of the game I always wanted, a TCG mixed with a minis-game. It does feel a bit slow though, like the games are just going on too long. That might be a result of me having picked Energy as my starting deck. Definitely going to be spending a lot of time on this one.

Also, $20 is probably all you're going to have to spend on this game. It's really easy to accumulate gold to buy cards, paying cash just saves you a couple of matches.

• Options
    xyceresxyceres Registered User regular
    Very interesting game so far. Played the first 3-4 trials with the growth precon and 3 challenges against a ccg newbie tried to explain your standard competitive mindset of looking at what your losing compared to the opponent and such. Don't think they understood what I was trying to say but they did get significantly better across the 3 matches and started to use some more interesting strats.

I'm xyceres in game by the way. I think I'll chill in a custom channel called penny arcade in case someone logs in

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Yea, I'll start chilling in a PA channel as well. Played quite a bit of this so far, looking for a good group of people to trade with

• Options
    Still trying to get the store to load. Told Notch and a bunch of other Mojang critters on Twitter that the JSON they load gives an Error 403. Welp.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    It looks like they took the battle phase from King's Bounty.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So I'm not sure if the chat channels stay after they are empty. I noticed when people go into a match they disappear from the channel, so if it looks empty it might not be.

Game is super fun. Totally worth $20.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It looks like they took the battle phase from countless turn based tactical games that precede it and King's Bounty.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    It looks like they took the battle phase from countless turn based tactical games that precede it and King's Bounty.

Its not like King's Bounty, you don't order units to attack. They all have a turn counter that counts down, when it reaches zero that unit will attack whatever is in front of it on the enemies side with some exceptions (cards with abilities, or specific ranged abilities, etc).

Turn based tactic games you specifically tell units to attack other things.

There is an extra layer of depth and strategy in this that is hard to make a good comparison. It feels a lot more like MTG, but then again its a lot different. You still have an attack and block phase... but its done automatically for attacks with the turn timers on each unit. Blocking is there, but its based on how you position your own units.

The countdown timers also give for more thinking ahead than a typical game of MTG. Since you can see which of their units can attack the next turn (without spells/haste being used) then it makes thinking ahead really important and fun.

My point is, there is a lot more going on here than just a mish-mash of MTG and a tactics RPG. Its still a mish-mash of them, but it synergizes so perfectly with the two ideas. The concepts from both sides feel like they belong, not like one it just tacked on to the other and vice versa.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My point was simply that it's silly to attribute that tiled, turn based combat to King's Bounty when turn based strategy games (I said tactical before, but I meant to say strategy) have been using that format for decades.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    My point was simply that it's silly to attribute that tiled, turn based combat to King's Bounty when turn based strategy games (I said tactical before, but I meant to say strategy) have been using that format for decades.

Oh, your post was quoting someone else... so I probably didn't know what you meant.

I'm just trying to share what the game is like for people not sure about it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    It's a good game for fun people.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Julien MarcheJulien Marche Registered User regular
    It's a fun game for good people.

I like apple dumplings.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It's not a good, fun game for poor people, though.

godmode on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular

I know it a well used mechanic, I using a specific example from recent memory. I was hoping to draw out information to differentiate the game.

It looks like an interesting game, but I'll wait until there's a complete option. I'm also busy with Gunpoint and Remember Me at the moment anyway.

• Options
    Poor people is an oxymoron.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    It's not a good, fun game for poor people, though.

I dunno about that. I mean, it depends on how you define "poor" in this case.

Too poor to buy any games? Yeah, sorry. You're right about this one.

But beyond that level, it's a great CCG for "poor" people. Pretty much any other CCG will effectively require you to spend LOTS of cash to stay competitive. Scrolls looks to be well-designed so paying doesn't give nearly as much advantage. Heck, even the six "special" cards each week that you can buy with cash can also be bought with gold.

In that respect, given that you only need invest $20 once and can remain just as competitive as those who spend as much money as possible on their decks, it's a great fun game for poor people.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was only lamenting that I don't have $20 to buy in :P

• Options
    Plus, if you do spend cash on it for more decks and cards, from what I hear the prices are pretty decent as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    The other preconstructed decks are about 4 dollars each. You get one to start.

• Options
    If you ever bought a pre-con deck in magic, that'll be about the same cost as everything you can buy in scrolls combined

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Think I may just buy the other two pre-con decks with Shards, then sink my gold into randoms.

• Options
    Jaysis, the Growth starter sucks.

• Options
    I miss my alpha deck...

• Options
    Man. Order's 4/3/2 cost 1 Crossbowman feels kinda... underpriced.

• Options
    It's the 3 cooldown that guts the crossbowman. Its a lot of time for the other guy to react, get something down or use nearly any sort of direct damage to blow 'em up. A low cooldown is key for a good creature

• Options
    Fighting the world's slowest thinker. He spends an average of 40 seconds doing nothing at all before his first action.

• Options
    Gumpy wrote: »
    It's the 3 cooldown that guts the crossbowman. Its a lot of time for the other guy to react, get something down or use nearly any sort of direct damage to blow 'em up. A low cooldown is key for a good creature

It's still hella good with 4 attack for 1 cost and just one more cooldown.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Big issue is that if you get it past turn 6 or 7, then you're going to hate the wait before it fires off a shot. If you like it, invest in some of the order cooldown reduction spells to fire off cheeky shots people don't expect

• Options
    God, people are slooooow. Feels like there's a horde of MC fans that have never played anything like this before.

• Options
    Gumpy traded me some kinfolk braves and veterans and now I am the aggro master.

• Options
    I'm claiming dibs on any energy burn spells people got going. Ends of reasons and that ilk

• Options
    xyceresxyceres Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I actually had this played on me last night wasn't scary at all (I was winning at the time so it could have been the problem) I just used a binding enchantment to take it's move away and locked it into the top idol slot and ignored it. I don't think it even managed to kill the idol cause 6 turns (he put a buff on it to make it 5 strength) is just soooo long unless your really far ahead.
    It's like that growth 6/3/1 card I honestly don't think either is worth playing most of the time.