As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division] Re-industrializing Manhatten one gun at a time. Releasing March 8th 2016.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That's such a stupid poll. Who the fuck would vote "no?" Like what possible reason could someone have for not wanting a game to come to a platform?

Because people love a good old pointless platform war?

Still boggles my mind that Ubisoft does not want PC gamers money, probably because they think they are all pirates. :?

Don't worry, once you bitch enough they'll cave.

God, I am so absolutely glad I didn't buy that game. It wasn't even that good in the first place.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Well damn. I totally missed this game at E3, and I just saw the trailer and holy shit, it looks awesome.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well, when your DRM is so fucking horrid...

newSig.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Fuck yes. Now I don't need to get a PS3 or Xbone.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Well they better keep the player bases seperate or ill likely be skipping this.

616610-1.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    You know they were gonna do it. Ubi just needed some people to finish the 8 versions of Watch Dogs and ACIV to make the port. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F-Xu1S9wv0

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Isn't this a TPS, and not FPS?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Isn't this a TPS, and not FPS?

Fixed.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The correct nomenclature is "kill.switch clone."

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier revamped would be more accurate.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

?

I don't remember much about Kill Switch. That was just a TPS as well, wasn't it? Unless I'm thinking of a different Kill Switch?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Every time I have to explain an obscure gaming joke, John Romero cries a single tear.

When first person shooters first started to take off, nobody knew to call them first person shooters. It was a new genre with no name. The accepted name for quite a long time was "DooM clone" because they were like DooM, so hey, let's call them that. Fast forward to now: people like to joke about game genres and call things an "X clone" where X is the name of a genre-defining game or a really obscure game in the genre or something, for comedic effect. So now you have the first half of the joke.

The second half requires understanding kill.switch's place in gaming history. kill.switch was basically the first cover-based third person shooter. kill.switch did sticky cover the way Gears of War did sticky cover, and when Gears of War blew up, everyone started doing the sticky cover to the point where even fucking Tomb Raider is basically Gears of War when it comes to the shooting. So because The Division is a sticky cover shooter, I joked that it should be called a "kill.switch clone" because kill.switch started the subgenre, more or less.

Oh.

I didn't know that about Kill Switch. Neat.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I'm really not surprised at the PC version announcement.

I am very pleased by it though. If PA crimetimes are any indication then PA bros raiding police stations and shit will be even more comical.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Every time I have to explain an obscure gaming joke, John Romero cries a single tear.

When first person shooters first started to take off, nobody knew to call them first person shooters. It was a new genre with no name. The accepted name for quite a long time was "DooM clone" because they were like DooM, so hey, let's call them that. Fast forward to now: people like to joke about game genres and call things an "X clone" where X is the name of a genre-defining game or a really obscure game in the genre or something, for comedic effect. So now you have the first half of the joke.

The second half requires understanding kill.switch's place in gaming history. kill.switch was basically the first cover-based third person shooter. kill.switch did sticky cover the way Gears of War did sticky cover, and when Gears of War blew up, everyone started doing the sticky cover to the point where even fucking Tomb Raider is basically Gears of War when it comes to the shooting. So because The Division is a sticky cover shooter, I joked that it should be called a "kill.switch clone" because kill.switch started the subgenre, more or less.

I don't get it.

edited August 2013
    EDIT: Forget it.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

Holy shit, I have been trying to remember the name of this game for years. I got a demo for it in OXM and played it to death.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hey guys

Kill.switch was pretty alright

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

What kind of sicko dissects frogs that are still alive?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

What kind of sicko dissects frogs that are still alive?

no one dissects live frogs. if they're still alive its call vivisection.

:P

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Hey guys

Kill.switch was pretty alright

Indeed. Didn't Adam Baldwin do a voice? And wasn't there some dope-ass cinema where shit gets fucked up in slo-mo?

edited August 2013
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

And a blog post on Ubiblog: http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-community-interview-loot-combat/
    Hot on the heels of the big PC announcement and video showcasing the power and potential of the companion gaming app, The Division hosted an exclusive fan Q&A at the booth at Gamescom 2013. The event gave a select group of fans the opportunity to meet the amazing team at Massive Entertainment, see what the developers had in store before anyone else and, as an added VIP bonus, they had the chance to directly ask questions.

For more than an hour the team chatted with lucky group, sharing stories of the whole development process, regaling them with tales of their now famous E3 preparation, their meeting with renowned developer Hideo Kojima, the decision to go PC and, of course, next-gen dogs… Here’s a full transcript of the wide-ranging Q&A with Game Director Ryan Barnard.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Even though I think this tablet stuff still looks mostly like a fad.

That was actually pretty cool.

More importantly: 1:12, that dude totally did a vanguard charge.

Gods help us.

What are the primary challenges faced in developing for next-gen consoles?

For me I would say making sure you set the scope of the game correctly: It has to be big but also possible, and that’s a fine line to walk. Recently we announced the game for PC, so really the way we look at it now is that we have three games. We have an Xbox One, PS4 and PC game, each of which we are developing for. We can’t just port to PC; we are building all of these games simultaneously and it’s a huge undertaking. But having said that, we have a fantastic team at Massive and we’ll be working with some other studios at Ubisoft to get the job done.

RwkJcNR.gif

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Man, out of all the next-gen titles that have been announced I think I might be the most excited for this one.

It seems to have a bit of a DayZ vibe only with, y'know, actual money behind it. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    oh come one that's not even the best Q/A in there! i mean, lets be honest, we were all thinking it,
    Do dogs have any significance in the game?

Well, it’s a next-gen game so obviously it’s got to have dogs! No, dogs won’t have any special significance other than the fact that New York has over 300,000 dogs living in the city, so imagine if they are all let loose at once… You may encounter some particularly nasty ones, but no they don’t play a significant role.

that Q&A session was quite interesting though. they're obviously at a stage in development where they aren't able/willing to reveal very much, but they still give enough information to keeps us interested and wanting more.

I love that next-gen doggies have become a running joke.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    While people enjoy hopping on the dog meme, I do think its pretty interesting that they put that much thought into the game.

I also think that adding animals and other stuff like that goes a long way to making a world feel bigger.

That said most gamers tend to be sociopaths when it comes to living things in games and their first response is always to wonder if you can kill it. So eh.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I love that next-gen doggies have become a running joke.

But what about the fish AI?

edited August 2013
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    oh come one that's not even the best Q/A in there! i mean, lets be honest, we were all thinking it,
    Do dogs have any significance in the game?

Well, it’s a next-gen game so obviously it’s got to have dogs! No, dogs won’t have any special significance other than the fact that New York has over 300,000 dogs living in the city, so imagine if they are all let loose at once… You may encounter some particularly nasty ones, but no they don’t play a significant role.

that Q&A session was quite interesting though. they're obviously at a stage in development where they aren't able/willing to reveal very much, but they still give enough information to keeps us interested and wanting more.

I can't wait to see the fish A.I. they will implement.

EDIT: Damn it Echo. :)

Did you see the Payday 2 achievement?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

Axen wrote: »
    Man, out of all the next-gen titles that have been announced I think I might be the most excited for this one.

It seems to have a bit of a DayZ vibe only with, y'know, actual money behind it. :P

I'm having a real hard time prioritizing where to spend the finite amount of hype my body can encapsulate. Right now I think Dying Light is getting the lion's share, but this and Titanfall are putting up a valiant fight.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I really love the tablet stuff. It just seems perfect for playing during lunch while at work or something to do if I have to go to the relatives for some family gathering stuff. Being able to spend an hour or so providing Drone support for friends just seems brilliant.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Yeah, on the PC just being in the chat room or listening to them while leaving some clues and buffs here and there would be really cool.

"Ammo here."

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I think the tablet stuff looks neat. I just don't really like that there's a bit of the game that's (AFAIK) only playable on something that isn't the primary platforms.

This discussion has been closed.