Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #9

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Elimination #9

Which Artist will make it to the final three after facing the elimination stage?

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    its up! this will be one to watch : D

• CaanonWeathersCaanonWeathers Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    =) TY!!!!!!

CaanonWeathers on
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    You know, for all the technical issues we've had with Jerry's mike over the season, we can at least take comfort in the fact that we haven't seen any issues with Mike's "Jerry".

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    Spman2099
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Lexxy hitting Mike with the truth... Gotta make Mike laugh to win. I wonder why she didn't bother trying to make Mike laugh though.
    Maki had the better comic, but this wasn't his best work.
    The Lexxy haters will rejoice (rollseyes), but I'm looking forward to seeing The Cloud Factory.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    JermsSpman2099KnightmareKoopahTroopahA Concerned CitizenshoeboxjeddyXeavn
  • lympilympi Not A Doctor PortlandRegistered User regular
    "He says he loves me."

"Spoilers: IT MEANS NOTHING, IT MEANS NOTHING."

Awesome.

JermsHeyThereElizaStratoemarecksaykaySpman2099mml007Angry_SamoanHanClintoTrunkerszerzhulFyndirWeaselsoupElbasunufullofgraceKoopahTroopahA Concerned CitizenenderandrewTofystedethWeedLordVegetashoeboxjeddyXeavnKalynar
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    I also am looking forward to the Cloud Factory. I'm glad Maki won, because I think he's awesome, and I'm glad we already know that Lexxy will be able to tell her story like she wanted.

Spman2099Anana11
  • LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    10:45-10:55 is where it's at. A rare glimpse behind the Beardwall. Never change, Maki.

And great strip; even though the joke was semi-spoiled by the shots of it in draft form, I still chuckled. Well done.

No shots of the triumphant return to the house! What could be going on there? Ahhhhhh tension...

emarecksaykayHanClinto
  • Yasmine TeethYasmine Teeth Registered User regular
    Weaselsoup wrote: »
    I'm glad we already know that Lexxy will be able to tell her story like she wanted.

We know she will have the money to do so. Whether or not she will actually be able to tell the story has yet to be proven.

emarecksaykay
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    That turned out about how I expected.

Happy to see the Beardwall return to the house :D

HeyThereElizaemarecksaykay
  • ryanestradaryanestrada Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    Comics don't need to have a joke, but it is best for them to complete a thought. Or at least lead to another page that completes that thought.

ryanestrada on
    emarecksaykayPsykoma
  • clovers&inkclovers&ink Registered User new member
    I am an addict. Does anyone know when the next season starts filming and will they have more than just illustrators? Mike and Jerry are a combined force... why isn't there also writers competing? I can see some seriously interesting dynamics of having writers and illustrators having to work together to make a comic as opposed to just illustrators.

emarecksaykayeldercoretapeslingerA Concerned Citizen
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    fine, substitute 'will have the opportunity to' for be able to' then

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    oh man this was hard to watch, I really wanted lexxy to win but now i'm rather sad how will i go on now that she's off the show, maybe she'll come back a 3rd time, it's intsreting now its just maki and abby and katie, it will be intresting to see who it comes down too I really loved lexxys comic, i like how it was medevil and with candy

• T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    A toughie, since Lexxy's art was quite impressive, but the words "high concept" have come to be the death knell of an elimination strip. Warmed up to Maki's joke after a bit of time with it, could have been executed a bit better but I think the right decision was made.

PSN: P-bass [USF4, SF3:3s, MVC3]
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Well, "leave them with a smile" is what they say, and Lexxy for sure has the biggest, brightest smile ever seen in the shame hole. Good luck with The Cloud Factory. Really looking forward to seeing it.

And Maki; your scarf made me feel things I've never felt before... :D

Spman2099fullofgraceparmeisanMKF36E
  • HeyThereElizaHeyThereEliza Registered User regular
    Hmm... maybe there is a God. Lexxy's gone now. Love ya, Maki but go Team Kabby!

emarecksaykay
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    Lexxy had a great run. Good job Lexxy!

Spman2099HanClintoAngry_SamoanSassoriA Concerned Citizenenderandrew
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    Yay Maki!

So... based on what Lexxy said in the show, can we now finally agree that her kickstarter was a sign she was going to lose?

I for one could not be happier that this will probably be the last episode we have to fight over Lexxy on.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    Spman2099Cambiata
    Weaselsoup wrote: »
    I'm glad we already know that Lexxy will be able to tell her story like she wanted.

We know she will have the money to do so. Whether or not she will actually be able to tell the story has yet to be proven.

Well, she put together three high concept pieces in the elimination challenges when she didn't know the idea until a few minutes beforehand. And she got over ten times more than she was asking for to get The Cloud Factory up and running. I'm pretty sure she has the ideas and stories that she wants to tell, and now she will have the time/opportunity to do so.

A Concerned Citizen
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well, Lexxy's comic wasn't super strong. Still, I think it was considerably better than Maki's. However, you know how these things are; super subjective. Also, I like Maki, so it doesn't hurt that he won. Lastly, it is nice that all those people who talked about how Penny Arcade "conspired" to have Lexxy win this competition have been definitively proven wrong and silly.

Spman2099 on
    JermsA Concerned CitizenXeavnCambiata
    T-bolt wrote: »
    A toughie, since Lexxy's art was quite impressive, but the words "high concept" have come to be the death knell of an elimination strip. Warmed up to Maki's joke after a bit of time with it, could have been executed a bit better but I think the right decision was made.

Yeah, no kidding. Has a "high concept" piece even won an elimination challenge? I really don't remember. It's making me wonder how much Jerry has to prod Mike in order to do the Automata, Twisp & Catsby or Lookouts strips.

Spman2099emarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I thought it could have gone either way. Like Jerry said, neither of them were ultra-great.

Maki's irrationally bugged me with its bugged content, though, because it's the sinners who specifically *aren't* raptured. For less nitpicky people, I could see how his could have edged her out.

While Maki's had a kind of weak joke, Lexxy's was a comical situation but without a specific punchline (and some *fantastic* artwork, probably the best so far). I don't see hers as less funny, just both as somewhat funny in different ways. Depending on the mood, hers could have struck a funny bone but that didn't happen to have happened here. It's a tough call (and tough subject to make funny), and the judges brought up some really good points both ways.

Love ya, Lexxy, and sad to see you go. Like they said, you're going to be successful regardless of any winner's prize they could give you. But being on the show itself seems to be quite the prize already.

foo on
    Spman2099Angry_SamoanmiaAusaKnightmareA Concerned CitizenMKF36EPuddingpie
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yesss! Way to go, Maki!

Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
    emarecksaykay
  • DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    So, Maki managed to knock out The Girl Who Lived. Should make him seem like more of a force to be reckoned with when he makes it back to the house.

Time off: done. Hotel: done Travel: done. Badges: DONE.
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    emarecksaykay
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Hmm... maybe there is a God. Lexxy's gone now. Love ya, Maki but go Team Kabby!

You're welcome.

Angry_SamoanRampachsTornakeshKnightmareSpman2099JurgSassoriElbasunuFalxmageormikeA Concerned CitizenEricsAnana11TofystedethedgeofbladeRuby RhodGoose!WeedLordVegetahottopicrejectMKF36ERaslinCambiatageekymoxieDark Raven XPikaPuff
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy Registered User regular
    For me, a great webcomic has an immediate punchline to make me laugh, and if there is extra subtext that I only realize later, it's a bonus. If it only had the subtext, I tend to not be impressed.

How that relates to Strip Search is that Lexxy's comic doesn't have that surface-level joke. If Maki's joke had been funny, I would have preferred his comic. Therefore, since the joke was weak, a lame joke is the only thing that is trumped by subtext. That is the only reason why I think Lexxy's comic was better in this instance.

Only my own personal opinion, to each his own, blah blah etc.

A Concerned Citizen
    lympi wrote: »
    "He says he loves me."

"Spoilers: IT MEANS NOTHING, IT MEANS NOTHING."

Awesome.

Yeah, that part was good. I'm also sure that admission broke more than a few hearts among the fan base.

emarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
  • superjermssuperjerms Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I've been assuming that contestants were nevet told that serious scripts will lose, other than the common sense "know your audience." The conversation there made it seem like it had actually been formally discussed. Was that instruction ever given? Or did it just come up in conversation with Lexxy (e.g. someone telling her that she lost to Tavis because the strip was "wonderful" instead of funny)?

At some point, were artists actually instructed that they'd be judged on the humor?

I've been TeamTangent since day one, but still gotta say that Lexxy's comic was pretty great in its own way. She doesn't really excel at knee-slappers, but the concepts were great considering the time limit and her normal pace.

The other thing that shouldn't be understated is just how perilous it was to have to do religion. You just can't win, someone will disagree no matter what, and haters gonna hate in especially shrill fashion. Either artist could damaged their "brand" pretty badly here, and it'd totally suck to have to do something quickly and under pressure.

They both did a really good job, keeping with how they want to be seen. Probably much bigger threat for Lexxy, seeing as how she wants to avoid setting anyone off. I expect that Maki's going to get better acquainted with Mike's three kinds of haters, though. I'm sure he's gotten hate mail before, but I'd expect that the reverberation effect will be pretty sizable, having the strip live on PA.

BEARD WALL, WE ARE A GO!

superjerms on
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    Continuing off of @MontyRohde's earlier post:

YJE50mZ.png

LexxyHanClintoRampachsPeter EbelSpman2099zerzhulTomantaWarribsTofystedethGoose!KoopahTroopahWeedLordVegetashoeboxjeddyhottopicrejectMontyRohdeCambiatageekymoxie
  • RampachsRampachs Registered User regular
    I found the idea of Lexxy's tough candy templars funny, but when I got to the end I was waiting for the joke. It felt like there could have been something in the last panel, but ultimately the pretty art wasn't enough.

I'm still her fan, and can't wait for my book to come and her webcomic to start.

jsoftchecktapeslingerenderandrew
  • KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Hearing Lexxy say how this inspired her to really work on her own stuff made me happy. I'm really looking forward to The Cloud Factory- go Team Lexxy!

Spman2099ElbasunujsoftcheckA Concerned CitizenCambiata
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    superjerms wrote: »
    I've been assuming that contestants were nevet told that serious scripts will lose, other than the common sense "know your audience." The conversation there made it seem like it had actually been formally discussed. Was that instruction ever given? Or did it just come up in conversation with Lexxy (e.g. someone telling her that she lost to Tavis because the strip was "wonderful" instead of funny)?

At some point, were artists actually instructed that they'd be judged on the humor?

The only instructions were "make a comic out of these two words in 90 minutes," it just happened to come up in conversation this time around <:

jsoftcheckA Concerned Citizen
    edited June 2013
    Even though I officially converted to Team Tangent last week, because there really must be Abby cameos in PATV for the next year and she's got the best webcomic anyway, I was definitely rooting for Maki in this one, and he remains a favorite. I was fully expecting him to win, though.

Since this is the last time we get to fight about Lexxy, let's put it all out there.

She has never completed a comic strip in her life, as far as I can tell. Whatever you might say about her now three elimination strips, when compared to her concept art for Cloud Factory, you cannot honestly claim she was finished with her strips. She would have worked possibly HOURS longer before those strips were up to her usual standard. I won't deny she does excellent art, but it takes her much much longer to get there.

She missed a whole day of competition. Presumably she got a much better sleep during her day off, plus she managed to skip a possible elimination. Let's not forget, she was there on the first morning still working on a contract piece having stayed up all night to finish it (and still needed a bit more time). No matter what her strengths might have been in the challenge that day, I'm absolutely certain she would have struggled to complete the contract art work for WotC in the time allotted. Had Lexxy not gotten her day off, she might not have been in the final four, anyway. Had she won the whole competition, she'd have done so having been in the house for less time than the runner up, and having had a lot more rest during the competition, too. That would cast a shadow on her victory, making it illegitimate in the eyes of many.

She's just not funny. Her dinosaur roller skates was the best she could do. Her opponent that time was somebody who did not even attempt a joke. Had Monica brought her funny, there's really no doubt Monica would have been a lot funnier. Lexxy apparently learned nothing, because her next time up for elimination she didn't try to be funny either, despite having acknowledged that humor was a critical component to the judging. Did she think Maki was going to make the same mistake Monica did? Didn't she already read his strip from his first time there? All I can figure is that she's just not funny. From her interviews and behavior around the house, I think it's true. She's got a serious intensity about her, but no real humor. A webcomic does not have to be funny, I read several that are definitely not. But even Lexxy knew humor was important to winning this competition. I don't know why members of the audience don't get that.

Her personality is... difficult. I know it doesn't bother some people, and other people it bothers a lot, but let's just take Khoo's word for it. He knows her a lot better than any of us know her, having conducted many long interviews with her over the phone and in person, having hung out with her socially, and so on from the New Hire episodes of PATV. He said she reminded him of somebody he had to fire. He said she has to be the center of everything. While that certainly rings true with everything I've seen of her on PATV and Strip Search, I'll take Khoo's word on it that she would have caused troubles in the PA offices. I know other strippers have said they like her just fine, and that's fine, but let's not forget that most challenges were individual, not collaborative. In the show itself, from what we've seen, they seemed to be admirers from afar, based on her art, rather than very close to her personally or any kind of working relationship. Lots of praise for her art. Nothing at all like the AmErika/Katbby-type love.

So that's why she lost and deserved to lose. Will Lexxy do just fine anyway? Maybe. It remains to be seen. Certainly she had a successful kickstarter, but she still has to deliver on what she's promised. Based on her past performance, I remain skeptical, but I wish her luck. I certainly think she needs it. She is unproven, both as a comic artist and as a storyteller. She can live for two years on her kickstarter funding, perhaps three, but remember a lot of that has to go into fulfilling her promises. She can go back to contract work if she has to, but then what? I get the impression from today's episode that she was barely making ends meet as it was with that. I speak from experience here, more important than talent and motivation, if you're going to work for yourself, the most important skill you need to have is time management. Without time management, everything else you have going for you gets wasted. As we've seen time and again, and by her own admission, that is her biggest weakness. It can take time to develop, and we all make mistakes, but how long has she been at this already? She probably only has a few more years left before she has to get a real job, if she can't get her act together. So her kickstarter will give her the chance to prove herself, probably as her last chance. So, good luck, Lexxy. Don't squander it.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    Maz-jsoftcheckdeathbearsEricsCambiataKnytestorme
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Since this is the last time we get to fight about Lexxy, let's put it all out there.

No.

Spman2099FyndirAngry_SamoanJurgElbasunufullofgrace101A Concerned CitizenT-boltEricsenderandrewTofystedethRuby RhodGoose!WeedLordVegetaTeeSeaJayKaditynicshoeboxjeddyMKF36ERaslinKid PresentableCambiatajebrexRyadic
  • Barthol O'MewBarthol O'Mew Registered User regular
    Lexxy's was better. By far. The 1st panel was where the punchline began; the whole strip was a punchline. The punchline was funnier than Maki's just not in the run-of-the-mill place. I guess that's what caused another declaration of "high concept"... a simple label to slap on to anything that doesn't follow formula.

And Lexxy's art was excellent as well.

jsoftcheckA Concerned CitizenRuby RhodCambiata
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure why Lexxy is so polarizing, but we also have to keep in mind that we're just not watching a TV sitcom or drama here. Lexxy is a real person who often frequents PA and, by her posts below, is obviously reading the comments for this episode. The one issue with reality TV as a genre as that it tends to turn people into subject matter and we dehumanize them so that we feel comfortable discussing them in ways we wouldn't talk about our friends, family, or co-workers. There's a reason why "don't read your own press" is a standard piece of advice for many creative types, especially actors.

That all being said: Good luck in your future endeavors and congratulations on your Kickstarter, Lexxy. Maki, nicely won, congratulations on making the Top 3. Also, the right partner is waiting for you somewhere. I didn't meet my wife until I was 30 and one of my best friends didn't meet his wife until he was 33, so you are not in any rush to find Ms. Right.

LexxyJermsAngry_SamoanfullofgracejsoftchecktapeslingerA Concerned CitizenenderandrewCaedereRuby RhodWeedLordVegetashoeboxjeddySpman2099CambiataPuddingpie
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, emarecksaykay, but you're not the poster we're searching for.

walrus.png
    ElbasunumageormiketheResetButtonA Concerned CitizengrygusenderandrewMatriasRuby RhodGoose!TeeSeaJayshoeboxjeddyMKF36ECambiataThirty-3PuddingpieRyadic
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    I like Lexxy's way more.

Also Maki's seemed to be about cereal rather than candy.

FyndirjsoftcheckA Concerned CitizengeekymoxiePuddingpie
    With the final three, we know that nobody is safe. I think that there will be no more immunity, no more picking of two people to send. In light of the morning elimination, I think this possibly final day may be quite different than we're used to.

With that in mind, Katie's incredible win-streak won't matter anymore. She's a challenge-winning machine, but if nobody is safe, that doesn't matter. So let's really get down to it.

Katie is funny, Maki is funny, Abby is hilarious. At this point I think anybody who goes up against Abby is going to be dominated by the sheer fact that Mike and Jerry laugh out loud at whatever Abby makes. I really think this competition is Abby's to lose. If there's a bad word combo, and she can't think of an idea, that's the only thing that will stop her.

But let's compare humor specifically.

Katie specializes in a very dark sort of humor. It's based on misfortune and tragic irony, much of the time. Her first comic, being the first, I think has been overrated a bit. It was good, but was it great? I know there are some who think she can do no wrong, but I think it's middling, out of all the comics (win or lose) that we've seen so far. Alex's comic was a bit incomprehensible, and judging standards were low in the beginning. Her second comic I actually liked a lot better, but the Creators didn't. Her humor didn't really resonate with them. It was dark, and Mike and Jerry seem to like their humor a bit lighter.

Maki specializes in a more cerebral humor, and he relies a lot on sight gags as well. If he can set it up, and craft his joke well, his art will carry him through spectacularly. His first comic was over-thought, which he corrected in his second, but his first comic was funnier and he seemed to have more time to finish it. I expect his weakness won't be his brand of humor, but his execution on whatever words he's given. Maki is probably the biggest wildcard of the remaining three.

Abby specializes in deadpan, situational comedy. She can come up with a very clever and absurd situation and present it brilliantly with just the right pacing. Clearly this resonates with the Creators, and she's produced the biggest laughs with her two winning comics. She also executes very quickly, using her particular style to create something with both excellent writing and very expressive art. While her comics aren't as beautiful, they don't need to be to win.

So art, then.

Katie is easily the most talented and creative artist left in the house. In all mediums, she's been dominant, from clay to markers to digital stylus. Only Maki comes close. Her two times to the elimination were based on a design challenge (where she was TOO artistic), and an interview (nothing to do with art). More importantly, I think, she seems quite confident in her art, and she's consistent. No doubt her regular job as an artist has given her a lot of experience. But seriously, go look at the spoiler pages for all of the days. Any artistic challenge she's had to do, she's produced remarkable work. She doesn't have off days, and she doesn't struggle with time or creativity.

Maki is capable of a lot of different styles. He, too, has been an artistic force to be reckoned with. He got sent to elimination the first time for a bad booth set-up, not anything he did wrong with art, and arguably produced one of the best looking comics in the whole competition. His second time sent was again nothing to do with art. His second comic was not as nice-looking as his first, but nonetheless was quite polished and contained a lot of little detail. He's not as consistent as Katie, though, and I think he works a bit slower.

Abby's style, while at first glance maybe not as "technically" good (tangents, no shading) as the other two, is nonetheless highly expressive, and more importantly quick. Abby's output is much higher than anyone else's, except maybe Mac or Ty's. She's fast, and it gets the job done, which means she can do a much better set-up for her jokes, and let the timing play out optimally. The biggest strength of her art is her speed, but second to that is her skill in expressing the exact emotions she wants her characters to express. Let's also not forget, the two times she was sent to elimination had nothing to do with her art, but instead her confidence and inexperience. Well she's got both now after two eliminations against some of the stronger people in the house.

Again I think this is Abby's to lose, just on the basis of her humor and speed, but it's really wonderful the three remaining comic artists we have. All three of them are immensely talented across the board. They impress the heck out of me, and I'll be reading all three of their comics, win or lose, for as long as they keep making them. Best of luck to our final three!

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    Spman2099
  • DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    I feel like there was actual disagreement between the judges today. This is speculation, but there was this wistful look in Jerry's eyes as the decision of Mike became more and more inevitable. Perhaps Strip Search is Mike's baby and Jerry just wants to be along for the ride, but it felt like a completely one man decision.

I got a chuckle out of Maki's and I believe thoroughly that webcomics do not have to be comedic, I read 4 or 5 of them. I will say that I don't think Lexi's work fits in with the body of Penny Arcade. I will love buying and reading it, but I just couldn't see Cloud Factory sitting up there with the others. It would just seem out of place. That being said, I think she simply had the better comic. Munchkin Lollipop templars? come on!

jsoftcheckA Concerned CitizenSpman2099MKF36EgeekymoxiePuddingpie