Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #9

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Lexxy NOOOO.

Maki YAAAY.

I guess we have a definitive answer that the only thing Mike is looking for is the LOLs (I mean, decent art is important as well but everyone in the house can do that). I disagree that a webcomic has to be funny.

I liked Lexxy's a lot more. All of her strips have done a great job using both topics (even when she didn't know what one of the words was!) and shown fantastic world building.

Also, I actually find the idea of a religious war in Oz hilarious and thought Maki's was more "cereal" than "candy". But also funny.

jsoftcheckA Concerned Citizen
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    Like Dino rollers, I though Lexxy's was beautifully made but I didn't quite get it - I think that's my fault though.
    I thought Maki's were communion wafers from the shots of it in progress... I guess they were sweets in a jar that the kids were putting in a bowl to be posh.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    To be fair, there's not a huge difference between most cereals and candy.

walrus.png
    AnzekayHanClintoJurgemarecksaykayAngry_SamoanzerzhulfullofgraceA Concerned CitizenAnana11TofystedethGamercowWeedLordVegetashoeboxjeddylympigeekymoxiejebrex
  • Sleepery JeemSleepery Jeem Registered User new member
    Lexxy's strip could have been perfect if she mixed a little bit of movie oz silliness into it. The munchkins were played just a bit too straight - we needed some candy swords getting broken over heads. On the other hand, playing them straight is almost a joke in itself - I find I'm liking the strip more as I think about it.

I love Maki's webcomic, but he did not do a great strip here. It was a cheap joke too simply drawn. Bad call on this one, I think.

jsoftcheckA Concerned Citizen
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I feel like there was actual disagreement between the judges today. This is speculation, but there was this wistful look in Jerry's eyes as the decision of Mike became more and more inevitable. Perhaps Strip Search is Mike's baby and Jerry just wants to be along for the ride, but it felt like a completely one man decision.

I got a chuckle out of Maki's and I believe thoroughly that webcomics do not have to be comedic, I read 4 or 5 of them. I will say that I don't think Lexi's work fits in with the body of Penny Arcade. I will love buying and reading it, but I just couldn't see Cloud Factory sitting up there with the others. It would just seem out of place. That being said, I think she simply had the better comic. Munchkin Lollipop templars? come on!

While I agree that Jerry has seemed rather passive throughout the entire competition, I disagree that there was disagreement here. Jerry seemed to be pushing Maki's comic from the beginning of the judging.

I think we're probably both wrong, and I think Jerry's influence is simply more subtle, not non-existant. While I think ultimately it is Mike doing the final decision, Jerry is right there steering the conversation in a lot of these eliminations.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    oh and re artistic styles - Abby can do a lot more than her comic style, as she showed in the Magic challenge. I also think her comics were really nicely drawn, actually - the details of the facial expressions, the linework - she's a very good draughtsperson. I feel like I've already wondered if that's a word and decided it might be.

• LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Weaselsoup wrote: »
    oh and re artistic styles - Abby can do a lot more than her comic style, as she showed in the Magic challenge. I also think her comics were really nicely drawn, actually - the details of the facial expressions, the linework - she's a very good draughtsperson. I feel like I've already wondered if that's a word and decided it might be.

Draftsperson?

emarecksaykayjsoftcheckA Concerned CitizenCambiata
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Hmm. I was looking for Red Wedding stuff, but found this...
    http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/38398348.jpg

Angry_Samoan on
    "The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    A Concerned Citizen
    edited June 2013
    yeah, like, person who draws? maybe the word is Drafter? there is the word 'draughtsman' but obviously that's no good... I dunno, I would ask my drawing teacher, but she always just says 'drawer'...

eta: d'oh. draft vs draught, US EN vs UK EN. sorry! misread.

Weaselsoup on
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    I liked Maki's better as a finished strip (even though sinners don't get raptured), and I've been on Team Beardwall since the start, but I think, given more time, Lexxy's would have been stronger. The candy warriors were definitely pretty PA, I thought.

I don't get all the Lexxy hate. Like that fucking novel up there? It's hard for me to hate anyone that much, let alone a contestant on a web reality show about webcomics who commits the terrible sin of being an assertive person. Thankfully, her comments in the past and in this thread have shown that her attitude remains, "haters gonna hate."

Anyway, even though I'm a member of Team Beardwall, I'm worried about Maki. Katie can produce beautiful artwork fast, and, though her second comic was a dud, Skadi is a pretty funny strip, so she can pull through with the funny. And Abby is, of course, absurdly funny. I didn't like her in the beginning (knowing too many people who hide behind sarcasm), but she has done a huge turnaround. She has actually developed some ~*confidence*~ and it's making her kick ass. So far, it seems like she is the judge favorite. Maki, however, seems to have won... I don't know, contingent victories... so far? As in a, you won, but here's what you could have done better, way. Abby's comics did not have that attached to them.

I still think Maki is great, but in terms of Elimination Stage performance, I think Abby will take this competition.

sig.gif
    Ryadic
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I adore Lexxy. She did a fantastic job during the course of the show and I've very excited for Cloud Factory.

jsoftcheckFyndirmageormikeA Concerned CitizenRuby RhodMKF36ECambiataPuddingpie
    hotzp wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Lexxy is so polarizing, but we also have to keep in mind that we're just not watching a TV sitcom or drama here. Lexxy is a real person who often frequents PA and, by her posts below, is obviously reading the comments for this episode. The one issue with reality TV as a genre as that it tends to turn people into subject matter and we dehumanize them so that we feel comfortable discussing them in ways we wouldn't talk about our friends, family, or co-workers. There's a reason why "don't read your own press" is a standard piece of advice for many creative types, especially actors.

Lexxy stated in episode 9 "I don't want white knights coming to my rescue." She's a big girl and can handle a bit of criticism, I'm sure. If you're going to sign up to be on a TV show, and especially if you're an artist, criticism goes with the territory. I think she's smart enough to know that. All my criticisms were things she herself expressed on the show (or PATV), in some form or another. Everything I posted I have no problem with her reading, and fully expected that she would. That's why I wished her luck at the end, and shared my own personal experience learning what it takes to be successful working for oneself. If she can work on her acknowledged biggest weakness, she'll be quite successful.

It's okay if you're a fan of hers, but don't be blind to her faults and be confused about why she lost. That's just silly.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    One thing that is really cool about the whole show is that there might be only one winner but the others won't sink into obscurity for me the way runners-up from other reality shows do. Like, you never get a chance to hear what someone who didn't win Masterchef is up to. But I can follow everyone's comics and twitter etc and feel like they all 'won' in a way just by being on the show. Yeah, I'm trying to convince myself to feel better about the inevitability that two people I really really like are about to lose out...

emarecksaykayzerzhulA Concerned Citizen
  • MonkeyKing1969MonkeyKing1969 Library Man Cape CodRegistered User regular
    I thought Maki's comic was funny and incredibly well executed as an idea. I suppose it required the reader to know what the rapture was, but I think the comic was suited for the judges for sure. I liked where Lexxy was going with her strip, but i don't think she got to the end. I think even without a joke that concept could sell if she closing the loop on thought. In the end, I don't think her strip made a point or completed an idea/thought...yet with a time constraint that is totally understandable.

I don't like going personal, but I'd have to ask Mai if he won, "Do you really want to leave New York (Brooklyn) to live in Seattle?" It comes down to 'where' you live in Brooklyn, but all the same its would be a big choice. I can understand Amy moving, I've been to Noank like everyone else in CT for lobster & steamers, but since Groton is a first strike target...eh might as well move.

• lofloloflo Registered User regular
    Can I just highlight that my prediction in the previous thread was right while completely glossing over the fact that absolutely everything i based that prediction on was wrong?

Because that is what i would like to do.

emarecksaykay
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Or just "Ron" Registered User regular
    I wasn't happy about the decision to bring Lexxy back but she's PA forum folk and PA forum folk are family. Nothing less honorific than a viking funeral for her departure. Blow the horns, et cetera.

Puddingpie
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    I found it pretty hard to decide this time around. I immediately knew who they would be choosing, because as said before in this thread "high concept" means "looks great just too bad it won't win" in this competition. Maki's comic made me laugh but, like he admitted himself, it felt like it was part of something more. That there should have been more building of the joke. I was impressed with the amount of work Lexxy got done and it would be something I would be interested in reading. But there wasn't really a joke or something in there, maybe a few minor ones like the candy templar shield and the weirdness of the situation. But I admire the fact that she knew she didn't have a joke to "please the judges" but still went all out to try and impress them.

So yeah in the end, looking at Penny Arcade, I probably would have gone with Maki. Not that the entire PA fandom is a bunch of people who only want to see jokes, but I think Maki would be a better fit. And that Lexxy is better off going of on her own and making some great graphic novels.

But I will miss Lexxy, I always liked her. The only thing I won't miss are the endless Lexxy discussions.

Anana11Spman2099
  • MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    I don't think Lexxy went far enough in her comic to make it really work as a "high concept" piece. I think the situation would have worked better if either the characters were more cartoony and it led up to a Braveheart style bloody confrontation or if it started out very serious and finished with the candy as the reason for the conflict being in the closing panel. The way it looks now, I feel as though you have too long to digest the candy templars and the tone and it makes the situation less interesting mentally without a noticeable shift.

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »
    Weaselsoup wrote: »

Draftsperson?
    They're both right; variant spellings. ;)

Lexxyemarecksaykay
  • nemminemmi Registered User regular
    Good work, Lexxy. I know it would have felt good to win, but they were totally right. You don't need them to do anything. With that kickstarter and all of this internet publicity, you're basically golden.
    (Also, it's said that the person that people fight over is the person who is the most well liked overall)

jsoftcheck
  • HanClintoHanClinto Registered User regular
    Disclaimer: I'm #TeamTangent, but I have immense respect and appreciation for Lexxy, as well as some firsthand Kickstarter administration experience, and wanted to chime in on your comments:
    Will Lexxy do just fine anyway? Maybe. It remains to be seen. Certainly she had a successful kickstarter, but she still has to deliver on what she's promised. Based on her past performance, I remain skeptical, but I wish her luck. I certainly think she needs it. She is unproven, both as a comic artist and as a storyteller. She can live for two years on her kickstarter funding, perhaps three, but remember a lot of that has to go into fulfilling her promises.
    There's no way she can live for 3 years (or even 2 years) on her Kickstarter funding. I'd say around a year, and that's optimistic. I've helped run two successful Kickstarter campaigns in the past year, and there are a lot of expenses involved.

Remember that 10% gets skimmed off the top of that Kickstarter right off the bat. And then not all of the payments get made (cancellations, chargebacks, whatever). So that shiny $80k Kickstarter you just made ? Knock $10k off of it and you're down to $70k. And then, as you mentioned, there are production costs involved with fulfilling the rewards. There are shirts and prints and books and bindings and buttons and pins and blah blah blah. It adds up. What sort of markup would you have in retail? 30%? 50%? Assume 50% markup -- that knocks you down to $35k left from your Kickstarter. Try living off of that for 3 years -- that's tough to do.

So that's why I say that 1 yr is a more realistic time frame for how long Lexxy has to actually complete Cloud Factory.
    She can go back to contract work if she has to, but then what? I get the impression from today's episode that she was barely making ends meet as it was with that. I speak from experience here, more important than talent and motivation, if you're going to work for yourself, the most important skill you need to have is time management. Without time management, everything else you have going for you gets wasted. As we've seen time and again, and by her own admission, that is her biggest weakness. It can take time to develop, and we all make mistakes, but how long has she been at this already?

And for as much as Lexxy talked about her lack of time management on the show, I saw none of that weakness. Sure, she never colored an elimination comic, but neither has Abby, and Lexxy's comics are craaazy long and detailed. Compare Abby's "Naughty Mystery" to any of Lexxy's comics, and the amount and quality of her work is just stellar. I don't know about you, but I think that her work speaks for itself.

Time management difficulty is very likely a weakness and an aspect of Lexxy's personality, but she strikes me as the sort of professional who is aware of self-faults, and compensates for them. Based on the quality and quantity of her work in the elimination episoes, I'd say she does so admirably. That takes an impressive level of meekness and self-awareness, and I really respect that aspect of Lexxy's professionalism.

emarecksaykayjsoftcheckCambiata
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Actually, I have a question that I hope someone who's been there can tell us.

Do you get any "thinking time" between drawing the ideas out of the wastebasket and "Art!"? Everyone seems to get straight into it, often with kick-arse ideas. I'd be chewing on my pencil with my feet on the desk for a while first I think. Especially if I was thrown a curveball like arelola circus...

emarecksaykay
  • Earth/MotherEarth/Mother Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I feel as though Lexxy could have salvaged her strip by adding another panel right after the third which depicted one of the pagans biting a lollipop.

It would flow like this:
    Panel 3 - Lollipop Guildsman: "For too long have we turned a blind eye to their blasphemous ritual."
    Panel 4- Bitten lollipop (possibly with a hair or something similar on it to make it seem gross and sullied.)

It's not hilarious, I know but it might have been able to compete with Jeezy Chreezies.

Earth/Mother on
    HanClinto
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    I feel like there was actual disagreement between the judges today. This is speculation, but there was this wistful look in Jerry's eyes as the decision of Mike became more and more inevitable. Perhaps Strip Search is Mike's baby and Jerry just wants to be along for the ride, but it felt like a completely one man decision.

I got a chuckle out of Maki's and I believe thoroughly that webcomics do not have to be comedic, I read 4 or 5 of them. I will say that I don't think Lexi's work fits in with the body of Penny Arcade. I will love buying and reading it, but I just couldn't see Cloud Factory sitting up there with the others. It would just seem out of place. That being said, I think she simply had the better comic. Munchkin Lollipop templars? come on!

I thought there was a disagreement between Mike and Jerry during Lexxy's and Tavis' elimination round. In that round Jerry said, "That is funny, but this is wonderful." And funny beat wonderful.

Well... make Mike laugh and you win. I don't recall seeing an elimination where Mike was convinced from going against his gut reaction.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Mike's baby, which makes sense. I think Strip Search was Mike's idea, so I would expect Mike to have more say.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    emarecksaykaySpman2099
  • HanClintoHanClinto Registered User regular
    I feel as though Lexxy could have salvaged her strip by adding another panel right after the third which depicted one of the pagans biting a lollipop.

It's not hilarious, I know but it might have been able to compete with Jeezy Chreezies.

I think you're right. I felt there is a punchline gag hiding in there somewhere, but in time since I've been noodling on it in the background, nothing has come to mind. I imagine it was similar for Lexxy.

I don't think a simple visual gag would have necessarily done it and made Mike and Jerry laugh out loud -- but I'm not sure exactly what would have done it.

• jsoftcheckjsoftcheck Registered User regular
    Lexxy's work is just too high concept for strip search. Neither one was a good chuckle, but Lexxy's piece was interesting and made me want to see more. Jerry nailed it in the final moments. Her arc to stardom is inevitable. Can't wait to see what she does next.

• papasmurfpapasmurf Registered User regular
    Here's my theory on why haters gonna hate. I think it's because Lexxy is confident and honest. She's not the typical socially awkward introvert that people expect (demand) in an artist. I can imagine why some could initially misinterpret her as arrogant, but from her time on the show it quickly becomes apparent (at least to me) that she is sociable, charming and graceful in defeat, so this theory just doesn't add up. I'm sure Robert's perception of her has changed drastically since the New Hire ep.

Humility's great and all, but I don't think there's anything wrong with believing in yourself. At the end of the day, it's those people that actually get shit done.

jsoftcheckA Concerned CitizenMTesonHanClintoenderandrewLavidiusshoeboxjeddyCambiatageekymoxiePuddingpie
  • SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    She can go back to contract work if she has to, but then what? I get the impression from today's episode that she was barely making ends meet as it was with that.

If that is the case, she's clearly doing it wrong. Someone with her skill set can easily charge 100 USD an hour for contract work, if not more.
    Jishian wrote:
    Also Maki's seemed to be about cereal rather than candy.

That's probably because he called his candy "Chreezies" which looks a lot like "Cheerios", I think he actually meant to call them "Cheezies", which is still more a snack then a cereal.

Siddown on
  • cgardner42cgardner42 Registered User regular
    Lexxy: You refused to compromise your own style in order to win. Way to have some fucking integrity as a creator. Could she have made a comic more to suit Mike's style? Yes, but that's genre mimicry, not artistry. Hard to think of a better way to go out, can't wait for Cloud Factory.!

jsoftcheckCambiataPuddingpie
    I found it pretty hard to decide this time around. I immediately knew who they would be choosing, because as said before in this thread "high concept" means "looks great just too bad it won't win" in this competition. Maki's comic made me laugh but, like he admitted himself, it felt like it was part of something more. That there should have been more building of the joke. I was impressed with the amount of work Lexxy got done and it would be something I would be interested in reading. But there wasn't really a joke or something in there, maybe a few minor ones like the candy templar shield and the weirdness of the situation. But I admire the fact that she knew she didn't have a joke to "please the judges" but still went all out to try and impress them.

So yeah in the end, looking at Penny Arcade, I probably would have gone with Maki. Not that the entire PA fandom is a bunch of people who only want to see jokes, but I think Maki would be a better fit. And that Lexxy is better off going of on her own and making some great graphic novels.

I always kind of cringe when Jerry says "high-concept." I would have to go back and see, because while I think he's technically been right each time, the term doesn't quite mean what people seem to think it means. All it means is you can communicate the idea succinctly. Just about every comic in the competition has been high-concept. Both of the comics today qualify for the term.

You're right that Penny Arcade is looking for a particular kind of strip. After all, they don't say "your strip sucks" they say "you're not the strip we're searching for." That's an important distinction that I don't think everyone understands. Some very nice strips have been eliminated, strips that people might very well want to read on a weekly basis, but they're not what PA wants to feature on their site and have plugged into their apparatus. Some of the strippers are quite capable of doing it, but didn't. Some might not be capable, even though their strips are quite good by other (NOT lesser) standards. I do worry a bit about Katie's particular brand of humor not appealing to Mike and Jerry, even though Skadi is hilarious and I liked both her elimination strips too. I think Maki is a wildcard, depending on the words chosen, whether he appeals to them or not. So far he's done well. I think Abby is exactly what they're looking for, though, or at least, is able to produce it most consistently.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    EricsCambiataPuddingpie
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I thought it was great work by both of them. I liked maki's joke more, but the visual gag of a candy templar is just as good, in my book.

Congrats to @lexxy for a great performance, and on all your future success.

Congrats to @makitori on his win. (I hear Hell is great this time of year!)

g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I think the joke with Maki's comic having sinners is that the candy (lollies) are so good they save sinners immediately.

I did laugh a good bit at it, and Lexxy's was pretty funny too but in a sort of smile sort of way, rather than an actual chuckle. Appreciative humour.

• SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    cgardner42 wrote:
    You refused to compromise your own style in order to win.

Is not having a joke in a one-off strip a "style"?

I can see it with established characters because your audience has an attachment to them. Mike has even done that in a small number of his PA comics (I seem to remember one with Gabe's son asking him not to grow up after he'd gone to sleep). But in a one off in a comic competition, you need a joke. She realized this in her other two fantastic strips, so was she ignoring her "style" then? Hardly.

Sometimes a loss is just a loss, she couldn't think of something funny in a short 90 minute time period under pressure, so be it.

PsykomaemarecksaykayjsoftcheckCambiata
  • JustforkixJustforkix Registered User regular
    I still think Lexxy's "vacation on an areola" strip is one of the most beautiful comic strips I've ever seen. While it maybe wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, the innocence of the clowns poses and in the prose itself ... Jerry described it best as "wonderful".

To be honest, I don't think either one did enough to win this one. I think Maki edged Lexxy out simply by virtue of being a more "traditional" strip even though the humor was weak.

thouisKadi
  • d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    The decision today made sense.

Maki, while he doesn't normally do funny, has a great sense of humor. He's very good at creating a nice, minimalist funny. Given time and practice, he could definitely become the next Perry Bible Fellowship. (http://pbfcomics.com/)

Lexxy's strip was pretty, but it didn't say anything. I didn't laugh, or feel sad, or feel happy, or think (Lexxy seemed to admit this too). I saw candy crusaders fighting. The idea had tons of room for development, and could be turned into something wonderful though. Definitely a multi-part strip. For the purposes of Strip Search though, she'd have fared better if she focused on the aftermath of the candy crusades. Funerals, mourning, all that. Which has the right amount of ridiculousness for it to be great. Commentary on both war and religion that makes us think important thoughts, and the right amount of silliness to make us laugh and not hate the messenger.

emarecksaykay
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Lexxy stated in episode 9 "I don't want white knights coming to my rescue." She's a big girl and can handle a bit of criticism, I'm sure. If you're going to sign up to be on a TV show, and especially if you're an artist, criticism goes with the territory. I think she's smart enough to know that. All my criticisms were things she herself expressed on the show (or PATV), in some form or another. Everything I posted I have no problem with her reading, and fully expected that she would. That's why I wished her luck at the end, and shared my own personal experience learning what it takes to be successful working for oneself. If she can work on her acknowledged biggest weakness, she'll be quite successful.

It's okay if you're a fan of hers, but don't be blind to her faults and be confused about why she lost. That's just silly.

I agree, none of the contestants needs a "white knight," nor was I trying to become one or address your post, specifically. It was more a call for general civility. I'm currently split between Team Katie and Team Tangent, so I'm not defending Lexxy out of some sense of blind fandom zealotry nor do I think she deserved to win the last elimination; however, since you've poked the bear, let's address your post.
    She has never completed a comic strip in her life, as far as I can tell. Whatever you might say about her now three elimination strips, when compared to her concept art for Cloud Factory, you cannot honestly claim she was finished with her strips.

Why not? We know what Mike is capable of artistically when he shows off his paintings. Does that mean Penny Arcade strips are incomplete because he doesn't spend as much time on them?
    She missed a whole day of competition. Presumably she got a much better sleep during her day off, plus she managed to skip a possible elimination. Let's not forget, she was there on the first morning still working on a contract piece having stayed up all night to finish it (and still needed a bit more time). No matter what her strengths might have been in the challenge that day, I'm absolutely certain she would have struggled to complete the contract art work for WotC in the time allotted.

This is a lot of conjecture.
    She's just not funny. Her dinosaur roller skates was the best she could do.
    Her personality is... difficult.
    So that's why she lost and deserved to lose. Will Lexxy do just fine anyway? Maybe. It remains to be seen. Certainly she had a successful kickstarter, but she still has to deliver on what she's promised. Based on her past performance, I remain skeptical, but I wish her luck. I certainly think she needs it. She is unproven, both as a comic artist and as a storyteller.
    So her kickstarter will give her the chance to prove herself, probably as her last chance. So, good luck, Lexxy. Don't squander it.

Oh, yeah, you sure wished her luck at the end there. I was awash with what the internet would term "the good feels." Are you sure it's everyone else who's blind? Did Lexxy set your car on fire or what?

hotzp on
    GethAngry_SamoanjsoftcheckA Concerned CitizenKalTorakRuby RhodenderandrewKoopahTroopahshoeboxjeddyMKF36EKalynarCambiatageekymoxie
  • thouisthouis Registered User new member

It's speculation, of course, but I think the disagreement was weaker than this. Mike and Jerry have been working together for years, and from watching them PA:TS, I get the impression they're very efficient at forming a consensus, and when they can't, quickly settling on the decision that seems to minimize mutual regret.

emarecksaykay
  • yohanleafheartyohanleafheart Registered User regular
    The thing that I can say is that I am really mad at myself for not entering the Cloud Factory kickstarter. The art was superb, superb. And I loved the setup. This is among the top 5 elimination strips in my opnion (below Abby's sexadventures, Lexxys' own areola circus and Monica's roller dino's). Lexxy, you have at least one sale guaranteed of your Book once it is realeased. And also, if you made a "sketch" book with the art you used here, damn, this could be sindicated.

jsoftcheck
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ah, taste, such an extremely subjective thing. I laughed pretty hard at @makitori's comic right away, and with @Lexxy's I didn't even get the Oz reference until reading these comments.

In the end, both are extremely talented people. It's not like someone who didn't deserve to be successful got to continue on.

vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    ElbasunuemarecksaykayGamercow
  • rathwolfrathwolf Registered User regular
    I'm glad that Maki won(no offense Lexxy-lovers, just my personal choice), but I feel like Lexxy could have easily won that if she had taken her comic and just added a panel with super simple artwork of a munchkin running in panic as a fairy bites his head. That would've been hilarious given the serious set-up.