As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game On? Nethack

General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty ShameChurch for DogsRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Social Entropy++
It may not be multiplayer, but we can sure as hell post who gets the farthest.

[url]telnet://nethack.alt.org[/url]

Go there. Make an account and post your death screens here. Trust me, gentlemen, you will die.
In game, hit shift+o and you'll get the options and you can look at the keys from there.

This game is much more complex than it looks. I'm still twitching from the pure awesome that this game emits.
EDIT: Link fixed...

General Nemo on

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm pretty sure there's already a thread about this.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It appears I'm wrong, the only thread I can find is in G&T which is odd because I almost never go there. Personally I prefer some of the Angband variants.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    which variants, dru? i love angband too

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's already a thread about this.

There was, I don't know what the hell happened to it.

It's in the same place as the socks, pens, and hot gamer girls from the internet.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If I'm going to waste time at work playing a game, it's usually Astro Empires

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought we just had a thread on this, too, Druhim.

It evolved into all sorts of games one can play at work, though.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    which variants, dru? i love angband too

zangband and eyangband for the most part

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    god i love eyangband.

should i try zangband? i pretty much just play eyangband, so will it be hard to adapt?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The worst part of Nethack is when you die in the mid to late game, it's because you did something terminally stupid

E.g. this one after I had magic resistance, reflection, was crowned by Odin, had Mjollnir, conflict and regeneration, and like -20 AC a couple levels before Medusa
                           ----------
                          /          \
                         /    REST    \
                        /      IN      \
                       /     PEACE      \
                      /                  \
                      |      Ledneh      |
                      |     12449 Au     |
                      |   choked on an   |
                      | Olog-hai corpse  |
                      |                  |
                      |                  |
                      |       2007       |
            _________)/\\_//(\/(/\)/\//\/|_)_______

Farvel Ledneh the Valkyrie...

You choked in The Dungeons of Doom on dungeon level 22 with 207873 points,
    and 12449 pieces of gold, after 25963 moves.
    You were level 13 with a maximum of 118 hit points when you choked.

:downs:

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    god i love eyangband.

should i try zangband? i pretty much just play eyangband, so will it be hard to adapt?

The commands for zangband are pretty much identical. The main differences will be some different races, classes, and monsters as well as the magic system working differently. You cast spells the same way but if you create a spell caster you have to choose one or more schools of magic that determine what books you can use. Some classes give 2 schools of magic but there's 6 or 7 schools so you have to really think about what spells you want. I always play casters so this is one of the more noticable changes to me.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    KolchakKolchak Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Ahh Nethack, one of my favourite computer games.

I've been playing for about 5 years off and on, I've made one Ascension in that time. Lawful Male Human Knight. IMO Knight is kind of an underrated class to play; recently they've buffed it up a bit, too. Jumping can get you out of a lot of trouble early against stuff like soldier ants. Riding a big pet like a Ki-Rin is great too.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Furthest I ever got was level 6, on level 4 of the dungeon. This game is fucking hard.

Also, its annoying to have to remember the keyboard commands.

When you encounter a fountain, do you always drink from it?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wise_a wrote: »
    Furthest I ever got was level 6, on level 4 of the dungeon. This game is fucking hard.

Also, its annoying to have to remember the keyboard commands.

When you encounter a fountain, do you always drink from it?

Nah, save them. Sometimes you might want to #dip a whole bunch of useless potions in a fountain to make water, put 'em on an altar, and then #pray to make holy water. Or if you're lawful, you will want to #dip a longsword in the fountain to make Excalibur if you're a knight or valkyrie.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, any Lawful character can get Excalibur. It's just that Knights and Valkyries start out with a longsword so it's easier for them.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wow, those are neat nuggets. Anything else I'm missing? I always just drink them till they dry up, or a water elemental hops out and kicks my ass.

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    All it did to my longsword is rust it.

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Keep doing it.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Now it just says "interesting"

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sometimes Water Moccassins or an angry water demon will come out, but you will get it eventually.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No Points Name Hp [max]
    1 983 Lawmus-Val-Dwa-Fem-Law died in The Dungeons of Doom
    on level 4. Killed by a pony. - [47]

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The best advice I can give to someone starting in Nethack is to take your time. It's not a 'twitch' game and when you get in trouble, carefully consider everything you have available to escape the situation. Can you #pray yet? Do you have teleportation scrolls? Any wands you have that might help? If you've got a bit of breathing room, do you have a pickaxe you can dig through the floor to escape immediate danger with? Try to use everything at your disposal.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What do you do with all the gems you always find?

Is there a way to do something to identify all your possessions?

What about all the statues that are everywhere?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gems can be sold for cash of given to unicorns.

There are various ways of identifying stuff. The easiest is to use a Scroll of Identity (you have to find it first though)

Statues are just that, statues.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wise_a wrote: »
    What do you do with all the gems you always find?

Is there a way to do something to identify all your possessions?

What about all the statues that are everywhere?

If you identify a touchstone which is a kind of gray stone, you can rub that on unidentified gemstones to figure out what they are. Archaeologists start with one, which gives them a good way of making money. If you don't sell gems, you can throw them at co-aligned uniforms. They will catch them, and give you a bonus to your luck in return.

To ID stuff yeah, use a scroll of identify. A blessed one might identify everything.

Statues are just statues. If you have the stone to flesh spell, you might try messing around with it on them.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I thought you could break statutes or something like that.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    ohthecommotionohthecommotion Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok...seriously. How the fuck do you get things out of boxes and chests? You can't use open on them, you can kick them open but it doesn't give you anything, and the #loot command doesn't work. This is PLAGUING me.

Seconds after posting, I figured it out.

Are there any other tips for beginners? I liked the ones regarding fountains, I had no idea you could do anything with them. There seem to be a lot of lateral-thinking actions you can take. Praying yourself out of food poisoning took me a while to think of.

Last edit: Does EVERY spawn of the game have a way to get out of every level? I just got started in one that was just one room, no doors. I searched all over, and found one door, but it just leads to one space, and no further. More searching yielded nothing.

ohthecommotion on
    COME, my tan-faced children,
    Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
    Have you your pistols? Have you your sharp-edged axes?
    Pioneers! O pioneers!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You have to be standing over the chest, after you kicked it open. Then do loot.

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm partial to #force

you just stand over it and break the lock open, then loot. works like 99% of the time

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'll post more later, but one of the good basic things is that if you get a wish, the best thing to ask for unless you're a monk or wizard is blessed +2 grey dragon scale mail.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    How do you get a wish?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    IncessantAbuseIncessantAbuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wish == quaffing from a fountain and getting really lucky, or a blessed fountain and being moderately lucky, a wand of wishing, or a magic lamp.

Also, don't try to #force things with a blunt weapon, you'll smash the box ( good for dumping everything in if you don't have a bag of holding, locking it and burning Elbereth into the ground under it ) and sometimes everything in it.

IncessantAbuse on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Some basic tips:

To figure out if things are cursed early on, see if your pet will walk over them when they're on the ground. If they stay off that tile, it's cursed, or if it only moves reluctantly.

If you're lucky enough to find a Wand of Wishing, the first thing you must wish for is a blessed scroll of charging to recharge the scroll and get more wishes once it's used up.

The point of the Gnomish Mines aside from the amenities in Minetown (you'll need the candles in the lighting store later on) is the Luckstone at the bottom of the mine. The lowest floor is always one of 3 or 4 designs, you'll get to know it by layout or if you're new, when you can't dig through the floor, you're there. Anyway, no matter what layout it is, there will be a luckstone somewhere on it. Kick the grey stones you find on the ground. If you hurt your foot, it is a loadstone, which is a huge weight burden you can't drop unless you uncurse it. Horrible. If it moves, you're okay, it's either a touchstone, flint, or a luckstone. Luckstones will maintain your luck so good or bad luck doesn't time out for you; what you want to do is get some holy water and bless the luckstone so good luck never times out, but bad luck does. This gives you a big advantage in a lot of areas.

Go here and refer to the guides when you need to, this is probably the most comprehensive set of Nethack info out there, although it is a bit old the vast part of it still holds up. Figuring out the standardized prices of different stuff in shops so you can guess what they are without identifying them first is invaluable.

http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/

Kolchak on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I sadly haven't gotten past level 12 or so...And to think there are people who have beaten this game

General Nemo on