Options

SE++ House of Style [fashion/beauty thread]

12357100

Posts

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    kind of irritated that nobody is asking me for sex

    Story of my life, sister

  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Sheri wrote: »
    Maaan

    this
    I used to literally have goosebumps when I see people with a skin condition. I’d think to myself ‘Why doesn’t she see a skin doctor?’, ‘Why would anyone leave the house like that?’. Or even on a more superficial level ‘How could people leave the house without makeup?’. To me, making up is a form of respect, for the event, for the host, for the people around me.

    This ordeal has shed light to the fact that actually, there could be plenty of reasons why people look… well, different. Most of the time, they didn’t choose to look like that, they were just born this way… I will learn to see more of what’s inside a person – a good nature, a pure heart, a fighter.

    not gonna lie

    at first, reading this irritated me to no end, and there was a tiny bit of me that was glad she learned this lesson

    I wonder if it isn't because she's from Singapore and this was the attitude of most of the girls I have ever run into in a store in Singapore (I have told countless stories abou these, some of you may recall)

    but the larger part of me, well, I feel so sorry for her, because no one should have to experience this to learn that lesson; it's just called empathy, you know? it's a damned shame, and I can't imagine going through what she is going through

    I mean, I have really bad skin, but at least my face is clear; I feel for her

    I really do hope she recovers and stops getting those stupid extractions and actually see a dermatologist instead of a facial therapist who very obviously has no idea what they're doing

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    oops double post

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    mully wrote: »
    guys
    if you have pore problems at all
    like big pores on your face

    try this

    http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/the-porefessional

    i was given a tube of it as a sample, just in passing
    and i tried it because why the heck not

    it is wizardry

    couldn't agree more!

    proof - http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/25916677#Comment_25916677
    And also I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Porefessional Primer. I had bad-ish skin for maybe a year, and that was enough to really do a number on my pores. Since stretched pores can't really be shrunken, I've been thinking about primer. Toner only gives me temporary results.

    I forgot to answer this! All primers will serve to blur out the appearance of your pores because they're basically a layer of translucent gel/cream on your face, but the POREfessional is my HG for a few reasons:

    1. It's tinted, which actually also helps blur pores out and make them far less noticeable. I have gone a few days where I've worn just the primer alone and seen a difference in my appearance. But it's also not SO tinted that you need to worry about shade-matching or anything like that. It's quite pale, but I've never had an issue with it.

    2. Lower dimethicone content. If you've ever touched the Smashbox primer (or the Monistat gel that is a great dupe for it), which is renown for having one of the highest dimethicone contents, it's got a firm, gel-like consistency and it smooths over your face and makes it feel crazy soft and velvety. Some girls like that feeling, but I personally don't. I don't really find that it helps with applying makeup any smoother and it also feels really heavy on my face. The POREfessional does not feel heavy at all.

    3. Mattifying. It's not the best mattifying or oil-controling primer out there, but it's still pretty good.

    4. Goes a long way. I'm still on my first tube, and I started using it over a year ago.

    I have major problems with my pores at the moment and thankfully the POREfessional totally minimizes it for me, to the extent that I don't need more than medium coverage foundation for them to not be a problem. But it's still an on-the-spot solution. When I was taking better care of my skin, my pores were definitely faring better - my regime was a rotation between an exfoliating mask and a deep-cleansing clay mask. Two weeks on the exfoliating mask (Lush's BB Seaweed; occasionally Love Lettuce if I had some really bad redness as well), then two weeks on the clay mask (Lush's Catastrophe Cosmetic). My skin had never looked better than when it was on this rotation.

    You could also double-up - exfoliate with a separate exfoliating product and then deep-cleanse with a clay mask - and do both regularly rather than rotate, but that's up to you. I reckon both functions are necessary to deal with problematic pores, as the exfoliater clears surface blockage and the mask gets in there to break up anything that's stuck. Toner only closes pores after you have cleansed to restrict oil production prior to moisturizing; it alone will do very little for the appearance of your pores.

    it is my go-to primer most days/nights, I only whip out the MAC Matte Gel if I know it's gonna be a hot day/night

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Maaan

    this
    I used to literally have goosebumps when I see people with a skin condition. I’d think to myself ‘Why doesn’t she see a skin doctor?’, ‘Why would anyone leave the house like that?’. Or even on a more superficial level ‘How could people leave the house without makeup?’. To me, making up is a form of respect, for the event, for the host, for the people around me.

    This ordeal has shed light to the fact that actually, there could be plenty of reasons why people look… well, different. Most of the time, they didn’t choose to look like that, they were just born this way… I will learn to see more of what’s inside a person – a good nature, a pure heart, a fighter.

    not gonna lie

    at first, reading this irritated me to no end, and there was a tiny bit of me that was glad she learned this lesson

    I wonder if it isn't because she's from Singapore and this was the attitude of most of the girls I have ever run into in a store in Singapore (I have told countless stories abou these, some of you may recall)

    but the larger part of me, well, I feel so sorry for her, because no one should have to experience this to learn that lesson; it's just called empathy, you know? it's a damned shame, and I can't imagine going through what she is going through

    I mean, I have really bad skin, but at least my face is clear; I feel for her

    I really do hope she recovers and stops getting those stupid extractions and actually see a dermatologist instead of a facial therapist who very obviously has no idea what they're doing

    Thank you for putting this into words

    I couldn't quite express it without sounding like a bitch

    But I've always thought "oh god I wonder what people are thinking about my skin right now" and usually people are like "Oh I don't even notice"

    So now I wonder, and I'm also very glad that my eczema is so much better

  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Maaan

    this
    I used to literally have goosebumps when I see people with a skin condition. I’d think to myself ‘Why doesn’t she see a skin doctor?’, ‘Why would anyone leave the house like that?’. Or even on a more superficial level ‘How could people leave the house without makeup?’. To me, making up is a form of respect, for the event, for the host, for the people around me.

    This ordeal has shed light to the fact that actually, there could be plenty of reasons why people look… well, different. Most of the time, they didn’t choose to look like that, they were just born this way… I will learn to see more of what’s inside a person – a good nature, a pure heart, a fighter.

    not gonna lie

    at first, reading this irritated me to no end, and there was a tiny bit of me that was glad she learned this lesson

    I wonder if it isn't because she's from Singapore and this was the attitude of most of the girls I have ever run into in a store in Singapore (I have told countless stories abou these, some of you may recall)

    but the larger part of me, well, I feel so sorry for her, because no one should have to experience this to learn that lesson; it's just called empathy, you know? it's a damned shame, and I can't imagine going through what she is going through

    I mean, I have really bad skin, but at least my face is clear; I feel for her

    I really do hope she recovers and stops getting those stupid extractions and actually see a dermatologist instead of a facial therapist who very obviously has no idea what they're doing

    Thank you for putting this into words

    I couldn't quite express it without sounding like a bitch

    But I've always thought "oh god I wonder what people are thinking about my skin right now" and usually people are like "Oh I don't even notice"

    So now I wonder, and I'm also very glad that my eczema is so much better

  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I found a brand of icecream that won international awards.

    I shared barely any of it with Vivienne because it was that good and I barely feel bad about it at all.

    There is a reason I rarely buy icecream. I must eat it all.

  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I found a brand of icecream that won international awards.

    I shared barely any of it with Vivienne because it was that good and I barely feel bad about it at all.

    There is a reason I rarely buy icecream. I must eat it all.

    yet you complain to me about me being bad at sharing

    :c

    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    on the topic of facials

    there's really no actual need for a chemical peel or any facial more intense than a mask

    we don't know what products she used, but honestly, if you're under the age of 50, at-home masks are going to be more than good enough

    exfoliating masks rotated with deep-cleansing clay/mud masks, or a moisturizing mask if you have very dry skin

    any of the Lush Fresh Face masks will be good - though of course check for potential allergens prior to putting ANYTHING on your face - and they have a really good mix of clay-based and exfoliating masks for a variety of skin-types

    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Maaan

    this
    I used to literally have goosebumps when I see people with a skin condition. I’d think to myself ‘Why doesn’t she see a skin doctor?’, ‘Why would anyone leave the house like that?’. Or even on a more superficial level ‘How could people leave the house without makeup?’. To me, making up is a form of respect, for the event, for the host, for the people around me.

    This ordeal has shed light to the fact that actually, there could be plenty of reasons why people look… well, different. Most of the time, they didn’t choose to look like that, they were just born this way… I will learn to see more of what’s inside a person – a good nature, a pure heart, a fighter.

    not gonna lie

    at first, reading this irritated me to no end, and there was a tiny bit of me that was glad she learned this lesson

    I wonder if it isn't because she's from Singapore and this was the attitude of most of the girls I have ever run into in a store in Singapore (I have told countless stories abou these, some of you may recall)

    but the larger part of me, well, I feel so sorry for her, because no one should have to experience this to learn that lesson; it's just called empathy, you know? it's a damned shame, and I can't imagine going through what she is going through

    I mean, I have really bad skin, but at least my face is clear; I feel for her

    I really do hope she recovers and stops getting those stupid extractions and actually see a dermatologist instead of a facial therapist who very obviously has no idea what they're doing

    My reaction to reading it was, well at least she learned a lesson?

    That she should have learned when she was six.

  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    another lesson one can learn when one is six is that sharing is caring

    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Blake and I had a light-hearted exchange last night that basically led to him turning to me and saying, "honey, our kids are going to be assholes".

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    another lesson one can learn when one is six is that sharing is caring

    Well then you should remember that.

  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    a question:

    why is this a better option than just wearing a hoodie and a neck pillow at the same time

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    a question:

    why is this a better option than just wearing a hoodie and a neck pillow at the same ti...

    forget it, jake

    it's chinatown

  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I found a brand of icecream that won international awards.

    I shared barely any of it with Vivienne because it was that good and I barely feel bad about it at all.

    There is a reason I rarely buy icecream. I must eat it all.

    Funny you should mention that, because the International Ice Cream Consortium 2013 awards went out this week...
    Tip Top Ice Cream isn’t shy of fame and gongs right here in New Zealand, as demonstrated by its medal haul at this year’s New Zealand Ice Cream Awards.-

    But a recent global award has placed a Tip Top ice cream number one in the world as voted by other ice cream makers.

    The International Ice Cream Consortium (IICC) has awarded Tip Top Crammed Jammin’ Cream Donut the coveted award of Best Ice Cream at the last annual conference.

    [...]

    "When awarding the ‘Best Ice Cream’ category, our judges are looking for the best sensory experience - taste, texture and the varying sensations you’re experiencing as the flavours unfold," Gerhard shares.

    "Overwhelming feedback from members was that Crammed Jammin’ Cream Donut really hit all the senses."

    Gerhard was not surprised to learn that New Zealanders are one of the biggest consumers of ice cream in the world, per capita, advising that ice cream manufacturers are only as good as the quality of commodities and freshness of ingredients at their disposal.

    "New Zealand ice cream is rich and creamy compared to other countries that simply don’t have access to abundant sources of dairy. New Zealand ice cream significantly benefits from this fresh dairy and a wealth of other natural ingredients available to them.

    "Indeed, Tip Top Crammed Jammin’ Cream Donut contains no artificial colours or flavours, which is testament to this."

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    having family/friends who work at Fonterra is a good thing for ice cream for me.

    and a bad thing for me in general

  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    @lonelyahava have you ever make it out to Takapuna Beach Cafe? They've taken the Best Boutique Ice Cream at the nationals 4 of the last 5 years.

    I'm kinda curious.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Hey thread

    You know those days you just want to empty your bank account and buy yourself the prettiest clothes?

    Yeah

  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Hey thread

    You know those days you just want to empty your bank account and buy yourself the prettiest clothes?

    Yeah

    you mean "every day of my life"

  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    cause yeah i do know

  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    On the plus side, apart from some 2 day stubble I guess I'm happy with how I look today

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Hey thread

    You know those days you just want to empty your bank account and buy yourself the prettiest clothes?

    Yeah

    no

    what days are these, are they a lunar calendar thing

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Hey thread

    You know those days you just want to empty your bank account and buy yourself the prettiest clothes?

    Yeah

    no

    what days are these, are they a lunar calendar thing

    leap year

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Hey thread

    You know those days you just want to empty your bank account and buy yourself the prettiest clothes?

    Yeah

    no

    what days are these, are they a lunar calendar thing

    emptyquote

  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    hi can i have opinions please

    my dad has offered to pay for/help pay for lasik

    but i'm quite attached to glasses and think they make me more attractive

    but they really do get in the way sometimes, and if they break i'm fucking useless, i'm quite blind

    it really boils down to do you guys think i could pull off glassesless better/as well as glasseses?
    2d0j3lP.jpg
    0hx9jvE.jpg[img][/img]
    i have weird shaped eyes i feel like they hide them

    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    glasses

    need everyone i know to continue being a part of glasses so i can continue to be the supreme ruler of non-glasses earth

  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    you could definitely pull off no glasses

  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    no joke it is the weirdest thing seeing people you've only known with glasses taking glasses off it's like woah whered the mask go?

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Oghulk wrote: »
    no joke it is the weirdest thing seeing people you've only known with glasses taking glasses off it's like woah whered the mask go?

    but how could nobody realize that clark kent is superman...

  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    hi can i have opinions please

    my dad has offered to pay for/help pay for lasik

    but i'm quite attached to glasses and think they make me more attractive

    but they really do get in the way sometimes, and if they break i'm fucking useless, i'm quite blind

    it really boils down to do you guys think i could pull off glassesless better/as well as glasseses?
    2d0j3lP.jpg
    0hx9jvE.jpg[img][/img]
    i have weird shaped eyes i feel like they hide them

    I think you could pull off the glasses-less look. I will also say that taking off your glasses doesn't really give you a completely accurate picture of wearing contacts. Because when you can't see clearly, you do little weird squinches with your eyes even when you try not to. So what I'm saying is, if you aren't sure, can you try contacts first since it will give you a feel for being glasses-less? Or is your eyesight deficiency non-contact-corrective?

  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Okay

    That was a good counselling session I just had

    Wish I could go off and at least window shop to help me feel even better, but I gotta keep priorities straight and I've indulged a bit too much in clothes lately

    Plus I have yoga later so I suppose today's been about clearing my head

  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    And. Two posts in a row to say that now I want to buy maxi dresses and eat ice cream. Only there's no ice cream in this house. So when I spend all the monies on maxi dresses, I want you all to know it's all your fault fashion thread. All your fault.

  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    hi can i have opinions please

    my dad has offered to pay for/help pay for lasik

    but i'm quite attached to glasses and think they make me more attractive

    but they really do get in the way sometimes, and if they break i'm fucking useless, i'm quite blind

    it really boils down to do you guys think i could pull off glassesless better/as well as glasseses?
    2d0j3lP.jpg
    0hx9jvE.jpg[img][/img]
    i have weird shaped eyes i feel like they hide them

    I think you could pull off the glasses-less look. I will also say that taking off your glasses doesn't really give you a completely accurate picture of wearing contacts. Because when you can't see clearly, you do little weird squinches with your eyes even when you try not to. So what I'm saying is, if you aren't sure, can you try contacts first since it will give you a feel for being glasses-less? Or is your eyesight deficiency non-contact-corrective?
    it is, but i haven't had contacts in about five years now, though yeah i guess i am squinting huh

    well i appreciate the opinions, all of you! thank you very much.

    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    also, what the hell kind of shoes should a guy wear that aren't sneakers but also aren't dad chukkas? Something to walk around in, with a some support, without being sneakers or hiking boots? Clarks Desert Boots? The rest of their line doesn't really appeal to me. I have a completely worn out pair of Merrel shoes that are somewhere between sneaker and loafer, but most of their line is either hideous or aimed at the barefoot ninja bootie crowd and I need arch support.

    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The hell you say chukkas are for dads
    edit: oh apparently you were speaking of them separate from Clarks
    I guess I'm not really sure what "dad chukkas" are

    chukkas like my dad wears, that are more lumpy hiking boots than chukkas
    most of what merrel makes, that are not those weird barefoot bootie things
    most of what clarks makes, that are not loafers or desert boots

    i tried several different kinds of boat shoes a month or two ago
    i ended up with these sanuk things are sort of boat shoes and sort of mocassins
    they are super comfy, but the side seam, near my pinky toe, has come unglued
    :(
    Mysst wrote: »
    chelsea boots, if you're funky enough

    i don't think i am funky enough, and they look way too warm

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    what are these barefoot boots you speak of

  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    these things
    http://www.zappos.com/merrell-barefoot-vapor-glove-russet-orange

    these
    http://www.zappos.com/merrell-tahmira-lace-boulder
    look nice, and would appear to be a combo boat shoe/moc/slipper thing, but 75 dollars for a boat shoe/moc/slipper thing is a bit much

    these
    http://www.zappos.com/merrell-moab-ventilator-walnut
    are dad chukkas, by the by

    DouglasDanger on
This discussion has been closed.