The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - A Kick in the Pants

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - A Kick in the Pants

The Creators confront the Artists on their home turf and present them with a new kind of challenge.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    This is fucking amazing! Didn't someone predict this? I am pretty sure someone absolutely called it... Man, this is going to make for GREAT viewing. Already I am REALLY liking what I am seeing. Unfortunately, I think this format does NOT favour Abby. I still think she has a very good chance, but I honestly didn't see her losing with the old format. Now, however, I think Abby is less of a threat and Maki is much MORE of a threat. In my estimation, Maki went from nearly being a no-hoper (solely due to the format) to being just as strong a competitor as Katie and Abby. Man, this is GREAT!

On a side note, I feel like Lexxy would have been very hard to beat with this format. That being said, similarly to Maki, I don't think she could have beaten Abby in the ninety minute format.

Lastly, and back on topic, I love everything that I am seeing. However, Katie's stuff is really resonating with me.

P.S. Just to clarify; I am not saying that I thought Maki was weak. I just didn't think that he was able to produce the same level of quality as the other remaining competitors in that time frame. Abby's ninety minute comics were just as good as the comics on her website; the format strongly favoured her as she was very nimble, and brutally effective, with joke crafting.

Spman2099 on
    nemmiemarecksaykayRampachslofloahdokBuchoendikufullofgraceAnana11zerzhulLavidiusMeester Scyllz
  • rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    "I hate you for creating me" - best quote

nemmiMKF36ElofloBuchozerzhulHanClinto
  • Mrs. SenMrs. Sen Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    Hah! Best twist ever.

Mrs. Sen on
    loflo
  • AkaiatanaAkaiatana Registered User regular
    Just finished. I am excited for the finale and devastated that we're only getting two more episodes.

Pre-emptively, thank you all for an amazing first season. It would be a dream to be a contestant in years to come.

Spman2099emarecksaykayMeester Scyllz
  • lympilympi Not A Doctor PortlandRegistered User regular
    To make a Battlestar Galactica analogy, this is the "Lay Down Your Burdens" episode of Strip Search.

It starts normal, leaps forward in time in the middle, and ends on a cliffhanger.

Sure, there are fewer Cylons and Maki's resemblance to Gaius is shaky at best, but all the ingredients are there.

emarecksaykaybrocadeRyadicBRASKYthatSOBInkstain82Hewn
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    Well.

That was unexpected.

And now to wait for a 2-part finale.

To paraphrase the geico slinky on an escalator... "This is going to be awweeessssoooommmmeee" :D

• nemminemmi Registered User regular
    THIS EPISODE

Spman2099
  • dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    I will be so lost and confused next Tuesday

steam_sig.png
    sbhendriAngry_SamoanemarecksaykayRampachsMaz-Erix The RedJayeEmmparmeisanzerzhulHanClintoPuddingpie
  • InvoluntaryPhilanthropistInvoluntaryPhilanthropist Registered User regular
    Maki is wearing a shirt with his face on it.

emarecksaykayAnana11
  • ObiRobKenobiObiRobKenobi Registered User regular
    I'm so excited! This is an awesome way to finish everything off! The only problem now is the wait!!!

I actually am not sure I'll even bother tuning to the first part of the finale on the 14th because I think the suspense between its end and the 18th may kill me.

sbhendrilofloWeaselsoupAnana11Puddingpie
  • sbhendrisbhendri Registered User new member
    I love this show. I do wonder why they aren't going to do an episode on Tuesday the 11th? Why change the schedule? I guess for E3 but it still seems odd.
    I have strong feelings for both Katie and Abby winning. Maki seems like he really could walk away with it though. His strip seemed more polished during the home visit. One criticism of his tshirt design however is that i feel just putting the logo on a t-shirt is not very impressive. Find a joke in those six strips that you feel is t-shirt worthy and do that.
    Based off of what little we saw of Abby's strip I would totally read her's, art and content wise I got a very JTHM vibe off of it.
    Katie seems like the one who could win and actually keep the momentum up. Also it struck me as odd that we saw to shots of her with a glass of wine.
    I will echo some sentiment that Lexxy would have done a good job on this challenge. that kick in the pants would have done her good or done her in. Also though it didn't serve her well in the 90 minute format a more serious strip might have set her well enough apart in this challenge to win.

• RhylosRhylos Registered User new member
    From the little bit of art that you can see, I'd bet my money on Maki. His fret wall looked very awesome.

• JekhtJekht Registered User regular
    Please someone buy Abby a Cintiq and a computer to run it! She's a fantastic artist and pencil has given her a swiftness of design few of the others can match, but she deserves to be using her industry's standard tools of the trade!

Spman2099Angry_SamoanRampachsemarecksaykayendikuparmeisanPuddingpie
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    This is great. This is one of the things that makes Strip Search such an incredible show, and so much better than any other reality show I've ever seen. Here, they've given these contestants the exposure, a look into the business aspects of webcomics, and now the push to get the final three started. I love it.
    And man, The Cloud Factory would have been awesome for this challenge.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    Spman2099lofloBuchofullofgracePuddingpie
    I almost forgot... "I hate you for creating me." That's hilarious...

lofloStarmie
  • nemminemmi Registered User regular
    Katie was really adorable this episode, moreso than usual. Her energy was contagious, am I'm on teamtangent.
    Damnit, I like them all. Just give them all jobs.

Spman2099StarmielofloRampachsBucho
  • MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *choke* *coff* AAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH.

CAT: OH HAI ARE YOU TRYING TO FILM IN HERE? TAKE A LOOK AT MY FACE. ISN'T IT GREAT? I'M A CAT, AND I CAN GET THROUGH AIRPORT SECURITY. WATCH.

I'm glad they timed it so we only have to wait a little bit. Will this be live? Will it be in front of a studio audience? Will Mike and Jerry finally, passionately kiss onscree- no wait, scratch that one.

I hate to say this, cause team tangent, but I feel a little worried about Abby's lack of studio gear as compared to Maki's and Katie's set ups. Still, fingers crossed!

MKF36E on
    edited June 2013
    I'm not really that worried about Abby's lack of studio gear, simply because talent is talent. She took down Erika, who I thought was one of the two heavy favorites to win this (along with Lexxy), and she also took down Tavis. Those are two wins against some really strong competition. Abby had tougher competition in her elimination rounds than Katie or Maki. That has to account for something.
    If Mike and Jerry are looking for the most polished looking comic, yeah, then I would be worried. But if they're looking for ideas and execution of those ideas, then I wouldn't be as concerned.

Angry_Samoan on
    emarecksaykaylofloHanClinto
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I do sort of wonder if we'll get yet another time-jump cliff-hangar with the next episode.

I think it's possible that this next episode will be only the presentations, and in fact the remaining three will once more return home, only to be flown back next week (literally) to get the final decision. There could be viewer participation, or Penny Arcade simply wanted to take their time to review or for security of the final decision. I don't think we can assume anything.

So, questions.

Will past eliminated strippers reappear to weigh in?
    Was the decision made immediately following the presentations, or even at all yet in real time?
    What purpose does the extra time serve between now and the start of the finale?
    When will the winner actually relocate to the PA offices?

And most importantly of all, when will Strip Search Season 2 start?

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    parmeisanSpman2099
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I purposefully will avoid freeze-framing this episode to spoil anything from their presentations, but from what little I saw as the video played, here's hoping all three strippers will indeed keep making their strips, win or lose. Also they should keep making their old strips too, because they're awesome.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    lofloA Concerned CitizenUNHchabo
  • lofloloflo Registered User regular
    Argh! Can't wait.

I loved the sneak peeks we saw of the work from all three contestants, and it was great to get a glimpse of how they work at home -- to see their setup, their sketch pads, their fret boards ( i absolutely need to get one of them. I've just been spreading stuff over my desk like a caveman).

This whole kick in the pants idea was brilliant. What a fantastic motivating twist.

HanClinto
  • YawnitzYawnitz Registered User regular
    I woke up from a dream about this show this morning.

Basically, Katie got so annoyed with something that she pretty much just up and quit the show. The dream continued, and Lexxy ended up doing the same thing.

When I woke up and pondered the dream, I realized there was something amiss.

In effect, I watched the show only to find out it was all a lie! So, I am exceedingly glad the video was up at 4:40 in the morning where I live so I could quell my overwhelming curiosity before I had to do the school thing.

Oh, yeah. There were also robins who made a nest in the house, and the nest got knocked down, and one of the chicks died. :-(

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I wonder why there isn't gonna be an episode on Tuesday. E3? Or does Graham simply need more time to edit two huge-ass episodes?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    too ... much ... *head explodes*

This was fantastic. A trip through time and space.

• Barthol O'MewBarthol O'Mew Registered User regular
    Pathetic, disappointing, disgusting and depressing.

Now (having said that; and I'm was just sayin') can we get back to the candy-in-a-bowl scandal-o-gate?

Thank you!

Spman2099
  • Barthol O'MewBarthol O'Mew Registered User regular
    Oh, and I forgot to mention "manipulative".

Spman2099
  • YawnitzYawnitz Registered User regular
    So, my less weird take on this whole thing:

Katie has been my favorite to win this whole thing for quite some time. It's really cool that she made it. Lexxy was one of my other choices. When she came back after that elimination, I was all the excite.

I was really happy that Abby pulled it out, even though I was kinda rooting against her until she actually rocked her first elimination.

Erika was the only one I knew about before the show started. I mostly knew about her from the first volume of Flight. I can't help but wonder if there are more contestants who contributed to that project. Well, it IS on my bookshelf.

Anyway, time to get ready for class.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    Shit just got real

Who called the 3 Way Elimination Finale? Someone did. Well done, someone.

Spoiler talk from freezeframing
    Of the glimpses shown, I think Abby's looks the most interesting; really neat variety to the character designs. Abby adding structure and carefully designed characters to her hilarious oneshot style humour is gonna be a deadly combo. Also there's a Hollow Man style guy wrapped in bandages in the group shot. Down for that. Then Maki's - I like the look of his protagonist, but it looks like a slice-of-life and while I like QC on occasion, it's gonna be hard to make it new and unique. I'm least hyped for Katie's but mainly cause they showed so little of it - just the rough sketches of one character. Unless the whole thing is gonna literally be done on notepads and scanned in, and that could be interesting on it's own too.

And miles to go before I sleep.
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    I definitely said I *wanted* it to be a 3-way final and that that would make better TV...

• xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    A new episode? Yes! They have to make new comics from scratch? Awesome idea! Finale will have to wait till next Friday and Tuesday? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu...!!
    And seeing this was filmed in, I wanna say February (maki was talking about being home for the christmas holiday season, 2 months later would be around February/March) it would mean they do in fact already have a winner for some time now. Unless they had to present it and no decision has been made and they have to return sometime this week or next week for the final decision. I wouldn't even be surprised if the live screening is in fact where the final decision happens. Announcing the winner in front of a cheering crowd has more gravitas than a "you won" in the challenge area.
    I do hope the other strippers will return in some fashion.

JDSterkenburgA Concerned CitizenNamebreaker54MKF36EPuddingpie
  • maplebeemaplebee Registered User regular
    EPPIIICCC!

• KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Oh my god. That was amazing. I loved seeing into their sketches and process even if it was just a little bit- I'm really hyped for the finale. I'm not sure who to even root for at this point, they're all so talented.

JDSterkenburgA Concerned CitizenPuddingpie
  • N.A.P.A.N.A.P.A. JonBrownathan Virginia Beach VirginiaRegistered User regular
    Maki's t-shirt design was done very well and i was impressed by abbys idea but i have no idea what katie's comic or t-shirt looks like!!

thequestors.cp,
    A Concerned Citizen
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    "I'm sorry, I'm so cheesy."

Never apologize for a touching, refreshing, heartfelt reaction, and never change, Katie! Looking forward to the giant rabbits all 3 finalists pull out of their respective hats.

A Concerned CitizenfullofgraceFrodoLiveszerzhulMKF36EPuddingpie
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    let's get this right.

6 strips
    3 character bios
    1 title
    1 t-shirt design.

GUYSE. Stripsearch Home Edition just got hot.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    ArbitraryDescriptorJDSterkenburgparmeisanNamebreaker54Anana11zerzhulHanClintodjmitchellaBRASKYthatSOBUNHchaboMKF36E
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Perfect.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    HEY LEXXY

DID YOU HEAR

ABBY SAID SHE CAN KICK YOUR BUTT

3:30

AFTER SCHOOL

PLAYGROUND

BE THERE

but, naw... that was a great episode.

What if I don't wanna wait a week? Huh? What then?

walrus.png
    Lamp
  • WoljaWolja Registered User new member
    Great challenge. Great test of all the bits done over the previous x days. Ability, time management , endurance. Not enough running for Maki though :(

Go #TeamMaki. Us bearded fat guys have to stick together even though I think Abby will win.

• MonkeyKing1969MonkeyKing1969 Library Man Cape CodRegistered User regular
    Okay, is it just me or does anyone want them all to win. If I were Mike and Jerry I would just set up a third office and put all three of them in it. Three comic, not just one, seems like a lot; but why would you let such talent escape? The plan might have been to support one artist for a year, but when presented with Maki, Abby and Katie how could you resist not taking on all three.

Maybe, it is selfish to want all three to win, but I think there is an lucrative opportunity for what all three could bring to a new office...even if just for a year. The continuing adventure of Maki, Abby and Katie in the office would be a big seller.

RansonA Concerned CitizenWeaselsoupMKF36EPuddingpie
  • WalterJKovacsWalterJKovacs Registered User regular
    That's an awesome finale, an as far as second/third place prizes go ... the kick in the pants to start a new comic combined with a starting audience from the Strip Search viewership is pretty sweet.

Maki's and Abby's seem very different from their current stuff (just going from sort of one off stuff to an ongoing narrative is already a big leap, but Abby's looks to be some kind of cool monstery thing, while Maki's seems like a more down to earth thing. I'm interested to see what Katie has in store.

Needless to say, all three are going up on my list of bookmarks as soon as they start showing up.

JDSterkenburgBuchoA Concerned Citizen