Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #9

14567810»

• minor incidentminor incident a crow, a scavenger type Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    ahdok wrote: »

Okay, fine. The candy was sweet, sweet Jesus man meats. But what of the jar? WHAT OF THE JAR?

Haha. Okay. Let me think. The "Bowls of hell" joke sailed right past so what else do I got?

Oh I know. Maybe the Jar was secretly "Jarsus" - Jesus' estranged brother.

Oh, I actually loved the Bowls of Hell joke, but was secretly hoping you had something even better for the jar. And you delivered. I imagine Jarsus to be a Roger Clinton Jr-esque figure. The black sheep of the family who has given up all hope of being favorably compared to his half-brother so he lives a life of hopeless lechery with a crippling frankincense addiction.

minor incident on
    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    Work: twitch.tv/maingear
    Lindsay Lohan: I lasted less time in Spelunky than I do in the bedroom.
    ahdok
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Depending on your sense of humour, that was either comedy gold, or myrrhder.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    minor incidentHanClintoMekkaBGoatmon
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Meg wrote: »
    Does it bother anyone else that the joke was stolen from Eddie Izzard? Go about 2 minutes into the linked video. If someone already brought this up I apologize:

No. Maki's joke wasn't dependent on the phrase "Jeezy Chreezies." The joke was the three panels below that, none of which have anything to do with two words used by Izzard. Izzard's use of the term isn't even the joke in that portion of the routine. Izzard is great, but let's not pretend that the aughts haven't seen a bombardment of terms like that (the suffix "izzle" anyone?). To the extent Maki's useage even owes anything to Izzard, that's just bonus points for throwing in an inside joke.

Heck, Tycho himself used the phrase "Jeezy Chreezy" in one of the podcasts when he was playfully needling Gabe about Christianity.

Depending on your sense of humour, that was either comedy gold, or myrrhder.

These puns are getting really sappy.

• MTesonMTeson Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    eagl wrote: »

I was listening to Dave Ramsey's show a couple of weeks ago, and his answer to a startup business owner in your situation was to increase pricing until a few customers dropped off of the client list. If done right, you can end up making the same or more money with a smaller client list, and have more spare time. If you have more work than you can handle, your pricing is too low and you're working too hard.

I do this with my old job (I was a union sound effects editor in Hollywood before I moved away). Whenever someone wants me to do sound on their short film or whatever nowadays, I give them a really high price because I basically don't want to do the work. I have a different job that I love, and while I'm happy to help people out, the opportunity cost of actually taking on a project is pretty huge. So I basically charge two or three times what most people charge for low budget indie stuff around here, and a lot of people walk away, and I'm okay with that. If someone agrees to my pricing, then hey - I just made a TON of money!

It's easier for me because it's not my main source of income, but it's a useful strategy for managing how much you work.

I think we're skating on sketchy territory if we start trying to give business advice to someone who:

1) Is already making a living from their business
    2) Just made $85k from a kickstarter
    3) Hasn't revealed all the details of their business model to the internet, but only their current gripes with it and
    4) Has had some personal interest from Khoo to get this kind of advice already.

Did you get it? Sketchy territory? Ah, I kill myself.

minor incidentSpiffy McBangCambiatafoo
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Some of you need to meet more old people.

Old people always have bowls of candy around.

walrus.png
    parmeisanTofystedeth
    mcp wrote: »
    Some of you need to meet more old people.

Old people always have bowls of candy around.

Yeah, but who wants to eat candy that old people have touched?

• Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    eagl wrote: »
    You forgot to factor in the opportunity cost.

That doesn't really apply if the opportunity you're looking for is to be able to do something that won't bring in any money right away. You have to have some kind of a bankroll to back you up in case you're left with plenty of time on your hands, and I would think she'd have put that bankroll together by now if the money she was making allowed for it.
    I think we're skating on sketchy territory if we start trying to give business advice to someone who:

3) Hasn't revealed all the details of their business model to the internet, but only their current gripes with it and

Pretty much.

• BaelzarBaelzar Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Does it bother anyone else that the joke was stolen from Eddie Izzard? Go about 2 minutes into the linked video. If someone already brought this up I apologize:
    You think the joke in the strip was the jeezy creezy part?

Baelzar on
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    -P. J. O'Rourke
    Elbasunu
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Baelzar wrote: »
    You think the joke in the strip was the jeezy creezy part?

Edit: Ah edited!

Elbasunu on
  • MTesonMTeson Austin, TXRegistered User regular

Good call. Let me disclaim that I don't feel the need to preach to a successful freelancer like Lexxy what to do with her business. I was just sharing what I do for me, which is specific to my needs. I have a salaried job that I enjoy that I would prefer to do instead of freelance work which is obviously not the case here. I think it's an interesting discussion in general.

• StarmieStarmie Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THE LINK AHEAD :

So, is it just me, or does this exchange from the PAX East panel imply that a certain one of the remaining contestants does NOT win? I feel like the contestant and Mike both make statements suggesting that there is not a plan for the contestant to move to Seattle and work at the PA offices.

I really hope I'm wrong. I love all of the remaining strippers, but I was pulling for (and expecting) this one to win. :(

Starmie on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2013
    Supposedly there is not yet a winner at all. Therefore it makes sense to not have anyone with plans.

zerzhul on
    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • StarmieStarmie Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Supposedly there is not yet a winner at all. Therefore it makes sense to not have anyone with plans.

Right, but the exchange seems to imply that there is no active discussion/consideration of the possibility, which there presumably would be even if the contestant were only one of two remaining.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2013
    I think searching for spoilers, and posting them here, is a fool's errand. Also I don't think there are any spoilers in the conversation that you linked.

All that discussion implies is that Abby might be dropping out of school (which I think she did?).

zerzhul on
    oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    Elbasunu
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    She strongly hinted she was going to drop out of school to pursue comics on her site a few weeks ago. Not sure that she ever confirmed that. But yeah, for anyone wondering, that exchange in the linked video isn't a spoiler in any way.

Lamp on
    edited June 2013
    Well, her comic basically stated that. Although, I'm not sure how much of that is true to life, but I'd assume it is relatively so.

See here: http://www.jspowerhour.com/comics/69

Also, Google knows what's up:

Screen%20Shot%202013-06-06%20at%2011.54.53%20PM.png
    #teamtangent

minor incident on
    HanClintoAngry_SamoanTofystedeth
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    Ooh, now that I read the blog post with that comic it looks like she pretty much did confirm she left school, at least temporarily.

• YazilliclickYazilliclick Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    Beyond just the lack of a joke this comic didn't even have anything to really draw a first time reader into the idea and make sure they come back to see the followup. Basically nothing happens at all, the only thing you have to go on is the idea of 'candy crusaders'. Candy crusaders is definitely going down the joke/gag line though so probably should have gone with one at the end and that would have sealed the deal but could have probably done so with some other attention grabber that would hook people.
    Sounds like you missed what the comic was referencing - it wasn't just generic Candy Crusaders, it was the two singing munchkin groups from the Wizard of Oz movie that welcomed Dorothy to Oz. that's what Jerry was talking about as "high concept", the two cheerful candy munchkin societies having a religious war.

Maybe it would have been a little funnier if at the end the speech-giver said something like "Win this war and you'll be his-, you'll be his-, you'll be history!"

Though I missed it it doesn't change that there's no punch line, no grab, no ending etc... Knowing the reference just makes it feel like a bit more of a let down that nothing happens after the build up. I think for a comic strip that's the most important part. It doesn't even have to be a funny joke but there needs to be something with some punch. Can be something interesting, thoughtful, emotional or funny but there needs to be something there to bring satisfaction on an individual comic level. Even comics with overarching stories need to have something on the individual comic level on at least a fairly regular basis; for this competition though having one without any such thing comes off as lacking since there won't be a followup.

So as I said it builds up a concept of an idea but it doesn't go anywhere and for me leaves a really hollow feeling at the end. It's like a good joke but missing the last line or a great speech missing the conclusion. It's all setup and no pay off.

And to all those claiming criticism of someone is hating: Sorry to disappoint but this isn't hate. It's just discussion of the topic at hand which is judging the comics presented and the talent behind them. Lexxy is obviously a very talented artist but as even she's said she's very inexperienced in making comics. Everybody in this competition was talented going in, hence why they were chosen. Some are just better for the role the show is trying to fill.

Yazilliclick on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Okay, F5 time for the semifinals.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    F5 for great justice.

Spman2099
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Graham has said "within the hour".

Which means I head to bed.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    And to all those claiming criticism of someone is hating: Sorry to disappoint but this isn't hate.

Nah, your stuff here is genuine critique, and that's all good stuff. (In fact I agree with your points. Lexxy's comic was beautiful, but lacked any genuine sense of a climax or closure - I think that contest was squarely in camp Maki, and I'm glad it was decided on the merits of the presented strips, and not overall performance.) - I've been aiming my MickeyPilfering specifically towards those people who were just hating and not contributing anything.

The only criticism I'd aim at your post at all is that when your stuff isn't hateposting, I feel it more sensible to not bother bringing the subject up at all. Rather than analyse your arguments, my first instinct once I read the quoted line is to analyse whether I think that's a valid statement, and I'm less inclined to actually consider your relevant points as a result.

• Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    Well, I feel like we know a lot about Lexxy now.
    Gosling wrote: »
    Graham has said "within the hour".

Which means I head to bed.

You are weak! WEAK!!!

• xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    It's up :D

• Ernie OportoErnie Oporto Registered User regular
    I cynically thought this whole thing was in the bag for Lexxy into the PA studio, especially when she was brought back again. Very surprised she didn’t pull out all the stops this time. I think Mike and Jerry work pretty fast, but the time factor seems to be a major stumbling block for almost everyone, and not a realistic representation on what they’re capable of. Best of luck with the Kickstarter Lexxy!

Wasn’t too impressed with Maki, but the joke was a better experience than Lexxy’s. His linework is pretty mainstream so I see that as an attraction, but I don’t think he’ll win.

I’ve always been a Team Abby person and I was pleasantly surprised by her art talent, one of the few of the show that made me burt out laughing. Wishing her luck in this competition!

• endikuendiku Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    She strongly hinted she was going to drop out of school to pursue comics on her site a few weeks ago. Not sure that she ever confirmed that.

Working in education, I was so happy to see Abby say this. College is a great thing for some people, but it isn't a one-size-fits all for everyone, which is how it is presented. I've seen too many people waste money and time on further education which simply isn't necessary. For someone like Abby, who has an amazing talent and already knows what they want to do, college can be a hindrance instead of a help. It's time people stop putting "further education" on a pedestal.

• BuraisuBuraisu Innovator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would of done a comic on Priests, alter-boys, and candy.

Universal Username: Naivedo
    GW2 Username: Naivedo.4617
    Aw man, I really thought I had a chance of featuring on this #elimcomic home-edition... @clayyount's comic was clearly the best of the bunch though.

miaAusa
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    yeah i was hoping to as well, but they did have some good submissions

• GoatmonGoatmon I can't stop. This is all I have left.Registered User regular
    I loved Lexxy's artwork, and I have no doubt that she would have won if the goal was to make a comic that looks really great.

But I couldn't argue with their decision. His strip just had a great punchline and I couldn't help but laugh out loud at it.

14567810»