Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - A Kick in the Pants

• mtdewmtdew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Haha holy shit Abby had a whole new series waiting up her sleeve.

beware the can of mountain dew
    stomping around and craving blood
    Puddingpie
  • KazitronKazitron Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I imagined for the final challenge, they'd all get a specific combination of topics - Waste Basket of Broken Dreams-style - , and would have to come up with a story arc about these topics, including characters, within a week or two.

So I was right! Sort of! A little bit! Go me.

On a serious note, I'm really stoked to see the results; While I have an Abb-vious favorite, I really think pretty much everyone who's made it this far (and some more who didn't!) would deserve to win. Also, Maki's shirt design looks dope.

Kazitron on
  • LetterAfterZLetterAfterZ Registered User regular
    But wait... What's the trap in the house that the creators mentioned in the first episode?

RansonKazitronA Concerned CitizenJoe ChinNamebreaker54Puddingpie
  • JayeEmmJayeEmm Registered User regular
    I am both beyond excited to see all three of their strips, and sad that this means the show will have to end. I don't think I've ever been this emotionally invested in any reality show. I also just realized how much I'm gonna miss reading the comments here - many an hour was wasted at work spent enjoying the discussion (and disagreements) almost as much as the actual show. You guize! *sniffle*

I can't even bring myself to root for one artist to win over the others. All three have gained a fan in me.
    Well done, LRR and PA!

endikuJDSterkenburgA Concerned CitizenWeaselsoupMKF36EMeester Scyllz
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Serious commentary:

1) This is awesome
    2) No stripsearch on Tuesday? WHAT WILL I DO?
    3) The final is gonna be incredible
    4) I am so incredibly hungry for the results from this.
    5) Filming 2 months in advance to fit this in was a stroke of genius.

These thoughts all sprung to mind. But for me, they have been cowed into a corner of my mind by a much larger and bigger thought that's bouncing around my skull and making it hard for me to think about anything else. I'm not trying to sideline the show, or detract from the incredible work of Maki,Abby and Katie. I'm sure it'll be incredible and I'm so hungry to see it. But another concern has taken me over.

The timescale and level of challenge is just right to push them to do something beyond their current oeuvre. But that doesn't just apply to them, it can apply to me, or any of the other people who have been playing along at home.

So, do we do this? Do we go for it? Do we meet up back here on August 7 and show the internets what we could do? The question is open, the challenge is there if we want it - but are any of us willing to step up to the challenge? I feel like this could be a cross-roads. A challenge this big could be a kick in the pants for anyone, and if any of the artists here, or even any of the eliminated artists go for it, this could be the start of something fantastic.

I don't have any ideas, and I wasn't prepared for this but... I'm game if you are.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    A Concerned CitizenfullofgraceSpman2099Namebreaker54dejavu,againMeester Scyllz
  • JDSterkenburgJDSterkenburg Registered User regular
    I like this show so hard.

eldercoreMeester Scyllz
  • FnordalFnordal Registered User regular
    wow. just wow.

• RansonRanson Registered User new member
    Okay, is it just me or does anyone want them all to win. If I were Mike and Jerry I would just set up a third office and put all three of them in it. Three comic, not just one, seems like a lot; but why would you let such talent escape? The plan might have been to support one artist for a year, but when presented with Maki, Abby and Katie how could you resist not taking on all three.

Maybe, it is selfish to want all three to win, but I think there is an lucrative opportunity for what all three could bring to a new office...even if just for a year. The continuing adventure of Maki, Abby and Katie in the office would be a big seller.

This would be my ideal outcome, as well.

A Concerned Citizen
  • ToochTooch Registered User new member
    Idea's on finale:

~They pitch their ideas to everyone else who got eliminated from the house and they all vote for the winner

~They pitch their ideas to us and WE all vote for the winner

~Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in the gun

DexOZ
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    I don't know who to cheer for, I loves em all

Tooch wrote: »
    Idea's on finale:
    ~They pitch their ideas to us and WE all vote for the winner

I like that idea Tooch

• FnordalFnordal Registered User regular
    Now: everything they showed about Maki's new comic is great. I think they purposefully didn't show much from the others because they are going to rock our socks off even more.

I'll get all three of them in my rss feed, that's a given. But who I'd prefer to win? I don't care, they are all great in different ways.

• RansonRanson Registered User new member
    Oh yeah, I forgot...I get to meet Abby at Heroes Convention later today. Woo!

BuchoKazitronSpman2099LampseegruzerzhulRyadicStarmie
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    It's hard to imagine a better way of ending this competition. I loved the varying reactions of all three. Maki's typical stoicism, Abby's typical complaining (haha), and Katie's rare jubilation. It was illuminating to hear Katie explain how going to elimination twice so early on affected her deeply on the show; now that it's the end she has opened up a lot more.

I agree with spman2009. I had Maki out for the count, but given 2 months his weak area is completely removed. His fret board looked outstanding.

Seeing how excited Katie was, I can't wait to see what she produced. She looked ready to burst if she couldn't spit that comic out fast enough.

I really want Abby to do well because I think she is that rare type of person who has a natural gift for making other people laugh. No matter what happens, I just want Abby to keep tweeting while watching Dinosaur movies!

Spman2099Meester Scyllz
  • A Concerned CitizenA Concerned Citizen Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I didn't know who I was rooting for but based on the concepts showed I am pulling for Maki. I really liked the style he used from what they showed. Abby's and Katie's look awesome as well I just wish it had shown a little more of their finished product. I hope that Fnordal is wrong as to their reason for showing more of his work.

Edit: So giddy for the next episodes and to see what the final challenge full entails.

A Concerned Citizen on
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    Yes, I'm posting again, because it just occurred to me: the finale is a two-parter. Well they already created their comics, even though they are 6 strips each, is that 2 episodes worth of material just to review their work?

Or... after reviewing their work, will they then return to the traditional elimination style, draw random subjects, and then have to draw those subjects using their new characters? That could be intense.

I just can't see this amazingly exciting series ending with two episodes of people sitting around talking about existing comics, no matter how amazing they are. There has to be action!

A Concerned CitizenLavidius
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    No new episode next Tues?

Looks like I'm taking that day off TO WATCH THE ENTIRE SERIES ALL OVER AGAIN MARATHON-STYLE!!!

endikuSpman2099zerzhulGamercowUNHchaboMeester Scyllz
  • DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    Twist ending. They also told all other strippers to come up with the same junk in 2 months. If all 3 of the comics fail to titillate the judges they reject all 3, then move down to the last 3 to get eliminated so on and so forth.

Alex wins.

Dark Raven XFrodoLivesShpydarzerzhulUNHchaboKylieZDMMeester Scyllz
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    endiku wrote: »
    Yes, I'm posting again, because it just occurred to me: the finale is a two-parter. Well they already created their comics, even though they are 6 strips each, is that 2 episodes worth of material just to review their work?

Or... after reviewing their work, will they then return to the traditional elimination style, draw random subjects, and then have to draw those subjects using their new characters? That could be intense.

I just can't see this amazingly exciting series ending with two episodes of people sitting around talking about existing comics, no matter how amazing they are. There has to be action!

Ooh, this is good. I really can't see TWO whole episodes containing nothing but criticism and discussion of their comic pitches. Besides, wouldn't that be sort of anti-climactic? The two-part finale is nothing but talking?

I predict an episode of crits and the elimination of one of the artists, and then a final episode where the artists have to produce an original comic strip for their series on the spot. Perhaps based on some randomly chosen topic or theme so they have to come up with a new joke.

Lamp on
    Dark Raven X
  • DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    It is a finale episode, they could fill time catching up with all the other contestants.

• HipsterSlenderHipsterSlender ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    "What?! What?! I have to wait a week for new episodes?" - literally what came out of my mouth at the end. Excited to see what they each did but sad that the show is almost over. I have to admit, while I've been a Katie fan for the run of the show, I think all 3 of them deserve to win.

"Order! Order! Do you kids wanna be like the real U.N., or do you just wanna squabble and waste time?"
    Spman2099
    edited June 2013
    Also, it's funny that even though Lexxy got eliminated, she missed virtually nothing and PRACTICALLY participated in this final challenge anyway! Took her a bit longer to get started but she's producing 7 pages of her new comic plus merch. In the end she will basically be in the same spot as the two losing artists (but with a mountain of cash to boot!)

Also I guess I can shut up and stop criticizing the Final Three for not taking advantage of their internet fame and launching a Kickstarter... now I can see that would have been kind of difficult :rotate:

(But seriously guys win or lose launch a KS so I can give you my money)

Lamp on
    Spman2099Namebreaker54Meester Scyllz
  • fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    Bucho wrote: »
    No new episode next Tues?

Looks like I'm taking that day off TO WATCH THE ENTIRE SERIES ALL OVER AGAIN MARATHON-STYLE!!!
    I was flailing a bit at the idea of having to wait a full week for a new episode, but this idea has bandaged my calm.

I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
  • YazilliclickYazilliclick Registered User new member
    A whole week until a new episode!?! :( This is gonna be one very very long week. Least they could have done is hand me a longer episode so it could take up more time re-watchin git a few dozen times.

Maki's designs looked pretty nice though. Wonder how Abby will hold up in this competition with traditional methods, especially with product design, where she's not competing against digital artists that are rushed for time with 90 minute limit.

• QuantumFelineQuantumFeline NYCRegistered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    The timescale and level of challenge is just right to push them to do something beyond their current oeuvre. But that doesn't just apply to them, it can apply to me, or any of the other people who have been playing along at home.

So, do we do this? Do we go for it? Do we meet up back here on August 7 and show the internets what we could do? The question is open, the challenge is there if we want it - but are any of us willing to step up to the challenge? I feel like this could be a cross-roads. A challenge this big could be a kick in the pants for anyone, and if any of the artists here, or even any of the eliminated artists go for it, this could be the start of something fantastic.

I don't have any ideas, and I wasn't prepared for this but... I'm game if you are.

I'm doing it. I've had an idea bouncing around in my head for the past few months that I've been wanting to turn into a webcomic. Like the show title, this is the kick in the pants I needed to put a firm deadline in place. August 7th, I will have a new webcomic online with 6 pages of content.

UNHchabo
    I wasn't sure who I wanted to win out of the final three, but it's kind of hard to root against Katie after seeing her squee like a maniac while walking up the stairs to pack her stuff. So adorable and I really feel her passion and excitement.

Spman2099AdamRWHipsterSlender
  • ShpydarShpydar Brampton, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    endiku wrote: »

My guess is the first part will be the three revealing their comics, the creators debating ... Annnnnnd cliff hanger just before they reveal who they choose.

Then second episode is the reveal, maybe bring all the artists back to congratulate the winner (nice and emotional with a slight side of bitter) and we see the winner fitting in and settling into the PA offices.

Anana11dewordePuddingpie
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Didn't Graham say "the next challenge" starts now? So the winner of the next challenge is what they got together in January to determine. The winner of that probably isn't yet the winner of the show, which would jive with what we know about there not being a winner yet and with the 18th being a "live screening". I figure the next episode will eliminate someone and perhaps introduce whatever challenge the final two have been working on the last five months... And the next will determine the winner of Strip Search.

Anana11
  • BluntlyBluntly Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I suspect all the other contestants will be involved. The person who has the best strip sits out, while the other two do the final elimination, then every other contestant decide who the best is.

Bluntly on
    Puddingpie
  • PharylonPharylon Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Twist ending. They also told all other strippers to come up with the same junk in 2 months. If all 3 of the comics fail to titillate the judges they reject all 3, then move down to the last 3 to get eliminated so on and so forth.

Alex wins.

You know, I've been reading Alex's comic since this show began, and it's probably the most consistently funny.

And something is definitely up. Several of the artists have mentioned they're in the process of relocating, even Alex.

Pharylon on
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wonder if the winner of this challenge has to decide who the "loser" is...

Lamp
  • khronostkhronost Registered User new member
    edited June 2013
    If this episode was filmed in February or March, perhaps they've used the time between then and now to design websites for these comics along with preparing shirts and things. Maybe the traffic volume, merchandise sales, and a viewer poll between next Friday's introduction of the comics and Tuesday's judging will be factors in the final winner decision.

khronost on
    edited June 2013
    OK
    parmeisan wrote: »
    Didn't Graham say "the next challenge" starts now? So the winner of the next challenge is what they got together in January to determine. The winner of that probably isn't yet the winner of the show, which would jive with what we know about there not being a winner yet and with the 18th being a "live screening". I figure the next episode will eliminate someone and perhaps introduce whatever challenge the final two have been working on the last five months... And the next will determine the winner of Strip Search.

Wait, no. Strip Search was filmed in January, no? Then the Final Three got two months to work on their comic pitch, as stated in the show. That would have put them sometime into mid- to late-march for this round of judging. So they may have sent the other artists home to work some more, but not for five months. More like another two. I doubt it though. My guess is that they pick a winner here, somehow.

Anyone know when it was that Mike sent out that original tweet that said there was no winner yet? I know it was around the start of the show, which first aired March 1 -- so the timing lines up that, at that time, he would have been anticipating this final round to pick a winner.

Also, on the topic of the other artists returning: I won't say it's impossible but I would be a bit surprised if they flew all the other artists in, from all around the country, just for a cameo judging appearance. Also, here's another line of evidence that suggests they do not return: Lexxy seemed shocked as hell on Twitter this morning regarding the latest episode, tweeting "WOW WOW WOW #stripsearch" and "Even more inspired to work on TCF after today's #StripSearch episode. I didn't know that was possible." Sure seems like she didn't know.

Not that big a surprise considering what an ordeal it would be to ask all these other artists to take ANOTHER trip to Seattle for no real reason.

Lamp on
    GamercownavinieaPuddingpie
  • yohanleafheartyohanleafheart Registered User regular
    I loved all of that. The 3 strips look great, but Maki's looks fantastic. Specially the t-shirt design. My only thing is, if the winner was really chosen in February, there has possible been an unintentional spoiler of him\her in the twitterverse.
    Abby moved this week to Seatle. So either she won already, and it is starting now on PA, therefore the move. Or she decided that the Seatle hub is the Meca of comic strips

• Modred189Modred189 Registered User regular
    WAT!? You're making me wait THAT long?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

schuss
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    ...my god

I loved all of that. The 3 strips look great, but Maki's looks fantastic. Specially the t-shirt design. My only thing is, if the winner was really chosen in February, there has possible been an unintentional spoiler of him\her in the twitterverse.
    Abby moved this week to Seatle. So either she won already, and it is starting now on PA, therefore the move. Or she decided that the Seatle hub is the Meca of comic strips

First of all, people need to stop pretending that moves mean ANYTHING. Amy, Monica and Alex all moved to Seattle recently.

Also, Abby is at Heroes Con in Charlotte this week and I have not heard anything about her moving anywhere, and I follow all her tweets, comic and blog. Even if she was it would mean jack. No spoilers here, folks.

• SirTwitchSirTwitch Registered User regular
    This is the most amazing challenge ever! Everyone wins! Please, PLEASE tell me we get to see their comics and designs before the finale airs???? Maybe even vote??? This is the icing on the cake to an AMAZING reality web show.

• RogjahRogjah Registered User regular
    Kick in the pants indeed. It's hard to believe it's almost over. I'm going to miss this show. I loved seeing how excited Katie got about the challenge. I kind of wonder what Lexxy's reaction would have been. From her elimination episode it made it seem like it may have been a struggle to get it done. I'm sure she would have found the time somehow, but it could have been rough. It seems like Maki's is the only one we got to see any of the finished product for. I think it looks great.

parmeisan
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    I just keep falling deeper and deeper in love with this show...AND IT'S ENDING SOON! I can only hope they do another season of this in a years time.

nerfherderhan
  • BaconGreaseBaconGrease Registered User regular
    Great episode, excited for all three contestants looks like a positive ending for all!
    Love the Team Maki shirt at the end.