Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #9

• A Concerned CitizenA Concerned Citizen Registered User regular
    Hey Maki, congrats on your win! Thanks for clarifying your strip :-) !

• enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Erika and Lexxy were my favorites and both are gone. But I do really like all 3 remaining contestants.

To everyone who said Mike and Jerry were basically liars and this was some sham of a competition where they were going to crown Lexxy a winner no matter what, when can we expect your apologies?

Edit: Just wanted to add that while I was rooting for Lexi, I think Maki deserved to win.

enderandrew on
    Spman2099
  • EricsErics Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    She's a big girl and can handle a bit of criticism, I'm sure.

I think you've written an essay at this point.

Why Lexxy is a Huge Butt and Smells: A Critical Novel by Emarecksaykay

fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
    GethLexxyA Concerned CitizenRuby RhodahdokhotzpenderandrewWeedLordVegetashoeboxjeddySpman2099KalynarCambiataPuddingpie
  • RogjahRogjah Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    It must be baffling to you why "comic book shops" sell more than humor books.
    It is truly one of the many mysteries in life which confounds my simple mind. It's right up there with is it a doll or an action figure?

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Since Lexxy's comic has such a serious buildup, I wanted it to end on a funny note showing how pathetic a real fight would be using candy as weapons. So maybe this big tough munchkin warrior is holding out a tiny lollypop sword and cowering as he's pelted with a couple of tiny gumdrops to the face, saying "ouch, ouch!" (OK that's not great, I'm mostly just going with the juxtaposition of serious war + actual candy weapons)

Edit: Another idea would be to make it a spoof of all the modern, "gritty" remakes of classic stories. So at the end it's a pair of incredulous moviegoers sitting in the theater saying "Yeah, maybe Michael Bay should have left this one alone." (or something like that!)

(don't worry guys I'll keep my day job)

Lamp on
    A Concerned CitizenPuddingpie
  • theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    Since Lexxy's comic has such a serious buildup, I wanted it to end on a funny note showing how pathetic a real fight would be using candy as weapons. So maybe this big tough munchkin warrior is holding out a tiny lollypop sword and cowering as he's pelted with a couple of tiny gumdrops to the face, saying "ouch, ouch!" (OK that's not great, I'm mostly just going with the juxtaposition of serious war + actual candy weapons)

Maybe even in a completely different, sillier art style? Like a this-is-how-they-see-themselves vs. a this-is-what-it-really-looks-like type thing.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
    A Concerned CitizenPuddingpie
  • SenkhSenkh Registered User new member
    I´d love to see after the battle crusade scene, a giant red juice jar joining and screaming Yeeeeaaaa. Lexxy should kickstart her stuff.

Puddingpie
  • lavonialavonia Registered User regular
    When I think of strip, I don't think it has to be funny, but I think there generally has to be a single idea that delivers some sort of punch if it's a stand-alone piece. I do think Lexxy is capable of making beautiful comics but I don't think it falls under the umbrella term of strip in terms of what the PA team is looking for.

(Lexxy, I'm looking forward to Cloud Factory. Following updates through email.)

Everyone that is left can deliver a professional comic, it's just a matter of syntax now.

• 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yes, CLEARLY they just wanted to give Lexxy the job all along I mean really why else would they keep her on toda-

oh. Oh, everyone who said that is completely crazy,r ight.

drowning in the ever heaving waters of mother Earth's salty tiddy.
    GethEricsA Concerned CitizenLavidiusWeedLordVegetashoeboxjeddyCambiataRuby Rhod
  • ManabouttimeManabouttime Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/10/07

I knew I had heard that Sophie's choice joke!

Spoiler:

Damn it Damn it Damn it! Lexxy, I am going to follow your career in a suitably creepy way. Just below booth barnacle.

I disagree with the statement that Lexxy's comic was not funny. I chuckled more at the phrasing of the opening sentence then I did at Maki's punchline. Of course, going in I knew they were approximately equal, so the result isn't shocking. If Maki or Katie wins, I'll be happy.

Manabouttime on
    enderandrewPuddingpie
  • brumbybrumby Registered User new member
    That was a disappointing result. Lexxy's comic suggests a demented version of Oz that I'd like to see more of. Given the judges, perhaps the only thing extra this comic "needed" was framing as the next campaign setting for WoW or one of the games PA work on/with (and maybe a splash of candy-colored gore for Mike). Anyway, with Lexxy's Kickstarter success I'm looking forward to her not-necessarily-funny long format future works.

As for this competition, if humor is King, long live Queen Abby!

• MTesonMTeson Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    papasmurf wrote: »
    Here's my theory on why haters gonna hate. I think it's because Lexxy is confident and honest. She's not the typical socially awkward introvert that people expect (demand) in an artist. I can imagine why some could initially misinterpret her as arrogant, but from her time on the show it quickly becomes apparent (at least to me) that she is sociable, charming and graceful in defeat, so this theory just doesn't add up. I'm sure Robert's perception of her has changed drastically since the New Hire ep.

Humility's great and all, but I don't think there's anything wrong with believing in yourself. At the end of the day, it's those people that actually get shit done.

I don't think it's this. Commence total speculation and inaccurate judgment, but it's something more complicated than "people don't like her because she's confident." People liked Amy and Amy was confident. No, Lexxy's not a "typical socially awkward introvert" at all, but she's a typical socially awkward extrovert, which is a different beast.

When I used to work in the film biz many years ago (post sound at one of the major studios), one of the things my boss used to note for new hires was whether a candidate knew "how to talk." Candidates needed to be easygoing and fun and interesting without forcing it, without saying weird things to clients for no reason because they get too comfortable. It's truly a learned skill and talent has very little to do with it. It was the difference between someone who spends all day in an office crunching work and someone who is out there interacting with clients, someone you can leave alone with a client and not worry. I knew some truly stunning sound effects editors, brilliant minds, who you just would never send into a room with a client. You'd keep them hidden away because they would just not work out in that social place, they'd blurt out something dumb or come across as creepy or not take feedback well, etc.

I think, simply put, Lexxy doesn't know how to talk. I don't think she's arrogant, I don't think she's a bad person or anything like that. She certainly is able to negotiate a lot of stuff for her business. I don't want to speculate, but maybe a majority of her work communication is online? In person it's a whole other ballgame. She tries really hard to be sociable, she does everything right, she's polite and intelligent and honest and makes jokes and is totally a geek, but it's like Anne Hathaway - you do everything right, you do everything people ask of you, you're clearly talented and capable, but there's that special sauce missing that keeps you from being liked by people, that keeps all the pieces from adding up.

In the Twitter episode I saw it immediately. There was a clear moment where she just needed to shut up and let Kurtz say his thing. Not because Kurtz was right, but because the others were watching - and sure enough the more it kept going the more it became a trainwreck I could see coming a mile away. Sometimes you just have to nod, say okay, and move on and not win. And after that disaster and the comeback, she tried too hard to present a specific type of Lexxy she wanted to present, but it was a lot more effort for her than for others. You'd have to be an AMAZINGLY astute political thinker to navigate that minefield. You'd have to have Katie's gentle humility with Abby's self-effacing humor and Maki's warmth all wrapped in one to get out of that alive. All Lexxy has is pure artistic talent. That's not going to get people to like you. And so she succeeded at being respected for her talent as an artist - nothing more.

I actually really feel for the Lexxy projected on this show - I've seen some truly nice people who I like a lot completely bomb the film industry because of personality issues like this. And it's not even an "ISSUE" - there's nothing WRONG with not having all the answers of how to be a politically minded person, without having natural charm or wit. But it's just kind of sad that the world is like that, that so many businesses, whether Penny Arcade or Universal Studios or wherever, success depends less on your abilities and more on your demeanor. Not everyone is cut out for that world.

I hope her comic is a tremendous success.

tastydonutsparmeisanhotzppiersnica
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    I did find the "What will you do without the financial bump?" question a bit ironic since Lexxy's Kickstarter and subsequent PayPal drive netted her several times the actual prize for winning Strip Search. I think it's almost to her advantage, the way it worked out, though. Cloud Factory does not look like a 3-times-a-week 3-panel strip to me. That shit takes time and space.

Just look at today's comic: Lexxy's stories need room to breathe and time to take shape. The closer you get to what she's the best at, the farther you get from the "intent" of Strip Search as we've been given to understand it. I thought the Oz thing was funnier than Mike and Jerry gave it credit for, but as Lexxy herself said, it wasn't Dino Rollers. It certainly wasn't cat-surgery. But as Mike said, if this was a contest for who could produce the best art or the most complex pieces, she'd have won it six weeks ago.

hotzpA Concerned CitizenGamercowTwoflowerPuddingpie
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well, live by the non-funny comic, die by the non-funny comic, I guess. If non-funny comics won, Lexxy likely wouldn't even have made it this far because Monica would have beaten her. This was, like she said, 'I don't have anything funny, so let's just get something on the paper and see what happens'. Maki's comic, I got a chuckle out of, but I noticed it was really easy to read prematurely over the course of the creation period. I wonder if that might have had any effect on anyone's reaction to it.

Mike and Jerry are right, Lexxy: you reached a point throughout the course of the season to where you didn't even need to win anymore. You pretty much outpaced any prize you could have gotten from them that you weren't getting already. $83K beats the hell out of $15K, and they know where to find you if they have anything they could use you for. Basically the only difference between you winning and you coming in fourth is three time zones. You got the money, you got the time, you got the fans, nothing left to do but do it and I know you're more than capable of that.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Lamp
  • zegotazegota Registered User regular
    Mike and Jerry are right. Comics need to be funny, like Lookouts and Automata.

• endikuendiku Registered User regular
    When I heard Lexxy say a comic didn't have to be funny, after hearing Jerry and Mike judge every comic almost on that factor alone, I knew it wasn't looking good.

As cool as her rough sketchy style is to look at, I thought this was her weakest comic out of the three. It might be the most pretty to look at, but the story of it was too vague on the big picture and too detailed on the fine points. A Lollipop Crusade is just too lengthy of an idea to fit into a short comic.

Maki's idea was the right length for a comic, but I didn't find it that great either. I get the concept of the Rapture, but I felt like his last panel was a big cop out and his intro panel isn't really anything either. Once again Maki won with only 2 real panels of content. As slow as Lexxy is, Maki is the slowest of everyone on the show. I don't see how he can match Abby or Katie who both can output a ton of amazing content.

Sadly, this was a big let down for the playoffs. Everyone now being a veteran winner should have been more of an epic battle.

The subject matter wasn't an easy one, but you have to play with the conditions you are presented.

• Anana11Anana11 Registered User regular
    Good ep with lots of laughs (not many in the comic strips, but oh, well. C'est la vie). I agreed with the decision, even though I'm a fan of Lexxy's loose "90 min" style. I suspected she wouldn't win when she struggled to find an idea in the beginning. Still, way to bring it, Lexxy. I think you'll find much success with graphic novels and look forward to seeing what Cloud Factory brings.

I think this is a good example of when the Redraw Ticket was used to good effect. As I said, the jokes that were actually used were lackluster, but the juxtaposition of something serious and something silly is usually comedy gold. "The City" was really lame.

While I'd love for Katie to win, I really think she's going to have to be bringing her A game to take down the comedy queen, Abby. Maki, I think you're an awesome guy, but... good luck!

Will this be the last of the Trash Lexxy Brigade? I'm not sure. "Haters gonna hate."

And Maki - Loved the prefix "Spoilers!" on "It means nothing!" Hilarious!

A Concerned Citizen
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    zegota wrote: »
    Mike and Jerry are right. Comics need to be funny, like Lookouts and Automata.

That's why Lookouts and Automata are the main focus of this site rather than occasional side projects that deliberately subvert the usual content.

Oh wait.

Goose!RicciardiVFXPsykomaTwoflowergeekymoxie
  • kotakota Registered User new member
    There should have been parents overlooking their kid playing out the action in the final strip of Lexxy's comic (ala Calvin & Hobbes). One of them could have asked if they [the parents] should be worried. Then it would have earned seven and a half chuckles.

A Concerned Citizen
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Spman2099 wrote: »
    Well, Lexxy's comic wasn't super strong. Still, I think it was considerably better than Maki's. However, you know how these things are; super subjective. Also, I like Maki, so it doesn't hurt that he won. Lastly, it is nice that all those people who talked about how Penny Arcade "conspired" to have Lexxy win this competition have been definitively proven wrong and silly.

That's always been a strawman. Sure, you could find some people who opined it. But the thornier issue is whether their relationship with her colored their decisions. And an elimination certainly relieves the pressure, but it doesn't settle the issue.

Yasmine TeethKnytestorme
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Spman2099 wrote: »
    Well, Lexxy's comic wasn't super strong. Still, I think it was considerably better than Maki's. However, you know how these things are; super subjective. Also, I like Maki, so it doesn't hurt that he won. Lastly, it is nice that all those people who talked about how Penny Arcade "conspired" to have Lexxy win this competition have been definitively proven wrong and silly.

That's always been a strawman. Sure, you could find some people who opined it. But the thornier issue is whether their relationship with her colored their decisions. And an elimination certainly relieves the pressure, but it doesn't settle the issue.

And at what point would this "issue" be settled? Are they to never hire or do anything with her again for all times ever? Really, help me out here.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    shoeboxjeddyPuddingpie
  • HiltonLangeHiltonLange Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    OBSERVATION:
    There was no return to house scene!

SPECULATION:
    Abby and Katy are at the elimination location. Lunchtime, and then time for *final elimination*

Go Abby!

edit: OK, so apparently Khoo is looking for a venue for live finals on June 18th. So that's 3 more episodes away. So I guess it's final 2, not final 3. I take it all back!

HiltonLange on
    GethA Concerned CitizenPuddingpie
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    It is true that Lexxy has not yet proven herself to be capable of producing a lengthy comic narrative which is up to her own standards - however, I look forward to seeing her do so. Lexxy clearly knows what it's like to have to work hard on art all day and I think therefore that she can do this. I expect that even if she doesn't finish it within the year or so that Kickstarter has funded, she will be close enough that she can do whatever it takes to eke out the rest. And that's assuming that she makes a negligible amount money off of shirts and stuff which is, after all, the typical way to make money off of a webcomic before the first book is printed.

• parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Now: Katie vs Maki plz, and the winner against Abby. Make it happen, Strip Search!

Strato
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    I love the work of all the candidates, but throughout, I've had a favourite.

So, in the first few episodes, Katie was my favourite, because I loved how lovely and friendly she was. She's remained my favourite because of her awesome skills in many of the challenges, and how nice she is to everyone.

Then Maki wormed his way into my heart with his antics, and his clearly taking things less seriously than everyone else. When we had the confessionals of "I think x is a real contender." "I'm going to work hard to do as well as I can." "I'm worried about Y because they seem really strong." "I think I need to work on my beard strategy." - I knew that I loved Maki as a contestant. Moments like the pineapple drink, humble pie and obam-shit just added to this, and Maki is my favourite candidate at the times when Katie isn't my favourite candidate.

Abby I didn't rate very highly early on. I thought the T-shirt design she threw out was the weakest of the set, and I didn't really see any art from her that blew me away following that. Then her two comics hit my funny-spot like a laser-guided missile being ridden by seeing-eye dogs. Following both eliminations, Abby has been my favourite candidate.

I officially no longer have any investment in who wins, you're all my favourite now. I will think the result is super-awesome regardless of who wins.

Lexy, while you weren't my favourite for this show, I still love your stuff. I think this kind of format was a different direction from what you want to do, and that was quite the handicap. However what you want to do looks awesome, and I hope it's successful. Best of luck for the future.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    A Concerned CitizenAnana11makitori
  • WordLustWordLust Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Remember at the very start of the show, before anyone had been eliminated, when the audience voted in the poll for who they predicted would win based on the intro videos? I was one of five people who voted for Maki.

*tear*

I never doubted that beautiful beard.

WordLust on
    LexxySvenne345zerzhul
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Also, if anyone read my theory at the very end of last episode's thread, based on the "next time on Strip Search" preview you could (kinda sorta) suss out that Mike was critiquing the longer (vertical) comic between the two, making it reasonable to guess that it was going to lose. And in fact there were several clues in that "next time" preview that seemed to indicate that the vertical comic was Maki's. Funny how totally wrong that turned out to be.

Lamp on
    loflo
  • AnnaAnna Registered User regular
    MTeson wrote: »
    I think, simply put, Lexxy doesn't know how to talk. I don't think she's arrogant, I don't think she's a bad person or anything like that. She certainly is able to negotiate a lot of stuff for her business. I don't want to speculate, but maybe a majority of her work communication is online? In person it's a whole other ballgame. She tries really hard to be sociable, she does everything right, she's polite and intelligent and honest and makes jokes and is totally a geek, but it's like Anne Hathaway - you do everything right, you do everything people ask of you, you're clearly talented and capable, but there's that special sauce missing that keeps you from being liked by people, that keeps all the pieces from adding up.

I like her, so I guess I'm not a "people".

Here's a simpler theory: this is a reality show. We had been conditioned to look for (mostly imaginary) flaws in reality show contestants we favored less than others. We are not used to this kind of show (with complete lack of designated bastard/bitch) but we still try our damnedest to nit-pick. Lexxy is a convenient target; I don't think it's a coincidence that the amount of Lexxy-hate dramatically rose after the resurrection thingy. Before that, I'm pretty sure that there's a roughly equal share of hate for everyone (I've seen Maki being called "smug bastard", Abby "super annoying", Amy "ridiculously insecure", etc. in the first few episodes).

This rankled me in particular, because I have a brother who was in a reality show before, and I can say that its goddamn annoying to see a group of strangers (who don't know him personally) cherry-picked "facts" and made behavioral essay about him . We never really know these guys in the show, people. For instance, I adore Katie and am inspired by her demeanor as shown in SS; but for all I know, in real life she might be an evil dominatrix who likes to bitch-slap people who don't bring her tea fast enough.

I'm sure that every single one of SS contestants have something that they could improve personality-wise (as do all of us!), but we, as the audience with eternally incomplete information, are not exactly qualified to psycho-analyze them. Just..stop judging people based on a bunch of edited and contextual snippets. If you have to, focus on the positives.

LampRuby RhodKilliKazitronInkstain82shoeboxjeddyAngry_SamoanOckhamsFollylofloPuddingpie
  • YllanesYllanes Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I think Maki's comic would have been hilarious if in the third panel one of the kids was left behind, with a sad look on his face.

Still, it also worked for me in its original form: "This candy is so good, not only does it get sinners into Heaven, even the candy itself gets raptured".

Yllanes on
    SlothboyTeeSeaJayStratothouisA Concerned CitizenPuddingpie
  • Svenne345Svenne345 Treasure Hider Registered User regular
    So it is true... Funny wins.

tastydonuts
  • SlothboySlothboy Registered User regular
    I am constantly astonished by the AMAZING artwork that Lexxy is able to produce in a very short time. Her style and voice will definitely have an audience going forward, but in this case Maki's was definitely closer to what Mike and Jerry would normally gravitate towards.

This is such a weird reality show. There are no villains, everyone is awesome, and even when I have a favorite of the two at the elimination I'm still never "happy" to see the other one go, like I might be with some other reality show.

I hope this turns into a regular thing. It's so incredibly fun and positive that it deserves a life beyond this first season.

KilliAnana11HanClintoA Concerned Citizen
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Maki is the secret master of sneakily not having to draw any more art for the third panel. :)

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    parmeisanA Concerned Citizen
  • myamitoremyamitore Registered User new member
    Lexxy is a fantastic artist, but I think Mike and Jerry made the right decision. Go team Maki!

• SlothboySlothboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    /reading comments:

Wait, people didn't get the Oz reference? How do you read about munchkin land and not connect it to Oz?

Also: I like Jesus and I still laughed at Maki's comic. Like anything else, you have to have a sense of humor about your beliefs. I think people get offended too easily (not just Christians, every group is guilty) and humor is a much better default position.

ALSO ALSO: I don't think the product in Maki's comic is Cereal. It's in a Jar. Who sells cereal in jars? Just because you pour a snack into a bowl it isn't automatically cereal. My bowl of M&M's takes issue with that.

Slothboy on
    A Concerned CitizengeekymoxieSpiritfirePuddingpie
  • ManabouttimeManabouttime Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

Manabouttime on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Clearly the mistake everyone is making is trying to produce quality artwork at all. We already know that flat sloppy line work can beat much more skilled drawings. Artwork has carried little or no weight in all elimination decisions, so maybe they should all stick to XKCD style stick figures and concentrate entirely on the joke.

Tell me more about how XKCD isn't affected by the stylistic medium it was created in!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Inkstain82
  • FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Manabouttime, there's no reason to hate on the other artists. Check out their work before you judge. Tavis already has two Konamis books out and he didn't even need a kickstarter to do it.

I am a proud owner of both, looking forward to Volume 3 and hope he gets his Stranger Danger strips together for a book.

FrodoLives on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Anna wrote: »
    MTeson wrote: »

I like her, so I guess I'm not a "people".

Here's a simpler theory: this is a reality show. We had been conditioned to look for (mostly imaginary) flaws in reality show contestants we favored less than others. We are not used to this kind of show (with complete lack of designated bastard/bitch) but we still try our damnedest to nit-pick. Lexxy is a convenient target; I don't think it's a coincidence that the amount of Lexxy-hate dramatically rose after the resurrection thingy. Before that, I'm pretty sure that there's a roughly equal share of hate for everyone (I've seen Maki being called "smug bastard", Abby "super annoying", Amy "ridiculously insecure", etc. in the first few episodes).

This rankled me in particular, because I have a brother who was in a reality show before, and I can say that its goddamn annoying to see a group of strangers (who don't know him personally) cherry-picked "facts" and made behavioral essay about him . We never really know these guys in the show, people. For instance, I adore Katie and am inspired by her demeanor as shown in SS; but for all I know, in real life she might be an evil dominatrix who likes to bitch-slap people who don't bring her tea fast enough.

I'm sure that every single one of SS contestants have something that they could improve personality-wise (as do all of us!), but we, as the audience with eternally incomplete information, are not exactly qualified to psycho-analyze them. Just..stop judging people based on a bunch of edited and contextual snippets. If you have to, focus on the positives.

I like Lexxy too, and I can agree with you that people shouldn't really harp on negative aspects of people, but the expectation that people won't make assumptions based off what they see is kind of unrealistic... you're asking people to never gossip. That's not going to happen. Reality tv shows just give us a different group of people to gossip about; a group of people who voluntarily put themselves in that position.

IRL, there are people who only see me for a few moments, or that I only interact with for a few moments, and as a result of those few moments they make conclusions about who I am and my personality. The only difference being that real life is the editor of what they see.

Unfortunately, for some people these things seem to skew their opinion to the negative, even if they aren't necessarily negative things that you're doing. This isn't to say that some people aren't being geese about it, but his post was anything but that. He made a pretty valid point: even if you're absolutely certain you are right (I think she was), sometimes you have to concede...

And it does kinda suck that even though there aren't any real negative things about Lexxy from what I can see, people are just going to interpret stuff negatively for whatever reasons. Happens to her, your brother, you, me and a lot of other people. Haters are going to hate. :P

edit: tbf I don't know who your brother was or how he acted on the show, so... maaaaaybe it was warranted?. :P

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Slothboy wrote: »
    Wait, people didn't get the Oz reference? How do you read about munchkin land and not connect it to Oz?
    Personally, because I know close to nothing about Oz.

EC0T4r7.pngoW9G6G8.png
    tastydonutsKathleen_LRRTeeSeaJayKazitron
  • StericaSterica Registered User, Moderator mod
    Clearly the mistake everyone is making is trying to produce quality artwork at all. We already know that flat sloppy line work can beat much more skilled drawings. Artwork has carried little or no weight in all elimination decisions, so maybe they should all stick to XKCD style stick figures and concentrate entirely on the joke.
    The contestants have been thoroughly vetted, so I think Mike and Jerry are well aware that each of them are competent artists. What's harder to suss out is their ability to come up with jokes in a timely manner that also go well with the PA brand.

YL9WnCY.png
    parmeisanA Concerned Citizen