As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2 Dark 2 Souls] Sequel imminent... Tears imminent...

19596979899101»

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Richard wrote: »
    I always put my first 10 soul levels into Entitlement.

So I did a bit of impulse shopping last night and ended up with a PS3. How does Demon's Souls compare to Dark Souls? Does it feel dated or is it more of the same (even better?)

The biggest difference between the two games is that Demon's is stage-based with a main hub vs. Dark's open world. The second difference is that you'll wonder why they called Dark Souls Dark Souls when Demon's Souls is so god damn dark! The aesthetic really drew me in back when I saw the original trailer. Then there is world/character tendency which makes for some REALLY obscure and missable things, but that's part of the fun. Also, undead (hollow) form cuts your max HP in half. You get a ring very early that increases the max so it's 75% instead of 50,

I just played through it again with a new character and I love the hell out of it. There are some aspects I like over Dark and vice versa. Bottom line: go forth and bring more souls, slayer of demons.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    We're at page 101. Should someone make a new thread?

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    We're at page 101. Should someone make a new thread?

Not until the thread goes hollow.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    Thread needs to use the darksign right now.
    I will miss reading this thread until the pc release hits :/

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    We're at a little under three weeks for Dark Souls 2 now.
    So excited.

I am so sad that having an APO address currently, it'll take an extra week to week-point-five to get here. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Quite a few of the heavy armours beat Havel's out in physical defence when maxed out (Giants, Black Iron, Smough etc) but none match the amount of Poise it provides. There's not much point in increasing poise past 76 though, which is the point where you can shrug off a 1 handed Ultra Greatsword/axe attack.

Do you not want to use the Ring of Favour and Protection? It provides better bonuses than any other ring save maybe Havel's. I usually rock it and the Wolf Ring when I'm feeling fashionable.

i'm doing that now, i only just picked up the ring again. i lost it on the first run because i couldn't read. :|

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Like in both current Souls games not going human is something that people can do to avoid PVP but still engage with the unique, innovative community aspect of the game.

This allows people who like being invaded and people who don't to both be happy.

If they are seriously changing this so there is no way to be totally safe from PVP that genuinely sucks and basically flips off the people who enjoyed the first two games PVP-free.

It's almost like FromSoft decided that they want always being in danger of invasions to be a key part of the social experience. Anybody who wants to can play offline any time they want. Yes you lose out on the non-dangerous social parts of the game if you do. But in a way that's part of the beauty. If you want to be part of the social experience of Dark Souls 2, then you go all in. You get messages and can summon help, and you risk being invaded.

I mean, you also have the option to stay undead in DaS2 and join the covenant that's entire purpose is to make you safer when you do get invaded, and then you'll be low on the list to be invaded and also have help. And on top of that they seem to be doing real work to try to combat twinking and what not.

The long and short of it is FromSoft clearly wants the social aspects of this game to be both helpful and scary. At any point, someone can go offline to give up both sides of that. If you choose to be online, it's not a smack in your face that now you don't get to have the helpful aspects but avoid the scary ones. It's a design choice, and frankly, I think the right one. It fits the Souls games perfectly.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Now on the other hand, it would be a good idea for the invader to see the invade-y at all times.

I'd posit the reverse would make more sense. The person being invaded is more at home in his world than the invader.

Not like noob greifers need a single additional advantage, either. I'd be perfectly fine in a situation where invaders had like a 20% win rate overall.

The whole point of the invasion mechanic is that it's a predator/prey relationship.
    Predators know where there prey is - not the other way around.

This is treading back into silly goose territory, though. You don't like being invaded and that's fine - play offline. The end. I do like being invaded - it spices up the game a ton. And as it turns out, From sees it that way too. *shrug*

It's a shitty thing to say "don't like it, then play offline" because forcing people to engage in PVP so they can engage in the really cool community/discovery stuff with the messages and bloodstains and ghosts is shitty.

No.
    It's a shitty thing to say, "I don't like such and such part of the game so I'm not going to participate, but I should still get all the cool stuff that comes along with participation!" That's called entitlement. You can feel like you are entitled to play the game the way you want to play it - but it is important to understand that having feelings of entitlement and being entitled are entirely different things. This is the message Fromsoft is sending by making PvP mandatory. You are not entitled to the benefits of multiplayer interaction without the elements that you mistakenly think of as detriments.

LockedOnTarget is not trying to limit your player experience in any way or tell you how to play the game.

You are trying to limit his and are trying to tell him how to play the game.

I hope you can see the difference, but given the tone of your post, I'm not sure at all that's the case. That said, it's quite clear which view is more troublesome.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    You've touched the thread of death itself. Bring more posts, slayer of demons. (That's the new thread link, in case anyone didn't get the joke.)

Fawst on
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    FAPing all the time gets boring after a while.

I've been having a lot of fun on the characters I have not FAPed with. The combinations are more than the sum of the parts.

I would definitely use it on a really heavy armor character though. Especially one rocking heavy weapons or a greatshield, like my Rory strength build. Yes that Rory.

Ooh, tell me more! Is this the Last Centurion Rory? I've got one character I set up to look as much like a Roman Centurion as possible (bits and pieces of armor, eastern has some good ones, thank god for eagle shield!) and was wondering if you'd found good choices.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion