The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #9

• lofloloflo Registered User regular
    mri80 wrote: »
    They've made such a good hearted reality show, it's everything every other reality show isn't and I love it. I specially enjoy it when Mike and Jerry jump in the car and say such encouraging things to everyone and they go from being sad about leaving to just … well, you've all seen it. So, stop spoiling it in the comments!

(I will now proceed to judge, critize and hate random people based on a few sentences they've written on a post)

This is exactly why I decided early on to refrain from sniping at any contestants. This is not the usual guilty pleasure reality show that encourages you to sit back and bitch and moan about any contestant who happens to rub you the wrong way. The people responsible for show are being supportive (burning, drinking, chainsawing, etc of comics notwithstanding). The contestants themselves are being nice to each other. It seems only fitting that we audience members give this... this... civility thing a shot too.

And the interesting thing is that refraining from getting wound up because contestant X might have said or done something that falls short of my impeccable standards for exactly how everyone should behave at all times has made me feel generally more empathetic towards all the contestants, and this in turn has made the show more enjoyable in a warm fuzzy wholesome way.

In fact I'm seriously considering trying out the same approach in real life, but, you know... baby steps.

Spman2099SquonchAnana11Cambiatamri80Puddingpie
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Lexxy burned down my house. Then she punched a baby giraffe at the zoo. Then she blew her nose on my carpet. MY ENTIRE CARPET. AFTER MY HOUSE BURNED DOWN.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    LexxyAngry_SamoanSpman2099BuchomiaAusaCambiata
  • lofloloflo Registered User regular
    Well, it's Lexxy. What did you expect?

LexxySpman2099
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Lexxy stole my girlfriend! And she gave me wedgie!

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    LexxyCambiata
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    RzpG7Wf.jpg

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
    LexxySpman2099lofloKadi101Peter EbelfullofgraceElbasunuahdokTofystedethwahayAngry_SamoanSejarkimiaAusaSpiffy McBangAnana11CambiataCarbonFireT-boltdejavu,againMontyRohdeRuby Rhod
    edited June 2013
    Too-chay.

EDIT: That has to be the most stylish Godwin I've ever seen. Good job.

ahdok on
  • FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    My favorite part of Strip Search is Mike and Jerry.

Inkstain82
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    So, by Mike's logic, would the original one offs of Automata and The Lookouts not be comic strips? Or would they be bad comic strips?

The original Automata and Lookouts were not "one-offs"; they were the first pages of multi-page stories. The only reason they were put up by themselves was to see which one got the most votes for "which one should we finish first." If either of them had to stand on their own, they would have read a lot like Lexxy's strip - interesting world-building and introduction that leaves you wanting to know more, but lacking any payoff.

When your time limit is 90 minutes, you have to serve up something that's self-contained. I'd read 10-12 more pages of Lexxy's candy war story, no problem. The art was fantastic and i'd like to see where she could take the story. But when they cut you off at 90 minutes, they can only judge what's finished after 90 minutes.

parmeisan
    I Agree. Mike and Jerry aren't looking for something "arty-farty", and that's why Mac got eliminated.

• MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    good lord, 8 pages of comments already, some of them ABOMINABLE WALLS 'O' TEXT? tl; dr.

/grats, Maki; loved your comic, Lexxy.
    //Abdominal walls of text? meh, I'll keep working on it.

mri80
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    MekkaB wrote: »
    good lord, 8 pages of comments already, some of them ABOMINABLE WALLS 'O' TEXT? tl; dr.

This is a forum. People talk on forums. Twitter is right over there -> if you want to only read 10 characters.

I hope Lexxy kills your pet hamster.

• charnelcharnel Registered User regular
    @PIFMAN that was a brilliant comic, I'd have preferred it to either of the ones on the show!

• wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    1) Lexxy is such a class act. She took losing twice like a champ, and knows that she's still a winner after being eliminated twice (especially by now, post-Kickstarter).

2) It's cathartic to hear the Mike and Jerry express that they're in it for the humor. I was uncomfortable understanding this from earlier eliminations without it being explicitly stated. RIP Monica.

3) We're going to need an archive of every great fan-made image from Strip Search's duration.

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
    miaAusaAnana11CambiataPuddingpie
  • dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    No "Next time on Strip Search...." Is the series... OVER?!?!

steam_sig.png
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    I wondered that too, but went back and checked Elim #8 and there wasn't one there, either. I think maybe there haven't ever been (or maybe they recently stopped doing) "next time on strip search" sections after eliminations? In hindsight, I'm not sure that I remember knowing about any of the social challenges in advance - just the competitive ones.

edited June 2013
    Stripsearch behind the scenes: We haven't seen Maki return to the house because Lexxy ate him just after filming stopped. To cover up this act, Khoo is operating @Makitori 's forum account as a sock puppet

ahdok on
    miaAusaenderandrewSpman2099
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Too complicated.
    Khoo would leave it be, knowing that Maki's sudden silence on the internet would spawn speculation that he's actually the winner.
    Then after the fallout, leave Lexxi to hold the bag.

mri80
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Similar concept to Lexxy's and pretty funny (imo):

http://pbfcomics.com/129/

Anana11enderandrew
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    ahdok wrote: »
    Lexxy burned down my house. Then she punched a baby giraffe at the zoo. Then she blew her nose on my carpet. MY ENTIRE CARPET. AFTER MY HOUSE BURNED DOWN.

lexxy ate my webcomcs and gamerDater stole and blew my entire savings on cat ears and wiped her messy mouth on my domain records IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! also she kicked a few baby pandas along the way :)

miaAusa on
  • dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Similar concept to Lexxy's and pretty funny (imo):

http://pbfcomics.com/129/

yah, as soon as I saw Candy and Religion I thought of PBF. I actually wondered how close either of them would get to doing that style of comic. My initial thought was a religious hanging scenario, but when they got to the gallows it was a giant chocolate fondue fountain (gives a new concept to river of souls)

steam_sig.png
  • TolwynTolwyn Registered User new member
    Hmmm. It's "Strip Search" not "Comic Strip Search"
    I thought Maki was more cereal, not candy. I didn't understand why that was glossed over. Lexxy's was superior in the fact that it is a strip, by its very definition, and also 100% incorporated the themes. Maki's did not. That was cereal, not candy. But that all being said, it's Mike and Jerry's show.

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I wonder, if Lexxy had won would she have done her Kickstarter? She certainly COULD have, but would she have? My guess is probably not, particularly based on her reaction after getting the boot for the second time. Seemed like she was kind of banking on that prize money as a means of getting started on her comic, and I'm sure she didn't realize the potential for crowdfunding her project.

Makes me wonder: if someone asked the WINNER of Strip Search whether they want the grand prize (15K and a year at PA) or $85,000 to work on their personal project... which would be the better choice? It's easy to think of the KS money as a consolation prize, but in reality Lexxy may have done better in the end than even the winner.

Lamp on
  • ShjadeShjade Registered User regular
    Lexxy was right; a webcomic doesn't have to be funny. Mike was also right; a comic strip made by a cartoonist (which is the jargon they use in this show) probably should be funny.

Indeed, because Charles Schulz was known for being an absolute laugh riot with Peanuts.

...wait, what?

Comic strips don't need to be funny to be entertaining. There are other means of achieving that goal. That wasn't the problem here; Lex just didn't manage to get any payoff in her strip. Great art, good setup, no punch of any kind, comedic or otherwise. A big fight scene like that doesn't have any impact unless the audience is invested and, well, we have no idea what the story behind that sequence is, so there's no investment.

I wouldn't say it's a bad strip, but it definitely wasn't a winner for this kind of challenge.

@Tolwyn: they seemed more like Cheez-it type munchies to me, but it wasn't a material difference in the end. Strange name for candy, maybe, but I've seen people pour jars of jelly beans into a bowl that way. For the required intents and purposes it was candy.

KadiSandrockcstm
  • minor incidentminor incident a crow, a scavenger type a heart-shaped box of springs and wireRegistered User regular
    So, I just binged on the whole fucking show over the last 48 hours and I'm amazed at how well done it is. It's funny, well produced, and as classy as it could possibly be, considering the multitude of dick jokes. Which is still way classier than most reality TV.

Also, despite not initially caring for her (admittedly, based simply on her standup/what little of her art I saw), I think Abby is a god damn punchline machine. The Sherlock strip was great, but the cat post-op strip (particularly the last panel) was one of the most brutally hilarious things I've ever seen. To be 20 years old and have that sort of dark mastery over the black art of the reaction shot is a rare thing. I'm guessing she mortgaged her soul to some foul underworld hellbeast. The only thing on the entire show that made me laugh harder was probably Jerry's commitment to drinking that comic smoothie.

That said, I really liked pretty much all the contestants. Abby's a comedy machine who will destroy everyone she goes up against, but damnit, Lexxy is a brilliant artist, and Monica's dinosaur strip was a thing of beauty. I also love Katie's art, and her first strip was one of the best in the show. Right up there with Cat Post-Op and the Lollipop Templars. I also really like Maki as a cool dude on the show, but I haven't really loved his strips so far.

Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    Work: twitch.tv/maingear
    When I look out there it makes me glad I'm not you
    Puddingpieoz_in_exileAnana11
  • MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    @Lexxy
    You went up on the mountain and got rejected three times. So glad to hear that you're aiming higher. Your will has proven itself iron, and may your pen never falter.

• KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Tolwyn wrote: »
    I thought Maki was more cereal, not candy. I didn't understand why that was glossed over. Lexxy's was superior in the fact that it is a strip, by its very definition, and also 100% incorporated the themes. Maki's did not. That was cereal, not candy. But that all being said, it's Mike and Jerry's show.

you buy a lot of cereal that comes in jars?

• MTesonMTeson Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    MTeson wrote: »
    I don't think it's this. Commence total speculation and inaccurate judgment, but it's something more complicated than "people don't like her because she's confident." People liked Amy and Amy was confident.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

MTeson sez we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Fair point. I liked Amy and before I went on the forums I read a lot of pro-Amy on Twitter. Clearly YMMV. There are plenty of other confident women on the show that people like too.

• MTesonMTeson Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    I wonder, if Lexxy had won would she have done her Kickstarter? She certainly COULD have, but would she have? My guess is probably not, particularly based on her reaction after getting the boot for the second time. Seemed like she was kind of banking on that prize money as a means of getting started on her comic, and I'm sure she didn't realize the potential for crowdfunding her project.

Makes me wonder: if someone asked the WINNER of Strip Search whether they want the grand prize (15K and a year at PA) or $85,000 to work on their personal project... which would be the better choice? It's easy to think of the KS money as a consolation prize, but in reality Lexxy may have done better in the end than even the winner.

This is what I was thinking. Considering they're all moving to Seattle anyway and the show seems more interested in giving them exposure and a fanbase that they can build off of than picking A WINNAR. This is also true in a lot of other reality shows that are career-based. A lot of the Top Model contestants say that they're better off not having won. Seems like Lexxy and Monica are taking that approach for sure. And Erika too, considering what she got out of the show.

That's my favorite thing about it, that Khoo and Mike and Jerry are legit interested in using their visibility and know-how to elevate all the contestants and bring them up. They're not kicking any of them to the curb, they're actively promoting them and giving them a platform, and they're giving them behind-the-scenes advice on things like branding, etc. to help them start their own dreams. It's really nice to see.

Lamploflo
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Tolwyn wrote: »

you buy a lot of cereal that comes in jars?

No, but he (or his family) may have stored it in jars. Also, see below:
    makitori wrote: »
    Admittedly, I left the nature of the stuff ambiguous because I wanted to go with cereal so that Jesus could form out of the mass, but was afraid I'd be docked for not using the subject (or that it wasn't close enough)

As for the joke, I personally wasn't thrilled with it, either. I knew I could do better, but in the Thunderdome, you have to go with the first or second idea that comes to mind--especially if you plan on coloring.

It's not just random people thinking "hey, cereal!" for no reason.

though tbf some cereal has enough sugar in it that it may as well be candy. :P

tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    endiku wrote: »

I hope Lexxy kills your pet hamster.

@Lexxercise: need 2 get hamstr first, then let's do this. #kthxbai!

• minor incidentminor incident a crow, a scavenger type a heart-shaped box of springs and wireRegistered User regular
    My first thought was cereal as well, mainly because I've never really seen anyone pour a bunch of candy out into a (cereal?) bowl before.

• WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    i feel like I'm always talking about Kickstarter on here, but even had Lexxy not been eliminated, it would still have been crazy not to do it. She might have timed it differently, but I bet she would still have done it. It's the way to do this stuff nowadays. Big companies do it. Anyone with a fanbase does it. It would make excellent sense for the eventual winner to do one too, if they have a project that fits in any way.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I didn't really even catch that the kids got raptured away in the final panel. In my defense, my wits were rather sluggish at the time.
    Who empties candy out into a bowl anyway?

Twenty Sided on
    minor incident
    I didn't really even catch that the kids got raptured away in the final panel. In my defense, my wits were rather sluggish at the time.

To be fair, I really did like his punchline. The sudden totally empty panel was a perfect example of him listening to advice and letting a joke breathe.

Even if it was cereal.

Hewntastydonuts
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular

She peed on my rug. It really tied the room together, too.

steam_sig.png
    HewnmiaAusa
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular

To be fair, I really did like his punchline. The sudden totally empty panel was a perfect example of him listening to advice and letting a joke breathe.

Even if it was cereal.

Why is nobody asking the truly important question: What sins did that bowl commit to be the one thing left behind?

minor incident
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Devonin wrote: »
    Why is nobody asking the truly important question: What sins did that bowl commit to be the one thing left behind?
    Since he called the kids sinners, maybe the better questions is, what sins DIDN'T it commit?

Pavio
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Ryadic wrote: »

She peed on my rug. It really tied the room together, too.

I did you a favor, that rug was hideous.
    Lamp wrote: »

I answered a similar question over in SE++, but I'll expand on it a bit for you guys.
    ...I definitely think I would have done it regardless of whether or not I won, though. A lot of people speculated on that as being a telltale sign I lost, but as some have already observed, 15k just isn't much to live on, and if I made the move and still had to supplement my income with contract work...

The PA and LRR folks encouraged us to leverage our exposure from the show as much as we could. My initial plan was to get my comic up and running by the time the show started airing, but nothing had happened to solve my freelance conundrum yet, and I had taken almost two weeks off work for filming, so I went broke almost immediately. Back to contract work for me.

While I caught up on work, my parents basically did a SWOT analysis of my business and mom suggested I run a Kickstarter while the show was airing. We'd discussed it before, maybe a year or so ago, and I was resistant at the time; I felt like 'starting my comic' wasn't an appropriate use of the tool, and wanted to wait until I had a book's worth of content. BUT, after a year of doing concept art and worldbuilding in between projects, I realized I had more than enough material to work with, and could combine that with the beginning of my comic to make a primer. Strip Search was already in full swing at this point, and I wanted to act while it was still at its peak, so I threw it together in about a week and a half, ran it by George Rohac for advice, got Khoo's blessing, and launched.

My initial goal was the bare minimum of what I would have needed to get the books printed as well as take two months off to work up a buffer of pages. The more successful it was, the more time I could take off. Even after fees, taxes, and the expense of reward fulfillment, I can quit taking commissions entirely and work on The Cloud Factory full-time for about a year.

I still can't believe this is a real thing I get to do.

So... thanks for watching the show, and spreading the word, and supporting our work. You've made a real, tangible difference in our lives.

HewnSassoriKadiPuddingpieahdokElbasunuAnana11CambiataLampRaslinSpman2099KalynarfoolofloDexOZSpiffy McBangGoslingAngry_SamoanxThanatoSxfullofgraceRyadicHanClintoTofystedethRuby Rhod
    edited June 2013
    That bowl is going to haunt me until I get an explanation. I mean, the candy got raptured, so any argument about inanimate objects lacking an immortal soul are moot.

Hell, the god damn jar the candy came in got raptured.

minor incident on
  • stoleestolee Registered User new member
    If you are still confused about the candy being raptured, you should look up transubstantiation.

Tofystedeth