As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Legends of the Wulin: Autumn Leaves on Summer's Wind.

destroyah87destroyah87 They/ThemPreferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
Seven Roads, a town of trade and hospitality. Every day, trade caravans stream in and out of the five gates. The late summer sun shines down upon the small city as the wind blows from the northwest, heralding autumn’s chill.

Outside the Walls:

Silver Silk Gu Wen was walking towards the city walls, coming towards the city from the southwest. As he got closer, the road traffic became more and more congested. Soon, as he reached the shadow of the city walls, the press of bodies, livestock, and wagons stopped him from moving forward. A booming voice rang out over the crowd, “Any man that can beat my shining dragon fist may pass. Any who fall to my might … I’m accepting new students, if you can pay. I am Bright Fist and my kung fu is strong! Come and test it!” Bright Fist stood over the Wood Gate, laughing.

Gu Wen heard a man beside him mutter to his companion, “I wish that baboon would move. Three hours he’s stood there.”

“I just wish he’d shut up. Do you think he ever stops talking?”

Bright Fist was looking over the crowd, he spotted Gu Wen and his shining silver-shod staff. The boisterous fighter pointed at Silver Silk, “You! You look strong. Do you think you are stronger than me? Get up here where everyone can see and fight me, if you have the courage.”

A gust of wind tugged at the trees standing to one side of the road, a few leaves were pulled loose and floated with the wind over the city’s walls.

A teahouse on Market Road:

Strong Arm Lau watched from inside a crowded tea house as crowds of people passed by on their daily business. The noise of the busy teahouse around him mingled with the sounds of the rest of the city outside into a buzz of harmonious discord. Some green leaves were blown across the entranceway, A few fluttered inside and the rest were carried on their way again. He turned back to his tea and his thoughts. Some time later, a soft thump indicated he had gained unwanted company, “Would you hear a stranger’s tale of tragedy and woe? And perhaps spare some coin or share a pot of tea with a man down on his luck?” The man sitting across from Lau was dressed all in black and scrawny. Sitting at the table, he looked like nothing more than a beaten dog begging for scraps.

“And who are you?”, Strong Arm said,

“I? I am no one of any importance. Call me Morose Expression, everyone does. That is, when they're being nice. I could tell you all about it if I only had something to wet my dry tongue.”

The Resplendent Phoenix Society compound:

Violet Fox watched as the young woman finished pouring tea into two cups. Her task complete the woman bowed and backed away gracefully. Across the table, White Sparrow picked up one of the two cups, “Thank you for taking tea with me, Daughter.” the wise Resplendent Mother said, “Seeing to society affairs has left me with little time for taking tea with you or other Daughters. I trust all is well? Has Soaring Hawk been behaving himself?”

As Violet Fox started to reply, White Sparrow jerked her head up and looked out at the courtyard. Following the older woman’s gaze, Violet Fox could see a few tree leaves floating to the ground, tossed by the wind in a swirling dance. Instantly her mood grew somber, “It is as I feared. I’d hoped to be wrong. Storm clouds gather at the horizon my child. Storms of such ferocity and power not seen in generations. Be ready.”

Beggar's District (the previous night):

Men and women gathered in a dark alley, a fitting place given their dark intent. One man, the last to arrive, stood taller than all around him. The left side of his face was a hideous mask of ruined flesh, as if it were candle wax left too close to a blazing fire. The left eye burned with an inner light, casting flickering shadows wherever his gaze fell. “This land will be cleansed in fire. Be ready, we shall be the spark of the greatest blaze this city has ever seen. You all know your parts, see to your kindling.” With these words, he faded back into shadow and all scattered to their business. Moments later, only the scent of smoke and ash remained.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Violet Fox took a dainty sip from her cup, mmming in appreciation. "The tea is very good. Jasmine?" She chose her words carefully, maintaining a jovial, pleasant tone, "Soaring Hawk is, as ever, Soaring Hawk."

At White Sparrow's pensive expression and warning, the younger woman followed her gaze and tilted her head. "What troubles you, sifu? Surely there is no one in Seven Roads so foolish as to enter our home uninvited?"

When the branches shook again and more leaves tumbled to the ground, Violet Fox rose from her seat, soundless save for the hush of silk on silk.
    Lake (Awareness): 7d10 39

made a pair of fives there, and I believe Fox has a bonus to Awareness. Don't have access to my sheet unfortunately so if there's a bonus I don't know it off the top of my head. Might be 5 or 10.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Silver Silk cracked a broad smile. He liked being in front of a large crowd.
    He hopped up on top of a nearby wagon and pointed his staff right at Bright Fist.

"How barbaric! This kind of display is so last dynasty.
    Your kung fu mustn't be so great, if you have to advertise like this.
    I don't have time to waste with a buffoon like you.
    Now come down from there before you hurt yourself, oaf."
    Lake(Inspire to Intimidate Bright Fist): 3,7,6,7,2,6,5 = 27
    +10 Inspire skill = 37

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Strong Arm Lau slowly lifted the teacup to his lips, taking a long sip as he observed Morose Expression's morose expression. His left fist clenched slightly before he relaxed, slowly and carefully placing his teacup on the table before him.

"Please. Share my tea and tell me your tale, if you believe it is a worthy one. I am Strong Arm Lau, and it would be my pleasure to hear your grievances."

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    SIlver Silk Gu Wen

Bright Fist stopped, "Down there? If I go down there I am just one of many, lost in the crowd. Up here everyone can see, up here I stand tall."

He sat down on the edge of the gate, "I don't know your name honored fǎshī, but I see your fighting spirit is strong. Won't you please allow me to test myself against it?"

Though he stayed atop the gate, he looked unsure of his choice of perch.
    Lake: Confidence: 7d10 37 Best case that's a 25 with a +10 Confidence for a 35.

I figure that's a trivial/minor chi condition(Cowed).

Strong Arm Lau

"Really, you will? I mean, thank you honorable sir." Morose Expression quickly helped himself, pouring tea from Strong Arm's teapot into his own cup. "My story is awful. " He took a large sip of the tea. "There I was, betrothed to a beautiful girl, travelling to meet my love. When what should happen, but bandits attacked, killed every man travelling with me and left me for dead. My legs were so badly cut, I couldn't walk, had to pull myself to the nearest village. After I'd healed enough to travel, I set out to see my beloved. Only, tragedy of tragedies, she'd thrown herself from the cliffs at news of my apparent death. And as if all that weren’t enough, by the time I was able to come back home, I found my entire family had been killed and my ancestral home burned to the ground."

He drained the last of his cup and immediately poured another, "There you have it. That's why I sit here, depending on kind strangers to avoid starving." As Morose Expression started drinking this second cup, Strong Arm Lau heard a change in the city noise outside. What had been the normal sound of a city, awake and about its business, had become shouts of anger and screams of panic. Other customers were also noticing the commotion. A merchant ran into the teahouse, gibbering in panic. One of the patrons, a large man with a great-hammer on his back, grabbed the merchant and pulled him out of the entryway, “Silence. Compose yourself! What’s going on?”

“B-B-Bandits! They attacked the market, came out of nowhere, killing and burning. We've got to go now, they’re coming this way!” As the merchant finished, the sounds of a fire could be heard over the tumult outside.

Violet Fox

Looking around the courtyard, Violet Fox put special attention to watching the trees, Still, her focus was so strong that, even when the threat came from an entirely different direction, she still reacted instantly. Violet Fox’s fan flicked out with blinding speed, trapping and stopping the throwing blade arrowing towards White Sparrow. A wet, hacking chuckle sounded from the rooftop across the courtyard, “Impressive.” A shadow detached itself from the roof and jumped into the courtyard. The intruder was an old woman dressed in dirty fur clothes, her long hair was matted and tangled.

White Sparrow looked at the intruder with a small sneer on her lips, “Malignant Viper. I thought I smelled rotting flesh.” Malignant Viper laughed, “Say what you like old sparrow, you will be dead by sundown.” Her voice sounded like the rasp of a rusty dagger and she stank of rot and corruption.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Violet Fox pulled the dagger from her fan. She examined it for a moment, smiled, and pinned it in her hair. "I thank you for the gift, Sifu Viper. You may take tea with us, if you wish, and discuss your grievances, or you can test yourself against me and be sent away in shame," said Violet Fox demurely, fanning herself.

"Peh," spat Malignant Viper. "Don't mock me, girl child. I'll kill you first."

With a flick Violet Fox closed the fan and set it on the table. "I see," she said, turning to White Sparrow and giving her a small bow. "Please excuse me, Sifu," she said politely.

"Of course."

With another bow, Violet Fox leapt into the air, her violet, blue and silver robes billowing behind her as she approached Malignant Viper!
    Lake (Speed): 7#1d10 3 1 3 2 1 5 6

gonna go ahead and take those 1s for the roll, with the Speed bonus brings Fox's initiative to 31

gonna use those 3s to initiate a wave, specifically to Cover Ground, which is a 23 modified to 33 with the +10 Footwork bonus.

also for what it's worth, i'm going to spend 1 Chi as well to use Fox Leaves No Tracks so Viper has a -10 penalty to break waves this round. just in case she had any funny business in mind

lastly gonna stick a 5 and a 6 in the river

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Morose Expression's face grew even more downcast, and he cowered, covering his head with both arms and moaning at his ill fortune, but a calm hand rested on his shoulder, and the unflappable countenance of Strong Arm Lau looked down on him.
    "You may finish my tea in peace. These bandits will not get far, no matter how fast they run."

The Liquid Metal Delegate reached into the unremarkable brown sack that rested by the table and pulled out a massive length of chain, wrapping the thick black iron around his left fist as he walked towards the entrance, jaw set as he shoved past the babbling merchant and the warrior attempting to reassure him, striding confidently through the doorway of the teahouse to survey the situation.

Dozens of civilians ran screaming, merchant stalls burning as the bandits grabbed what valuables they could, shoving them into their pouches and sacks, slashing at any unfortunate enough to get close to the villains. It was pure chaos, even the villagers shouting as they tried to guide others to safety were unable to be heard above the crowd.
    Strong Arm Lau had no such trouble being heard, his voice booming across the entire village, echoing through buildings and even into the surrounding forest as he slowly uncoiled the full length of the Chain of Wretched Crimes.
    "Your crimes have been noted, foul thieves and scavengers! Strong Arm Lau, the Liquid Metal Judge, has arrived to deliver your sentencing! Surrender, and I will be merciful. Resist, and face the Iron Law!"
    Confidence: 7#1d10 8 7 7 3 6 10 1
    I don't even know maybe I should count that as initiative I just realized after I rolled it?
    Initiative would be 27+15=42, and then I guess I can't do a Marvel off my initiative roll but if I DID it would be taking the 8 to get 23 with my Confidence. Bah, this system is slightly confusing.

Oh, and spending 1 Chi on Booming Deity's Voice, if it wasn't obvious.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Silver Silk considered his options for a moment. The crowd had gone quiet, and their eager eyes peered at the two men, waiting to see what would happen.
    Sensing that the obnoxious man wasn't likely to back down from words alone, and always eager to please a crowd, Silver Silk readied himself.
    "Fine then! But when I beat you, drop this nonsense and let these people through!"

Silver Silk gave his opponent just a split second to get ready before using his staff to vault towards him.
    Initiative: 7#1d10 = 10 3 1 2 2 10 9
    Going to spend 1 Earth Chi to activate Travelling the Instant Path and using the pair of 2s for a (22+15=) 37 initiative.
    Going to use the pair of 10s as a 20 and spend 2 chi for lightfoot to get a 30 for Cover Ground to vault up towards Bright Fist, since you need 30 to scale a wall and my footwork is bad.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Silver Silk Gu Wan

As Silver Silk gracefully crested the wall and set his foot upon the wooden gate, the crowds murmuring grew louder and incensed. A few of the travellers had had enough and started throwing rocks up at the two Wulin fighters. Others, emboldened by their fellows, soon followed their example. The rocks were accompanied by jeers, insults, and angry shouts from the crowd as well.

Bright Fist grinned widely and settled into a defensive stance, "A perfect punctuation to our battle. I will relinquish this gate if you prove your wushu is stronger."
    A minor chi condition(Jeered) is placed on both Silver Silk and Bright Fist. The condition is a -5 action penalty. An inspire minor action can be used to dispel chi condition on both fighters or just one. If both try to get the crowd back on their side, it's a competing roll.

Initiative: Lake: Initiative: 7d10 37. A roll of 26 + 10= 36. Silk gets the first strike.

Violet Fox

Malignant Viper laughed, "Ah, the arrogance of youth. Bleed for me little one!" The corrupt witch slipped two daggers dripping with poison from beneath her soiled clothes and flicked both at Violet Fox. Like two swooping crows, the black iron blades zeroed in on the young Fox.
    Lake: Initiative: 7d10 52 3 8's for a roll of 38 + 5 = 43.

And Lake: Strike (thrown dagger): 7d10 37. 2 3's for 23 + 15 is 38. Using Cobra Strike. Taking the two 10's for a Minor Action to Poison at 25.

Strong Arm Lau

As Lau walked out of the Crescent Moon Tea House, behind him Morose Expression grabbed the teapot and pulled it in front of him.

Out in the street, the panicked crowd of townsfolk, merchants, and traders moved past Strong Arm Lau. They flowed around him like a river flows around a mighty bolder, unable to dislodge or budge him. Down the street, Lau could see bandits rampaging closer, using torches to set anything flammable in their path alight, laughing as they did.

As the echoes of Lau's declaration rang out a sinister voice laughed from the roof above on the right side of the street, "Surrender? Heeheheeeee. Does a fire surrender to the forest? Does a forge surrender to the plow? I think not." The voice came from a scrawny man wearing leather armor crouching on the slanted rooftop. Lau could see smoke wafting and curling out of his mouth with each word and breath. It was as if his insides were ablaze and his mouth was the outlet. The bandit smiled, "But this blaze will gladly burn you to ash. That we will do. Brothers!" He yelled to the bandit mob growing closer, "We have one who shows spirit. What should be his reward?!"

"BURN HIM!" The bandits roared as they rushed forward in an attempt to engulf Strong Arm. Some of the bandits jumped up onto the rooftops to watch.
    The majority of the bandits will act as a band of minions, Fourth Rank.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    "You lavish gifts upon me, Elder," said Violet Fox, snatching both weapons out of the air with utmost grace, placing both slender blades in her hair. "I might have to re-do my hair if you insist further!"
    Lake (Block against Strike): 7#1d10 5 8 8 4 10 9 9

hoo-wee! gonna take those 2 9's with a +10 block for a 39 Block, and then the 28 for a 38 on the Block for Poison.

Landing in front of the older woman, the courtier assumed the opening stance of Water Drake. "Qinglong's Unavoidable Tide!" she said, suddenly dashing around the old woman and unleashing a flurry of blows, containing her within a sea of palm strikes like a whirlpool, leaving the older xia no avenue for escape!
    okay, so, I'm going to spend 2 Chi on Mirthful Fox Plays With Her Shadow, which means my style laughs at hers and her style fears mine for this round, which means a 10 point swing in my favor. Also going to spend 2 Chi on Overwhelming Lightness for +5 Strike. I may also spend 2 Chi on Flicking Tail Lashings for another +5 Strike, but I can do that after she rolls her defense against my attack.

Lake (Strike): 7#1d10 4 5 6 7 9 7 8

a good set. gonna take the 27 on the strike, +5 for laughing, +5 for the technique, +10 for my style, for a net result of 47 on the strike, with the option of bumping up to a whopping 52 if she rolls high. Note she takes a -5 to her defense for Fearing my style and I've worded the description so that Block is the more appropriate defensive stat, so that should impose a -5 penalty to her Footwork if she opts to dodge.

Chi: 11/13 (9/13 if Viper rolls a good defense) (at the end of the round)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    "The iron of the law does not fear the fire."
    Strong Arm Lau's jaw sets as he whirls the massive chain over his head, muscles rippling as he manipulates the massive blunt-force weapon with casual ease.
    "The test of fire only serves to strengthen the iron."
    With a roar, he shoots his hand forward, sending the chain sweeping into the crowd of onrushing bandits with massive force, sweeping in a direct line with undeniable strength and skill, more than strong enough to overwhelm any attempt to block the strike.
    "Unstoppable Chain of Law's Command!"
    Eh. These are shitty bandits, so I'm not too worried about spending Chi. I'll get showy when I roll damage.
    Attacking the mob of bandits: 7#1d10 6 9 4 10 6 7 8
    Grab the 2 6's for 26+10 from my Strike bonus is 36 to hit(ugh), and they've got a -10 if they try to Block it.

Can I stash singles in my River? I don't even know. The book says unused sets but technically everything is a set? AAAHHH. And I don't need to use my damage/toughness internal chi techniques until we actually make the ripple rolls, yes?

Chi: 12/13 Lake 7 River 9 X

• Options
    edited June 2013
    "What barbarism! You would turn on the very man who seeks to remove this obstacle from your path?"
    Turning from the crowd, Silver Silk rushed forwards and began his attack. "I've heard it said that lightning never strikes the same spot twice. But that is wrong! Lightning will strike 1000 times if it wants! Few have ever escaped my Intense Divine Storm!"
    In an instant, the only thing that seemed to be left of Gu's staff was the shine from the polished silver as an uncountable number of lightning quick strikes from all directions traveled towards Bright Fist.
    Lake: Attack 7#1d10: 1 2 5 2 6 3 8
    Going to use that 6 with the pair from my river and attack with my +15 strike for a 51 strike. Total 46 since I think I'm taking a -5 from the rock throwers. Destiny Cloud Fist fears swift attacks, so Bright Fist might take a -5 to his defense. In addition the swiftness of that attack is probably far easier to block than dodge, so he might take a -5 to his dodge roll.
    Going to use that pair of 2s to attempt to dispel the chi condition on Silver Silk. With my Inspire skill that's a 32, maybe -5 from the rock throwers again so 27.

premium on
  • Options
    Silver Silk

As Silver Silk struck Bright Fist grinned and blurred into motion, staying slightly ahead or out of reach of every one of Silver Silk's strikes. Dodging atop the narrow wooden gate would seem impossible, but Bright Fist's footwork was nearly impeccable. Only nearly, though, as the last staff swing gently grazed his face as he dodged.

"Most impressive! But as you can see, my Crane navigates Raindrops was able to handle your own attack well enough." The young man snatched a thrown rock aimed at his face and laughed, "I think I've made enough of an impression today. I would be honored to continue our test, but I would yield the Gate to you, Elder." He set action to his words and kicked his side of the gate open before lightly vaulting over to the wall. "However our contest actually ends, I can tell you are of a match to me."
    Lake: Dodge: 7d10 35 (10 1 2 4 6 6 6.) That's a 36 + 20 footwork - 5 dodge - 5 Fear - 5 Chi Condition = 41. So that inflicts one Ripple on Bright Fist but no other penalties so far. Using the 10 combined with two 10's from a previous roll that I dropped into the River (which I didn't note in-thread, won't miss stating that in the future) for a total 35 Inspire to sway the crowd. Bright Fist chooses to remove the chi condition on both fighters, depending on Silver Silk's next action.

If the fight continues. Lake: Initiative: 7d10 31 (6 1 2 4 3 10 5) oof, big ol nothing on that Lake.

Violet Fox

Violet Fox's speed was so great that Malignant Viper was unable to escape the assault. Still, the assassin moved like smoke, denying Violet Fox a solid hit.

Malignant Viper spat at the young woman, "Mildly impressive whelp. I may actually have to try."
    Lake: Footwork: 7d10 38 (7 9 8 1 6 5 2.) Best out of that is a flat 19 (because of the -5 to Fearing Violet Fox's style and the -5 to doge.) That's 2 Ripples and a Rippling Roll on Viper. Rippling Roll: 2d10 15 (5 , 10) 15 vs. Viper's Chi Aura (2 chi spent): 2d10 10 (8 2) 18. So no Chi Condition on Viper but she has two ripples.

As the Round is over, Viper regains her two spent points of normal Chi and the one point of Corrupt spent on the poison attack this round.
    Saving some time: Lake: Initiative: 7d10 39 (6 6 7 7 2 2 9) Viper is using the 27 + 5 = 32 for her Initiative for the next round. She will be also be dropping the set of 6's into her River and using the 22 as a Wave (Footwork: 32 total) to cover ground to the roof on the other side of the courtyard.

Strong Arm Lau

The bandits nimbly leapt over and dove under the sweeping chain, laughing. They fell on Strong Arm Lau like a wave falls on the shore, coming at him from both sides, others slipping in to strike when Lau struck out at others of their band.

Their leader laughed, "How wonderful! I think I'll have you hung from your own chain over our firepit."
    Lake: Dodge: 7d10 34 (4 6 8 10 2 2 2) 32+5=37
    Lake: Strike: 7d10 33 (3 5 5 2 2 10 6) 25+10=35 Because of the description, this will be easier to Dodge than to Block.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    With her invective Malignant Viper leaped backwards, hoping to put some distance between her and the younger fighter, hoping to put the young courtier at a range disadvantage.

The strategy was obvious. The young woman closed the distance immediately, coming from two angles, high and low--punches aimed at the head and neck and kicks aimed at the knee joint. Viper had to focus on defending herself and she was so preoccupied with getting a range advantage that she left an opening and the young xia capitalized, striking quickly. The palm strike slapped the old woman's cheek audibly and she stumbled backwards.

Violet Fox raised a sleeve to her mouth as though in abject shock. "Sifu, perhaps I am playing too roughly?"

From behind them White Sparrow chuckled and took a sip of her tea.
    Lake (Initiative): 7#1d10 7 7 4 7 3 2 5

well god damn, that's a 37 on the Initiative, with the Speed bonus of +10 for a 47. Looks like Fox is going first. also going to take one die and use the 5 for a 15 for a Focus on Breath, with +10 Confidence makes a 25 which means Fox will get an extra point of Chi at the end of the round.

for the upcoming turn I'm going to spend 2 points of Chivalrous Joss and expand my Lake to 9 dice. also going to use the same internal techniques as before.

Lake +2 (Kick punch!): 9#1d10 4 9 5 9 7 10 7 4 1

i'm going to use the 27 to Break the Wave with a plain old strike totalling 37 so WAVE BROKEN!

29 + 10 Style Bonus + 5 Laughing + 5 Technique for a 49 total with an option to go up to a 54 with Flicking Tail Lashings.

Viper's Lake (Defense): 7#1d10 7 9 7 1 5 9 8

Viper rolled a 29 and a 27 in that Defense set, +10 for Dodge, -5 for fearing, -5 for descriptor, so a flat 29. Dunno what she wants to do with those 7s - can't really apply them to anything as far as I know. I assume she's going to spent her 2 Chi to Chi Aura since she just took 2 more ripples and has another Rippling Roll ahead of her.

Rippling Roll (Viper): 4d10 6 4 10 3

16 on the Rippling roll minus...

Chi Aura (Viper): 2d10 7 5

Which means 17+5=22. so no wounds on her yet, but she does have four ripples.

gonna use those 4s for a 24 + 10 Inspire for a 34 in Discovering Passions as a Minor Action. I think with this comeuppance Fox is dishing out she might develop a trivial chi condition related to Anger/Wood. I think 30 is base difficulty for reading a likely condition.

Lake (Initiative): 7#1d10 10 3 7 9 3 1 10

interesting. gonna use the 23 for my initiative this next go around for 33 and use the tens for a Focus on Breath for a 30.

Chivalrous Joss 1
    Chi 5/13 (8/13 at the end of the round)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Strong Arm Lau sets his jaw firmly as the bandits rush at him, leaping into the air to evade their slow and clumsy attacks as he whirls the chain around him.
    "The law applies to all! Not one man can step outside it without fearing judgement! Your foolish assault on this town will result only in your death, and the extermination of a foul plague upon this village!"
    As the Liquid Metal Judge descends on the crowd of bandits he lashes out, spinning the chain back and forth in an unrelenting assault that seems to fill the entire air around him, the weighted heavy chain tearing up the dirt and chipping the walls of the teahouse behind him, although the fury of Lau takes a much greater toll on the bandits in front of him. "Your Unescapable Judgement has come!"
    Lake for Defense: 7#1d10 1 9 4 6 5 6 4
    26+10=36 to Dodge, I'll put the pair of 4s in my River(yay finally a half-decent roll.)
    So that's a dodge, and they miss, and I'll respire that 1 Chi I spent without worry.

Since they're a minions, I win initiative automatically, but here's my roll: Initiative, Round 2: 7#1d10 3 9 4 2 4 3 4. I'll take the 19+15=34 for Initiative, and use the 3 4's for nothing, since I really want to clean up these crappy minions right here and right now and already respired all my Chi. Well. Let's see how this attack goes.

It looks like the minions are trying to adapt to my style, but Shadow Catching laughs at such versatility and adaptation. They're much slower and don't stand a chance at keeping up with the quick variation of my moves.

Striking the Minions, Laughing at 'em: 7#1d10 7 6 1 7 1 4 1
    I'll take 31 for +10 Strike and +5 Laughing for 46 to hit, with a quick adaptation of my attack so that Blocking will be much more effective than Dodging, putting their Dodge at -10. I'll also Float my set of 4's from the River to add to that other 4 for an Area Attack Marvel at 34+Strike 10 for 44(laughs at for 49? I dunno) to get an extra Ripple against the Minions, and I'll Float the pair of 7's into my River.

If that hits, assume that I'm triggering my Fierce Dragon Breaks Bones internal Chi Technique along with the Iron Power Internal Chi Technique, burning both my Metal Chi points and adding +20 to my Damage Roll(along with +5 from Style and +5 from Weapon for a +30 total hahaahahaaaaaa) It's tempting to Flood 1 die to ignore armor on the roll, but naaah.

Chi: 13/13 Lake 7 River 7 7

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Silver Silk aggressively lept over to the wall where Bright Fist stood, keeping him just at the edge of his his staff's reach.
    "Thank you for opening the gate, perhaps there is hope for you after all!
    That was quite excellent footwork, but my true strength is not just in my attack.
    I have been walking all day and am completely famished. Would you permit me to end this early so I may find something to eat?
    I will allow you to test your attack against my Shining Sheath before I go, so I may prove to you that your barbarism has no place in an enlightened world!"
    I respire 2 earth chi.
    Lake: Initiative - 2 1 9 3 9 5 10
    If it's allowed, I'll take the single 5 rather than the set of 9s from that and put the 9s in my river, spending 1 earth chi to travel the instant path for a +10 (25 total vs Bright Fists 16)
    (If I missed a rule against purposely taking singles to pad my river then I'll take the 9s as my initiative, either way I win it.)

I choose to delay my action until Bright Fist responds or attacks.

Chi 11/13, Lake 7, River 9 9

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Violet Fox

Malignant Viper glared at Violet Fox with murder in her eyes, "I Will Not! Lose! To a stupid Child! Viper Pit Strike!" The enraged assassin filled the air with poison knives. The blades slashed in from all sides in a merciless onslaught. Some were targeted to spill blood and cut flesh; others were targeted to disrupt chakra points; and some aimed to sink their poisonous gift into Violet Fox.
    Lake: Strike: 7d10 43 (10 7 7 10 6 1 2) Taking the pair of 6's out of the River for a 36+15=51. If the attack hits and forces a Rippling Roll, Viper will spend one Corrupt Chi to trigger Power-Dissolving Radiance, limiting Violet Fox to one less Chi Aura die than normal. The 27 is for a Poison Minor Attack Action at 32. The 20 will be used to fuel a Disrupt Minor Action with Medicine as the governing skill, making the result to defend/throw off a 30. If this sticks, it will lower Fox's Strike by 5.
    gonna use those 4s for a 24 + 10 Inspire for a 34 in Discovering Passions as a Minor Action. I think with this comeuppance Fox is dishing out she might develop a trivial chi condition related to Anger/Wood. I think 30 is base difficulty for reading a likely condition.
    A 'likely reading of the situation' only has a 20 difficulty. The 34 result is enough to spot a Minor Weakness relating to Wood/Anger. I think this should manifest as a -5 action penalty and be Passion(Rage).

Total Chi: 10/11 (1/2 Corrupt, if Power-Dissolving Radiance is used.) These will respire to max at end of the round.

Forgot to roll Lake: Initiative: 7d10 34 (6 5 2 7 7 1 6.) That's a 27+5=32. Unless Viper's Meat-Gorged Murder technique is triggered, Violet Fox will have the first go next round. And those 6's will go into the River.

Strong Arm Lau

The Chain of Lau swept the street clean. Some few of the lawbreakers managed to stand against it, but many were struck down by the weighted weapon. Some were thrown bodily into the shops and stores lining either both sides of the street, only a few emerged from the interiors able to continue fighting. The remaining bandits fall upon the Liquid Metal Judge, determined to punish him for standing against them. Their reduced number made them slightly timid and the attacks showed that their fighting spirit was waning.

The bandits that had claimed the rooftops before all shouted angrily at Lau's gall. At their leader's cry, "Fall upon him, brothers! Let this fool fear our flame!", they drew their weapons and made ready to fight. On the roof behind him, Lau could hear the bandit leader shift his weight, getting ready to attack with his men.
    Lake: Block: 7d10 41 (9 9 7 6 1 2 7.) So that's a 39 vs. Lau's 46 and a 37 vs. a 49. So we have 1 Ripple and 2 Ripples applied to the Minion group. Minions don't deal with Rippling Rolls, so boosting your damage stat has no effect, if you'd prefer to keep those Metal Chi in reserve, you may. Also, Fierce Dragon Breaks Bones and Iron Power are both internal kung fu techniques, the bonuses from both don't stack as they are the same type of bonus. You'd just get the higher of the two, the +15 from Fierce Dragon Breaks Bones.

Lake: Strike: 7d10 28 (5 5 7 1 4 3 3.) A 25+10=35 again for a Strike this round. Block or Dodge are both equally viable. There aren't enough to encircle Lau and the individual attacks aren't decisive enough to make blocking an untenable action.
    Lake: Initiative: 7d10 34 (8 2 7 3 6 5 3.) Also, the leader will be joining the fight next round with a 48 (23+15+10 from Elusive Desert Being) initiative result.

Silver Silk

Bright Fist smiled, "A test? Excellent! See if you can beat my perfect squall devastation technique!" The arrogant fighter rushed forward in an impressive burst of speed. Like the wind, the attack was extremely close yet elusive, fading away when pushed and rushing forward wherever an opening presented itself.
    Since Silver Silk is delaying his action, Bright Fist will oblige him. Lake: Strike: 7d10 32 (3 1 8 9 2 6 3). Taking the 23+5+10 (from Hou Yi's Arrows technique)=38 Do you figure that letting Bright Fist have the strike would constitute 'excessive yin'? Destiny Cloud Fist laughs at excessive yin and excessive yang. If so, that's a +5 bonus on the strike as well, bumping it up to a 43. The attack as described would be easier to Dodge than Block.

Total Chi:10/12 (which will respire to back up to 12 at round's end.)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Silver Silk was unfazed by the rapid assault. Wherever Bright Fist tried to attack, the silver staff was waiting for him. Any time it seemed there was an opening, it turned out to be a trap and Bright Fist often found himself having to dodge a vicious counterattack.
    When the attack was over, Silver Silk had not allowed even a single blow through his defense. Instead it was Bright Fist who found himself a bit worse off, as some of the counterattacks had come a bit too close for comfort.

"Have you had enough yet? Perhaps if you were a bit more cultured, you might stand a chance."
    Silver Silk lets his vision wander over into the town.
    "Now, would you be able to tell me where I can get a good meal?"
    Lake: Block - 6 3 6 2 9 6 6
    That's a pretty good roll.
    I'll take those 4 6s for a 46, +20 from my kung fu, -5 because I'm blocking instead of dodging for a whopping 61, more than enough to block the 43
    Because my block was more than 10 higher than the attack I also use my Hell Pattern Judgement to Reply and inflict a ripple.

This fight is probably resolved but just in case Bright Fist doesn't see it that way and since I'm basically just talking instead of doing anything I could see that being resolved as me giving up my action entirely(though I doubt that's the case but anyways).
    Lake: Initiative - 10 3 1 1 1 4 6
    31 + 5 speed for a 36 initiative.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    The cloud of flying daggers was almost too much for the young courtier--almost. With fluid, circular motions the beautiful xia weaved and dodged, swept and deflected until all of the knives had buried themselves in the ground, in the surrounding trees, and many in the courtyard's walls behind them. For a moment there was stillness and silence between the two fighters as they contemplated each other's fighting spirit.

"That was a very strong technique, sifu," the girl said, plucking one of the blades from the ground. She placed it in her hair--now there were three small knives pinned in her long ebon and azure locks. There was no further repartée--Violet Fox simply waited for another move from the older woman, allowing the numbness in her left arm to subside.

"You'll need to be stronger to break these old calcified bones, girl," the old woman spat again, smiling. Her teeth were browned and cracked and vile and Fox couldn't resist scrunching up her nose.

"Perhaps," said the younger girl.
    definitely gonna have to spend another Joss this round. because I am a gooby I forgot that I still had my +2 Joss bonus from last round.

Lake +1 (Block): 8#1d10 9 5 7 3 4 2 2 5

hokie dokie, gonna use the 25 + 15 Block for 40 on the main attack, so that's a Ripple and a Rippling Roll... except I can float a pair of 2s into the river and then flood one out to up my Block and Toughness by 5 each for this round using Contained Water Sphere. 45! I'm also going to, being that I am a clever writer, what with my descriptions, this Defense is taking advantage of two things: Flowing Universe Laughs at Direct Linear Movements. this latest barrage is nothing if not direct. Also Ravenous Wings Fears what is Wholesome and Pure. I am the wholesomest and pure! That should effectively lower her attack to 46 and up my defense to 51, just barely avoiding a ripple. I definitely don't want Viper going before me again.

okay, end of round. 8/13 Chi.

Lake (Finish Him!): 8#1d10 1 3 10 2 4 2 2 5 dunno if you're letting me use the extra die from my Joss, it didn't really help me out there but eh.

2 2 2 from the River makes a 32 to get rid of that silly medicine condition. thought I'd go for an Alpha Strike here but that will have to wait until next time. also I'm going to Flood my other 2 here to activate Contained Water Sphere again, since it's round long. That way if I get juicy sets on the upcoming defense rolls I can make use of them.

Your move, Viper.

11/13 Chi at the end of round 3. 1 Joss.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Strong Arm Lau stands in the midst of the bandits, a sneer curling across his face as he shifts from side to side, his chain whirling with the faintest motions of his body to block the strikes of the weakling opposing him.
    "No matter your efforts, the law stands firm! You cannot find a loophole or a weakness in the technique of the law, for the inviolable tenets set down years ago have held firm to this day despite the strongest assaults of fools like yourselves!
    He spun, sending the petty criminals stumbling back a few paces as he looked up at the warrior standing on the roof of the teahouse.
    "And you! Coward! You think flames are enough to stop Strong Arm Lau? You are laughable! Unremarkable and weak! Your flickering flames will not last long against the mighty rushing wind of the law!"
    With his last word, the Liquid Metal Judge points dramatically, his chain whistling up to the roof with lightning speed and force of thunder to strike the bandit leader in the chest.
    Blocking the Minions: 7#1d10 2 7 3 7 7 3 5
    A 47(7x3+10) will negate that strike handily. It's a pity I can't use that roll for anything else.

Initiative, Round 3: 7#1d10 7 4 6 2 8 2 7
    More 7's! I'll float the 2 7's in my River to turn that into 62(7, 7, 7, 7+15) and float the 2's into my River to replace them.

Attacking the Smoke Demon, Flooding 1 to attack at range, flooding 1 to ignore armor: 7#1d10 9 5 4 9 5 2 7

Oh wow that's a nice roll for me. I'll take the 9's for my main strike(9,9 is 39 to Strike,) put 5,5(with probably Might given the description, and I'll spend 2 points of Chi for another +5) for a Knockback Marvel to send the Smoke Demon to the other side of the Teahouse to give me a bit of room to clear out these petty criminals. Hah!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Violet Fox

"What? No witty retort? Ah well, since you're not using your tongue anymore, you won't mind if I cut it out!" Malignant Viper dove after Violet Fox with a razor sharp knife in each hand. The assassin was truly through playing and wanted blood.
    Round 3: Lake: Strike: 7d10 38 (4 5 6 7 2 6 8.) Taking those 2 6's combined with the two 6's in Vipers River for a total of 46+15=61 If the attack hits and forces a Rippling Roll, Viper will spend one Corrupt Chi to trigger Power-Dissolving Radiance, limiting Violet Fox to one less Chi Aura die than normal. Also, take note that Ravenous Wings laughs at Fluidity, which could bump that attack to a 66, as Flowing Universe appears to be nothing but fluid.

Total Chi(at end of round 3): 11/11, 2/2 Corrupt (1 used and respired if Power-Dissolving Radiance is used.)
    River: empty.

Round 4: Lake: Initiative: 7d10 37 (10 7 5 3 3 6 3.) The base Initiative is 36+5=41. If the attack from the previous round hits, Viper's Speed will increase to +10, making her Initiative result a 46.

Silver Silk

Bright Fist beamed as he jumped down from the wall and beckoned Silver Silk to follow him. As the two walked deeper into Seven Roads, Bright Fist spoke, "A good meal?! I know just the place. The Crescent Moon Tea House! Don't let the name fool you, you won't find better sake anywhere in Seven Roads. Though the tea certainly isn't bad either!" Bright Fist laughed and gently elbowed Silver Silk in the side. "I'll even buy the first round, if you're the drinking type. And they do serve food there. But I'm usually there for the sake, you see."

It wasn't long before both Wulin fighters ran into the flood of merchants, travelers, and city residents streaming away from the Crescent Moon Tea House. The throng moved around the two men, some back to the city gate, clearly thinking it had been safer outside the city.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Violet Fox shook her head, placing her hands in the sleeves of her voluminous robes. "I have no witty retorts as I have acknowledged your strength, sifu."

As the knives came down around her in downward strikes, the young courtesan simply stepped backwards. "My offer to take tea with us and speak as civilized, proper folk is still on the table," Fox said between sidesteps.
    Round 3 - 8/13 Chi, 1 Joss.

Lake (Dodge against Strike): 7#1d10 1 6 7 10 4 6 10

looks like Fox is taking that attack, spending 2 Chi to use Parting the Grass for the +20 bonus to Dodge making the total a 46. You didn't actually describe taking advantage of the fluidity so I'm going to claim my full Laughs/Fears bonus (+10) again through the narration, I hope that's okay (I don't want to die - more on this later). 61 vs. 56 is 1 Ripple.

End of Round 3 - 1 Ripple, 9/13 Chi, 1 Joss.

Beginning of Round 4 - 9/13 Chi, 1 Joss.

Spending 1 Joss for this round.

Lake +1 (Initiative): 8#1d10 10 6 9 1 3 3 2 4

33 on the initiative, that helped me about none.

guess viper gets to go again.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Strong Arm Lau

The chain whipped out fast as a striking snake but Smoke Demon was faster. The man dodged to one side, avoiding the massive chain effortlessly. He gathered his chi and shot forward fast as lightning. His saber hissed from its scabbard and flames danced along the blade. "The wind only fans flame higher and hotter! I will spit you with Hellfire Blade!" Smoke Demon swung his burning saber in a two handed cut aimed at Lau's neck.

Behind Lau, a series of thundering cracks sounded, the cry of breaking wood echoing over the rooftops and into the street. The bandits that had taken good vantage points on the rooftops were discovering that visibility cuts both ways. In seeking a better view of the mayhem, they'd made targets of themselves. One was attacked from below as a weighted rope shot up through the wooden roof and wrapped around the bandit's neck. The man slammed into and through the broken roof as the rope was pulled from below and was gone from sight in an instant. Another suffered the same fate, though he was pulled through when a single hand closed around his ankle with an unbreakable iron grip.

A third bandit was sent flying when a man erupted up through the roof from below, connecting with a powerful palm thrust to the bandit's chin. "Sorry to butt in, but we couldn't let you have all the fun!" the fighter said with a laugh before bounding off in search of a new opponent.

Some of the remaining bandits turned towards the threats that had so easily disabled each of the three lieutenants. The rest, following the example of their leader, pounced on Strong Arm Lau. Even reduced in number, they thought they were still numerous enough that Lau couldn't keep them all at bay with his chain.
    Round 3: Smoke Demon defense: Dodge: 7d10 48 (2 10 1 9 7 9 10.) A 20 and a 29 equates to a 45 and a 54 (Since Elusive Desert Being is a round-long +10 to Speed and Footwork.) Using the 54 against the Strike and the 45 against the knockback marvel means both are avoided and negated.
    Smoke Demon's attack: Lake: Strike: 7d10 42: (2 8 10 7 5 2 8.) Ok. a 28 and 22. That's a 38 attack and a 32 Burn effect. Equally easy to block/dodge.

Minions: (3 Ripples inflicted of 8 maximum.) Lake: Strike: 7d10 30 (1 4 7 2 6 3 7.) A 27+10=37. Because of the description, easier to dodge than block, methinks.

Round 4: Lake: Initiative: 7d10 48 (6 10 8 2 7 6 9.) That's a 26+15=41.

Thirsty Mountain

Honest Jao, the owner of the Crescent Moon Tea House, stood near the kitchen doorway watching Strong Arm Lau deal with the bandits. As the fight drew closer to his front door, he put down the cloth he'd been using to polish teacups and stepped over to a table in the back corner of the establishment, grabbing a bottle of wine from under the bar on the way. The table's one occupant was a veritable mountain of a man, dressed in worn but well-kept travelling clothes. A clay wine bottle hung from his belt and two heavy axes lay at one end of the table. Currently he was dead asleep, snoring deeply. Honest Jao slammed his palm onto the table, "Wake up." he said.

As the fighter slowly raised his head and blinked sleepily at the bartender, Jao pointed towards the door, "Bandits. Fire Doctrine by the style. Deal with it?" He set the bottle down and looked at the man, waiting for his response.

Violet Fox

"I'd sooner pluck out my own eyeballs." Malignant Viper sneered. She lept gently backward, "I think instead, I'll let my blades speak for me. Viper drives Mouse!" The assassin pulled poisoned knives from beneath her clothes and sent them spinning towards Violet Fox. Each was precisely aimed, leaving Violet Fox no easy way to avoid them except to step backwards. To not would be to risk a knife in the side or one through a foot.
    Round 4: Lake: Strike: 7d10 36 (8 8 10 4 1 4 1.) Ok, taking the 28+15=42 for a Strike. The 24+5=29 as a Poison minor action. The 21 will be a knockback marvel using Viper's Finesse skill for a 31 result. The attack is equally easy to block/dodge.

Round 5: Lake: Initiative: 7d10 43 (4 9 9 5 2 4 10.) Initiative is 29+5=34. If the attack from round 4 inflicts a ripple, that result will be 39 instead. Putting the pair of 4's in the river.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Thirsty Mountain Shen yawned massively and smacked his lips. He glanced around the teahouse, then back at Honest Jao. "Where are those listless brothers you keep around? Shouldn't they be dealing with this?"

Jao shook his head. "They are for inside the teahouse. The trouble is outside." He nudged the bottle on the table.

Thirsty Mountain sat up and rose to his feet. He picked up his two axes in one huge hand, and grabbed the bottle with the other, removing the plug with his teeth. He drank deeply for several seconds and then started towards the front door, unsteadily at first, but growing more sure with each step. He caught the eye of Ling, one of the teahouse servants, entering through the kitchen and gave her an exaggerated wink. She pursed her lips and smiled back uncomfortably.

Reaching the front door, Thirsty Mountain peered out into the street, blinking in the sunlight. "Hey, Jao! I thought you said these dogs were all Fire Doctrine! At least one of them isn't!"
    "Yes, that's right," Jao responded patiently. "But I assumed that a wulin of your caliber would be able to tell the difference."
    "Ha! Assume nothing, old man! What if I had gone out there and killed everyone with a single sweep of my axes? Imagine my embarassment at killing someone who didn't need it! Think of my reputation!"
    "Thank the Buddha for your clarity of mind," Jao said testily. "Now, will you help the man with chain? He's the only one who has stood up to the bandits so far."
    "I could - but what if he's insulted by my interference?"
    Jao sighed. "I'm sure he will get over it. Besides, you could use the exercise."
    Thirsty Mountain chuckled. "Why? Do you think I'm fat?"
    "Yes."
    "What? How dare you!" Thirsty Mountain sputtered, turning to face Jao. "I'm not fat, I have big bones! Huge bones! Bones like a dragon!"
    "A fat dragon, perhaps," Jao retorted. "Now get out there and make yourself useful."
    For a moment, the two men locked gazes - and then Thirsty Mountain threw his head back and gave a deep belly laugh.
    "You know, Jao, one day I will have to try to kill you for your impertinence. But for now, I will get some exercise." He hefted his axes and stepped out into the street.

Honest Jao watched him go. Youth, he snorted and went back to cleaning his cups.

Thirsty Mountain Shen emerged from the teahouse as the bandits and their demon leader swarmed around the chain fighter. He clashed his axes together and bellowed, "So many against one? You cowardly dogs! You have awakened the Mountain and now you shall taste the storm!" He surged into the mass of bandits, his axes flashing in the sun. "Woodsman Fells the Unworthy Tree!

The axes bit deep and the Fire Doctrine bandits howled in surprise and pain as blood arced through the air. Several collapsed, clutching at ghastly wounds or laying forever still at the feet of the Mountain. The others backed off slightly and looked to their leader for direction.
    Round 4: Lake: Initiative: 7d10: 39 [7d10=5, 5, 4, 5, 9, 10, 1]
    Not a bad start. I'll grab those three 5's for 35 + 15 for my kung fu and technique for Initiative 50.
    Do I need to Cover Ground to join the fight? In case I do, I'll take the 9 for 19 and assume that stepping into the street to join a brawl is Trivial. No other sets to put in my River so that's it for that roll.

Round 4: Lake: Strike Bandit Minions: 7d10: 36 [7d10=4, 2, 8, 5, 8, 2, 7]
    I'll take 28 +10 for my kung fu + 5 for Paired weapons = 43, and what the heck - I'll spend two Chi for Hou Chi's Arrow's to add another +10 for a total Strike 53 versus the bandits.
    I'll Float the 2's into my River and then immediately Flood them back out for a Secondary Attack (as per Paired Weapons). Adding my total bonus of +15 that gives me Secondary Strike 37, and I think I get to apply my activated style bonus, so that makes Secondary Strike 47.
    I'm just getting stuck in, so Dodging or Blocking should be fine.

Chi: 10/12
    Chi Threshold: 12/17
    EDIT: and the bandits rolled a Lake: Dodge: 7d10 39 (9 2 9 9 5 3 2.) So that's a 39+10=49 and a 22+10=32.
    EDIT: Based on Thirsty Mountain Shen's attack, he inflicts onetwo ripples on the Minions. 5 ripples inflicted of 8 remaining.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Violet Fox let out a small sigh. Instead of stepping back, she stepped inwards, smacking Viper's left arm off balance, sending her spinning slightly to the right. "King of Drakes," Fox said, slamming her right fist into Viper's nose, sending the assassin stumbling back with a satisfying crack.

"You... you hit me!"

"Of course," Fox replied, following up her attack with a few more carefully angled punches at Viper's exposed joints. She connected and the assassin howled in rage.

"You are going to--!"

"King of Drakes," the girl said again, repeating the maneuver from before. Crack! Viper was reeling, and a little blood spatter from the old woman's now mangled nose had landed on Fox's robes. The courtesan frowned deeply.

"This is a favorite qipao of mine, sifu," the girl said gravely, preparing for the next series of exchanges, dropping into a defensive posture. "I do not enjoy punching the elderly, but I will continue if you insist upon your bad manners."
    MID ROUND 4: 0 Joss, 9/13 Chi.

looks like it's time to defend.

Lake (Block against Strike): 7d10 6, 6, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3

so with my smexy +10 Block I'm going to go ahead and hit that nice 52 on the primary attack, use the 10s from my River for the Block on the Poison with a 30, and the 36 to block the Knockback marvel. Also, because I blocked the strike by 10 or more, it triggers my all-too-awesome Dragging Currents which inflicts a Ripple with a reply. Booyaka sha! Viper should have six ripples.

my turn!

Lake (Strike!): 7#1d10 7 4 8 6 6 5 6 oh man, look at them sixes. I am of course going to use Mirthful Fox Plays With Her Shadow and Flicking Tail Lashings both here to capitalize on the great bonuses (+10 for Laughs/Fears and +5 Strike) for a net total of 61.

Lake (Viper's Defense): 7#1d10 7 9 1 5 7 6 3 ouch. With Viper's Footwork of +10 that's only a 37, which means 2 more ripples and an immediate Rippling Roll. i'm assuming she's dropping some Chi Aura here. -2 Chi for Viper.

Rippling Roll (Viper): 8#1d10 5 5 4 1 1 9 4 7 25.

Chi Aura (Viper): 2#1d10 4 5 15 + 5 Toughness is a 20, which means a result of 5. A trivial chi condition is inflicted! Bloody nose.

END OF ROUND 4 - 0 Joss. Chi 8/13. 1 Ripple.

BEGINNING OF ROUND 5 - 0 Joss. Chi 8/13. 1 Ripple.

Lake (Initiative): 7#1d10 9 4 5 3 4 2 5 looks like a solid set there. Pair of 5s +10 speed equals 35 Initiative. oh yeah, time for some freaking PAYBACK. Dropping the 4s into the River and using the 19 for a Focus on Breath.

same set of techniques going down here.

Lake (Strike x2!): 7#1d10 8 3 5 8 6 3 10 28 + 25 for a net total of 53 on the strike. I'm also going to be a big jerk and use the 3s and the 4s from my River for two different Disrupt Marvels rated at 33 and 34 respectively, both of them targeting Strike.

Viper's Lake (Defense): 7#1d10 6 1 9 5 3 9 5 another Whole Lotta Nothin'. looks like Viper's best option is the 39 against the primary attack, and the GM informed me that she'd save her river 4s for something later, and opt instead to take the -5 Strike penalty.

so...

1 Ripple and a Rippling Roll for Viper. Assuming more Chi Aura for her. -2 Chi for Viper.

Rippling Roll (Viper): 9#1d10 4 8 10 9 2 5 10 10 5 oh snaaaap, 30.

Chi Aura (Viper): 2#1d10 3 7 result is 8, so another Trivial Chi Condition, which I'm going to say inflames her existing one into a Minor. -5 Action Penalties all around! Broken nose. It's bleeding errywhere.

you can concede Viper! You can always concede!

MIDDLE OF ROUND 5 - 0 Joss, 4/13 Chi. (7 at the end of the round) 1 Ripple. VIPER'S TURN (Viper -5 Strike Penalty [Disrupt Marvel 33], -5 Action Penalty Injury)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Thirsty Mountain Shen, Strong Arm Lau

Shen barreled into the bandits and sent them flying left and right, those that weren't felled where they stood by his axes. The men that struggled back to their feet and those that had avoided his strikes entirely looked like they still had a fair bit of fight left in them.
    Waiting on Rainfall to determine if Smoke Demon will go now or not. In any case, felt a little narration was appropriate.

Violet Fox

"Oh so sorry to bleed on your favorite clothes, dear child." Malignant Viper said through her bloody nose. "I think I've dallied here long enough. Obscuring Swamp Mist." A thick foul-smelling smoke billowed forth from Viper's mouth and from the sleeves of her shirt, forcing Fox to take a small step back in revulsion and completely enveloping the assassin. When the smoke cleared, it was obvious that Viper was gone, having used the distraction to make her exit.

As the smoke faded further, Viper's voice echoed over the courtyard, "I must admit, child, you have been well trained."
    And Malignant Viper retreats. Stymied ... for now?

After Combat Rippling Roll: 9d10 53 (10 5 7 5 7 9 2 4 4.) Best set out of that is a 27.

Chi Aura: 2d10 10 (4 6) so a 27 - 16 = 11. Less than her Chi Threshold, so a Trivial condition only. Probably a condition relating to her respect of the child she faced.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    With a small exhalation Fox watched the walls and after a moment was finally satisfied that the danger had indeed passed. She had triumphed in the face of this obstacle but she had been taught to be circumspect in all things, and upon reflecting on their fight Violet Fox had enjoyed testing herself against a worthy foe far more than simply going through the motions and practice forms.

The dark-eyed courtier half-smiled and walked back to the table where White Sparrow was finishing her tea, eyeing her pupil over the rim of the cup enigmatically.

"Forgive my impertinence," said Violet Fox, bowing. At this Sparrow raised an elegant eyebrow. "Impertinence?"
    The girl nodded. "I should not have stepped in on your behalf without receiving your consent first."
    White Sparrow set her cup down and laughed. It rang like a wind chime, light and airy. "Oh, hush now. I saw that look in your eyes as you were playing. You put on quite a show--I don't think anyone else has so thoroughly put Malignant Viper in her place before. Sit and finish your tea."

Fox pursed her lips and nodded, reclaiming the spot at the table across from her master. She placed her dainty hands around the cup. Still warm. She sipped at it and picked her next words carefully, like a woman tending a flower garden. "Excuse my directness, sifu, but it seems you know Malignant Viper... yet her gongfu is not comparable to your own."

Sparrow watched her student, tilting her head. "Observant."
    Fox continued, "Therefore, either she was holding back... or..."
    White Sparrow leaned forward almost imperceptibly, a shadow of a smile flickering across her lips, "Or?"
    "Or perhaps at one point her gongfu was very strong, and she was very dangerous."
    "Ah, so you've figured it out after only very briefly testing your will against hers. You are gifted of a keen intellect alongside your great beauty, child. Continue to hone that blade and nothing will be able to withstand you," said the older xia, refilling both of their teacups. "Allow an old woman her eccentricities and let her tell a story..."

---

Once there were two sisters. One Elder, one Younger, both inseparable. So great was their love for each other that they vowed never to be separated, to always honor each other as good sisters should. And so it was when they came of age they learned gongfu together.

The younger sister took to it like fish to water, excelling in all ways, becoming a model student.

"So skilled," their master would say to the younger. "You will never surpass her," he would say to the Elder.

And so the seed of jealousy was planted. As the days went on and the children became young women the Elder grew to despise the Younger. Everything they did together, the Elder was always one step behind, and this was water to the tree of envy that had taken root in the Elder's heart.
    So it was that as they matured into womanhood the roads of the two sisters would part and they would not see each other for a long while. The Younger spent her days perfecting her skills and advancing herself, cultivating and achieving excellence. The Elder, however, had vowed to exceed, and had turned to Forbidden Texts in the pursuit of power, and had committed many evil acts.

And so it was fated that the two sisters would cross paths again...

---

White Sparrow paused, taking another drink of tea. She set the cup down and seemed to be pondering something in the depths of the warm liquid. "And then?" Fox ventured.

"And then the two sisters tested their skills against each other. And in the end, though the Elder had mastered many baneful techniques and had become very strong, the Younger defeated her sibling... what she had assumed was permanently."

Fox's almond eyes widened at that. "You killed her?"
    White Sparrow smirked. "And what do you think, Violet Fox?"
    The young courtier's mouth opened and closed. She pursed her lips. "Of course not. You are not a murderer."
    "Mmm, true. But a contest in the Jianghu that ends in death is not considered a murder. Perhaps I thought it best to end the threat my estranged sister represented," responded Sparrow.
    "If that is true, sifu, then you are very unlucky. It seems your sister did not die as thoroughly as you had believed."

White Sparrow laughed that bell chime laugh again. "Witty. No, your conclusion is correct. I damaged her chakra points, rendering her all but unable to fight. It appears that despite my best efforts she has regained some of the former spirit she once possessed. Very curious, I would like to know how. But that is a fog of a mystery I suspect will dissipate soon."

The two women finished their tea and continued to speak of small things for a little while longer before Violet Fox politely excused herself to her chambers.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Silver Silk

Silver Silk slowed for a moment and watched the crowd flow past him.
    "This is not my day. I certainly hope they're not running away from bad sake."
    As the two Wulin warriors approached the tea house, Silver Silk pulled a man aside from the thinning crowd.
    "Why are you running? What manner of barbarism has taken place here?"
    The man was very old and had clearly seen better days. He did not respond, instead simply casting a frightened and confused look towards Silver Silk.
    "It figures I would try and question a deaf man. Today is definitely not my day." Silver Silk said, releasing the man back into the crowd.
    The man's eyes had said enough though, And the two fighters hurried along to see what the commotion was.

• Options
    Violet Fox

Violet Fox sat in quiet meditation for some time. Slowly, she realized the normal background noise of Seven Roads had changed. Panicked screams and yells could be heard from outside the compound; underneath the cries, sounds of battle could be made out. The sounds were loudest when the wind blew from the market district and, even more concerning, the same wind carried the scent of smoke and burnt wood.

Violet Fox stood up and made ready to see what was happening outside the walls of the Resplendent Phoenix enclave. As she slid aside the door to her chamber, Violet Fox found one of the lower rank acolytes standing in the door way. It looked like the younger girl had been about to knock on the screen.

"Uhm, Mistress White Sparrow asked me to deliver a message." She said and cleared her throat nervously, "There is, uh, a commotion in the market."

Silver Silk

"Hey maybe there's a fight! Let's hurry, don't want to miss anything." Bright Fist said as he pushed through the crowd.

One of the fleeing townspeople yelled at him as Fist pushed past, "Don't go that way you idiot! There are bandits attacking the merchant district and marketplace."

Bright Fist burst out laughing, "Even better!" and weaved through the crowd with greater energy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Strong Arm Lau stood firm as the bandit rushed him, turning his foot slightly and sliding back just enough. The blade sliced across his robe, and the distinct sound of metal scraping upon metal could be heard as the Liquid Metal Delegate's skin hardened against the blow. As the horde of bandits followed their leader and rushed him, he ducked about their attacks, moving back to back with the new warrior fighting with him.

"These bandits are persistent in their lawbreaking! I'm glad another citizen feels the need to bring them to justice!"

With that, he spun and unleashed the Chain of Wretched Crimes, his chain whirling about unpredictably as it wound its way around the bandits standing between the warriors and the bandit leader, unpredictable and deadly. "Your crimes will force you to face the unescapable judgement of my law, fool!"
    Defense vs. Smoke Demon: 7#1d10 7 9 4 6 4 5 7
    Haha well THAT blows. 27+10=37 and 24+10=34 Looks like I get nicked by the sword and dodge the Burn. If necessary I'll spend a point of Metal Chi to use Mountain Endures Storm for +10 toughness vs. this attack.

Defense vs. Bandits: 7#1d10 2 4 9 1 2 8 8
    28+10=38 covers the bandit's attack, I'll drop the pair of 2's into my River.

Initiative!: 7#1d10 7 7 3 6 1 7 1
    37+15=52 Initiative

Attack vs. Smoke Demon: 7#1d10 10 2 6 1 5 10 5
    I'll float the 2's from my River to give myself an attack of 42, and float the 10's into my river for later. Easier to block than dodge.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    "So I've noticed," Violet Fox said. She had changed clothes from earlier, discarding her dirtied dress in favor of a dark gray robe embroidered with stylized gold and violet lotuses. "Perhaps I shall go for a walk. Thank you, Ping."

With that the mousy girl gave a small bow and disappeared into the compound.

A few moments later...

Violet Fox ran along the rooftops of Seven Roads nimbly, lightly leaping between buildings. As she drew closer to the market the fires and commotion got increasingly louder and more alarming, and people closest to the brawl unfolding were in a mild panic. Leaping to the top of the Crescent Moon gave the girl a view of the battle and what she saw was chaos; fighters in the alley ways scrapping with bandits, bandits looting and harassing civilians. And in the center Thirsty Mountain Shen and a man swinging around a chain whom she didn't recognize.

"Your crimes will force you to face the inescapable judgment of my law, fools!" he shouted, the chain flying like a streamer trailing behind a kite, leveling his foes as they drew too close.

Interesting. She would have to learn more about the constable, it appeared. As she observed the brawl another item caught her eye: two men weaving towards the fight through the panic at the other end of the market. A man she did not know accompanied by a man she definitely did. Incensed, she made her decision. She would speak to Shen afterwards.

Moving over rooftop as lightly as a breeze, she settled on a squat building near Bright Fist and Silver Silk. "Bringing another here in a quest to cause more trouble, Bright Fist. Most dishonorable," she said, flicking open her fan.

what a twist! hope @Iron Weasel doesn't mind if Fox and Shen are at least mild acquaintances

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Fine by me! :)

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Round 5 Initiative:
    7d10 - 10, 6, 1, 6, 3, 9, 2.
    Not a whole lot going on here. I think I can use a single die for initiative, so I'll take the 10+15 for my kung fu for 25, and Float the two 6s into my River.
    Oh, and once the bandits act in Round 4, I'll respire 2 Chi and be back at 12/12.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Strong Arm Lau and Thirsty Mountain Shen

Smoke Demon dodged deftly to one side, putting his sword between Lau's whipping chain and the bandit's own body. He wasn't fast enough to doge the strike completely, but his sword protected him from the brunt of Lau's power. As it slid along the saber's blade the chain raised white-hot sparks that rained over Smoke Demon. As the sparks guttered out, thin trails of smoke and a smell of burnt leather drifted from the bandit.

He grinned, "Ah, such power. How much sweeter when you fall broken and burnt. To me, my Brothers! Smoke smothers the condemned!" At their leader's command, the bandits charged towards the two fighters from every open direction. Smoke Demon weaved through his men like a ghost and focused on Lau, striking when an opening presented itself.
    Smoke Demon's attack from Round 3 inflicted one ripple.

Round 4:

Smoke Demon: Lake: Dodge: 7d10 30 (4 1 2 8 4 6 5.) 24+10=34. One Ripple Inflicted, no rippling roll.
    Lake: Strike: 7d10 31: (7 5 3 4 1 6 5.) A 25+10=35. Targeting Strong Arm. Equally easy to block/dodge.

Bandits: Lake: Strike: 7d10 44 (8 9 5 6 1 8 7.) 28+10=38. This attack hits both Strong Arm and Thirsty Mountain. Equally easy to block/dodge.

Round 5: Smoke Demon:Lake: Initiative: 7d10 34 (4 5 8 1 6 3 7.) Whole lotta nuthin on that. Best is a 18+15 (plus another 10 from Elusive Desert Being)=43

Strong Arm Lau is up with the first action of Round 5.

Violet Fox and Silver Silk

"Lady Fox! What a pleasant surprise." Bright Fist grinned, no doubt thinking he looked handsome and alluring.

"I don't cause trouble, I am cursed that trouble follows wherever I go. Though today I'm aiming to settle some trouble. There's a good fight brewing in the markets, I hear. My new friend ... ah." He paused, embarrassed, and turned to Silver Silk, "I never did ask your name, how shameful. Imagine if I'd won our contest, I'd have had no idea who I could brag about having beaten! Or if you happened to grow into a grand master of the Wulin in time, I couldn't even claim to have held my own against you, back when." He bowed slightly to Silver Silk, "I am Bright Fist Jīn Yao and pleased to know you."

He gave Violet Fox a wink and a grin, "In any case, he and I were heading to the market to bust some heads. You're welcome to join us, if you'd like?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Thirsty Mountain Shen

The bandits rushed forward with weapons raised, their loud and united shout of “sǐ!” eliciting cries of fear from a number of nearby citizens.

Thirsty Mountain Shen smiled.

“You stupid dogs,” he laughed, “you cannot shout down a mountain! And those who rush the storm soon find themselves enveloped by it!” He surged towards the bandits. “Tempest Step!

The nearest bandit leaped into the air, his sword raised for a strike at Thirsty Mountain’s neck. At the last moment, the big man dropped and rolled under the bandit, popping back to his feet with surprising alacrity. He was immediately greeted by another screaming bandit, who thrust a spear at his shaggy face – but again Thirsty Mountain’s size belied his speed and he neatly side-stepped the attack. Still chuckling, he twisted sharply to avoid a vertical slash from a third bandit; the miss left the man stumbling and off-balance, to be sent sprawling into the dust as Thirsty Mountain swatted him on the bottom with the flat of his axe. A fourth villain rushed him with a mace, but Shen simply leaned back out of range and let the bandit be carried by his own momentum into a humiliating collision with another member of the gang.

Thirsty Mountain turned to face the gaggle of discomfited thugs he’d left in his wake, an enormous grin splitting his beard. “You pathetic dogs are an embarrassment to gongfu!” He guffawed. Then setting his feet, Thirsty Mountain Shen raised his axes. “Again,” he called to the bandits. “This time, apply yourselves!”
    Round 4
    Lake: Dodge: 7d10: 41 [7d10=4, 10, 9, 1, 3, 4, 10]
    Hmm, I think I can just squeeze by here.
    I’ll take the two 4’s for 24 and add my Footwork Bonus of +5. My Round 4 Initiative is higher than the Bandits, so I can leverage Tempest Step for another +5.
    I’d like to argue that an all-out charge from every direction pretty much screams “excessive Yang”, so I’d like to claim my Laughs at bonus for another +5. So 24 + 15 = 39. Phew!

I now Respire 2 Chi, bringing me back to 12/12.

That concludes Round 4 for me.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Silver Silk

"Please call me Silver Silk."
    Turning back towards the market, Silver Silk decided that enlightenment was more important than the current exchange.
    "I would be delighted to continue to exchange pleasantries, but I do believe some barbaric miscreants are stirring trouble up in a manner that is interrupting my dinner plans. Perhaps once I have politely asked the troublemakers to abandon their barbaric ways and become part of an enlightened society we can all share a meal?"

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Violet Fox fanned herself and smirked. "I heard you were holding up the Wood Gate, blocking commerce. One of my wagons carrying fine silk to send down the river was among them. You should apologize for my inconvenience."

Lake (Creating a Chi Condition): 7#1d10 6 9 6 8 2 5 3

i'd like to put a trivial chi condition on Bright Fist with a total of 41, something related to humility. nothing crazy, just getting a little chastisement on ;)

Then she turned her almond eyes on Silver Silk. "Very polite of you, Silver Silk. I would be delighted to take supper with you, I am rather tired from today's exertions. Please don't tarry long--my friend Shen and the constable have nearly wrapped things up down the way."

She paused and then added: "I will go speak to Jao and make some arrangements. Please extend my invitations to Shen and the magistrate."

With that she closed her fan, bowed very slightly to Silver Silk, and made her way to the Crescent Moon...

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    "You think you can break me?"
    Lau slammed a bandit backwards with his shoulder, leaving himself slightly open for Smoke Demon's strike, catching the blow with nothing but his bare hand and metal chi, wincing from the cut as he strode towards Smoke Demon, his chain pooling on the ground behind him.
    "You think your petty bandits mean anything to me?"
    Fire glinted off the dark steel of his chain as he heaves both arms, sending bandits flying as it whirls in an enormous arc, descending upon the bandits and Smoke Demon with bone-shattering force.
    "I am the law. You and your followers are nothing."
    God phone posting is a pain
    Defense vs. Smoke Demon: 7#1d10 3 8 2 1 4 3 1
    That's, uh, 23+10=33. God damn. One ripple, I guess?
    Attacking Smoke Demon: 7#1d10 7 1 10 1 8 1 6
    That's 31+10=41, and I'll float my 10s down to add an Area Attack to that, which should be 10, 10, 10=30+10=40

Also spending some Malevolent Joss on Smoke Demon, both points at once if I can.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Silver Silk and Violet Fox

Bright Fist looked down at his feet, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bother anybody. I was only there for a few hours. No harm in that, right?"

He brightened a bit, "But if I hadn't, I wouldn't have met a kindred spirit and the entire crowd seen my skills." He said, meeting Violet Fox's eyes with a reduced measure of his usual fire. "How am I supposed to grow into a legendary figure of the Wulin if I don't test my skills and improve them or see my name spread to the four winds?"

After Violet Fox left, Bright Fist elbowed Silver Silk and leaned close, "I think she likes me." He said with a wink. "But about that fight. I'm going. You coming?"

---

Violet Fox moved through Seven Roads avoiding most of the fighting that had spilled out of the market sector. A few bandits had tried to attack her, likely thinking her an easy opponent. They were quickly and fully shown the enormity of their mistake.

In due time the young courtesan arrived at the Crescent Moon Tea House. The eldest of the Three Brothers, Mountain Gāng, stood in the doorway with his spiked greatclub resting upright between his feet. He nodded once to Fox and turned his attention back to the street outside. The fighting had moved some distance away, but was apparently closer then Gāng liked.

Inside, most patrons had moved to safer establishments though there were still occupied tables scattered through the teahouse. Fox could see Honest Jao had not left his customary place behind the bar though another of the Brothers stood close. Hunting Owl leaned against the bar near her employer with an unconcerned smile, her left hand beating a muffled tattoo on the hilt of the sword at her side.

Honest Jao felt Violet Fox's gaze on him and looked up, one eyebrow tilted in an unspoken question.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Violet Fox, always mindful of proper etiquette, bowed moderately. A bow low enough to be respectful to one of lower class stature but not so low as to look condescending. "Jao, it is good to see you. Your business seems to be flourishing today in the face of the... commotion in the market."

"Flourishing might be an exaggeration," he replied, running his towel over the burnished wood of the bar surface. "What brings you around?"

Fox reached into the inner folds of her robes and pulled a small pouch that jingled with the obvious weight of money. "I'd like to reserve a table for a meal here very soon. There will be five of us," she said, pausing.

Jao nodded. "And?"

"And I would like your finest food and drink tonight."

"Ah, you want something from the special reserve. I'll see what Chang can whip up with what we have, then."

• Options
    Thirsty Mountain Shen felt Strong Arm Lau's chain approaching more than he saw it. The weapon flashed out like an angry snake, kicking a huge cloud of dust up off the street. Briefly unable to see, Shen nevertheless heard the chain hissing through the air and threw himself into an awkward backflip that saw him land badly before rolling to his feet. Shaking dust from his beard, Thirsty Mountain turned and shouted at the teahouse door: "You see, Jao? I told you he'd be insulted if I interfered!" Then, to Lau: "Mind your weapon, you clumsy dog! I'm on your side!"

Currently Playing: