As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror's Edge 2 | Gamespot CE Comes With a Free Copy of Not the Game

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDX_LiJT7E

ibt8hhZ0ABSXxh.png
Official Site | twitter | Facebook | YouTube

ibmN0U33yK6eV2.jpg
ibfMKNqQlTELNF.jpg
i2WAjhvaGeCAe.jpg
ieuMrdnDqre7T.jpg
i8oj0UvCPLh46.jpg
iXCZIlUqdowZA.jpg
ibp7qIWa304WUe.jpg
ibsCQ4qpkjbswy.jpg
ihHtRX4sgKw1x.jpg
izFv5vwTp4iC8.jpg
iZEUXeyNn0lx6.jpg
iX1TAnQlhvmfR.jpg
i5nAQmP0GmrcJ.jpg
iAohlZMCtVGhI.jpg
ibz52jOhnSNmsp.jpg
igkj95WdiSOwA.jpg
ibnKMZzweEQaCr.jpg

Mirror's Edge is a game about parkour and, inexplicably, shooting people in the face and taking guns from people and beating the shit out of them. Mirror's Edge 2: 2 Faith 2 Furious looks to be following in the original's footsteps. It will feature the freerunning and, unfortunately, the inexplicably psychopathy.

iPqHX8kFpY8oE.jpg

You play as Faith, a "runner" in a dystopian city of the future where everything is monitored by the government so the only safe way to deliver sensitive information is physically. Wait, everything monitored by the government? Maybe this is just modern day America.

ibcsnQGU7axNEi.jpg

The difference between the Mirror's Edge city and modern day America, actually, is that Mirror's Edge is fucking pretty.

iA0X3Erl0yM3x.jpg

Mirror's Edge 2 is technically a reboot of the franchise, whatever the shit that means. Potentially it's going to be a prequel or something. Maybe they are just going to disregard the worthless uninteresting story from the first game. That would be nice.

iFZyvp0apkGzG.jpg

All of the pictures in this post are from the original Mirror's Edge, in case you're curious, except of course the logo at the top, which is the official logo of the new game with the official title officially decided on by EA and officially announced.

iJmupeU4k8pH0.jpg

So in any case Mirror's Edge is basically a fun racing game with dumb guns and combat that blow the flow right out the window into the street where it dies and has to restart at a checkpoint. Also it has tremendous music by Solar Fields and a great main theme by Lisa Misovsky, titled "The Song at the End of Portal."

iGTe19oogqEAV.jpg

I'm pumped for Mirror's Edge 2! Join me in being pumped. It's great to see EA give another chance to a game with color instead of today's "let's put filters on everything so it's blue" mentality. More gorgeous games please.

icFAVp8uCDw0Z.jpg

iqmvNOX6MvzGd.jpg

iC9OeOP36KKvf.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Guess I should get around to playing the first one now.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    PLEASE GIVE THIS RIFT SUPPORT

I WILL RUN FOREVER

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    It's not 2. It's a reboot. Somehow, they're rebooting something with only one entry.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Kroenen wrote: »
    It's not 2. It's a reboot. Somehow, they're rebooting something with only one entry.
    ahem it is our solemn duty as people with brains in our head to call this Mirror's Edge 2 no matter what EA wants us to do. We're not drones that just follow the dictates of marketing. We can think for ourselves. This is obviously Mirror's Edge 2, and my slogan ("2 FAITH 2 FURIOUS") is clearly amazing.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll put in a "No guns" option for a difficulty setting. Instead of grabbing the guns, Faith just tosses them away or breaks them instead. I'll play that way anyway, it just sounds like an option that would be good.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    This is a reboot? What the wha?
    Usually when you reboot, you at least redesign things. Same style work, Faith looks pretty similar, same tattoos, etc. That doesn't seem rebooty to me.

• Options
    Since it looks like this is a prequel (the trailer is Faith getting her sick tats) maybe that's why they're calling it a reboot: starting over fresh. Or whatever.

Like I said I'm calling it Mirror's Edge 2 and fuck EA if they want me to say differently.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Yeah, it gave me a prequel vibe for those reasons.
    Regardless, I'm pretty pumped we are getting a new one at all.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Prequel/reboot news deflated my hype a bit. They could do so much more with a new story.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i relished the gun bits in mirror's edge 1, i admit

but mostly because the disarms were sick-nasty and i performed them on the last guy in the level.

SURPRISE.

NOW I HAVE ALL YOUR GUNS.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I thought there might be a "origin story" thing based on the trailer showing Faith receiving her marks. That...actually doesn't bother me at all because it's not like the story of Mirror's Edge was much to shake a stick at. They can show some cool stuff with NOVEMBER when it was an actual group now.

I'm just so gleeful that this game actually exists now, I watched the trailer like 10 times in a row squeeing.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just because the teaser trailer shows Faith getting her ink doesn't necessarily mean the game will be a prequel, any more than some flashback to Sierra-117's military training means that a new Halo will be set pre-Covenant.

Took them long enough. Clearly, DICE and EA were very excited about the prospect of following up the first game, and that enthusiasm will be reflected in what must surely then be an outstanding final product...

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    They said it "reboots the franchise for the next generation with advanced visuals and an all-new origins story for Faith."

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Prequel/reboot news deflated my hype a bit. They could do so much more with a new story.
    Eh? What could they do with a new story that they couldn't do with a prequel? Faith had been a runner for a while in the original game, so there's plenty of story to tell there. It's not like anything fucking happened in the original Mirror's Edge. That story was a mess.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    edit: this post is a reboot of the tychocelchuuu franchise

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    YESSSSSS

God I love this game.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    it's not a reboot, it's a prequel.
    none of the official material says reboot, only that one reporter

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    My pants are now uncomfortably tight. CANNOT WAIT.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I really hope this game is 90% just doing deliveries and exploring where you can go and how you can get to your destination. Like they told us the first game would be...

Unfortunately, it looks like Faith is again being shot at by every cop in sight and taking down guys in full riot gear. Great.

I'll just enjoy as much of it as I can, just like with the original.

They better have another sweet bag as a preorder bonus, though. I still use the original all the time.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    i like the idea of a reboot more than a prequel, because ME had a great vision for a dystopia and then squandered it by not talking about it, having shit non-entity characters, and painted themselves into a corner by destroying the servers that held all the bad stuff at the end. reboot fixes all that.

i really love faith's design and now redesign. she's just the coolest looking person imaginable. i hope she ends up more interesting than she was in the first game!

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    also the combat was terrible and often forced you to fight. i loved the idea of the police foot pursuers but they weren't as frightening as they should have been.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Even though its never going to happen, I'm still hoping that it'll have burnout paradise style racing with multiple races going over different parts of the same area

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ugh Mirror's Edge is so beautiful

Until I get around to decking out the OP in prettiness, let me link you to the three main places I'll likely be drawing from: Dead End Thrills Mirror's Edge screenshots (be sure to check out the ones with developer commentary and PixieGirl4's gallery where some of those come from, inkandpressure's Mirror's Edge gallery, and my gallery which is uploading as we speak.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I really hope this game is 90% just doing deliveries and exploring where you can go and how you can get to your destination. Like they told us the first game would be...

Unfortunately, it looks like Faith is again being shot at by every cop in sight and taking down guys in full riot gear. Great.

I enjoyed the shooty bits in ME1 because I never actually shot back. I treated them as challenge mode versions of GOTTAGOFAST. "How can I get through here while being shot at without actually disarming anyone or shooting back?" I suspect that that's what the devs intended but because mass audiences like guns and doing things with guns they shoehorned the combat in.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    i relished the gun bits in mirror's edge 1, i admit

but mostly because the disarms were sick-nasty and i performed them on the last guy in the level.

SURPRISE.

NOW I HAVE ALL YOUR GUNS.

I disarmed guys and tossed away their guns in front of the others.

Then I beat them senseless.

Pulling the trigger is like ordering takeout. Punching?

This is the thing. This is the pulse, This. Is what I do.

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, i'm all for guns in this game because when I rip them out of your hands, smack you across the face, then toss them aside, only to run up a wall and out of the way it makes me feel so very good.

Edit: not to mention if you actually tried to use a gun as a viable way to get through the original game... YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I am all for being chased and for having some guys in the way that you need to avoid or disarm. I did a full pacifist playthrough (I think so, I don't remember if I shoot someone in the server room, but otherwise..) and it was really fun.

I'm excited for this new game and I hope they come up with an engaging story without too much combat thrown in. This seems like a perfect chance to make an open world game where you can explore the city, make deliveries and do "plot quests" every once in a while.

But this being EA I'm ready for disappointment.

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Zephos wrote: »
    Yeah, i'm all for guns in this game because when I rip them out of your hands, smack you across the face, then toss them aside, only to run up a wall and out of the way it makes me feel so very good.

Edit: not to mention if you actually tried to use a gun as a viable way to get through the original game... YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME.

I spent most of the first game avoiding guns entirely. But at one point, there was an ambush kicking my ass, and I figured, hey. Might as well try it out. Can reload after.

The whole time, I'd kinda been imagining guns as, well GUNS. Like in Dredd. One bullet, and you're on the ground in agony. Quick followup, and you're dead. Riot cops might be a little tougher, but that's why there's other guns, right? Just blam, dead, toss the gun aside.

...they didn't quite work like that.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    I love that, judging from the trailer, there seems to much more view of your own limbs, flailing about and interacting with environment, as you move! I've loved that shit since L4D1, really immersive, at least for me ^^

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Ugh Mirror's Edge is so beautiful

It looks gorgeous and sounds gorgeous. Just today I was scrolling through my phone looking for good ambient music to drown out nearby conversations while reading, and just let the soundtrack by Solar Fields play for a while. It worked absolutely perfectly.

Also, about the "still has guns," I'm glad. When I played ME1 through on Normal, I went for Test of Faith. On Hard? Yeah, to hell with those parkour bad guys. I disarmed nearby blues and put the PKs down. That felt good.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Mirror's Edge: Human Revolution

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Only gripe I had about guns in Mirror's Edge is the couple of spots where you either had to use a gun or had to beat some guys up just the right way so you wouldn't get gunned down. And in either case, the game flow came to a screeching halt, which really sucked in a game all about speed and movement. I certainly don't begrudge letting people use guns, I just hope the second game is better about not forcing the player to stop and do stupid fight sections.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    In fairness, you never had to use guns, although there were points where it was clearly intended.
    There was the achievement for going through without shooting a gun, remember?
    I didn't mind the guys with guns in relatively open areas. You can dodge, try to outrun them, or try to split them up so you take them out one at a time.
    The only parts that felt like I really was being punished for not using guns was one area inside the ship, and the big fight in the server room.

Thing is, guns should be there to make things easier, so long as another option is also there. Especially if you get some kind of reward/recognition for going non-lethal.
    Like, I'd like it if guards in later levels were less aggressive if you hadn't killed anyone (shouting warnings, trying to subdue you with batons/tazers etc), but if they know they're dealing with a cop killer, they don't hesitate to open fire. That would give you enemies who cater to the way you played the game thus far.

But I'm not complaining, because they're actually making a sequel to a game that didn't make a fortune, and I want to encourage that.
    The only problem is I'm not going to be helping those sales figures unless they do a PC release, as I'll be waiting for at least one price cut before getting one of these consoles.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, but just because you didn't have to use guns didn't mean there weren't spots that were clearly intended to really, really, really strongly suggest that using a gun was the best solution. And they were completely superfluous spots to the tone of the game (Stop and fight so you can climb this pipe! Stop and fight because this door opens reeeeeaaaallly sloooowwwwly!).

If using a gun is the best option, then the designers have failed, because I can shoot people in approximately fifteen billion other games. In Mirror's Edge, I want to burn through an entire level via sprinting, jumping, and wall-running without ever touching a gun for longer than it takes to propel it at a face at an unhealthy velocity. And I want to be out the door and sliding down a massive plain of slanted window before that face even hits the floor.

But considering the New EA is mostly the Old EA again, I have small hopes for not having clunky combat/shooting bits forced on the player.

• Options
    I really liked Tom Francis's ideas for Mirror's Edge combat.

The man made Gunpoint. I think we should listen to him.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I think what we all really want is level 1 from the first game, over and over again.
    That's the one level I can get through without coming to a stop once (elevators excluded).

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Guns being back again is just insulting.

EA DICE, Parkour is the art of escape. ESCAPE.

This is what I read when I open the dictionary (or go use the Internet's dictionary, because this is the future):

es . cape
    verb

1. to slip or get away, as from confinement or restraint; gain or regain liberty: to escape from jail.
    Synonyms: flee, abscond, decamp.

2. to slip away from pursuit or peril; avoid capture, punishment, or any threatened evil.

This is apparently what EA read when they opened the dictionary:

es . cape
    verb

1. to grab submachine guns as part of a canned QTE animation sequence: obtain guns, because guns are what you obtain in first person video games

2. to shoot guns at waves of Generic Goons flung out of the eighth plane of Generic Goon Hell to serve as video game obstacles, because those are the only real obstacles in first person video games

The moment that dudebro brought gun concept art into the room for a game fundamentally about Parkour & gymnastics, he should've been asked what the Hell guns had to do with either of those things. Instead, hey, of course we need gun concept art & gun mechanics, because this is a first person action video game.

Oh well. I guess I'll buy it anyway, in the vain hope that EA doesn't choose to take away exactly the wrong lessons about why Mirror's Edge gets bought.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Guns as tools could be pretty cool. Disarm a guy in passing, shoot out a window so it doesn't break your speed as much. Shoot another guy in the leg to use his now crouched form as a platform up.

Guns aren't innately bad for what Mirror's Edge is. The issue was in the last game any combat was completely flow breaking and didn't fit with the rest of the game. I'd like it if for the most part it's baton and pistol cops with the occassional full auto threat WHO YOU CANT FUCK WITH IN ANYWAY EXCEPT RUNNING.

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I still stand by, as a very avid fan of "shooter" games, Mirror's Edge is a game where I do not want to pick up a gun whatsoever. I came into the original thinking i'd shoot my way through it and was sorely mistaken.

Having replayed it very recently I stand by my "I love shooters but guns are icky" in ME.

It makes sense in the context of the game to have weapons held by the corrupt government, and they balance that by allowing the gun wielding NPC's to lay waste to you if you think picking up that M249 Saw is a good idea...

I'm sure there are Youtube videos out there where someone plows through the game with guns, but really if you buy this game expecting to do so you're going to be reloading (save games, not your gun) a lot.

Guns are not the point of this game, and probably a good reason why it took so damn long to bring about a sequel to it.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yes! YES!

So happy, Mirror's Edge is one of my fav new things from this gen, delighted to be going back to that world.

Especially love the little hints of Still Alive in that bangin' track at the end.

Oh brilliant