As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stolen Phone

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
Some dude just snatched my phone right out of my hands and ran off. Can anyone with experience in these matters provide a quick run down of what I should do? I did call my provider and had it deactivated. Going to file a police report pretty quick. I'm sure there are additional things I should do, but won't think of. Any help is appreciated!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If you have GMail, sign into a trusted PC and scroll down to the bottom of your Inbox. Click on Details, then sign out of all sessions. Change any other passwords you had linked to that phone.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Was it an iphone? Get on icloud and lock that shit before he locks your other devices out.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Sorry. I should have mentioned it was an Android phone. Anything special I need to do with regards to Google accounts to several all ties to that phone?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    Just think of the apps you've had installed and change passwords to any of those with their web counterparts (ie, Gmail, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc). If you get another Android there are apps that allow you to geo-locate your phone, wipe it remotely and other neat things.

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Not sure how or if you can contact this company to look out for it but many reports of thieves cashing in here...http://www.ecoatm.com/ (if you have a local machine)

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Not that it helps you much now but if you get this one back or replace it with another Android I'd recommend downloading Lookout Security and Antivirus, it scans all apps you download, makes backups, and if your phone is lost or stolen you can sign in on their web interface and use it to locate your phone and I believe shut it off remotely.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Change your passwords.

If you're using google's 2 factor auth, sign in and revoke access for everything related to your phone. Possibly everything in case the guy tries to use your phone/hack your google shit. I think if you're using google wallet there should be a way to revoke access for that as well.

If you're not on 2 factor auth, get on that shit asap.

If you're still under warranty with whatever entity you got the phone from, report it and maybe get a new one.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    If you're not on 2 factor auth, get on that shit asap.

A million times this.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    How does 2 factor auth work? Does that mean I will have to be sent a PIN to my cell phone every time I want to check my email?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • throwawayjackhunterthrowawayjackhunter Registered User regular
    How does 2 factor auth work? Does that mean I will have to be sent a PIN to my cell phone every time I want to check my email?

Nah, just if you want to change your password I think. Or recover it... Either both of those, or just the recover...

• illigillig Registered User regular
    something i just saw on Lifehacker - enabling tracking/disabling software on Android AFTER the phone is lost/stolen:

http://lifehacker.com/android-lost-controls-your-stolen-phone-even-after-you-511903024

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

You can probably find an online resource for this - it's been around long enough that most if not all of your questions can be answered by looking at the 2-factor auth FAQ on google, or googling around elsewhere. But this is what I know:

2-factor auth generally means that every time you login to a google service from a web browser, yes, a code gets sent to your phone which you need to enter. However, you can "verify" that computer so that you don't have to enter it every time you open a browser. Verification is just a checkbox that shows up on the screen where you enter the PIN that was sent to you.

Enable 2-factor auth also allows you to use application-specific passwords, which you can use if a service/website doesn't support 2-factor auth. Examples are signing into your phone when you first activate it, or the Mail app on the iphone/ipad. This is still better than nothing, because you are not using your _actual_ password and you can revoke access remotely from a trusted (verified) computer.

Google also allows you to print a page of pre-approved codes and passwords in case you don't have access to the 'net and such. Just don't be dumb about leaving it around, like keeping it in the case to your phone or something.

Okay. I'm all set up on Google's 2 factor auth. This is pretty goddamn great, now that I understand how it works. Why doesn't everybody do this? Thanks for the info!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    there are some Android apps which may help you track down your old phone. may.

AndroidLost.com is a good one. iirc it allows you to remotely install the AndroidLost user app to your phone. however, that's a long shot. Plan B is another one.

your mileage may vary, but it's worth a shot.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Make sure you change all of your passwords (if you're like most people and use the same passwords all of the time), not just the Google stuff. Dude could very easily try to steal your identity with the info on your phone (he probably won;t, and is probably just a two-bit asshole looking to resell it for cash, but Murphy's Law being what it is it's best to play it safe).

I'm sorry you were robbed. Been there (but my phone at the time sucked anyway) :/

With Love and Courage