Options

SE++ House of Style [fashion/beauty thread]

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    my tiny freezer is now full of ice creams

not sure why
    i keep buying them

my brother brought me four pints of ice creams when he came to visit!

I said "thanks for buying me all this ice cream, jeez"
    awkward silence
    me: "thanks for shoplifting all this ice cream for me"
    mike: "theeeere we go"

(my brother is an avid shoplifter/dumpster diver/anarchist, he knows this practice makes me uncomfortable)

man

id freak the fuck out and throw the ice cream out of guilt and have nightmares about this for years

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    They have that brand of gelato at giant! I love it so, I usually get that brand as a palate cleanser between Ben and Jerry's pints

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea how to speed up repair of damage to nails? My thumbails recently both got peel-y and damaged at the cuticle end, a mix of working with hands and being careless. I've kept them nail polish free and the dis-colouring has gone, I just want the top layer to heal back over. Its not painful but doesn't look nice close up. I moisturise my hands and nails at night.

Burt's bees cuticle cream! Solar oil is also good.

Googling, hopefully if I can't find them I can find a UK equivalent - thanks Bits!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I got free ice cream from the ice cream place in my neighbourhood. Their bank machine was down and I had no cash.

I went back a week later to get another and told them to charge me for two.

Good deed done, yay ice cream!

I dropped it as I went out the door, fuck you karma.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You guys are being cheated. A pint is 568ml.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    TALENTI_Banana-Chocolate-Swirl-LG.jpg

my brother brought me this last weekend

it is deadly
    this reminds me, we have banana slagroom vla in the fridge. (i swear, i didn't make up those words.) i'm not often a fan of pudding, but vla is pretty decent! there's your Dutch Tip of the Day: vla is worth a sampling!
    Kochikens wrote: »
    my tiny freezer is now full of ice creams

not sure why
    i keep buying them
    you are trying to woo tynic and i back to your apartment. this is a pretty solid tactic.

... did i ever tell you guys about how i, with utter drunken confidence, nailed a Trivial Pursuit question about Haagen Daaz 'Five' ice creams? like, i did the little wave-off at my team and said, "I got this."

yeah

yeah

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    it's not a particularly interesting story, but it keeps being relevant!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    smof wrote: »
    You guys are being cheated. A pint is 568ml.

Depends on the sort of pint.

US Liquid pints are 473.2 ml.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Can never have too much ice-cream.

We have a dedicated ice-cream drawer in our freezer. Well, ice-cream and frozen rats. But we had to overflow into two drawers this week because myself and my housemate both bought ice-cream at the same time. The most delicious mistake!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Now I'm going to go eat some Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy

• Options
    let me tell you about the three pints of ben & jerrys (strawberry cheesecake, dublin mudslide, caramel sutra) and big box of ice cream sandwiches in my freezer. also two weekends back i had half a cookie puss ice cream cake in there, gone in a few days. my excuse is that its summer!

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I sat on my deck in the sun and had some coffee ice cream about an hour ago

Ice cream is the best!

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    Talenti is the best.

Pro tip: it goes really well with sparkling wine!

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I had some green tea, it cured my icecream problems.

Now i don't know what to do with this mini tub of ben and jerry's dough-ble whammy. Anyone is welcome to have it, it's good but I ate two spoonfuls and it made me ill.

• Options
    Futore tip: everything goes really well with champagne.

bubbles make the world better

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    green tea ice cream is fucking amazin

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I just bought shorts and solid color v-neck t-shirts from Target.

Am I doing this fashion stuff right, Fashion Tread?

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    two different threads talking about ice cream, neither is the food thread.

i found a sushi place here that has sesame, green tea, and red bean. the sashimi was passable, but it was worth it for that bowl of ijs.

ohhhh man i should totally get an ice cream maker when i get back to Austin...

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    TALENTI_Banana-Chocolate-Swirl-LG.jpg

my brother brought me this last weekend

it is deadly

this company makes gelato pops too and oh my god

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    If anyone ever gets a chance to try...

Deep South New Zealand Premium Ice Cream is decadence without restraint.

I mean, NZ is pretty much the world's largest Dairy Farm. All we do is Beef, and Cheese, and Milk, and Butter.

And Ice Cream. Boy, do we do Ice Cream. And Deep South... takes it to a whole other level. I didn't think it was possible for me to be genuinely surprised by something called simply 'vanilla'. I was wrong.

So yeah, if you ever get the chance, I recommend it. Or NZ Ice Cream in general. Because we're really, really good at it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Ice cream makers seem like a great idea! I used to have an ice shaver you had to crank, and would make myself snow cones all the dang time, with fancy syrups and everything, till the crank broke :( I used to tell myself the act of shaving the ice and the sweating throughout the day was enough of a workout on summer days

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

I mean, NZ is pretty much the world's largest Dairy Farm. All we do is Beef, and Cheese, and Milk, and Butter.

And Ice Cream. Boy, do we do Ice Cream. And Deep South... takes it to a whole other level. I didn't think it was possible for me to be genuinely surprised by something called simply 'vanilla'. I was wrong.

So yeah, if you ever get the chance, I recommend it. Or NZ Ice Cream in general. Because we're really, really good at it.

looks like i'm moving to new zealand

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My brother in law is an artisanal icecream maker. I always feel guilty for not liking icecream more when he's around.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Futore wrote: »
    Talenti is the best.

... oh my god

i need some moscato yesterday

• Options

And sheep. Lots and lots and lots of sheep.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Not as much as you might think; when the UK and France screwed us out of the European markets in the 80's, it more or less crippled the lamb/wool sector (you know, only the primary industry of the entire fucking country at that time). We have more or less spent 20 years retasking our entire agricultural sector from making wool and lamb for England to meet emerging markets demands for beef and dairy (particularly China). The view of NZ as a sheep farm is an antiquated one that doesn't really reflect the modern reality of our agricultural sector.

That said, the sector still exists, NZ lamb is still considered a premier cut of meat, and the view NZ == Sheep is an important one, particularly for tourism and branding reasons.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

@lonelyahava we need to add going for ice cream to the list!

Ugh, I wish I could just have ice cream whenever I felt like it. Then again, I'd probably be a fat slob if I could.

I just bought shorts and solid color v-neck t-shirts from Target.

Am I doing this fashion stuff right, Fashion Tread?

Not quite.

You forgot pictures.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Futore wrote: »
    Talenti is the best.

... oh my god

i need some moscato yesterday

scoop of talenti gelato into sparkling would make the bougiest of floats

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    @sheri ! Just saw the sytycd episode. Oh my gosh I hope the adorable blonde pixie girl still makes it even though they show her getting carte off. Also I totally loved the trapeze girl. I think I may have a thing for circus performers (see eliana last season) D:

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    i don't think i'll ever fully get over the cancellation of america's best dance crew

such a travesty

• Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    Thanks thread, I bought some ice cream sandwiches at the grocery store tonight.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    Building up your abs is going to make you thicker in the waist. You want wider shoulders and a thicker back and neck to make your waist look smaller.

I'm not adverse to gettin' swole, but it isn't the profile/width that is the issue. I don't have a bunch of fat around the waist, I just have a gut out front that annoys me. If you look at me from the back it misleads you into thinking I'm pretty fit. :lol:

Ab work still won't do much for the gut
    You'll need some kind of high intensity cardio for that, but I'm not the best one to tell you

Yeah, which is why I'm like "hey I need help figuring out how to work out without fucking up my diabetes and rebounding on a bunch of sugar" to my doctors and annoyed that I get no help. :|

I don't know that the fitness thread has anyone knowledgeable on that particular challenge but I'm mostly just bitching about body image right now sorry. :P

seems like the sort of question an endocrinologist would answer?

I can check with my diabetic wife when I get home, seems like the sort of thing she would have some advice on. Are you type 1 or 2?

Type 1, and the doctor in question is my endocrinologist. I'm not really pleased that she seems to not take it that seriously, so long as I'm not obese she's happy about my body, and sure I'm not really trying to address a health issue here, but I mean it couldn't hurt to get more regular activity right?

I even have trouble keeping up regular running without having to treat hypos more than usual.

@Infidel of course this the advice of someone with diabetes and a health promotion degree, not a medical degree but I did ask my wife as she's done a fair number of active sports while diabetic (fencing, karate, figure skating)

Based on what she said it sounds like you're sticking to your regular food/insulin routine, and then taking in additional food to replace what you burn off with the exercise, which you've rightly noted doesn't really get you anywhere

what she does (and of course whether or not this works for you depends on the type(s) of insulin you use, method of delivery, and how well you control your sugars) is reduce the amount of insulin she takes before exercising based on the amount of exercise anticipated. She uses a fast acting insulin during the day (humalog) and self-injects after meals or as needed, and for her she reduces the amount of insulin by up to half for a 1-2 hour workout

she's been doing this for years and while she claims to be bad at math is some kind of wizard when it comes to calculating doses so your mileage may vary, and even then she's not perfect - sometimes she has to take a bit more insulin if the exercise wasn't as intense as expected, or have some juice after if she overdid it. She also tends to go low sugars more easily than high on a regular day.

hope this helps, or at least gives you some ideas to bounce off your endo

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Not as much as you might think; when the UK and France screwed us out of the European markets in the 80's, it more or less crippled the lamb/wool sector (you know, only the primary industry of the entire fucking country at that time). We have more or less spent 20 years retasking our entire agricultural sector from making wool and lamb for England to meet emerging markets demands for beef and dairy (particularly China). The view of NZ as a sheep farm is an antiquated one that doesn't really reflect the modern reality of our agricultural sector.

That said, the sector still exists, NZ lamb is still considered a premier cut of meat, and the view NZ == Sheep is an important one, particularly for tourism and branding reasons.

I still saw a whole mess o'sheep when my wife and I drove around the south island for our honeymoon a few years ago

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    guys
    if you have pore problems at all
    like big pores on your face

try this

http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/the-porefessional

i was given a tube of it as a sample, just in passing
    and i tried it because why the heck not

it is wizardry

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    here are some dresses i am considering buying (feel free to suggest some - must be to knee or lower, and cover shoulders, with not too deep of neck - work appropriate. in some cases i can wear a cardigan, but i'll be going to a lot of overly warm places.)

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/hepcat-dress-in-clover
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/hepcat-dress-in-cherry
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/about-the-artist-dress
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/featured-speaker-dress
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/live-and-let-diamond-dress (i bet this would look terrible on me but i still love it ... especially the name)
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/co-op-artist-dress-in-blue-motif
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/heart-and-solar-system-dress (SO TEMPTED. i'd be miss frizzle!!)

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    We talking about icecream in here?

I had pavlova icecream a couple of weeks ago.

It was like staring into the face of a god.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    So I am totally wearing that red corset in a bar downtown.

I look hot as hell

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @infidel:: of course we'll take you for ice cream. Silly boy. :P you got your tickets sorted out yet?

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Granted, I'm nervous as hell and kind of irritated that nobody is asking me for sex, but still

This discussion has been closed.