As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division] Re-industrializing Manhatten one gun at a time. Releasing March 8th 2016.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I think the tablet stuff looks neat. I just don't really like that there's a bit of the game that's (AFAIK) only playable on something that isn't the primary platforms.

I think of it more as an addition that, IMHO, they didn't even need to include to have what looks to be an amazing game.

Like, even if the game had nothing like the Drone stuff in it at all it would still be one of my most anticipated games. The fact that I can control a Drone from my tablet while I am off doing whatever is just icing on a delicious cake. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Edge has an exclusive on The Division in their newest issue. Anyone here pick it up?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/10/games-the-division-qa
    At gamescom, we were thrilled to announce with our partners at Massive Entertainment and Ubisoft that “Tom Clancy’s The Division” will launch with exclusive content on Xbox One. Now, more details are being shared about one of the most hotly anticipated titles of 2014. Be sure to check out the latest issue of Edge magazine for an exclusive cover story about “Tom Clancy’s The Division,” and then read our Xbox Wire interview with Massive Entertainment’s Fredrik Rundqvist, Executive Producer, and Ryan Barnard, Game Director to find out how they’re using the power of Xbox One to create a new generation of gaming.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't think it's fair that Tom Clancy gets to keep all this stuff even though he's dead now. I mean, I'm sure he was happy to have his own The Division, but now that he's gone they should give it to someone else who can get some use from it.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/10/games-the-division-qa
    At gamescom, we were thrilled to announce with our partners at Massive Entertainment and Ubisoft that “Tom Clancy’s The Division” will launch with exclusive content on Xbox One. Now, more details are being shared about one of the most hotly anticipated titles of 2014. Be sure to check out the latest issue of Edge magazine for an exclusive cover story about “Tom Clancy’s The Division,” and then read our Xbox Wire interview with Massive Entertainment’s Fredrik Rundqvist, Executive Producer, and Ryan Barnard, Game Director to find out how they’re using the power of Xbox One to create a new generation of gaming.

Exclusive like Resident Evil 4 on the gamecube?

oHw5R0V.jpg
    I don't think it's fair that Tom Clancy gets to keep all this stuff even though he's dead now. I mean, I'm sure he was happy to have his own The Division, but now that he's gone they should give it to someone else who can get some use from it.

?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited November 2013
    New pic:
    BZ7cG9ACYAAJoQO.jpg:orig
    100,000. Thanks for your support! Here’s an exclusive screenshot to celebrate. With love, from the Dev Team

EDIT: I wonder if this is a teaser of a new trailer.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

That's a hell of a bullshot. Anyways:

?
    The name of the game is "Tom Clancy's The Division," right? It's his The Division.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It's just a brand.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    That's a hell of a bullshot. Anyways:

?
    The name of the game is "Tom Clancy's The Division," right? It's his The Division.

If I'm not wrong he sold the rights of the Tom Clancy games brand to Ubi. They own Red Storm now.

Anyway, his son works for them.

http://twitter.com/ThomClancy

XBL - ArchSilversmith

NOBODY UNDERSTANDS MY JOKES

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    Any word on cross platform multiplayer?

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular

Well, the third person thing was kinda understandable. Everyone knows that Winback was the first third person cover-based shooter. Calling them Kill.switch clones just doesn't make sense!

Is time a gift or punishment?
    MegaMek wrote: »

Well, the third person thing was kinda understandable. Everyone knows that Winback was the first third person cover-based shooter. Calling them Kill.switch clones just doesn't make sense!
    This thread has more failed jokes on my part than a party where I haven't had the right amount of alcohol to drink. It's embarrassing.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    At this point this thread has become sentient and now feeds off of the energy created by your failed jokes and/or said jokes going over other posters heads.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Even though I think this tablet stuff still looks mostly like a fad.

That was actually pretty cool.

At least tablet tech will be compatible with future stuff, unlike basically everything on the Wii where either you have the Wii controls or you never get to play it without it getting a specially-designed port that ditches the Wiimote controls. I mean, I can play freaking Atari games no problem with on whatever, but Wii games? Welp, enjoy keeping that system around for literally forever if the games don't get ported.

I really like the use of the tablet stuff here as well. An additional fun part of the multiplayer experience, but it doesn't seem to be in any way necessary for playing the game.

edited November 2013
    Interview - Mathias Karlson, Lead Game Designer, and Axel Rydby, Design Director from Massive Entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHvwQLRI-Y

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

God I wish my last name's only vowels were Ys. That's badass.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Imagine if his first name had been Axyl. So much radness.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    You mean Yxyl.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    pity Crytec aren't making it or else the game would be called Thy Dyvysyn. :P

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    have you guys every seen this concept art? and tablet gameplay?

image_35018_full.jpg
    image_35017_full.jpg
    image_35016_full.jpg
    image_35011_full.jpg

Fuck me this game is beautiful... something tells me the next time we see it? Nerdgasms everywhere!

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Im 95% sure this game will be the game that convinces me to buy xboxone/ps4. I just don't know which of the two it'll be.

GaryO wrote: »
    Im 95% sure this game will be the game that convinces me to buy xboxone/ps4. I just don't know which of the two it'll be.
    Or a PC!

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Or a PC!

Well there is an idea, that would save me money. Not sure how my pc would handle it though. And this game looks like it'd be more fun for me to play with a controller than keyboard and mouse.

Plug in a 360 controller!

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Look, we all know the PC port will likely have worse textures, worse framerate, and lack controller support.

I mean, it's a Ubisoft joint.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    this game looks great

though i still weep bitterly that massive will probably never make world in conflict 2.

at least the studios being put to good use.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Look, we all know the PC port will likely have worse textures, worse framerate, and lack controller support.

All versions will look worse than the "screenshots."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's a textbook bullshot on that tablet.

Echo wrote: »

Is it, though? I can picture a game looking like that.

It'd run like garbage, but it'd look like that.

steam_sig.png

Well, it's a new joint in Sweden. Of course, the last Ghost Recon game lacking KBM support at launch was sad.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Echo wrote: »

But the cloud magic will make it possible. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular

Well, it's a new joint in Sweden. Of course, the last Ghost Recon game lacking KBM support at launch was sad.

Wait, since when was Massive Entertainment a 'new joint'?

Vic_Hazard wrote: »

Wait, since when was Massive Entertainment a 'new joint'?

My mistake, sorry. It caught me off-guard it didn't have Ubi at the begininng.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So glad to see a post-disaster game resist the urge to add fucking zombies.

That alone is a bloody big draw to this game.

Suriko wrote: »

Isn't this the game where people got sick via disease spread on money?

steam_sig.png

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. But its also a Tom Clancy game.

So it'll probably have less zombies and more terrorist and shadow ops.

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Or a PC!

Well there is an idea, that would save me money. Not sure how my pc would handle it though. And this game looks like it'd be more fun for me to play with a controller than keyboard and mouse.

You're planning on getting a X1 or PS4 at some point right? Get it for this!

Playing on the PC might save you money... until you have to upgrade something! *gasp*

zllehs on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Suriko wrote: »

Isn't this the game where people got sick via disease spread on money?

I am not sure how you then get to "And that made people into zombies" after that, because this is an actual scenario that some researchers have considered and the main barrier is just getting the virus to survive (human mucus actually does a good job of this though):
    Generally speaking, scientists interviewed by SmartMoney estimate the lifetime of a plain flu virus deposited on money at an hour or so. But mix in some human nasal mucus, and the potential for the virus to hang on long enough to find a victim increases, according to one of the few scientific studies done on flu transmission through cash.

In a study conducted at Switzerland’s Central Laboratory of Virology at the University Hospitals of Geneva, researchers tested to see what would happen when flu virus was placed on Swiss franc notes. In some of these tests, researchers placed flu virus mixed in with nasal secretions from children on banknotes —and saw some unexpected results.

When protected by human mucus, the flu cells were much hardier—in some cases, lasting up to 17 days on the franc notes. The virus that persisted for 17 days was a form of influenza A called H3N2. In an e-mail interview, Dr. Yves Thomas said samples of an influenza A strain called H1N1 also endured for quite a bit — in some cases, up to 10 days. That bug was similar but not identical to the virus at the center of the current swine flu outbreak, which is considered a new strain of H1N1.

The original paper is linked in the article as well, so this isn't a "Science fiction" idea and is something some scientists have seriously considered as a possible mode of transmission. A virus that breaks down society and causes major disruptions doesn't have to have anything to do with zombies at all and that's the tact the Division takes.

Edit: It's worth noting we do actually do things now to try to kill bacteria, viruses and fungi on money though. Silver coins for example are very hard for these organisms to survive on and modern notes have fungicidal elements within their ink. Plus some things like ATMs and similar can "scrub" money to keep them free of pathogens.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
This discussion has been closed.