As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division] Re-industrializing Manhatten one gun at a time. Releasing March 8th 2016.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    No, but it has been coming to PC for a while.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for this one, but if it's still buggy and in pre-alpha like that article says, it doesn't bode well for that projected end-of-2015 release date. I do hope that Ubisoft has learned its lesson with AC:Unity in releasing buggy crap, so hopefully this is more than a year out.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    No, but it has been coming to PC for a while.

Yeah... I think it was console exclusive for like a week? :P

I forgot this game was still being made though, lol.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The ability to have a fulfilling experience solo is the make/break for me. As awesome as the PA community is, as the only (primarily) PC gamer in my group, it's either solo or PUGs most of the time, which can leave me up to the capriciousness of fate as to whether I get to play with some cool guys/gals, or have asshats from dawn till dusk.

I'm also not a fan of PVP, though there've been some fun stints in team PVP so I'm not ruling it out entirely.

But knowing I could go kill shit, loot stuff and play through a story/campaign without needing 1-3+ other folks might be enough to get me to buy it. Especially from that trailer, which is among my all time favourite trailers, whether or not I end up playing the game itself.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    New trailer from E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrzb-_VclOg

and apparently an exclusive beta on xbox one in December.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    They showed a new bullshot scripted "gameplay" sequence on the stream, guess it'll be up on the tubes soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRFelFyHCk

new gameplay demo video thingy. Looks like its easy as hell to dick over team-mates and steal their loot. That can be either a good thing or bad thing. Me personally, makes me wary of teaming up with anyone because odds are they'll kill you for your loot.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I feel like this game is taking too long to come out.

I mean, my post apocalyptic scratch will be itched by Fallout, and Ubisoft mentioned micro-transactions for this already in the forms of stuff like backpack space.

This used to be a game I was incredibly excited for... but that was a year+ ago.

Yay, more very scripted gameplay.

OpposingFarce on
  • zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Ok guess I'm only playing this with close friends and clan members...

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    The post apocalyptic betrayal simulator is not something I wanted in a triple-A game.

After seeing that, this game has gone from most anticipated to maybe I'll grab it in a Steam sale. Maybe.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    The post apocalyptic betrayal simulator is not something I wanted in a triple-A game.

After seeing that, this game has gone from most anticipated to maybe I'll grab it in a Steam sale. Maybe.

Yeah, I agree. If the game turns out to be anything like H1Z1, I'm not going to be playing it.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Echo wrote: »
    They showed a new bullshot scripted "gameplay" sequence on the stream, guess it'll be up on the tubes soon.

At this point, Ubisoft as a company is completely divorced from the understanding of what their customers actually want to see in their games. They really just have no fucking clue as to what people are excited to be playing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

At this point, Ubisoft as a company is completely divorced from the understanding of what their customers actually want to see in their games. They really just have no fucking clue as to what people are excited to be playing.

and yet they are the same company that gave us Blood Dragon, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. i'd really hoped that we'd be seeing more stuff like that, but i guess its just not going to happen. :(

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Also every time they show this game it gets more and more shooter-like and less and less RPG-like

So they also announced GR Wildlands. Which is a Co op shooter set against cartels in an open world South America.

It looks like the Division, except slightly less RPG-like and therefore with less meat shieldy enemies. And it looks like it has more varied environments.

The games seem VERY similar. Interesting.

FWIW, I like the look of Wildlands A LOT more.

This game is definitely a sale-get, and that's if I have people to play with.

Working as a team, especially with PA'ers and friends? That holds appeal.

Worrying that every random person that joins a run might turn around and gank people just because they can? No appeal whatsoever.

Unless this thread blows up in appreciation, at this point it'd have to be a steep steam sale and I'd have to be feeling particularly masochistic.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I had mostly forgotten this game was a thing.

Oh shit. The reddit comments made me think.

This will play exactly like GTA online where everyone is just a senseless psychopath.

Or DayZ.

Yeah, WildLands looks better because it seems pure four player co op. Not an mmo-lite.

Oh shit. The reddit comments made me think.

This will play exactly like GTA online where everyone is just a senseless psychopath.

Or DayZ.

Yeah, WildLands looks better because it seems pure four player co op. Not an mmo-lite.

I remember they said that PvP will only be in certain parts of NYC, Darkzones I think they're called.
    Hopefully that will limit the griefing, although i'm sure the game will 'encourage' people to go into them for better rewards. Which will get stolen by other people, as lighting a flare for extraction is a big 'come gank me' sign

They are talking about this on the twitch stream now.

They said that the Dark Zone is where the PVP is and people don't have to participate in it, but it's where are the best stuff is. Once you pick it up, it's contaminated you can't use it yet and you'll drop it when you die.

"Going rogue" marks you for the rest of the zone and puts a bounty on your head.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I'm still cautiously optimistic. I won't necessarily pre-order but I will be eagerly looking at reviews. If I even remember the game by next spring.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    You also respawn(according to GB), and if you want to betray your team you have to leave it first, so they will instantly know whats going on.

steam_sig.png
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I feel like this game can ruin friendships.

edited June 2015
    Yeah, it's one thing to turn on your buddies in GTA, but it's wholly different when end game gear is on the line.

What's worse for me is that it changes the atmosphere of the game. Post-apocalyptic settings live on hope. There's already a heavy focus on killing npc assholes and 'cleaners', and now there's a high probability of co-op breaking down. It's too entirely too grim for a real-world setting. Like someone else already mentioned, everyone is the bad guy, including the player. It just sounds like it's going to devolve into a game for the lowest common denominator.

The only analogues we currently have for this type of gameplay where everyone is a potential target is Day Z and EVE. So maybe it depends on what kind of community tools that are available.

There's got to be more to the pvp than finding the best gear and taking it from other players.

Man of the Waves on
    The thing I found funniest was the attempt at 'real player talk', throwing out 'nah, they're elite, don't pull aggro' and whatnot in the chatter.

Maybe I'm being a dick here but it just felt like they were trying a little too hard to be authentic that they overshot the mark (because of course to be fully authentic the voice chat would need to be mostly racial slurs and guys badly hitting on the woman).

Again, I might just be nitpicking.

No, I got the same sense. They did this in the previous gameplay trailer too, so I'm not at all surprised by it.

Also...it seems like gear in this game is just...weapons? Wouldn't you at some point have good weapons and would no longer need to hunt everyone for their loot?

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I thought I posted this here, but I guess I didn't. That scene rang incredibly true for me, "Let's fight these elites!" "Naw, let's pussy out and then ambush these people who helped us later right before extraction when they won't be able to respawn and fight back!" It was a bold step forward for the ladies tho, Megan was the driving force behind operation weasel peekay there.

The comments on the darkzones I've seen suggested up to 100 players at a time in them. I'm actually looking forward to some Xbox one Pax Arcadia style Division.

Nosf on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's one thing to turn on your buddies in GTA, but it's wholly different when end game gear is on the line.

What's worse for me is that it changes the atmosphere of the game. Post-apocalyptic settings live on hope. There's already a heavy focus on killing npc assholes and 'cleaners', and now there's a high probability of co-op breaking down. It's too entirely too grim for a real-world setting. Like someone else already mentioned, everyone is the bad guy, including the player. It just sounds like it's going to devolve into a game for the lowest common denominator.

The only analogues we currently have for this type of gameplay where everyone is a potential target is Day Z and EVE. So maybe it depends on what kind of community tools that are available.

There's got to be more to the pvp than finding the best gear and taking it from other players.

It seems like the grimness is a realistic tone for this real-world setting. Apparently your character is in the "Division" which was called on to do something "good" but not all those guys are good. I like it.

It is a reach but the darkzone gave me a suggestion of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Also, what more could there be to pvp than taking things from other players?
    minirhyder wrote: »
    No, I got the same sense. They did this in the previous gameplay trailer too, so I'm not at all surprised by it.

Also...it seems like gear in this game is just...weapons? Wouldn't you at some point have good weapons and would no longer need to hunt everyone for their loot?

In the faux-gameplay video, the female says "I got a new mask I want to try out". We don't know what effects the mask has but it suggests gear beyond guns.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'm certain in the past they talked about different pieces of armor and such, and that the game did have RPG elements to it. The people they meet up with have different looks, and some are wearing masks of sorts.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Forar wrote: »
    The thing I found funniest was the attempt at 'real player talk', throwing out 'nah, they're elite, don't pull aggro' and whatnot in the chatter.

Maybe I'm being a dick here but it just felt like they were trying a little too hard to be authentic that they overshot the mark (because of course to be fully authentic the voice chat would need to be mostly racial slurs and guys badly hitting on the woman).

That's the sort of stuff that basically makes it very, very obvious that the Ubisoft people actually in charge of things know jack shit about gamers. The absolute most tacticool chatter I've ever come across is in playing ARMA III with PAers, but even there, the simulation nature of ARMA makes it obvious as to why a lot of that sort of talk is useful; chatter like that is what keeps friendlies from shooting you in the face, or confusing a guy with a rocket launcher with somebody on your side. And it still ends up being pretty casual and people generally just talking as usual up until gunfire breaks out.

But the fact that anybody at a game company thinks the average player talks using all that nonsense? Yeah, they have no clue what's going on. And if they don't even know how gamers talk to one another, they sure as hell aren't going to understand what they want to be playing or doing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I always thought coming across people in GTA was funny. Because there were always two kinds of people.

1) Folks who tried to kill you on sight.

2) Folks who thought you were from Group 1 and as such would try to kill you on sight.

Honestly...that stuff kind of gets tiresome after a while if you're just trying to explore the world and if that's what the Division ends up being I'm not sure how interested I am in it.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The announced Ghost Recon game is interesting but I can't help to think it looks like Farcry.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    The announced Ghost Recon game is interesting but I can't help to think it looks Farcry.

Exactly what I thought at first, too.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly...its funny how quick I've lost interest in a lot of Ubisoft's AAA offerings.

Between Watch Dogs, Farcry 4, and Unity...last year was a bunch of duds from them as far as I'm concerned.

They really need some fresh blood/concepts to get me interested in their stuff again.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I haven't watched all the trailers but I'm surprised there is more gameplay R6 available than the Division.

Guess MS is saving the beta for Gamescom.

But at least parading around in a buggy is interesting. Never played them but reminds of Smuggler's Run games for the PS2.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    I wouldn't really say Far Cry 4 was a dud. I loved the crap out of it. It was a reskinned FC3 the whole way down, though. But I loved that too, so

But yeah, other than this WildLands game none of Ubisofts AAA games have interested me really. I just bought AC Rogue for 15 dollars, and the last AC I got was BF. Skipped Unity. I do really like Rogue, but god damn do those games all play the same. Its a joke like Call of Duty now. I seriously think that series needs a rest.

The original Division trailers and gameplay from over year ago had me really interested, but even then I was cautious. And now microtransactions are afoot. God, Ubisoft is the new EA, and its not like EA has gotten that much better!

I think if Ubisoft would release their games closer to release it would help a lot. Someone mentioned this for, say, Fallout 4 and XCOM 2, both of which were announced within the last 30ish days and will release this winter. Basically, by showing them so late in the development cycle your product is done. You won't show amazing graphics, gameplay, and functionality that eventually gets culled from release. Doing this two year wait Division thing? People already noticed a graphical downgrade (I can see it), and we all know about Watch Dogs.

If WildLands was releasing within the next 5-7 months I'd be excited. But now I'm just like 'that looks neat. Hope they dont fuck it up'. Which is not what you should aim for. The reddit thread had the same consensus. At least when they weren't bitching about Ghost Recon being in the title and the game not being, I don't know, Ghost Recon-y enough. Jesus fucking christ it's just a series title. You'd think Ubisoft killed their dog over daring to call it a Ghost Recon game.

Normally I'd say Division will have great sales. Now? I can't guarantee that.

Forar wrote: »

That's the sort of stuff that basically makes it very, very obvious that the Ubisoft people actually in charge of things know jack shit about gamers. The absolute most tacticool chatter I've ever come across is in playing ARMA III with PAers, but even there, the simulation nature of ARMA makes it obvious as to why a lot of that sort of talk is useful; chatter like that is what keeps friendlies from shooting you in the face, or confusing a guy with a rocket launcher with somebody on your side. And it still ends up being pretty casual and people generally just talking as usual up until gunfire breaks out.

But the fact that anybody at a game company thinks the average player talks using all that nonsense? Yeah, they have no clue what's going on. And if they don't even know how gamers talk to one another, they sure as hell aren't going to understand what they want to be playing or doing.

I feel like they know in-game chatter could never sound like that, I get a feeling it's more that they think gamers want in-game chatter to sound like.
    Which is wrong too, it sounds super boring. They talk about nothing but the game, who wants that in an MMO?

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    For Honor looks rad as fuck. That's the only ubi thing that does though.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I feel like the only person in the world hyped for this game, I think it looks like a lot of fun.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I feel like the only person in the world hyped for this game, I think it looks like a lot of fun.

Nah. This is probably my most anticipated game.

I really like the fact that you can gear to a certain level in a safer zone, then move on to the PvP area when you want to assume more risk and greater rewards.

I liked the DayZ mod, but the survival genre as a whole seems to have left me behind since then. You can't really step into an established H1Z1, RoK or Ark server as a fresh spawn and hope to compete with geared and/or leveled players.

This looks like a more "curated" experience for want of a better word. The devil is in the details of course, with how the instancing and loot mechanics work, and it's probably not for everybody, but I hope it finds a niche.

I even enjoyed the E3 presentation. As Jeff Gerstmann remarked on, it was interesting how they "framed" the betrayals within the scenario.

This discussion has been closed.