As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division] Re-industrializing Manhatten one gun at a time. Releasing March 8th 2016.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Spectrum
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    This made me super hyped.

I'm hoping it's mostly vertical/very minimal diagonal leveling in terms of giving more options rather than stronger ones. The combat looks like a really good mix between just lethal enough to sell 'bullets hurt' but just safe enough to allow the RPG mechanics and abilities to not feel tacked on.

Hoping for a PC release on this. Plus I actually kinda hope it's not balls out MMO and more several servers Day-Z style with every play session starting with your team being inserted into New York and a penalty for leaving without proper extraction.

Also, as this is Ubi, who did Ghost Recon online, if I can not suppress entire streets with microwaves I will be so sad.

edited June 2013
    They also made Ghost Recon "mouse and keyboard don't work at launch" Future Soldier.

GRO was Ubi Singapore. Just give them time.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

They also made Ghost Recon "mouse and keyboard don't work at launch" Future Soldier.

GRO was Ubi Singapore.

To be honest while it'd piss me off if this game nails it's concept fairly well I'd probably tolerate using a gamepad for a few patches.

Kojibro in da house! :P

(Stolen from GAF)

1011127_404613086321287_1987404382_n.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Igpx407manwiththemachinegunDragkoniasDusda
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    If I had a tablet, that drone thing seems like it would be a cool way to kill the lunch hour.

(oh who am I kidding if I had a tablet I'd play Hex during my lunch hour, but it's the thought that counts)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Delphinidaes
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sounds interesting.

I've never been a big fan of MMOs but the pop in/pop out style this game and Destiny seems to be going for really sound like they'll suit me.

Inquisitor
    From the interview: "Winter 2014"

Fuckin' killing me over here

@BillGates has a lot to answer to for showing this to me so early

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I love how some people freaked out that those weren't other video game characters and they were real people once it became clear that they were all players.

One question though: Did anyone else find it extremely amusing that they opened up the armory and then just walked out leaving it entirely open? There was a ton of shit still in there, so I am sure the police are entirely happy about leaving all their remaining weapons open for anyone to waltz in and take through the back entrance.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    I can't help but see all the dogs running around and think "man it'd be totally sweet to have a Taming skill and just run around the streets of New York with a huge pack of semi-feral dogs".

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Why can they port this to tablets but not to the computers they're making this video game on.

The tablet isn't playing the full game, they're doing little drone stuff. They showed a picture of what it looks like on the tablet screen, and its nothing like the actual shooty parts you saw in the trailer. Its way scaled down, its like playing a support drone thing.
    If people could stop pointing this out to me that would be great! I know it's not literally going to run the actual game client on a tablet. What I'm saying is that if they're going to go through the trouble of letting someone play this on their roboclipboard you'd think they'd let me and my fancy gaming PC get in on the action. It's like, in the list of "people who buy video games about shooting people," are "tablet owners" really higher than "hardcore PC gamers?"

If they have to focus their resources I'd rather they do console plus cool tablet integration instead of console and PC. I want more tablet integration. I am eating up BF4, Watch Dogs and The Division. Building a tablet app is also likely less expensive than doing a proper PC port.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I love how some people freaked out that those weren't other video game characters and they were real people once it became clear that they were all players.

One question though: Did anyone else find it extremely amusing that they opened up the armory and then just walked out leaving it entirely open? There was a ton of shit still in there, so I am sure the police are entirely happy about leaving all their remaining weapons open for anyone to waltz in and take through the back entrance.

It looked like the guys in the station at the start might have been regular AI, because at the end they specifically mention that they're engaging players before the title cut out.

newSig.jpg
    Yeah, I suspect that is like an instance in an MMO. I was talking about the actual "companions", someone in GT chat was like "THIS IS THE BEST AI I HAVE EVER SEEN" and then whoops, NOT AI. He was also complaining about how boring the voice actors sounded.

• BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Can't contain how hyped i am for this game. Persistent open ended survival. where do i put my money

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I know it was said before but I'm really glad they resisted the urge to put zombies in this.

Mike DangerAlbino BunnyEvigilantBotznoyJoolanderTOGSolid
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    What is the story/background for this?

OP mentions that's its in the GR/SC universe (unless they split that up awhile ago, but the tech/UI is straight from Future Soldier) but what happened?

Edit: If any of you are curious, Ghost Recon 2 (both versions) happens at roughly the same time as events in Chaos Theory. Certain shared events are also referenced/mentioned. Hell, I think even RAINBOW might be crammed in there somewhere as well.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Don't forget HAWX!

It sounds like at some point after all that shit, everyone got bird flu and died. Now it's apocalyptoclock and you shoot people.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Something about poison money.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Nocren wrote: »
    What is the story/background for this?

OP mentions that's its in the GR/SC universe (unless they split that up awhile ago, but the tech/UI is straight from Future Soldier) but what happened?

Edit: If any of you are curious, Ghost Recon 2 (both versions) happens at roughly the same time as events in Chaos Theory. Certain shared events are also referenced/mentioned. Hell, I think even RAINBOW might be crammed in there somewhere as well.

There was a teaser trailer that was basically detailing how fragile society was and how one big illness could topple it but that the government has plans in place for that eventuality

So I suspect the game takes place after that has happened with you playing basically the damage control crews. Which doesn't entirely explain PVP being there.

Also regarding the PC port possiblity the game lists U-play as a platform. Though U-play also technically exists on console it's mostly Ubi's PC thing.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Infecting money is how Frank Herbert kills half the world in The White Plague from 1982.

I read somewhere that the devs motivated "console only" with "yeah, we want players to think about which skills they bring for a mission by limiting them to the buttons on a gamepad."

...that's the shittiest excuse I've ever heard.

Though on Twitter Ubisoft said
    We are optimizing the experience for next gen consoles. However, we are not ruling out any platforms for the future.

General_Armchair
    I... huh...

I genuinely don't have anything to say to that. With any luck though it'll arrive on PC at some point. Surely Ubi must be able to look at the whole DayZ/Warzone hype on the platform (which this game definitely shares some aspects with).

EchoMike Danger
    Coins have a ridiculous amount of bacteria and viruses on them actually, are transmitted between people at an extremely high frequency and are often handled around food.

Echo
    Echo wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the devs motivated "console only" with "yeah, we want players to think about which skills they bring for a mission by limiting them to the buttons on a gamepad."
    That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I know EA gets a lot of shit, but I swear Ubi has screwed me more.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I... huh...

I genuinely don't have anything to say to that. With any luck though it'll arrive on PC at some point. Surely Ubi must be able to look at the whole DayZ/Warzone hype on the platform (which this game definitely shares some aspects with).

I think I made a comment to a friend during the presentation to the effect of "Ubisoft realized no one's made DayZ for consoles yet"

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    Echo wrote: »
    Infecting money is how Frank Herbert kills half the world in The White Plague from 1982.

...that's the shittiest excuse I've ever heard.

Though on Twitter Ubisoft said
    We are optimizing the experience for next gen consoles. However, we are not ruling out any platforms for the future.

Right now I consider the game to be vaporware. I mean, it is basically Future Soldier with Watch_Dogs slick UI systems.

But let's face it, the team is probably making DLC for AssCreed IV or working on 5. Just a joke? :)

Was it playable in the show floor? I'm surprised they didn't have R6: Patriots ready.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    All mah diiiiiicks!

This looks so far up my alley that it's damn near at my front door.

Seriously though, it looks shit hot. It sort of reminds me what DayZ could be like minus zombies and with ludicrous amount of money behind it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Botznoy
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    TB talks a bit about the PC petition for The Division.

I kinda agree - it feels more like a grassroots marketing campaign than Ubisoft actually gauging interest. Ubisoft makes PC games, and there's no compelling reason whatsoever for The Division to not end up on PC too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqUuCXcFr0s

@Echo A Ubi community manager asked players to drop by the forums to ask for a pc version. Here's the thread: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/774796-The-Division-for-PC-Show-Ubisoft-we-care!-(With-poll!)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's such a stupid poll. Who the fuck would vote "no?" Like what possible reason could someone have for not wanting a game to come to a platform?

EchoJusticeforPluto
    That's such a stupid poll. Who the fuck would vote "no?" Like what possible reason could someone have for not wanting a game to come to a platform?

Being an ass.

Coins have a ridiculous amount of bacteria and viruses on them actually, are transmitted between people at an extremely high frequency and are often handled around food.

The opening of the show ReGenesis is exactly that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF-L7TaQR4A

XBL - ArchSilversmith

At least Ubisoft has a decent reputation for porting to absolutely everything under the sun, especially if the PS4 and Xbone are slow sellers at first. I would personally be amazingly surprised if there wasn't a PC version of this game.

Echo
  • YautjaYautja Skopje, MacedoniaRegistered User regular
    At least Ubisoft has a decent reputation for porting to absolutely everything under the sun, especially if the PS4 and Xbone are slow sellers at first. I would personally be amazingly surprised if there wasn't a PC version of this game.

I agree with you 100%, Watch Dogs will have PC release right out of the shell. Then why not The Division... but on the other hand you never know what is on the corporate money driven minds!

cCgNcR6.jpg
    Watch the jungle burning bright!
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Because people love a good old pointless platform war?

Still boggles my mind that Ubisoft does not want PC gamers money, probably because they think they are all pirates. :?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Still boggles my mind that Ubisoft does not want PC gamers money, probably because they think they are all pirates. :?

Don't worry, once you bitch enough they'll cave.

Zxerol wrote: »

Don't worry, once you bitch enough they'll cave.

Sigh...

I'm mostly a console gamer, but it still sucks the way Ubisoft treats their pc fans. I knew people in high school who pirated 360 games, so it's not like piracy is a PC exclusive problem.

Also, is it really that hard to port a title from console to PC? Considering most are made on PCs?

I mean, I may be a console fan boy the lack of support from devs to pc games out their is still sad. :(

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The funny thing is that I Am Alive eventually did get ported over. So that's pure Ubisoft: have utter contempt about your whining PC userbase, implement absurd DRM requirements, talk about how so-and-so game isn't coming to the PC "because we know that 95 per cent of our consumers will pirate the game" (actual fucking quote), and put it out on the platform anyway.

Zxerol wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I Am Alive eventually did get ported over. So that's pure Ubisoft: have utter contempt about your whining PC userbase, implement absurd DRM requirements, talk about how so-and-so game isn't coming to the PC "because we know that 95 per cent of our consumers will pirate the game" (actual fucking quote), and put it out on the platform anyway.

95%?

Wut?

This discussion has been closed.