Options

SE++ House of Style [fashion/beauty thread]

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Fishman, been past the Cafe twice. Now I think I know where we'll be taking @Infidel. Although there is always Movenpic. But that seems kind of.... classless. :P

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    I found a brand of icecream that won international awards.

I shared barely any of it with Vivienne because it was that good and I barely feel bad about it at all.

There is a reason I rarely buy icecream. I must eat it all.

Funny you should mention that, because the International Ice Cream Consortium 2013 awards went out this week...
    Tip Top Ice Cream isn’t shy of fame and gongs right here in New Zealand, as demonstrated by its medal haul at this year’s New Zealand Ice Cream Awards.-

But a recent global award has placed a Tip Top ice cream number one in the world as voted by other ice cream makers.

The International Ice Cream Consortium (IICC) has awarded Tip Top Crammed Jammin’ Cream Donut the coveted award of Best Ice Cream at the last annual conference.

[...]

"When awarding the ‘Best Ice Cream’ category, our judges are looking for the best sensory experience - taste, texture and the varying sensations you’re experiencing as the flavours unfold," Gerhard shares.

"Overwhelming feedback from members was that Crammed Jammin’ Cream Donut really hit all the senses."

Gerhard was not surprised to learn that New Zealanders are one of the biggest consumers of ice cream in the world, per capita, advising that ice cream manufacturers are only as good as the quality of commodities and freshness of ingredients at their disposal.

"New Zealand ice cream is rich and creamy compared to other countries that simply don’t have access to abundant sources of dairy. New Zealand ice cream significantly benefits from this fresh dairy and a wealth of other natural ingredients available to them.

"Indeed, Tip Top Crammed Jammin’ Cream Donut contains no artificial colours or flavours, which is testament to this."

Must be a rough fuckin' gig, chairing the International Ice Cream Consortium

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    That said, "Crammed Jammin'" is a ludicrously unpleasant combination of words

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Not just Crammed Jammin'.

Crammed Jammin’ Cream Donut.

If you offered me a serving of Crammed Jammin' Cream Donut, my first thought would not be that you were extending an invitation for ice cream.
    :winky:

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I have had another acne breakout. So I guess I didn't solve the problem, which is annoying to say the least.

I think I am gonna have to see a dermatologist because I really am out of ideas. Lame.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Just re: last thread

Never get married.

Unless that's what ya wanna do then go for it I guess

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mully wrote: »
    here are some dresses i am considering buying (feel free to suggest some - must be to knee or lower, and cover shoulders, with not too deep of neck - work appropriate. in some cases i can wear a cardigan, but i'll be going to a lot of overly warm places.)

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/hepcat-dress-in-clover
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/hepcat-dress-in-cherry
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/about-the-artist-dress
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/featured-speaker-dress
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/live-and-let-diamond-dress (i bet this would look terrible on me but i still love it ... especially the name)
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/co-op-artist-dress-in-blue-motif
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/heart-and-solar-system-dress (SO TEMPTED. i'd be miss frizzle!!)

i frickin' LOVE the 'about the artist' dress. But I have a major thing for greys, so.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    hi can i have opinions please

my dad has offered to pay for/help pay for lasik

but i'm quite attached to glasses and think they make me more attractive

but they really do get in the way sometimes, and if they break i'm fucking useless, i'm quite blind

it really boils down to do you guys think i could pull off glassesless better/as well as glasseses?
    2d0j3lP.jpg
    0hx9jvE.jpg[img][/img]
    i have weird shaped eyes i feel like they hide them

As I recall you're young (like 19?). Generally your prescription needs to be stable for a few years before most doctors will feel comfortable performing LASIK on you. Even if you haven't had any changes in the past couple of years I suspect most doctors would tell you to wait until you're 23-25 before getting it.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you've got a couple years to think about it.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    i like the glasses option which is why I don't want laser eye surgery, though I wear contacts most of the time

FAQ on
  • Options
    I think my eyes are past the threshold where laser is completely effective, so I'd still probably have to wear correction anyway. And regardless of how safe it is (and I know most people don't have any trouble), I get very nervous about my eyes. I've lost enough senses as it is.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I love the way I look in glasses, but my vision is great so I don't need any. At least I've got that to look forward to when I get older.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I got LASIK about 1 year ago this month, actually. Before I was -7.50 in each eye, so being able to see unassisted has been a pretty big deal for me. Over the years my eyes grew more irritated with contacts and I didn't like wearing glasses.

I will say I have been pretty lucky in terms of common LASIK side effects. I haven't had issues with dry eyes or high order aberrations (like halos around bright lights at night).

I was 27 then, 28 now. I figure I have 15 years or so before I need reading glasses. (The unavoidable side effect of LASIK is that if you were really myopic (like me) before you might've been able to avoid reading glasses/bifocals before, but afterward you almost certainly will need them when you get older.)

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah it wasn't immediate it was just a topic that came up and I was curious what people thought

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm probably gonna get LASIK at some point, but my last few trips to get contacts have been a different prescription every time and also not perfect (left eye is definitely blurrier than the right with my current pair) and I want to be sure I've got the right, mostly static prescription before someone starts shooting lasers at my face.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    swordfights, since you apparently have a few years before you can make the final decision, i'd recommend getting contacts and trying out the glasses-less look that way. you might find you prefer not wearing them after getting over the initial discomfort of the lenses

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    As a glasses and contacts wearer, I prefer no-glasses not because of how I look, but because I enjoy having peripheral vision.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    also, running (or any kind of jumping around) in glasses is just fucked. vision bumping everywhere.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Getting contacts again this weekend because people keep sneaking up on me to test my peripheral vision.

• Options
    you could be attacked by a mountain lion

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    i can verify that i have been attacked by 400% fewer mountain lions after switching to contacts

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    they don't make a big enough deal on that in the adverts

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    also, running (or any kind of jumping around) in glasses is just fucked. vision bumping everywhere.

it would seem your glasses are ill fitting. loose, as it were

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Futore wrote: »

it would seem your glasses are ill fitting. loose, as it were

probably? I don't know, I don't wear them for anything besides reading in bed.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    no joke it is the weirdest thing seeing people you've only known with glasses taking glasses off it's like woah whered the mask go?

but how could nobody realize that clark kent is superman...

holy shit

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    that sounds annoying. in bed is the only time i actively try to not wear my glasses. they'd be crushed!

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    that sounds annoying. in bed is the only time i actively try to not wear my glasses. they'd be crushed!

... i meant books, not instructions.

• Options
    EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Contacts always seem to really dry out my eyes after extended wear, so I opt for my glasses more often than not.

Also my vision isn't that bad so I can often get away without wearing either if I want.

fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I can't really wear contacts because my slight astigmatism is so slight they can't correct for it, but powerful enough to give me slight double vision

it's like being drunk all the time

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

... i meant books, not instructions.

Ahahaha

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular

i am far too blind not to put on glasses as soon as i take out my contacts

i've slept on my glasses a lot; they're pretty sturdy

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I used to wear contacts back in my school years, when they were paid for with my parents' insurance. Then I realized how expensive a year's worth of contacts can be and the scam of "special contact lenses eye exam" and everything else, and bought a pair of glasses on sale. I needed new glasses anyway, even if I was going to go with contacts, because I couldn't wear contacts all the time.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I can't wear contacts because my eyes are too small and set too far back in my face

also having something in my eyes is one of my most hated feelings in the world

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    you should have eyes on stalks like me

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    m2ax.jpg

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    yup

well, I wear my hair differently these days

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular

but they really do get in the way sometimes, and if they break i'm fucking useless, i'm quite blind

it really boils down to do you guys think i could pull off glassesless better/as well as glasseses?
    2d0j3lP.jpg
    0hx9jvE.jpg[img][/img]

Go for the Lasik! I had it done almost 10 years ago now and my eyesight is still perfect. Make sure you get... I think it's custom lasik. They have a computer map all the imperfections in your eye.

I think you can pull the glassesless look, and if you really wanted the look back just have non-prescription lenses put in your glasses; although I guess you'd be a faker then.

Seriously though being able to see without contacts or glasses is the best thing ever. I went from not being able to see 5 feet in front of me to being eagle eyed. Definitely do it!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Get LASIK

Wear vanity glasses

Problem solving.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »

2d0j3lP.jpg
    0hx9jvE.jpg[img][/img]

Go for the Lasik! I had it done almost 10 years ago now and my eyesight is still perfect. Make sure you get... I think it's custom lasik. They have a computer map all the imperfections in your eye.

I think you can pull the glassesless look, and if you really wanted the look back just have non-prescription lenses put in your glasses; although I guess you'd be a faker then.

Seriously though being able to see without contacts or glasses is the best thing ever. I went from not being able to see 5 feet in front of me to being eagle eyed. Definitely do it!

So this custom thing I wouldn't have to worry about the fact that I can never seem to get the right prescription for contacts?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Nooooooooo I am not a vanity glasses kind of guy that's not who I am I look down on that guy I'm douchey like that

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    But vanity glasses are rad

I wish I could find a pair that suited me

This discussion has been closed.