As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] Daniel Bryan, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »
    Back to the clusterfuck that is Chikara a sec, I wonder if any of the talent will try and work in places like ROH and PWG or even NOAH (who needs all the talent they can get these days) with their gimmicks intact. Although I doubt the PWG fans would tolerate too much of that bullshit.

If they go anywhere, it's probably Dragon Gate and smaller promotions. You're right that PWG fans wouldn't put up with it, as we're focused more on wrestling than anything, so any Chikara guys coming in would have to focus on their wrestling than trying to get any gimmick over. Same thing goes with RoH.

We're talking about the promotion where El Generico is a former world champ and the Super Smash Bros. are former tag champs, right?

Yep, PWG is basically the left coast indy wrestling mecca. They only run around 10 shows a year but they're all near 5 star quality because they bring in the best talent and have the best matches.

But thinking more about it I know Gabe will try and bring in as many Chikara talents as he can because he's desperate to find talent fans actually care about for DGUSA and Evolve. He also debuted "entertainment" matches at the last Evolve shows which are basically comedy matches so Chikara guys would fit right into that.

I'm not doubting the quality of the wrestling. I've seen a bit, and it's very good stuff. What I'm doubting is that nobody who has a silly gimmick will find success there, because... well... they have before.

Yeah if the Chikara talent just goes there to wrestle that'd be fine. I'm talking about the time travelling shit.

Yeah, unless Quack takes a job as booker with PWG, I don't think the "time travelling shit" is going with them.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    From a fan report at last nights Smackdown taping:
    What was interesting is Curt Hawkins came out and signed some autographs so a guy in the crowd said, "I wish they would put you back with Ryder." Hawkins responded "Oh yeah? Keep watching Smackdown. You might like what you see in the next few weeks."

Yay?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Prince of Queens w/ Long Island Iced Z, I guess?

New York Royalty?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    So maybe they are going to reward Curt for helping train the Rock for his Mania matches.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Maybe they should just reward Curt for being a pretty talented guy.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Yes, "reward"...

Curt Hawkins/Zack Ryder vs. the Shield, on Smackdown, in a "Look, we DO have jobbers that aren't 3MB or Epico/Primo!" match!

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Yes, "reward"...

Curt Hawkins/Zack Ryder vs. the Shield, on Smackdown, in a "Look, we DO have jobbers that aren't 3MB or Epico/Primo!" match!

Probably, but at least Hawkins would be back on TV again. And it could mean Ryder finally ditches his face persona.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Back to the clusterfuck that is Chikara a sec, I wonder if any of the talent will try and work in places like ROH and PWG or even NOAH (who needs all the talent they can get these days) with their gimmicks intact. Although I doubt the PWG fans would tolerate too much of that bullshit.

If they go anywhere, it's probably Dragon Gate and smaller promotions. You're right that PWG fans wouldn't put up with it, as we're focused more on wrestling than anything, so any Chikara guys coming in would have to focus on their wrestling than trying to get any gimmick over. Same thing goes with RoH.

We're talking about the promotion where El Generico is a former world champ and the Super Smash Bros. are former tag champs, right?

Yep, PWG is basically the left coast indy wrestling mecca. They only run around 10 shows a year but they're all near 5 star quality because they bring in the best talent and have the best matches.

But thinking more about it I know Gabe will try and bring in as many Chikara talents as he can because he's desperate to find talent fans actually care about for DGUSA and Evolve. He also debuted "entertainment" matches at the last Evolve shows which are basically comedy matches so Chikara guys would fit right into that.

I'm not doubting the quality of the wrestling. I've seen a bit, and it's very good stuff. What I'm doubting is that nobody who has a silly gimmick will find success there, because... well... they have before.

I don't think you've ever seen SSB or Generico wrestle in PWG before. SSB especially barely brings their gimmick up; the most you get from them is their entrance music and a couple references to video games in their moves, just as you would from the RockNES Monsters. You aren't going to find anything on the level of their Chikara stuff, just because Super Dragon won't put up with it.

Also Generico is the exception to the rule.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Yeah unless your name is Joey Ryan or Peter Avalon the room for shenanigans in PWG has slimmed down an awful lot over the years.
    Of course most of the best Chikara guys can get by perfectly fine without shenanigans and could probably get over sufficiently with any company willing to book them.

• Options
    This was released all the way back in 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hkPVf5DRd0

They rarely do backstage skits anymore except for the ocassional interview on their youtube page.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

I don't think you've ever seen SSB or Generico wrestle in PWG before. SSB especially barely brings their gimmick up; the most you get from them is their entrance music and a couple references to video games in their moves, just as you would from the RockNES Monsters. You aren't going to find anything on the level of their Chikara stuff, just because Super Dragon won't put up with it.

Also Generico is the exception to the rule.

I haven't seen much of SSB in PWG, but I have seen some of Generico's work with them, and he's his usual goofy self. Less comedy spots in the matches, perhaps, but his promos are just as silly as ever (which is OK with me, I like silly sometimes).

I'm just not buying this idea that PWG is so super-serial that none of these Chikara guys would DARE go near it. PWG has proven they're not totally averse to a little comic relief, and most of the Chikara guys are damn good wrestlers underneath those gimmicks. I'm not saying a flood of Chikara guys will happen, but don't be at all surprised to see a few of them pop in for a few dates and maybe even get over with the crowd. The promotion's logo is based on a pun, FFS.

As for ROH... well, Cornette is a giant stick-in-the-mud, and a lot of the comedy has gone out of ROH since he took over, so you might be right there.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Cornette doesn't book ROH anymore, Delerious does. And here's the best representation of PWG in the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etotg3S3BeI

• Options
    You're best representation of PWG in the past comes from an IWA show?

• Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    You're best representation of PWG in the past comes from an IWA show?

Oh, didn't know that was from IWA. Then again, the Osirian Portal hypnosis viral vid happened in CZW.

• Options
    Look, I'll be honest here: I personally don't think all the Chikara guys would get over in Reseda. You have to understand its a different crowd that likes different things (there are a lot of ex-XPW refugees who go to shows). I'm not saying all of Chikara wouldn't get over, btw; F.I.S.T is doing pretty well, and I could easily see Matt Classic getting over (see what I did there?). Guys like the Colony would definitely have to work their asses off to get over, though it could be possible with the right opponent (thinking Ricochet, Rich Swann, and AR Fox here).

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    The Colony had a 4 star match with the Devestation Corporation of all people, they could get over in Reseda. Besides I'd like to think the PWG crowd knows how talented the Chikara guys are.

• Options
    Oh, I forgot the big reason you probably won't see a huge influx of Chikara guys in PWG: the talent pool is already big enough as-is. Unless it's a show like ASW, PWG usually limits the amount of new guys to 1 at most. Look at last year, for example:

Worlds Finest: No one new
    DDT4: Sami Callihan debuts
    Death to All But Metal:Michael Elgin debuts
    Threemendous III: Drake Younger debuts
    BoLA: No one new
    Failure to Communicate: Rich Swann debuts
    Mystery Vortex: No one new

The only time you really see a mass influx of people to the PWG roster is big event shows like ASW and BoLA, and this last BoLA added Johnny Gargano and AR Fox. Honestly, the window for Chikara guys to head over is pretty small right now.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    The Colony had a 4 star match with the Devestation Corporation of all people, they could get over in Reseda. Besides I'd like to think the PWG crowd knows how talented the Chikara guys are.

The only guys I really see PWG fans asking for are FIST (already in, and I think part of that is just how loved Chuck Taylor is in Reseda), and Mark Angelosseti of all people. Even Tim Donst got a "Yeah, he's alright, but he'd have to lose the gimmick" response.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options

The only guys I really see PWG fans asking for are FIST (already in, and I think part of that is just how loved Chuck Taylor is in Reseda), and Mark Angelosseti of all people. Even Tim Donst got a "Yeah, he's alright, but he'd have to lose the gimmick" response.

You're probably right, and besides Gabe will be practically begging to get most of those guys in his promotions before PWG calls.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Chris Sabin's response to Hulk Hogan coming out after he won the X-Division Championship. Good amount of blood in the pic.

And in case people missed this from the last thread Quintessential Pro Wrestling put up a whole show worth of matches. I haven't watched this one yet, but here's TJ Perkins vs. Michael Elgin, which I'm sure is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V22bYHdDncg

Magell on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The word in WWE is that nobody cares that TNA has signed Quinton Rampage Jackson. Spike made the announcement on Monday. He'll be doing the King Mo deal where he'll fight for Bellator and make appearances for TNA. No word at this point what he's being paid, if he's going to try to train to be a wrestler, or if he'll just serve on TV as a guest enforcer for Hulk Hogan or a GM or something like that. Those in WWE said they hoped he realized that if he thought he was going to become a pro-wrestler that he better be prepared to spend a lot of time in Louisville, Kentucky. He's scheduled to be in the building for Impact this coming Thursday, so they're not wasting any time.

Jackson's signing would probably be considered a bigger deal had it not been for the story of King Mo, who was signed, pushed hard on both television shows, and then completely disappeared from TNA and was knocked out in an upset in his first Bellator tournament.

• Options
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    It's so cute when past their prime guys sign with both the #2 pro wrestling company and the #2 MMA company and they think it's going to matter to anyone.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, on the undercard...

Thank you to all the great fans support during the past four years. Time for bigger and better things....

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's good TNA is shelling out money for King Mo and Rampage and letting Douglas Williams go.

Magell on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just to recap, TNA can pay King Mo and Rampage to do basically nothing but show up a couple times. Meanwhile, they're letting somebody like Douglas Williams walk. While all this is going on, Zema Ion has to resort to funds raised by a Chicago indy lucha libre promotion almost nobody knows exists, instead of the company he's currently employed by who are paying King Mo and Rampage to do a little more than nothing, just to afford major surgery.

The .8 ratings TNA has gotten for most of the last 2 months are much higher than the company deserves.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    LuFisto just posted this on her Facebook about her student, Kalamity:
    Dear fans and wrestling colleagues,

It’s with infinite sadness that I do have the duty to announce to everybody that Kalamity won’t be wrestling anymore, at least for an undetermined period.

No comments will be made besides this one and no questions will be answered. Please know that Kalamity is not sick. This decision is really personal to her and we please ask you to respect her privacy and personal life.

I am so proud of everything she accomplished in the past years under my tutelage. She worked very hard as she always took on challenges with determination. She was a wonderful student but mostly, she is a wonderful human being and I love as if she were my own daughter.

Thank you for all the support you showed her in the past years. Thank you to Dave Prazak and all the Shimmer crew for welcoming her with open arms. Thanx to Drew and WSU for letting her fight in your ring. Thank you to her great opponents such as Hailey Hatred and Cheerleader Melissa who gave her the opportunity to fully develop as a fierce competitor. Mostly, I need to say a special thank you to the amazing Mercedes Martinez who shared the ring with her many times. Thank you for sharing your experience and being so patient. Kalamity will always be thankful.

It’s really tough for me to write all this but it is my pleasure to do so on her behalf. Again, please respect this decision and her privacy.

To Kalamity, I love you and I’m proud of everything you achieved. You made this old heart beat again and filled with pride every time I watched you in the squared circle. Life goes on and I’ll always be there for you.

LuFisto

Kalamity has improved leaps and bounds on the regular since her debut and was a really exciting prospect.
    :cry:

Dyvim Tvar on
  • Options
    Damn TNA for having so many of the wrestlers I want to see wrestle.

I think that Q-Pro show having Bad Influence on it is a good example of what's wrong with TNA. They're wrestlers have to go work indy shows to supplement their income. They are working for the second biggest wrestling promotion in America and that can't support them.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    According to Meltzer, the current planned/scheduled main event for the July 14th Money In The Bank is
    Cena defending the WWE title against Daniel Bryan

yessss, pull the trigger Vince, make Daniel Bryan champ

• Options
    edited June 2013
    According to Meltzer, the current planned/scheduled main event for the July 14th Money In The Bank is

tumblr_inline_mkja8mqkWl1ryv9ki.gif

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I wish I could be excited about that, but the pessimist in me wants to point out it just means he will be turned heel then fed to Cena.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I wish I could be excited about that, but the pessimist in me wants to point out it just means he will be turned heel then fed to Cena.
    Tweener at best. I don't think Daniel Bryan ever gets booed again in his life.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    they might after he wins the triple threat between him, Kane, and Undertaker at Wrestlemania, finally proving he is not the weak link.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options

I'm only down for this if they don't turn Bryan full heel. I doubt they will though since they need all the credible faces they can get right now.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm going to agree with Betman and say
    as long as Bryan keeps doing what he's done for the last month, there's no way the fans completely boo him, no matter who he's doing it to.

Plus, you know, MITB is in Philly. And Meltzer says
    at the moment he isn't planned to be booked as a heel.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    I can dig a crazy Daniel Bryan going out to prove he's not the weak link by taking on Cena for the title

• Options
    Turning Kane heel would be way easier than turning Bryan heel. Kane insists Bryan is the weak link and sneak attacks him. Then they have a match where Bryan wins as the underdog because he's smaller and every fan is behind him. D-Bry in Philly would be so over as a face against Cena. It would be the best thing. I'm excited just thinking about it. Kane can then demand a rematch after Bryan wins and Bryan once again proves he's not the weak link and then goes on to beat Punk's title reign length.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    it's really cool watching a legend be born

This discussion has been closed.