Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #9

• parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    @Lexxy, will working full time on The Cloud Factory cause you issues if you need to go back to taking commissions at any point? I mean, you probably have working relationships set up that might falter a bit if you aren't available for that long...? I'm just wondering if it might be better to go, like, 90% TCF or something like that...

Also, thanks for being so patient and cool with us. :)

• MTesonMTeson Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Lexxy wrote:
    While I caught up on work, my parents basically did a SWOT analysis of my business and mom suggested I run a Kickstarter while the show was airing.

Dang. I'm still trying to explain Kickstarter to my mom. And I actually had one that was successful for me! That she donated to!

"No mom, it's not a charity thing...you click on the donate button....DONATE. It's right at the top. The top of the page. Scroll up....yeah okay just send me a check."

MTeson on
  • minor incidentminor incident a crow, a scavenger type Registered User regular
    So, the candy was the body of the Christ? Like one of the pieces was Jesus' wang? So Maki's strip was about kids who are on the verge of unknowingly consuming Christcock?

Well goddamnit.

He did deserve the win.

Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    Work: twitch.tv/maingear
    Lindsay Lohan: I lasted less time in Spelunky than I do in the bedroom.
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    That bowl is going to haunt me until I get an explanation. I mean, the candy got raptured, so any argument about inanimate objects lacking an immortal soul are moot.

Hell, the god damn jar the candy came in got raptured.

1gqes1.jpg

cathSIG.jpg
    Steam: hewn
    minor incidentElbasunufooKadiT-bolteaglTofystedeth
  • MTesonMTeson Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    parmeisan wrote: »
    @Lexxy, will working full time on The Cloud Factory cause you issues if you need to go back to taking commissions at any point? I mean, you probably have working relationships set up that might falter a bit if you aren't available for that long...? I'm just wondering if it might be better to go, like, 90% TCF or something like that...

If it were me I'd probably trickle it out, spend a month here, a month there, you don't have to take a whole year off all at once. I'm a workaholic though.

• LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    edited June 2013
    parmeisan wrote: »

Oh yeah, I'll definitely continue to take select projects, but it makes a huge difference if I have one or two commission pieces to do in a month as opposed to like... 10.

Lexxy on
    parmeisanAnana11RaslinAngry_SamoanHanClinto
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Good on you, Lexxy. Everybody I talk to who watches the show is terribly impressed with your art. And we're not artists, so we don't even know what we're looking at, but it's pretty. Keep making pretty stuff.

cathSIG.jpg
    Steam: hewn
    Hewn wrote: »
    That bowl is going to haunt me until I get an explanation. I mean, the candy got raptured, so any argument about inanimate objects lacking an immortal soul are moot.

Hell, the god damn jar the candy came in got raptured.

1gqes1.jpg

Starring Kirk Cameron as the bowl?

• PuddingpiePuddingpie Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    People hated "The City," but I actually think Maki's redraw did Lexxy a disfavor. (Hello, there!) Since you were doing the Crusades, Religion + The City could've made for a pretty epic comic about Jerusalem or Constantinople, since you said you weren't necessarily aiming to be funny. "Candy" forced the comic into pretty silly territory. BTW, I love medieval-themed illustrations! When I saw your elim comic I totally geeked out!

Puddingpie on
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    The Candy was secretly (or not so secretly) Jesus, in some kind of more literal sense than communion bread is Jesus, so of course it got raptured. The Bowl was just a bowl though.

Alternative explanation: The bowl was one of the bowls of hell.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • PuddingpiePuddingpie Registered User regular
    I was thinkin' cereal, cuz Communion *wafers*. That's more a cereal than a sweet.

ahdok wrote: »
    The Candy was secretly (or not so secretly) Jesus, in some kind of more literal sense than communion bread is Jesus, so of course it got raptured. The Bowl was just a bowl though.

Okay, fine. The candy was sweet, sweet Jesus man meats. But what of the jar? WHAT OF THE JAR?

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    MTeson wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    MTeson wrote: »
    I don't think it's this. Commence total speculation and inaccurate judgment, but it's something more complicated than "people don't like her because she's confident." People liked Amy and Amy was confident.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

MTeson sez we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Fair point. I liked Amy and before I went on the forums I read a lot of pro-Amy on Twitter. Clearly YMMV. There are plenty of other confident women on the show that people like too.

I'm guessing you're new to the forums, then.

I got a lot of people in the hub threads very angry at me by suggesting that maybe Amy isn't history's greatest monster.

Willing to bet that those people don't even remember anymore that they hated her or why, though.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    I don't know what cereal you all eat (Grape Nuts, no doubt) but cereal is pretty much candy.

That said, none of you have ever poured a bowl of candy and just went to town on it? Just me? Damn....

LampmiaAusaHewnHanClinto
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    makitori wrote: »
    That said, none of you have ever poured a bowl of candy and just went to town on it? Just me? Damn....

$90? No wonder the dish didn't get raptured; easier to get a camel through the eye of a needle than a $90 candy dish into heaven.

minor incidentTrunkers
    edited June 2013

More beast than man.

But seriously, just eat that shit straight from the bag. Why dirty up a bowl? And why subject the innocent bowl to being LEFT BEHIND(r)(tm)?

minor incident on
    LexxyAzaminomakitori
  • KnytestormeKnytestorme Registered User regular

More beast than man.

But seriously, just eat that shit straight from the bag. Why dirty up a bowl? And why subject the innocent bowl to being LEFT BEHIND(r)(tm)?

There were 2 kids in the strip....who doesn't put lollies in a bowl when you have to share them? More importantly, who the fuck wants someone else putting their hand in your bag of lollies?

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Okay, fine. The candy was sweet, sweet Jesus man meats. But what of the jar? WHAT OF THE JAR?

The jar is now a holy relic, having once contained the body of Christ.

In a thousand years an archaeologist will have to race to find it before the fascists can harness its power for nefarious means.
    I don't know what cereal you all eat (Grape Nuts, no doubt) but cereal is pretty much candy.

Cereal doesn't have to be candy. I think it mostly depends on marshmallow content (as in, does it have any?).

And pouring candy into a bowl sounds like a lot of work when I can just pour the contents of the bag directly into my mouth.

Lexxyminor incidentmakitori

More beast than man.

There were 2 kids in the strip....who doesn't put lollies in a bowl when you have to share them? More importantly, who the fuck wants someone else putting their hand in your bag of lollies?

Clearly you were one of those homeschooled hippie kids who were taught to "share."

Fuck that, if I get there first, it's my candy.

• MegMeg Registered User new member
    Does it bother anyone else that the joke was stolen from Eddie Izzard? Go about 2 minutes into the linked video. If someone already brought this up I apologize:

• lofloloflo Registered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »
    While I caught up on work, my parents basically did a SWOT analysis of my business...

S: Cool artings. W: Villainy?

O: Exposure! T: Da haterz

• nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Meg wrote: »
    Does it bother anyone else that the joke was stolen from Eddie Izzard? Go about 2 minutes into the linked video. If someone already brought this up I apologize:

No. Maki's joke wasn't dependent on the phrase "Jeezy Chreezies." The joke was the three panels below that, none of which have anything to do with two words used by Izzard. Izzard's use of the term isn't even the joke in that portion of the routine. Izzard is great, but let's not pretend that the aughts haven't seen a bombardment of terms like that (the suffix "izzle" anyone?). To the extent Maki's useage even owes anything to Izzard, that's just bonus points for throwing in an inside joke.

chstreamsig.jpg
    lofloSaint Justiceminor incidentKalTorak
  • PeterBmanPeterBman Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I got a lot of people in the hub threads very angry at me by suggesting that maybe Amy isn't history's greatest monster.

That's not quite how I remember it.

I'm pretty sure you got angry when people said they didn't like how Amy was scheming her way through the game. I also seem to recall you swearing up and down that Amy (the admitted schemer) was in fact NOT scheming.

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013

Cereal is coated in sugar way to much sugar, I have done that somewhat, I'm trying not to so much now that I've done it alot in the past I've had way to much chocolate and other things :c :), and other bowls too, lol hehe

miaAusa on
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

Boring regular Cheerios. Hardly anything I would call candy. Please resign.

Sejarki on
  • caitycaity Registered User new member
    looking at them side by side, maki and lexxy kinda look like the male and female versions of each other.

• eagleagl Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It was cereal, from the beginning. In at least one of the shots of the work in progress (time 13:20), you see the text "just add holy water". Who adds holy water to candy? So it was cereal from the beginning, and Maki tried to cover it up. If that sounds too drooling insane, at least we can all admit it was a thinly disguised attempt to avoid rubbing it in Mike/Jerry's face, the fact that it was CEREAL NOT CANDY.

Ahem. Just had to set that straight since NOBODY in the mass media seems to have noticed the edited text. The big question, and we'll have to have congressional hearings about this BTW, was who changed the text and when, and why it was all blamed on a youtube video... Was nobody in charge? And if nobody is in charge, why are those guys getting paid for not being in charge? I'm looking at YOU Mike and Jerry. Except you don't read the forums and I'm scared of Khoo so instead of blaming him we'll just punt as usual and gin up another controversy about Lexxy's kickstarter and pee on the carpet, which somehow happened AFTER (?) the house burned down?

eagl on
    edited June 2013
    Things that are in the work-up but have been removed from the final version are not cannon. There's usually a reason they're removed, and in this case I guess that reason is because those words would make you assume it's cereal.

I'm in the UK, so many of these little arguments about the jar of candy are quite alien to me. Over here:
    1) Most cereals are nothing like candy.
    2) Some people put cereal into jars. They tend to be the kinds of people who shop in Waitrose.
    3) Some people would put candy into a bowl to share it.

On the flipside, I don't think an argument about whether it's candy or cereal really matters to the quality of this strip. It could conceivably be candy, so it's using the topics if you choose to let it do so. The distinction doesn't impact the joke or the art, so it's irrelevant to me.

Haha. Okay. Let me think. The "Bowls of hell" joke sailed right past so what else do I got?

Oh I know. Maybe the Jar was secretly "Jarsus" - Jesus' estranged brother.

ahdok on
    minor incident
    edited June 2013
    "Lexxy wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I'll definitely continue to take select projects, but it makes a huge difference if I have one or two commission pieces to do in a month as opposed to like... 10.

Lexxy, it's very interesting reading about your business decisions. You really need to consider retaining the services of your own Khoo, or at least pick up a mail-order MBA so you can get exposed to the "science" behind the decisions you are making. If you haven't already, that is...

I remember the first tech company I worked at while in high school had to hire a manager. He did NOTHING but manage people. It was a total culture shock for the company which up to that point was made up entirely of people who created something that the company sold. This guy did nothing but tell other people what to spend their time doing, using sound business practices and organizational techniques. They all hated it, but it was absolutely necessary. Productivity jumped the second the griping about the manager a$$hole faded out.

I was listening to Dave Ramsey's show a couple of weeks ago, and his answer to a startup business owner in your situation was to increase pricing until a few customers dropped off of the client list. If done right, you can end up making the same or more money with a smaller client list, and have more spare time. If you have more work than you can handle, your pricing is too low and you're working too hard.

Yea that principle doesn't ALWAYS apply, but you need to factor in what else you can do with your time when you're intentionally too expensive for more than a handful of clients. Opportunity cost and all that. I got the MBA because I needed a paper degree more than I needed the knowledge (I work for the govt and that's what they wanted), but a handful of the courses I took actually would apply very specifically to your situation, with respect to coming up with your business plan. So, maybe a local college has some business administration courses that you could take, or even just survey.

Other than the webcomic thing, have you considered whether or not anything you create might be sold to more than one client? Or is the nature of the biz entirely exclusive? I offer the example of pinny arcade as one way to think beyond the creative model of one commission one work. A pin created for a particular PAX or other event might be seen as a work done on commission, but for more than one buyer. Like limited edition prints, but not that. But can you find a group of clients that would collectively purchase a commissioned work of yours, without building a client list from scratch out of the aether?

eagl on
    MTeson

We saw the "just add holy water"... Busted, you are.

Things that are in the work-up but have been removed from the final version are not cannon. There's usually a reason they're removed, and in this case I guess that reason is because those words would make you assume it's cereal.

Normally yes, but in this case the "final version" was the strip search episode in its entirety. The whole show stands, as shown. Can't take it back. No reality show backsies. You can't un-draw something shown on a reality show. All you can do is cover it up and look for a low level employee in a branch office to blame it on. Right now, the finger is pointed at the missing jar, satan's bowl (or was it something borrowed from Dante?), with a spurious reference to grape nuts, which is by the way awesome when cooked down with milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon. But the grape nuts kept his emails and phone records, and he's taking them to Oprah. I'm not sure the beardwall cereal cover-up can withstand that kind of expOsure.

• Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    eagl wrote: »
    "Lexxy wrote: »

Lexxy, it's very interesting reading about your business decisions. You really need to consider retaining the services of your own Khoo, or at least pick up a mail-order MBA so you can get exposed to the "science" behind the decisions you are making. If you haven't already, that is...

I remember the first tech company I worked at while in high school had to hire a manager. He did NOTHING but manage people. It was a total culture shock for the company which up to that point was made up entirely of people who created something that the company sold. This guy did nothing but tell other people what to spend their time doing, using sound business practices and organizational techniques. They all hated it, but it was absolutely necessary. Productivity jumped the second the griping about the manager a$$hole faded out.

I was listening to Dave Ramsey's show a couple of weeks ago, and his answer to a startup business owner in your situation was to increase pricing until a few customers dropped off of the client list. If done right, you can end up making the same or more money with a smaller client list, and have more spare time. If you have more work than you can handle, your pricing is too low and you're working too hard.

Yea that principle doesn't ALWAYS apply, but you need to factor in what else you can do with your time when you're intentionally too expensive for more than a handful of clients. Opportunity cost and all that. I got the MBA because I needed a paper degree more than I needed the knowledge (I work for the govt and that's what they wanted), but a handful of the courses I took actually would apply very specifically to your situation, with respect to coming up with your business plan. So, maybe a local college has some business administration courses that you could take, or even just survey.

PA got their Khoo because, if I remember the story correctly, he pointed out they were charging about 98% less than the going rate for ads given their hits and click rate. The money was there all along, they just didn't realize it.

People doing freelance work of any type also have to handle price hikes a little more judiciously than a regular business owner. The owner of a store can keep playing with prices until they find the sweet spot between how fast an item sells and how quickly they can resupply it. As a freelance worker, you're not simply selling things to customers, you have a direct business relationship with the people for whom you're doing the work. It's a looser relationship than employer/employee, but it's closer to that than it is to saleswoman/customer, especially with a company that keeps you hired on a continual basis.

If you asked your boss for a big raise once a year, maybe you'd get it, maybe not; but if you asked for a small raise every two months, the boss would unquestionably get fed up with you. Likewise, if someone doing illustration commissions bumps her prices by 25%, any given client may stay, or the client may bail; but the client is going to get annoyed if she asks for 5% more after every other project. So if she's going to raise rates, she has to make the big jump. And using Lexxy's example of ten pieces per month, if she makes this type of move and judges the market wrong at all, she's either going to end up keeping all her clients at a lower rate than she probably could have gotten (albeit a higher rate than she was receiving, which is good), or she's going to lose more clients than expected and be up shit's creek. So you need to have the market for your services pegged hard- which, in the case of an artist, may be difficult or impossible no matter your business sense- or have a backup plan. Lexxy has that now, so she can raise prices much more easily, and I'd be kind of stunned if she didn't. But up until this point it may have simply been an unrealistic move.

Your basic premise isn't wrong, it's just not as easy as it sounds when you're doing your own thing.

And using Lexxy's example of ten pieces per month, if she makes this type of move and judges the market wrong at all, she's either going to end up keeping all her clients at a lower rate than she probably could have gotten (albeit a higher rate than she was receiving, which is good), or she's going to lose more clients than expected and be up shit's creek.

You forgot to factor in the opportunity cost. She can do something else with her time, even if she misses the mark on price and demand. She needs to determine what kind of time she needs to spend to produce an equivalent or superior revenue stream doing those other things, and then aggressively shed clients until she has that kind of time. And one client need not know what another client is being charged, so jobs she finds less interesting or which are unduly time consuming might suddenly cost more. If the client goes away, she uses that time to make more money on other things. If the client pays enough to keep her services (pays more than those other things would earn her), then that's a win too.

It's no different than a company making a decision to expand or shrink a product line, to optimize returns. Among other things, the business invests time and capital and gets back revenue and opportunity. It helps to have a Khoo to do the math and hard analysis to determine where the line gets drawn between activities. I guess my point is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing for the commissioned work, and any "lost" clients represent additional time to perform other revenue earning activities. And as I added later, sometimes you can combine or package commissioned work for more than one client, if you can sell the idea. Do the same work but sell it to more than one person. It's like doing personal tutoring vs. group classes, but not that. Or maybe she might make some coin on the side teaching an art class. Again, the point is that she can adjust pricing to shed clients to make time for other activities but this ought to be done in accordance with a deliberate business plan, thought out in advance. That's what you hire the Khoo for, to rationalize the creative output and make it a business and not just "hey I can make cool stuff and some people buy it".

• WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    @Lexxy, you mention having talked about Kickstarter elsewhere - have you also ever discussed how you go about getting clients/maintaining your relationships with them anywhere? it's obv not within the scope of this subforum, but if you've ever shared advice on building a client base I'd love to read it if possible.

The best thing about Lexxy's plan in my opinion is that instead of finding a financial backer who would own part of her business, she found backers who will get only specific products that she has promised to make. Kickstarter and the other similar systems are awesome in that way, that someone without a big enough nest egg to take that first leap and who doesn't want to get a risky business loan from a bank can still attract funding in return for product, without selling an interest in the business or having to pay interest on the funding in addition to paying back the initial loan.

Why is this on topic? Because it so neatly fits into what the show was supposed to do in the first place. The show winner gets some cash to move and get set up in a new city, and a place in the PA organism where there exists people who can help turn a creative talent + dream into a business. We're seeing that there is already more than one winner, in the broader sense of getting enough support to start a new creative business where potential existed but opportunity did not. So, Lexxy got eliminated from the show but has still won a significant equivalent portion of the original prize. Yea she's not down the hallway from Khoo or any of the other brilliant PA staff, but I bet they answer her phone calls when she asks for advice...

Angry_Samoan
    I call poo-poo and pee-pee on this. The challenge is to make a comic, not to make a comic without changing any aspect of it along the way.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    "Hello? Yes, this is the office of Poo-Poo and P.P."

g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • FnordalFnordal Registered User regular
    It's friday, friday... everybody is looking for the new episode, episode.

I hate to break it to you dude, but... It's Thursday.
    (I suppose you might be UTC+10... I imagine UTC+10 people watch this show on a Saturday though.)

Fnordal
  • FnordalFnordal Registered User regular
    hey, at least I have an extra day!