Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #9

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    "The City" is, for me here in the UK at least, a topic with two meanings. It can mean "a built up area" but it can also mean "the specific financial institutions in London" - which gives you some additional exciting cues on top of tower blocks and Starbucks.

I'd really really like to see a published list of all the words in the basket - this format is wonderful for me, and breaks up my normal comic routine, and I can see myself continuing with "wastebasket comics" long into the future. At least until I find I'm lost.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    With all this talk about Lexxy, we're forgetting the most important part of this:

MA-KI!! MA-KI!! MA-KI!!

PAX Prime '07, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18
    PAX South '15
    PAX East '16, '17
  • FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    "not_tavis's_father / 6:49AM
    Although both artists are immensely talented, I don't think either strip was worthy of staying in the competition at this point. If only there were some precedence for going to the hotel and bringing someone back who was previously outed. Perhaps a person with a beard. And a wife. And a son. And a new baby girl. Oh well, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd have Christmas all year long. Congratulations Maki. The scarf is definitely erotic."

YES! Bring Tavis Back! We can keep Strip Search going. I'd love to see a Maki/Tavis competition.

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    If we were to see another resurrection, surely it would have to be Monica. That dinosaur strip has got to be the best eliminated strip in the series...

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    parmeisan
  • FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    OK, let's bring Monica AND Tavis back.

Pavioparmeisan
  • MichaellaneMichaellane Registered User regular
    Maki's comic made me grin. Lexxy's made me go back and read it a second time. Still no reaction. Was a good call on the part of the judges.

• MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    foo wrote: »
    Continuing off of @MontyRohde's earlier post:

YJE50mZ.png

My thought is that they brought Lexxy back from the dead and then finished her off with a chainsaw. Its such a beautiful touch its almost poetry. The zombie analogy has been brought full circle.

parmeisanLampHanClintomiaAusa
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular

Farewell, Lexxy. You said that a comic doesn't have to be funny, and I agree. I didn't think any of your comics were funny, but the art was excellent, and as a result I really enjoyed all three of them.

I've made no secret of my dislike for Lexxy throughout this series. There's no question that she's got talent-- of all the artists in the house, she may be the most talented, if not second to Katie. But why does she want to win Strip Search? By now, we've learned the answer, not only from Lexxy but from each of the other artists.

Abby's got something to prove
    Tavis wants to inspire his family
    Katie has always wanted to be a cartoonist
    Monica cares more about her art than anything else

Lexxy's answer to this question is that she has stories that she wants to tell, but she's so busy being successful that she can't spare the time. Well, that's a fair answer, but there's no passion in it. And that's been my problem with Lexxy all along-- the thing that she seems to care about is not her art, not her creativity, but her image. Were she not surrounded by incredible artists who put their art first and themselves second, I might have less of a problem with Lexxy; but as it is, I'm glad to see her go. She may have been the best artist in the house, but she didn't deserve to be there.

If Lexxy ever comes out with a regular comic that is clearly a passion project, then I'll happily eat my words and count myself among her fans. Until that happens, I'll continue to be disappointed that someone with so much talent is more interested in crafting excuses than stories.

Yasmine TeethCambiata
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    edited June 2013
    Better save room on July 1st then. Wouldn't want you to spoil your appetite.

Lexxy on
    elgrecosaurusnavinieaSejarkinhainesNijhazerBRASKYthatSOBfullofgraceKid PresentableLampdejavu,againruzkinInkstain82HanClintofightinfilipinoiltaTriggerhappy938A Concerned CitizenAngry_SamoanSpiffy McBangWeaselsoupWeedLordVegetaahdoktynicYllanesDVG101jebrexLavidiusMKF36EMTesonSassoriEricslamelama22Ruby Rhod
  • elgrecosauruselgrecosaurus Registered User regular
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    V

• Yasmine TeethYasmine Teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I think the important thing about this particular thought is that when it comes to old print comics, they could be utterly atrocious but they'd still get printed. You'd have strips that wandered from point A to point B and left the reader wondering "What was the point?" with the reality there was none. This isn't to say what was listed are bad, but getting a comic strip published in the 'old days' was about pleasing newspaper editors as opposed to pleasing an actual audience.

Reality is and was the complete opposite of what you just said. It kinda sounds like you aren't really educated on the history of the comic strip medium, particularly since you weren't willing to commit to whether or not the classic comic strips named were good or bad. True, there were many problems with the newspaper comic strip -- editors had to censor work that might offend their readership and franchises well past their sell-by date went on forever for various reasons. But the essential fact is that pleasing an editor is a barrier to entry to low-quality work. Web comics can be the worst pieces of garbage in existence and no one can stop them from being published to the web, because there is no standard of quality for publication. Comics could not be "utterly atrocious and still get printed" widely in newspapers. That's web comics you're thinking of.

Yasmine Teeth on
    Comics don't have to be funny, but you do have to tell a story. With 90 minutes and two random words your only real option is to deliver a joke, because coming up with and executing a good story in that time frame is exceedingly difficult. Gags are much easier to come up with.

• mri80mri80 Registered User regular
    Do I think Lexxy's style of comics or humor are a good match with Penny Arcade? Nope. I still love it anyways, and obviously plenty more people do.

To everyone that keeps bringing up Robert Khoo's "complaint" about Lexxy: he had just met her and as a potential employee at that. After that he has hired her to do stuff for PA (she has PA listed as a client on her website). If anybody thinks that PA will be hiring someone they don't like AND allowing someone they don't like to participate in a contest to _work_ with them for a year … well…

They've made such a good hearted reality show, it's everything every other reality show isn't and I love it. I specially enjoy it when Mike and Jerry jump in the car and say such encouraging things to everyone and they go from being sad about leaving to just … well, you've all seen it. So, stop spoiling it in the comments!

(I will now proceed to judge, critize and hate random people based on a few sentences they've written on a post)

Kid PresentableLamplofloPuddingpie
  • coltclassiccoltclassic Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for Abby to give Mike back a pen he lent her in confidence so he can turn around and give her the factory a la Willy Wonka

• ManabouttimeManabouttime Registered User regular
    If Abby wins this, I will fully admit that I know nothing about comics.

FrodoLives
  • dejavu,againdejavu,again Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    I've given my wrist a thorough workout today, and managed to do this in time. If you count saving the image file and uploading it to the internet, I ran over time.

2013-06-04-323twixmas.jpg

Funtimes note. The physical original for this (and I haven't rescaled anything, so most of the page is the outline of that paper for the text) was A5. That means it appears on my monitor at approximately three-times its real size.

Funtimes note 2. Our mouths in panel 2 are white because they are full of marshmallow. NOT because I forgot to colour them and had no time to doublecheck. The character in panel 4 also has white eyes because he has an unusual genetic makeup.

Serious question. How the hell do you people function without Blu-tack?

Funtimes note 3. I've just remembered that in this particular house, at this particular time, there was no washing machine, because the old one broke, and the people living there hadn't bought a new one yet. Instead, where the washing-machine was supposed to be (in the kitchen where this scene took place) there was a 3ft tall inflatable spinosaurus that everyone called "the washing machine."

Ohhhh, that's why I never saw Blu-tack again after we moved from England. I always just assumed my parents stopped buying it because it was the most useless, frustrating shite since glue sticks or old scotch tape.

But those, at least, never resulted in torn posters.
    Serious question. How the hell do you people function without Blu-tack?

MUCH BETTER THAN I USED TO, thank you very much.

Those poor posters ;_;

• KalynarKalynar Registered User regular
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    And that's been my problem with Lexxy all along-- the thing that she seems to care about is not her art, not her creativity, but her image. Were she not surrounded by incredible artists who put their art first and themselves second, I might have less of a problem with Lexxy; but as it is, I'm glad to see her go

Yep, that's why she quit her safe 9-5 type job in an uncertain economy to produce freelance digital content. Super duper safe and not passionate at all about creating art. What a jerk. How dare she pretend to do fantastic artwork for money, when so many other people could be getting paid instead.

But seriously, do you see how that makes you sound? It's a dumb argument on the surface. Do you think anyone applied to Strip Search for their image?

Anyway, I totally laughed at Maki's comic. Jheezy Chreezies are hilarious, and that lance of longinus wound is a perfect detail. Though, if Lexxy had gone with the final panel cuteness trope of pudgy short lollipop guys bonking sugarplum fairies on the head and they had the x'd eyes and went "oof", she likely would've trumped it. Doesn't matter either way, because Abby's gonna destroy everyone with awesomeness. :D

My hands! My horrible human hands!
    monkeysigye5.jpg
    A Concerned CitizenPuddingpie
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »
    Better save room on July 1st then. Wouldn't want you to spoil your appetite.

HEADSHOT.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    DVG
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    MTeson wrote: »
    I don't think it's this. Commence total speculation and inaccurate judgment, but it's something more complicated than "people don't like her because she's confident." People liked Amy and Amy was confident.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

MTeson sez we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Cambiata on
    chrisfriedAzaminoElbasunulofloAnana11
  • elheberelheber Registered User regular
    I feel like Lexxy's biggest personal hurdle (at the time of filming) on her track to her dream life isn't time; it's her need for security. Her refusal to quit her day job because perhaps she isn't sure she could gather enough fans to keep her fed, clothed, and sheltered. Or some other similar fear that is preventing her from diving headfirst into the water without first dipping her toes, feet, knees, and finally svelte waist to acclimate.

And I understand we all need that security. And we all have that fear. But the vast majority of us sure as hell don't have that talent. Lexxy's in one of those gifted life points which the successful recount as, "getting fired for shitting on my boss's desk was the best thing that ever happened to me." Giving up a very fulfilling career that demands creativity is certainly a lot harder than giving up a job selling computers, making that plunge all the more difficult for Lexxy. I do not envy her dilemma. No... no-- I do. I totally fucking do. I am photosynthesizing sunlight, I'm so fucking green here.

It can't be stressed enough that this is my opinion of what I saw of Lexxy on this show; not taking into account the Kickstarter campaign and all the other recent happenings and fan explosion. I know she's at least neck deep in that water now.

I wish you the best of luck, Lexxy.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Anatole wrote: »
    Does Lexxy have some kind of internet anti-fandom that burbles up whenever she's on the show? I hadn't heard of any of these people before SS except Erika, and the trolling started well before the double-elim, so I can only assume it's something outside of SS. Amy at least had some (rather mild) metagaming going on before people pronounced her History's Greatest Monster but I'm completely lost on the Lexxy thing.

It was originally directed at Mike and Jerry, but it only really kicked up on Lexxy's end after Amy, the first "villain", left. Okay, who else can we hate around here? Oh, yeah, they brought back someone who they'd previously eliminated! THIS IS CLEARLY HER FAULT NOW! BURN HER!

A couple even briefly decided to go after Tavis for, as far as I can gather, being the guy that beat Lexxy when clearly she should have won that Thunderdome in the first place. That line got squashed in a hurry.

Haters gonna hate.

This. I even made a prediction post about it on the thread where Amy was eliminated. Probably it has something to do with other reality TV shows creating deliberate villains, but people have come to expect that now and if there actually isn't anyone remotely villainous then it seems the audience must make one up.

I'm curious as to who will be the next manufactured villain, or if there's simply not enough time left for the haters to construct one. Will it be Katie, for winning too much? Abby, for being young and/or too funny (or both?)? Maki for beardwallitude? We'll find out soon!

loflo
  • elheberelheber Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Lexxy's comic was a hard jab a Catholicism and Christianity. Likening the Crusades to wars over candy. Very contentious, Lexxy. Contentious as a motherfucker. Not to mention you turned the Muslims into evil pagan witches in the comic, going for a taboo trifecta. You're taking on ALL organized religion with your strip.

Maki's strip is a political correctness PSA in comparison.

EDIT: As I read this back, I realized it almost reads like negative criticism. It isn't. I think it's good to shake the chocolate milk once in a while.

elheber on
  • KalynarKalynar Registered User regular
    elheber wrote: »
    I feel like Lexxy's biggest personal hurdle (at the time of filming) on her track to her dream life isn't time; it's her need for security. Her refusal to quit her day job because perhaps she isn't sure she could gather enough fans to keep her fed, clothed, and sheltered. Or some other similar fear that is preventing her from diving headfirst into the water without first dipping her toes, feet, knees, and finally svelte waist to acclimate.

And I understand we all need that security. And we all have that fear. But the vast majority of us sure as hell don't have that talent. Lexxy's in one of those gifted life points which the successful recount as, "getting fired for shitting on my boss's desk was the best thing that ever happened to me." Giving up a very fulfilling career that demands creativity is certainly a lot harder than giving up a job selling computers, making that plunge all the more difficult for Lexxy. I do not envy her dilemma. No... no-- I do. I totally fucking do. I am photosynthesizing sunlight, I'm so fucking green here.

It can't be stressed enough that this is my opinion of what I saw of Lexxy on this show; not taking into account the Kickstarter campaign and all the other recent happenings and fan explosion. I know she's at least neck deep in that water now.

I wish you the best of luck, Lexxy.

From http://www.penny-arcade.com/strip-search/artist/ldouglass
    Relevant quote: " After the “New Hire” episodes ran, she quit her job and set up shop as a contract artist"
    The PATV Episode New Hire aired in 2010, I think around July, not sure.
    As I said above, that's not the 'security' decision, that's the passion and drive decision. I base this statement on the 2010 economy still in a recovery status from the massive 2008 recession. Even now very few people would risk loss of a steady, known revenue stream for freelance work.

I really wish you guys could hate on someone else, so I could use logic and facts to refute those arguments too. It's not about who you're picking on, it's about not being a jerk and making arguments based off of Truthiness. Sorry Colbert. Though Maki could probably scientifically beardslam anyone who needed it. I can't imagine anyone picking on Katie coming out alive. “Though she be but little, she is fierce!” I'm also fairly certain if Abby turned the laser whips of sarcasm onto you, that the flesh would be rent from your bones.

My hands! My horrible human hands!
    monkeysigye5.jpg
    enderandrewPuddingpie
    edited June 2013
    Cambiata wrote: »

This. I even made a prediction post about it on the thread where Amy was eliminated. Probably it has something to do with other reality TV shows creating deliberate villains, but people have come to expect that now and if there actually isn't anyone remotely villainous then it seems the audience must make one up.

I'm curious as to who will be the next manufactured villain, or if there's simply not enough time left for the haters to construct one. Will it be Katie, for winning too much? Abby, for being young and/or too funny (or both?)? Maki for beardwallitude? We'll find out soon!

Maki is my next target because only the weak hide behind beardwalls.

MontyRohde on
    Cambiata
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Lexxy was right; a webcomic doesn't have to be funny. Mike was also right; a comic strip made by a cartoonist (which is the jargon they use in this show) probably should be funny. Webcomics take a number of forms, and not all of them comic strips. Some are much closer to actual comic books, and if that is what Lexxy ends up producing, she will probably be very successful.

The problem with Lexxy's elimination comic was that it wasn't funny, but it made you think it was going to be. Each panel got more and more ridiculous, and I thought they were leading up to a big payoff. In the end, however, it was just "Fight!" I was actually disappointed that there was no joke, and not because I am on Team Mike, but because the first few panels strongly suggested that there would be one.

Maki's strip wasn't bad, but of the three remaining contestants, both Maki and Katie have disappointed Mike and Jerry on some level. Abby, on the other hand, has slayed them every time. I hope this contest goes where I think it's going.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    mackmantapeslingerPuddingpie
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Kalynar wrote: »
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    And that's been my problem with Lexxy all along-- the thing that she seems to care about is not her art, not her creativity, but her image. Were she not surrounded by incredible artists who put their art first and themselves second, I might have less of a problem with Lexxy; but as it is, I'm glad to see her go

Yep, that's why she quit her safe 9-5 type job in an uncertain economy to produce freelance digital content. Super duper safe and not passionate at all about creating art. What a jerk. How dare she pretend to do fantastic artwork for money, when so many other people could be getting paid instead.

But seriously, do you see how that makes you sound? It's a dumb argument on the surface. Do you think anyone applied to Strip Search for their image?

Anyway, I totally laughed at Maki's comic. Jheezy Chreezies are hilarious, and that lance of longinus wound is a perfect detail. Though, if Lexxy had gone with the final panel cuteness trope of pudgy short lollipop guys bonking sugarplum fairies on the head and they had the x'd eyes and went "oof", she likely would've trumped it. Doesn't matter either way, because Abby's gonna destroy everyone with awesomeness. :D

Nick.

Twenty Sided on
  • Triggerhappy938Triggerhappy938 Registered User regular
    So, by Mike's logic, would the original one offs of Automata and The Lookouts not be comic strips? Or would they be bad comic strips?

DaWeaves98Cambiata
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    Anyone who thinks Lexxy has gotten to where she is as an artist by being "full of excuses" is just stupid. The people who are full of excuses are the ones who say "gee, I wish I was that talented" but aren't willing to do anything about it.

AzaminoA Concerned CitizenCambiataAngry_SamoanlofloTomantaBuchoRuby Rhod
  • DaWeaves98DaWeaves98 Registered User new member
    @Triggerhappy938 I was thinking the same thing as you. PA has done plenty of serious comics, and series of those comics. Their news posts have even talked about how they think those are some of their best comics with the best art. So, I think saying that the comic has to have a joke is kind of Bullshit.

I think they should have looked at it and said, look she can do these awesome comics that are fun and whimsical and she can also do these other comics that are artistic and high-concept.

I didn't think either one was spectacular, but I felt Lexxy's was the better comic. Maki's just wasn't that funny. And, it was inaccurate. Why would Jesus rapture the sinners???

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Mike might not have done them in a 90 minute challenge given 'robot' and 'detective', or 'forest' and 'children'. Jim Darkmagic's one-off, meanwhile, may very well be what he'd have gone with for 'magic' and 'performance'.

It ought to be noted, though, that Monica was the first one to even attempt a non-humorous comic, when nobody saw it coming out of her of all people (even the people with serious strips made an attempt at humor), and this is two days later. So this is still pretty new ground in the context when it happened. Now, six months later, we're all cognizant of the fact that someone might go that direction and that it's something that needs to be watched for in Season 2.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • KnytestormeKnytestorme Registered User regular
    Lexxy's was better. By far. The 1st panel was where the punchline began; the whole strip was a punchline. The punchline was funnier than Maki's just not in the run-of-the-mill place. I guess that's what caused another declaration of "high concept"... a simple label to slap on to anything that doesn't follow formula.

And Lexxy's art was excellent as well.

I don't see how Lexxy's was funny. All it seemed to be to me was a battle scene between some Templars and wood dryads where she changed the names to sound like a candy-based Monty Python sketch but didn't actually take it anywhere past that. Based on her comments about the contract work she's done it also seemed that she was falling back on things she might have already drawn before.

I don't think Maki's was too strong but it at least made me laugh and seemed to fit with how I picture things when thinking of a comic strip in terms of layout. Look at PA, yes they do the "high-concept" large layout pieces but a lot less often than they do three-panel gagged based strips and I think that's the correct formula for most single-serve strips.

That said, I think that having religion and the city wasn't too bad as you could base something around the swiss guard protecting the pop in Vatican but when candy came out it was the first time I got an instant idea....very low brow involving a priest, a van and a free candy sign but at least I felt I could have had a chance if i were competing, and could draw even a stick figure :)

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Somebody mentioned this. I probably mentioned that somebody mentioned this.
    There still totally needs to be a celebrity edition of Strip Search. Known webcomic artists face off in eliminations.
    Make Mike swallow bitter pills.

Plus I want to see the likes of Christopher Hastings, Karl Keshchl, Nicholas Gurewitch, Phil Foglio, Kate Beaton and the like butt heads.

Twenty Sided on
    miaAusaTofystedethLampPuddingpieT-bolt
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    i was hoping major stars would go at it like andrew hussie or ryan north, that would make strip search epic, Kate Beaton would be awesome too, even seeing scott kurtz or kris strub go at it would be intersting and many others in great comics, r stevens, mega tokyo people, so many others!!!!!! They got to have that, or me, seeing as I am the biggest star : ) I am going to form a #teamGamerDater for the next Strip Search Starting now to get on, hehe : D

• Add in CanadiaAdd in Canadia Registered User regular
    @Yasmine Teeth

You're confusing the ability to create a comic with it's relative success. With old print newspapers how were they panned for space? Authors of comic strips would pitch their comic at countless newspapers and hope against hope that it would get printed. But how was success gauged? There was no standard for that past the editors of the newspaper who would look them over and say "No one's going to be offended." Which mean that yes awful comics have been printed on newspapers, more than you perhaps care to admit. There's a lot of talking head comics that have no real point to them, they're just there because it's 'safe to print.'

With the internet yes there are thousands of web comics, a lot of garbage ones, but also a lot of good ones; but when you pan and shake it all out what do you get? You get the humor based comics that rise to the top that get the readership to be successful. There's a lot of well drawn 'epics' that get the fraction of what the 'funnies' get, and that's the nature of the market. Hell there's even well-drawn and well-written comics that also languish in obscurity, but in the end the Internet is about the lulz. Or in simpler terms it's all about the memes.

You can setup whatever kind of high concept standard you want for comics, but that's not indicative of what makes comics successful on the Internet. Of what successful 'serious' comics I've seen, they've all been birthed from an initial readership accumulation through a joke/humor based comic, and it's that author's writing skills being turned from humor to more serious topics; with a readership that was more than happy to follow along.

This isn't to say that serious comics have no place in Strip Search, but none of the competitors have executed a non-humor comic strip very well (and really of the humor based ones, only about a third of them were executed well, since many delivered pretty weak punches) A comic strip is perhaps 90% writing and 10% art, because a good premise can be done with stick-men. If a competitor is picking a reaction other than 'laughter' then they need to write towards that reaction. Monica's was the closest to targeting a reaction other than laughter with her strip, but it still wasn't written well enough for the purpose of creating that 'inspired' reaction. There wasn't any real buildup and was more of a monologue. Just to show that I'm not simply talking out my rear, a better way to have written that comic was not to show trophies, but to have that dino *doing* the thing he loved at the start; perhaps dreaming of it, being in the actual moment only to be snapped out of it in the cold reality of the current situation of having to give it all up. Like doing a glide with a smile on his face rolling along and then waking up into the reality of his moment of gliding along with a mop or something. Then simply showing an abandoned mop with the dinosaur skating away; this would have required zero dialogue but conveyed the exact same message in a much clearer fashion. (This is the point behind a visual medium, don't use words when you can communicate the idea visually. Which leads to PA's critique of Maki's comic where dialogue can take away from a comic.)

Which brings us to Lexxy's comic, which was I assume trying to convey a joke and epic confrontation at the same time, but again the way it was written offers very little payoff due to lack of buildup. If the order of the ideas was presented in reverse it would have been a stronger comic: An epic confrontation between two sides, threats issued from one side to the other; in all appearances an epic battle was to take place. Then the final panel the two sides fighting each other with licorice whips and lollipop clubs. If it was to keep the order of humor first then seriousness second, it would have been a better pay off to have the exchange between the two sides being friendly. Perhaps along the lines of "our candy tastes the best!" "no ours is better!" "We shall see about that!" and then that leads into a panel where you have both sides shoving their weaponized candies into each other's mouths (or orifices in general) with devastating consequences. To play on religion more, the candy they are arguing over could be exactly the same except for one detail: Like the swirl direction on a lollipop (which would add in another layer to the joke since all lollipops would end up swirling counter and clockwise anyways). Of Lexxy's comics this one was easily the weakest of the three she created because it was completely flat-line presentation of an idea.

In the end, a comic needs to first build up the reader's expectation and then play on that expectation to create a pay off. This is either done by playing it to the expectation's logical conclusion or to play against the logical conclusion; after that it's a question of escalation of the execution which determines if the conclusion is more serious in tone or more ridiculous.

If you look at all the elimination strips done so far and gauge them by that measure: Build of expectation and following through that expectation (or not) you'll see that the strips that won were the ones which did that the best; setting them up and then knocking them down so to speak. Some comics had weak setups which resulted in weak pay offs, some comics had a fairly strong setup but zero payoff/followup. The 'close call' comics are the ones in where the setup and payoff levels were relatively equal in execution.

MontyRohde
  • Viktor WaltersViktor Walters fair enough Registered User regular
    It should be worth noting that Maki still has the too-much-verbiage problem. Maybe someone else mentioned this. The middle panel text should just be:

"WHOOOOO WANT'S A RAPTURIN'?"

Simple, stark, and the beats all hit with the right timing. Otherwise, I was pleased with this result. Lexxy is great at art, but methinks she needs a co-author. Maki just needs an editor.

Pokemon, to ignore the horrible terrible world. Friend Code: 3609-1288-7086
  • ClockworkNecktieClockworkNecktie Registered User new member
    Hahaha, I'd love to see Ryan North, Brian Clevinger and Randall Munroe get roped into this. "Ready, set, art!" "...none of us can actually draw."

miaAusaPuddingpie
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Celebrity seasons are always dangerous ground. Once a show starts celebrity seasons, the civilians have a way of getting shoved aside for the rest of the show's run because, hey, why have no-name schlubs when you can have celebrities? I think if you wanted big-name comics facing off, better to organize some one-off duels and leave the show itself to the up-and-comers.

Besides... what's the point in asking big-name webcomic artists to set up a convention booth or negotiate a contract?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Angry_Samoanparmeisan
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    Here's my attempt at this weeks Home Edition challenge:

http://latenightcereal.com/comic/religion-candy/

I say "attempt" because I wasn't able to finish in 90 minutes! That'll teach me to go for 6 panels. Back to 3 for me next week! Still happy with the results so I figured I'd post it here.

PA-Signature.gif
    miaAusaparmeisancharnelHanClinto
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Kalynar wrote: »

It was an observation, not an argument. I appreciate your response and your perspective, but I also understand that when we're discussing a person, there's no objective truth-- only my own opinions, seen through the filter of other such folks I've known in my life.

I remember quite a few of the artists saying they didn't think they had a chance in hell of getting picked and went for it because, hey, why not. Just surviving the first preliminary cut wasn't even expected. I'm sure people APPLIED for their image, but I'm equally sure that Khoo saw right through it because that doesn't mesh with Penny Arcade office culture and knocked them out well before the field was cut to our twelve.

CambiataAnana11