As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] The Ballot Box isn't even half empty.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    While I'm banging the lefty drum, I saw this status posted on Facebook:
    Mandela will die soon. Today, tomorrow, this week, next week. It wont be long. Remember this, he out-lived Thatcher. When Cameron latches on the Mandela bandwagon this week remember that in 1985 he was a top member of the Federation of Conservative Students, who produced the "hang Mandela" posters. In 1989 Cameron worked in the Tory Policy Unit at Central Office and went on a anti-sanctions fact finding mission to South Africa with pro-apartheid Lobby Firm that was sponsored by Botha. Remember this when he tells the world he was inspired by Madiba.

When I woke up this morning, if you told me I would have an even lower opinion of David Cameron by lunch time, I would have told you it wasn't possible.

I would have been wrong.

I too was surprised. It just goes to show, I suppose.

• Options
    Although it does raise the rather nerve-wracking question of where he's going to go from here. Maybe it'll come out in Iain Banks' will that The Wasp Factory was actually a biography of Cameron?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, I obviously knew my moral compass was pointing in different directions to Daves but even I didn't have a low enough opinion of him to assume he was pro-apartheid. I'm absolutely appalled this was something the Tory party was doing in the 80's. They've managed to bury it really well because I had no idea.

That is some straight up fascist bullshit and I hope at least someone in the media manages to shine the worlds brightest spotlight on it.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It wasn't so much that they were pro-apartheid, though you wouldn't have to search hard to find evidence of 80's Tories being just as racist as many middle aged conservatives of the era. Thatcher resisted sanctions but publically called for PK Botha to end Apartheid, but she also routinely catergorised the ANC as a terrorist organisation.

If questioned about it Cameron would, I'm sure, simply say he had nothing to do with the t-shirts and anyway it was a long time ago and he was young and foolish.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    He never inhaled the racism. That's very important to make clear.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Well I'm sure they weren't so much pro-Apartheid as much as they were anti-losing-money-by-having-sanctions-on-South-Africa-who-the-fuck-cares-about-human-rights.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It's a shame there's wasn't facebook around in those times, I'm pretty sure that whilst they wouldn't describe themselves as pro-apartheid, I don't expect it was voiced as purely a business decision behind closed doors.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    Well I'm sure they weren't so much pro-Apartheid as much as they were anti-losing-money-by-having-sanctions-on-South-Africa-who-the-fuck-cares-about-human-rights.

Same difference.

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    So, was Alan Moore wrong? Are you UK folks moving towards Communism now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-23045072

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    saint2e wrote: »

I'm unsure what you're trying to say, equal pay for women in communism?

• Options

Same pay for drastically different jobs.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Right, in the queue for this citizenship ceremony. Next stop, affirming, pledging and a song. Or it has all been a horrible practical joke and I'm to be deported.

In any event, see you on the other side

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

It's same pay for same scale jobs. Basically, if a guy is a teaching assistant he will be hired on a different scale than his female colleagues because the council have different policies regarding the pay and benefits of men and women. Which is illegal.

This has happened in lots of UK councils recently. It basically says that if you hire people in pay-band B then everyone should have the same pay and benefits regardless of their gender. Which has not been the case for a lot of people employed by Councils.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Where are you getting that from? It says that terms under which someone is employed differ between men and women, with men getting favourable conditions that women don't.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »

It's same pay for same scale jobs. Basically, if a guy is a teaching assistant he will be hired on a different scale than his female colleagues because the council have different policies regarding the pay and benefits of men and women. Which is illegal.

This has happened in lots of UK councils recently. It basically says that if you hire people in pay-band B then everyone should have the same pay and benefits regardless of their gender. Which has not been the case for a lot of people employed by Councils.

The article is confusing regarding the job divide (manual and teaching) and the male/female divide.

Either way, it looks like it's more about guidelines on bonus payments and supplements rather than just the amount that they get paid, so instead of being out of luck because of arbitrary division it'll be to each according to their need oh shit it is communism aaah

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    This is probably the relevant section
    35. In the fourth place, it is not the function of the “same employment” test to
    establish comparability between the jobs done. That comparability is established
    by the “like work”, “work rated as equivalent” and “work of equal value” tests.
    Furthermore, the effect of the deemed equality clause is to modify the relevant
    term of the woman’s contract so as not to be less favourable than a term of a
    similar kind in the contract under which the man is employed or to include a
    beneficial term in her contract if she has none (section 1(2)(a), (b) or (c) as the
    case may be). That modification is clearly capable of taking account of differences
    in the working hours or holiday entitlement in calculating what would be equally
    favourable treatment for them both. Moreover, the equality clause does not operate
    if a difference in treatment is genuinely due to a material factor other than sex
    (section 1(3)). The “same employment” test should not be used as a proxy for
    those tests or as a way of avoiding the often difficult and complex issues which
    they raise (tempting though this may be for large employers faced with multiple
    claims such as these). Its function is to establish the terms and conditions with
    which the comparison is to be made. The object is simply to weed out those cases
    in which geography plays a significant part in determining what those terms and
    conditions are.

• Options
    BobCesca wrote: »

The article is confusing regarding the job divide (manual and teaching) and the male/female divide.

Either way, it looks like it's more about guidelines on bonus payments and supplements rather than just the amount that they get paid, so instead of being out of luck because of arbitrary division it'll be to each according to their need oh shit it is communism aaah

Upon re-reading it a couple times it's not so much "equal pay" as "equal job conditions" from one type of job (ie- education assistant, nurse) vs. another (garbage collector, groundsmen). The only reason it's a male/female divide thing is because most of the education assistant/nurse roles are made up of women, and most of the manual labour roles are made up of men.

I think the genders of the people with jobs may be being used to give it an extra push, as women's rights are in high regard right now, but it seems a bit silly to compare the two types of jobs.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    To be fair all of the listed occupations do involve workers dealing with someone else's (literal and/or figurative) shit for a living, so why not have such a comparison to make sure the parameters are treated equally?

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Ok, it is done. I am a citizen!

Interesting experience, 56 of us did it today. 39 by oath, 17 by affirmation. Most of the affirmers were Anglos from the Antipodies or the US but there were some Pakistanis and Brazilians who affirmed too. Maybe 12% were from SA (whites and coloured) and the US was about the same

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

Interesting experience, 56 of us did it today. 39 by oath, 17 by affirmation. Most of the affirmers were Anglos from the Antipodies or the US but there were some Pakistanis and Brazilians who affirmed too. Maybe 12% were from SA (whites and coloured) and the US was about the same

What's the difference between affirmation and oath?

And does that mean the majority of the new citizens were 'white'?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    poshniallo wrote: »

What's the difference between affirmation and oath?

And does that mean the majority of the new citizens were 'white'?

Ok, before I sleep

1. An Oath is to a higher power, the Almighty God, an affirmation is a secular version of that. I've been in the situation of oath giving a bit now given what I do and I absolutely refuse to consider an oath. It is kind of a deal breaker to me to be honest.

2. Nope. Most of the new citizens were not "white" by classic definitions. I'd say the median was sub continent - Indian or Pakistani. Lots more Americans than I would have thought too. More Latinos too. One Kazakhstani who looked East Asian until she spoke, then she sounded as Russian as one could be.

Here are the options. I have to say, I would have dearly loved to have affirmed in Welsh/Cymraeg if it were possible in London:

Chose on or the other

Oath of allegiance

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Affirmation of allegiance

I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Then all must do:

Pledge

I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

Ceremonies in Wales
    If you are attending a ceremony in Wales you may, if you wish, make the oath or affirmation, and the pledge, in Welsh. The Welsh version of the oath, affirmation and pledge are below.

Llw teyrngarwch

Yr wyf i, (enw), yn tyngu i Dduw Hollalluog y byddaf i, ar ôl dod yn ddinesydd Prydeinig, yn ffyddlon ac yn wir deyrngar i'w Mawrhydi y Frenhines Elisabeth yr Ail, ei Hetifeddion a'i Holynwyr, yn unol âr gyfraith.

Cadarnhau teyrngarwch

Yr wyf i, (enw), yn datgan ac yn cadarnhau yn ddifrifol, yn ddiffuant ac yn gywir y byddaf i, ar ôl dod yn ddinesydd Prydeinig, yn ffyddlon ac yn wir deyrngar i'w Mawrhydi y Frenhines Elisabeth yr Ail, ei Hetifeddion a'i Holynwyr, yn Unol âr gyfraith.

Adduned

Rhoddaf fy nheyrngarwch i'r Deyrnas Unedig ac fe barchaf ei hawliau a'i rhyddidau. Arddelaf ei gwerthoedd democrataidd. Glynaf yn ffyddlon wrth ei chyfreithiau a chyflawnaf fy nyletswyddau a'm rhwymedigaethau fel dinesydd Prydeinig.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    To be fair all of the listed occupations do involve workers dealing with someone else's (literal and/or figurative) shit for a living, so why not have such a comparison to make sure the parameters are treated equally?

So you're saying that, for example, office workers should have hazard pay so that they're equal to their factory-working, manual-labour counterparts?

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options

So you're saying that, for example, office workers should have hazard pay so that they're equal to their factory-working, manual-labour counterparts?

If they encounter conditions that would entitle them to it, then yes, of course.

One of the tests applied to the case is if, hypothetically, one of the people employed on green book terms would remain on those terms if they carried out their job in an environment where the rest of the staff are on blue book terms (e.g. a parks maintenance person becoming a school groundskeeper, for example). The courts decided that they would, regardless of what they were actually paid, so the distinction is a gender based one and therefore unlawful.

• Options
    Is it just me or does even the title of this BBC news article reflect the eye rolling that nearly everyone reading it will feel?

"It's alright everyone, our Tory overlords have revised away the recession! Apparently we're not all unemployed and we haven't had all our benefits stripped away!

Wait..."

• Options
    japan wrote: »

If they encounter conditions that would entitle them to it, then yes, of course.

One of the tests applied to the case is if, hypothetically, one of the people employed on green book terms would remain on those terms if they carried out their job in an environment where the rest of the staff are on blue book terms (e.g. a parks maintenance person becoming a school groundskeeper, for example). The courts decided that they would, regardless of what they were actually paid, so the distinction is a gender based one and therefore unlawful.

So the comparisons I see in the article, it's assuming/estimating that if a garbage collector suddenly became a child care worker, the garbage collector would remain on the original terms their garbage collector terms and conditions. Or is it the assumption that if a child care worker suddenly decided to be a garbage collector, they wouldn't receive the same terms/conditions because they started out as a child care worker?

Either way, what foolish things to assume... Unless there were documented instances of this that I'm just not seeing, this seems really silly.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Equal Pay is actually pretty complicated and not as intuitive as one would hope. Certainly my eyes glaze over when it comes up.

I'll have a look to see if there is a good explainer for the case when I get back to work

• Options
    Equal Pay is actually pretty complicated and not as intuitive as one would hope. Certainly my eyes glaze over when it comes up.

I'll have a look to see if there is a good explainer for the case when I get back to work

Another, better written, article I've read indicates that it was a bonus that the manual labour workers were getting that the other workers were not getting. I'd be interested to find out the reason for the bonus, if it was based on anything, or just a generic "here you go"-type bonus.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Commons debatse Legal Aid changes. Justice Minister doesn't bother to turn up.

• Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    Why would he? The Legal Aid changes have nothing to do with justice.

• Options
    Hang 'em and flog 'em I say!

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

Another, better written, article I've read indicates that it was a bonus that the manual labour workers were getting that the other workers were not getting. I'd be interested to find out the reason for the bonus, if it was based on anything, or just a generic "here you go"-type bonus.

I'll be happy so long as people are getting identical pay and rights doing the same jobs, regardless of gender, seems stupid if this wasn't the case, you know; in this day and age.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    Bonuses are instituted for lots of different reasons that may no longer make sense years later. If they are poorly or not written, poorly defined, or in place for a long time they may become permanent and it may not be clear what the original reasons or purpose were.

• Options
    Euphoriac wrote: »

I'll be happy so long as people are getting identical pay and rights doing the same jobs, regardless of gender, seems stupid if this wasn't the case, you know; in this day and age.

Exactly. Which is why this instance doesn't seem right to me. They're essentially comparing apples to bananas to determine "equal pay".

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Perfect timing for US spying on EU revelations, what with the all important transatlantic free trade agreement on the table. We couldn't have one economic good news story. Thanks America.

• Options
    wilting wrote: »
    Perfect timing for US spying on EU revelations, what with the all important transatlantic free trade agreement on the table. We couldn't have one economic good news story. Thanks America Obama.

FTFY

• Options
    Just as planned.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Perfect timing for US spying on EU revelations, what with the all important transatlantic free trade agreement on the table. We couldn't have one economic good news story. Thanks America.

I think I've said this before, but at that sort of level, where people are mucking about with the levers of the economy, I can't see this having much effect. If I had assumed the US was spying on us as a matter of course, I'm hopeful that the government assumed it also. I'd also like to think that every government factors in every other government spying on them, again, as a matter of course.

It's a nice bit of media coverage, I grant you, but I can't see it surprising, well, anyone really. The only impact I can see it having is in areas where public opinion is important, and honestly, I am assuming that byzantine free-trade agreements are more the sort of thing done with a handshake in a back alley smoke-filled club, in any case.

Now, I'm not saying "Why does it matter?", but "Why does it matter more now?"

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I don't know, Brussels, and Berlin, seem pretty incensed, what with the references made to the cold war. Its definitely going to negatively impact the data protection negotiations, which will feed into everything else. Not to mention a fear of an unfair (that's the world that's being thrown around) advantage hardening positions generally. Its easy to be cynical about everybody spying on everybody else when you have all the spies.

wilting on
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23122628

So the independant pay commission says backbenchers need a 10k payrise, Cameron says "no" and is swiftly told he can't say no.

What on earth is the ISPA smoking? If the MPs get a massive raise when everyone else is getting their pay cut or frozen there will be fucking riots.

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23122628

So the independant pay commission says backbenchers need a 10k payrise, Cameron says "no" and is swiftly told he can't say no.

What on earth is the ISPA smoking? If the MPs get a massive raise when everyone else is getting their pay cut or frozen there will be fucking riots.

Yes. Not figuratively, but actual enraged mobs.

Christ, if an idea is so bad that even David "The Privilege" Cameron isn't too out of touch to see it's dumb, then... I... well... OK similes fail me. That's the lowest possible bar there is for a politically inane idea.

This discussion has been closed.