As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Scrolls] Decay is out!

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I don't want to be all "lel l2p n00b" but Thunder Surge is significantly less powerful than it initially appears to be. I used to have a ton of trouble with it until I began playing around it. Like Wrath of God it is a staple that almost every deck that can play will play. When an Energy deck hits 5 Energy spread your guys out unless you are willing to risk losing them in return for the result of this turn. That 5 Energy can turn into 6 and a Thunder.

I agree that adding the option to mulligan will help the game and reduce the element of chance, but due to being guaranteed both a card and a resource every turn and being able to sift through 3 cards a turn once you hit 5/6 not playing creatures early on is much less of a big deal than in Magic.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Mojang games aren't available on steam, right?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Yup.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • RaernRaern Registered User regular
    So I was getting bored with the obvious growth or energy or order approach to deck building, and decided to do all three with the full 18 Memorials to get the resources going.

It's crazy (and probably suicidal) but when it works it's crazy fun. I finished a game in Quick Match with over 40 resources to spend each turn. One of my first tests against medium AI I reached 66 resources before I managed to win...

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I don't want to be all "lel l2p n00b" but Thunder Surge is significantly less powerful than it initially appears to be. I used to have a ton of trouble with it until I began playing around it. Like Wrath of God it is a staple that almost every deck that can play will play. When an Energy deck hits 5 Energy spread your guys out unless you are willing to risk losing them in return for the result of this turn. That 5 Energy can turn into 6 and a Thunder.

I agree that adding the option to mulligan will help the game and reduce the element of chance, but due to being guaranteed both a card and a resource every turn and being able to sift through 3 cards a turn once you hit 5/6 not playing creatures early on is much less of a big deal than in Magic.

'Spread your guys out' and 'play around it' aren't exactly simple matters when you're trying to attack & retain tempo, which aggro needs in order to win. Oh hey, I spread my guys out; now I can't get into position to attack any of your pieces. How wonderful!

WoG is an apt comparison in that 'playing around it' by, say, not casting creatures is a sure way to defeat if playing aggro against white control. In M:tG, you fought back against sweepers with things like redundant recursion, cards that replaced themselves upon dying and/or card draw. In Scrolls, right now, you have to either answer with your own sweeper or just scoop. I hope that changes in the future.

With Love and Courage
  • ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    wish there was a card list i could view at work. I want to make some kind of growth/energy fast aggro deck.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Is there a way to make it so the AI plays their turns a little slower? I was watching an LP and they basically do all their moves instantaneously and I couldn't even see what they do on their turn.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Is there a way to make it so the AI plays their turns a little slower? I was watching an LP and they basically do all their moves instantaneously and I couldn't even see what they do on their turn.
    Don't think so, though you can see when movement happens and can check what cards were played at the top of the screen.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Okay, I'm probably going to pick this up tonight.

I hate you all. <3

So why did I have to read this thread... Got Magic 2014 DOTP out June 26 and and then Hex Alpha in a couple months. My kids are at grandpa's for the week so I'm free to play the MA titles that have been languishing in my backlog and instead I want to spend $20 and play Scrolls instead. Must stay strong.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Huh. Just browsing through my Order cards, and, uh... New Orders seems really good, doesn't it? Moving all of your guys 2 squares instead of one square for 1 resource?

Am I missing something?

I've never seen it played, by either players or the AI.

With Love and Courage
  • kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    I have had it played against me a couple times. Both times I had a mini-rage at the ridiculousness of the card. But I guess it is one of those things that if you're up a bit, it can help you get way up, but if you're down it's not going to help you. Hence, not many people run it?

• ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    Im looking to beef up my wolf growth deck. If anyone has a few extra cards that would work well for that deck let me know! I dont have much but i think i have a few things worth trading. I wont be online for a few more hours.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There'll be a patch "this weekend". It'll allow importing decks from here apparently.

edited June 2013
    @Echo: That'll be sweet. Any word o if the new patch will include new cards?

rambo-final.png

This is my final E/G aggro list. Quake could replace Iron Whip and you'd have a much more solid package, but fuck it; what's the point of splashing E if you're not using any slots for it?

I'd rate it a C-, I think. It's fun and does it's job, but you'll find dead Iron Whips & the occasional Memorial with derpy grins on their card faces.

go-rambo-final.png

This deck is hilarious. it's not quite as consistent as I'd like, but a half decent hand feels so powerful.

EDIT: Also, I've heard a few users claim in trade chat that any cards we buy now are going to be wiped from our collections when the game goes out of Beta?

Anyone know if that's true or not? It only took a few days to get basically all of the cards I want, even when wasting maybe 1k or so on random crap, but still, that would kinda suck. :/

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    The latest in passive-aggressive wankery seems to be to just quit the game instead of surrendering, meaning it'll take two turn timeouts before you auto-concede.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    The latest in passive-aggressive wankery seems to be to just quit the game instead of surrendering, meaning it'll take two turn timeouts before you auto-concede.

This has been super common in online CCG's for me.

Another "competitive" strategy is to play to the best of your ability, but only ever take your turn at the very, very last second possible. This way, you become such a frustrating opponent to play against that people will forfeit to you more than you win by skill!

I loved getting those guys in tournaments. This is what happens when the "overall timer" is too generous compared to the by turn timer.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    The Ender wrote: »
    Huh. Just browsing through my Order cards, and, uh... New Orders seems really good, doesn't it? Moving all of your guys 2 squares instead of one square for 1 resource?

Am I missing something?

"All your guys" includes your structures.

• kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    I hope people don't think I am that sort of person. Just because I take a long time to think things through. Every turn.

Also there was a thread on reddit with a suggestion to have your next card draw happen at the end of your turn, which I think is a good idea. Aside from future cards manipulating your opponent's hand (which is almost inevitable) it would give me a clear picture of what I'm dealing with on the next turn, and should speed the game up.

Fighting a guy that has all kinds of memorials in his deck just as 1-health roadblocks. Surprisingly effective since he had lucky draws.

Whew. Managed to kill him in the end.

He had lots of really lucky early draws and had a Ducal Skirmisher that he buffed up to 7/4 that just wrecked any defenses I could put up in a single turn, until I got lucky and pulled a Pushback to get his buffs out of my hair. Then I could finally build defenses that lasted for more than a turn and slowly chip him down.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Fighting a guy that has all kinds of memorials in his deck just as 1-health roadblocks. Surprisingly effective since he had lucky draws.

I played against someone with a deck like this recently. All memorials (every single type, I believe; they ended up with like 22/15/20 resources or something), removal, and a couple of Decimations and creatures (Sisters of the Fox and Kinsman Veterans only, I think). It was not a good deck. Frustrating as hell to play against, but the person never came even remotely close to winning. After a point, the only sensible strategy for me was to stop doing anything. Just sacrifice and end turn until I could cast a Great Wolf/Jarl, Rally, and a couple of buffs in a single turn to kill the last idol.

It was not a fun 40-some-odd rounds.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Yeah, if this guy didn't pull that Skirmisher and buff him up I'd have wrecked him a lot sooner.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    You know what might be interesting? If lowering an enemy unit's countdown to zero forced them to attack during your turn. It just stuck out to me that there's functionally no difference between one and zero for an enemy unit's countdown.

Also I like cards that can be cast on your units or enemy units depending on the situation, and this would create more opportunities for that.

"All your guys" includes your structures.

Holy fucking shit this card. I love this card.

Mojang, never change this card. <3<3<3

I didn't realize for a while that surrendering gave your opponent dick all for gold. -.- Honestly, I think it's kind of bullshit that you can't tap-out from a clearly lost game without being a dick to the guy/girl that beat you.

With Love and Courage
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, these days if I reach a point where I have clearly lost a semi-close game that has dragged on for a while, I just skip my turns and let the other person finish me off rather than surrender to give them the gold. Although I'll still surrender sometimes if it's early in the game and I was just utterly shut down. Or if the other person is clearly dragging out the game on purpose to farm extra idols. I heard rumors that they're going to make it so the winner always gets at least 60 idol gold even after a surrender in the next patch, though.

A trickier problem: the reward system currently in place favors early surrenders too highly, I think. The difference between winning and losing a full game is the difference between 300 gold and like 40-50. So if you have a terrible first five minutes, it's probably optimal to just surrender immediately rather than try to turn it around if your top concern is maximizing gold efficiency.

Wyvern on
    A trickier problem: the reward system currently in place favors early surrenders too highly, I think. The difference between winning and losing a full game is the difference between 300 gold and like 40-50. So if you have a terrible first five minutes, it's probably optimal to just surrender immediately rather than try to turn it around if your top concern is maximizing gold efficiency.

Well, in fairness: gold farming is best done with AI games rather than PvP games right now anyway, so I'd kind of hope that anyone wanting absolute max gold efficiency would be busy killing bots.

With Love and Courage
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Man the random single card buy is the way to go. Just got a God Hand and a Kinfolk Brave out of 5 draws. And a Wildling and a Plating.

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    So here's my wishlist...

2x Rallying
    3x Brother of the Wolf
    2x Fertile Soil
    2x Druid Burial Ground
    2x Quake
    3x Great Wolf
    3x Kinfolk Brave
    2x Kinfolk Jarl
    3x Mangy Wolf
    3x Ragged Wolf
    3x Unleash Inner Power
    3x Vitality Well
    3x Ancestral Totem
    3x Kinfolk Veteran
    2x Rumble
    3x Eye of Eagle
    3x Frostbeard
    3x Nutrition
    2x God Hand

Total scrolls: 50

I just need to get 1 more godhand... and rumble, don't have any rumble.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    I have two Rumbles in one of my decks. So awesome to mess with Energy players.

• RichardRichard Registered User regular
    This game definitely scratches an itch I didn't knew I had but I am not 100% sold on the game. How does this game compare to other card games?

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    So @Echo I saw you had created the Duel of Champions thread as well as this one... Would you recommend Scrolls over Duel of Champions?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    edited June 2013
    Scrolls is one initial purchase, then you can quickly get new cards.

DoC is F2P, and grindy as fuck unless you want to pay for cards.

edit: that said, I feel DoC is a bit better at the whole "balanced game" thing than Scrolls.

Echo on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm turning to those with more experience. I have a Energy-Splashed-With-1-Cost-Growth deck that I'm enjoying. It does well against pure Energy decks and has good, close games with Order. Pure Growth, though? I can do nothing 75% of the time.

Now, outside "Have better luck on Drawing Scrolls" which is the counter to everything, is there an accepted Energy counter to, specifically, Great Wolves and their Wolf-Tide decks? They have too much health to direct damage down, they can easily eat an entire row of defenses in 1-2 turns and short of Iron Ogres (which I don't run, because the 7 cost ends up being too restraining in my deck) nothing I have can stand toe-to-toe without a Potion or Plating.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Three new scrolls: https://scrolls.com/2013/06/scrolls-changelog-0-94-3#more-2382
    Noaidi (Growth). Creature, 3/2/2, cost 3. When Noaidi comes into play, for each resource type your opponent has, increase that resource by 1.

Efficiency (Order). Spell, cost 1. Target unit gains +1 Attack until end of turn. If that unit kills another unit this turn, increase Energy by 1.

Dust Runner (Energy). Creature, 1/2/2, cost 1. Ranged. When Dust Runner deals damage to a creature with 3 or less Health, that creature is destroyed.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Dust Runner sounds really nasty against Growth, if you can throw some buffs at it.

edited June 2013
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Okay, I'm turning to those with more experience. I have a Energy-Splashed-With-1-Cost-Growth deck that I'm enjoying. It does well against pure Energy decks and has good, close games with Order. Pure Growth, though? I can do nothing 75% of the time.

Now, outside "Have better luck on Drawing Scrolls" which is the counter to everything, is there an accepted Energy counter to, specifically, Great Wolves and their Wolf-Tide decks? They have too much health to direct damage down, they can easily eat an entire row of defenses in 1-2 turns and short of Iron Ogres (which I don't run, because the 7 cost ends up being too restraining in my deck) nothing I have can stand toe-to-toe without a Potion or Plating.

The two cards I fear the most playing against Energy are Potion of Resistance and Thunder Surge. It's hard to maintain any kind of decent offensive or defensive positioning with Thunder Surge to contend with, and if one wipes out your whole army it's extremely hard to recover. You also want Violent Dispersal if you don't have them already (they're expensive, though). You should have at least some form of cooldown reduction if you don't want to fall behind in aggression.

I don't know what your deck looks like, but I would recommend against relying too much on structures. I don't think I've ever not recovered from a Destroyer contain eventually. I find that I have the hardest time dealing with Gravelock decks due to Growth's inability to selectively snipe Elders, but a good Barrage/Concentrated Fire ranged can potentially work (its lynchpins are much more easily blitzed by Veterans and the like, though, so good defenses like potions or Hellspitter Mortars are twice as important).

Wyvern on
    Divine Mark + Fertile Soil. Why did I not think of this before

edited June 2013
    Enig wrote: »
    Three new scrolls: https://scrolls.com/2013/06/scrolls-changelog-0-94-3#more-2382
    Noaidi (Growth). Creature, 3/2/2, cost 3. When Noaidi comes into play, for each resource type your opponent has, increase that resource by 1.

Efficiency (Order). Spell, cost 1. Target unit gains +1 Attack until end of turn. If that unit kills another unit this turn, increase Energy by 1.

Dust Runner (Energy). Creature, 1/2/2, cost 1. Ranged. When Dust Runner deals damage to a creature with 3 or less Health, that creature is destroyed.

I'm a bit concerned about the balance implications of Noaidi. In mono Growth versus mono Growth you're dead in the water if you don't have it, but in mono Growth versus anything else it sucks. Growth is in dire need of a halfway decent 3 and I like seeing dual decks encouraged, but this could be messy. It might also make splashing Growth into something else undesirable, because a Growth-heavy opponent can so easily capitalize on it.

Not sold on Efficiency. It's usually a bad sign when playing a card is barely better than sacrificing it. Even if I had an O/E deck I don't think I would use it.

Dust Runner is cool, and a nice counter to Waking Stones and Potion of Resistance that fits in multiple decks.

Wyvern on
    Dust Runner one-shots Waking Stones, right? Since it says "destroys".

edited June 2013
    Oh, looks like mod support soon.

Here's a mod repo.

Echo on