The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Finale, Part 1

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Finale, Part 1

The Artists now face the Creators to prove their time at home was well spent.
View all of the Artists' collections.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• RaphDSRaphDS Registered User regular
    "If you died... we would have brought Lexxy back." HAHA! Clever, Mike.:))

And totally loved Abby's continuing discussion of "All the C and all the D." :))

Shame it's on a cliffhanger! Can't wait until Tuesday.

there'saforum?Dark Raven XPuddingpie
  • RhylosRhylos Registered User new member
    I'm legitimately worried about Katie. Nearly halfway through and she literally has NOTHING

there'saforum?zerzhulPuddingpie
  • eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    i really wanted to wait and not spoil it for myself so i could watch this brand new at the live show in Bellevue.

this has not been a good demonstration of willpower.

• CDMCDM Registered User new member
    Argh this suspense is worse than knowing the Red Wedding was coming. Tuesday is too far away!

there'saforum?HipsterSlenderemarecksaykayPuddingpie
  • ObiRobKenobiObiRobKenobi Registered User regular
    OMG! Katie!!!!

I really hope she knows what she's doing. I've been pulling for her since Day 1. This is some seriously intense shit.

Here's to hoping she rises like a phoenix from the ashes in Part 2!

there'saforum?zerzhulduddlesfullofgrace
  • brocadebrocade Registered User regular
    wait people actually read the comments? so glad I didn't post my credit card information. that could've been deadly

• Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be at work.. :(

• there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    I'm loving the finals so far. The best part was when Mike said if Maki died, they'd just bring Lexxy back in :D

Of the submitted comics, I kind of want to read Katie's the most. Although all three look pretty interesting.

duddles
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    GOD-DAMNIT Stripsearch Home edition! - I can't do the 4 hour challenge until I've done the 8 week challenge.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • darklaodarklao Registered User regular
    omfg that flesh-rending naked hair woman was so creepy and perfect. Abby ftw.

Puddingpie
  • GojiraXGojiraX Registered User regular
    Not much to say until there's a winner, so yeah can't wait. I honestly don't know who I want to win anymore, I think I'd just rather see who won and say I KNEW THIS PERSON OR THING WOULD TAKE VICTORY

I went and read the comics and they're all great, but why does Maki have so many strips? I thought they were only allowed to do five.

edited June 2013
    No, you're wrong. When Mike was talking about people explaining jokes, that was funny because it's true to life, he's explaining something that you see all the time on internet forums, and how it is annoying, and it's funny because people will still do it anyway.

ahdok on
    MekkaBAiouaTofystedethHanClinto
    Rhylos wrote: »
    I'm legitimately worried about Katie. Nearly halfway through and she literally has NOTHING

2h55m out of 4h is not really approaching halfway, and she's done all her planning already. When I get around to doing this, I think I'd try and get my layouts planned in about 40 minutes, but if it took an hour, that'd be costing me polish, not concept.

So, I'm not too worried. :D

• xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Man this is hard. From the ideas presented I was gravitating towards that of Katie the most while still really liking the others, but actually reading all the comics makes it really hard to choose or make an educated guess of who would win. All of them have their pros and cons.

Purely looking at personal preference I'd have to say Katie's done the most for me. It looks like something I'd want to read as a webcomic. That being said an update of once a week might be a bit too little. So if she wins I hope she can streamline it, or gets a good editor so she can get to 2 or 3 times a week. But it lends itself to longer storylines, to just gag comics, to a certain wonder why people aren't coming for them, who is dropping the supplies etc. And you could basically keep it going, you could either "Simpson" it and never have them age. Or just be coy about how much time has passed, so while a year might have passed "in the real world" it might have been just a month for them. So it has a good basis to keep this going for a while. My only concern would be that the whole survival gag might run a bit stale.

Abby's comic I would genuinely buy as a book; although I also like how unconventional she wanted to be and just release an arc as to not leave people hanging. Then again this is also why I think it would work better as a book or a number of paper comics (which you can also make available online). That way you have total control over releasing a storyline in one go. It looks really interesting and hilarious, just wondering how it would work as a webcomic and if she wouldn't take on too much work just to finish a single arc. Plus what when the story is done? Will it just be done and gone, will she tack on more? It seemed like it was thought out from beginning to end, instead of having something more fluid where at some point you could decide to work towards an ending. Now with the amount of pages she has she can probably last a year maybe even 2 or 3. But what after that? That is again why I see it more as a graphic novel or just comic books you release at certain points.

Maki's strip looked cool but I am not sure if "close to life, Friends, mixed with science" will keep my interest. Not because it was bad, not at all. It's just that science interests me, but I usually get burned out on the whole will they won't they and added drama of relationship comics. But that is purely personal. That being said I do think it would be the best to keep a regular x times a week schedule on. And just like Katie's strip this is one of those things where you can do a longer storyline or just a string of gag comics. Although I do agree with him using said medium to bring science to the masses. I personally was really invested in the first page with the coin, after that I was unsure. It could either work or I would be burned out on it after some time, I would actually like to see more of (what I believe is) Riti and her father. But I like seeing Maki go out of his comfort zone.

So if it were up to me (and I know it is not) Katie would win, Abby would release her comic as a graphic novel or comics with an arc, and Maki would still go ahead with his comic on his own. But yeah bit long but these were my ideas after the episode and checking out the art they have brought along.

Although I hope Katie gets it together before the time is up, it would be a shame if she brain farts at the final and we all, herself included, miss out because of that.
    And I want top men on a gif of Abby's "oh really" face when Mike said they have had the same idea, top men I say!

xdeathknightx on
    emarecksaykayduddlesPuddingpie
  • Korbei83Korbei83 Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    Rhylos wrote: »

2h55m out of 4h is not really approaching halfway, and she's done all her planning already. When I get around to doing this, I think I'd try and get my layouts planned in about 40 minutes, but if it took an hour, that'd be costing me polish, not concept.

So, I'm not too worried. :D

2h23 minutes. That's a significant handicap, I would say. Good luck Katie!

• KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Everyone's art in the beginning was amazing. All three of these artists are incredibly talented and I cannot wait to see the finale, but at this point I really have no idea who is going to win!

Seeing Abby's work was particularly interesting to me- a story driven comic would be really cool in her style! I think her art works so well for comics, I really want to see more.

emarecksaykayPuddingpie
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I was so not going to watch today. I was going to watch both parts of the finale together. But then I was like, hey, it's Friday, and then I watched.

I haven't looked at the spoilers yet to really see everything, but I have to say I really love Katie's strip idea. I'm still rooting for Abby to pull out the win, but I will be reading Katie's Camp Weedonwantcha if she indeed turns it into a weekly strip. It's dark (of course it is, it's Katie), it's hilarious, and I love the characters already from just the little I saw.

I find the concept of Maki's strip not that interesting. It seems to me like there's a lot of those sorts of strips out there (again, haven't really looked at the spoilers so maybe it's not how I think). I'll probably still read it though, because I'm a fan of Maki. Of course I'm going to keep reading Sci-ence, forever.

Abby's comic seems interesting enough, but I don't think her presentation was that great. I don't really understand the bits I saw in today's episode. I'm looking forward to her doing a proper introduction of the characters and setting. I like how she wants to do things scene-by-scene. She's clearly very fast, so I believe she can do it.

I do wonder if her age has something to do with it, though. It seems to me that there's a new generation of cartoonists who are coming up at a time when webcomics aren't such a novel idea. When Mike and Jerry were starting out, and so many of the other greats in the industry, webcomics were new, and while the content was often different, the format remained pretty much like you'd see in a newspaper, or alternatively a comic book. I look and see stuff like what Nick is up to, and now hearing about Abby's plan, these younger cartoonists are really experimenting with format and such. We live in interesting times, as webcomic readers.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • ObiRobKenobiObiRobKenobi Registered User regular
    Guys! Don't worry about Katie! I just figured it out! Katie switching to paper is like Luke turning off his targeting computer!

Use the Force, Katie!

emarecksaykaydarklaoMalvicuszerzhulstoleeGamercowblaghLavidiusSpman2099duddlesTeeSeaJayCantabrianmiaAusafullofgraceSHertzbergYllanesBoardGameBodhisattvaUNHchaboDark Raven XHanClinto
    edited June 2013
    As for Katie's medium switch, I was just thinking to myself how interesting it was that the final three were all using different tools. Maki a tablet, Abby pen-and-paper, Katie with the Cintiq. Then she went ahead and switched up formats all of a sudden. What a twist! Can you imagine if Maki suddenly decided to use pen-and-paper too?

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
  • MrBenMrBen Registered User regular
    I would give up my subscription to PvP for Katie's comic. Superb idea, fantastic execution. The other's are really good- but not quite so much as Katie.

The problem with this type of programming formula (as with the apprentice) is that the FIRST episode should be what is your idea, etc. All those silly tasks don't really make much sense if you haven't got a great idea to start off with.

duddles
  • monkmunkmonkmunk Registered User regular
    I like Maki's strip a lot, but i *need* to see more of Katie and Abby's stories. I almost don't care who wins as long as they both swear on their life to continue producing content.

No wait i take that back, if winning will encourage Katie to update more than once a week, i want her to win.

edited June 2013
    Obviously the solution to the whole not-enough-content thing, is for everyone watching Strip Search to do whatever they can to make sure these three finalists are all crazy super successful no matter what, so they can all quit their day jobs and work on Sufficiently Remarkable, The Last Halloween, and Camp Weedonwantcha full time (plus their existing comics which are also all quite good).

So how about it guys and gals? Let's do this.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    BoardGameBodhisattva
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    omg, these ALL look amazing. Katie's use of colour is lovely. I love Abby's detailing and composition and the shading effects - those trees, that fantastic monster.

emarecksaykay
  • MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    No, you're wrong. When Mike was talking about people explaining jokes, that was funny because it's true to life, he's explaining something that you see all the time on internet forums, and how it is annoying, and it's funny because people will still do it anyway.

What you did, there... we sees it!

/winning you all the C and all the D the internet has to offer

//spoiler alert to those who fear for Katie: she's badass. Don't worry about it.

Having read through all the strips now from the spoilers page, Maki's comic is growing on me, but I still feel like I already read enough comics like it. The science facts that pop up are an interesting twist, but I don't know if it's enough. Just on concept alone, I think his is weakest, though humor may make it well worth reading in the end.

Abby's, having now been able to read it properly, makes more sense to me. I love the art, and I got more of the humor than I did from the video, but I still want to see more before I can really judge the story. I think her presentation could have been better as I said before. The strip itself, though, and Abby's brand of humor, I'm sure will be excellent. I do hope she keeps writing her existing comic, though, as I'd hate to lose it. Clearly she needs to be wildly successful and do both.

Katie definitely has the strongest presentation, and as I said I love the characters already. I want to spend more time in that world. On the basis of the work they spent two months on, I'd give the prize to Katie right now. It's interesting though that they're doing this final four-hour challenge, though. I think on that basis, it could be anyone's to win.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
  • GorstaggGorstagg Registered User new member
    To all the artists participating in the finale. You all F'n Rock! Nothing but love to you all. You've graced us all with your nuggets of wisdom and art, and wonderful words. Thanks for putting yourselves out there.

BoardGameBodhisattva
  • VyktalVyktal Registered User new member
    All three comics were beautiful and in light of the series, I'm now a firm follower of the websites of all 3 of these guys!

Yeah unfortunately I felt that Maki's comic felt too disjointed. Had some funny jokes and I loved the inclusion of the science/philosophy, and I also loved the intro page... but everything after that involving the big dude or the red head was completely uninspiring. I think that a strip focusing on Riti and her experiences/strange thoughts as an adult and child would be wonderful (almost like the film 'Amelie' but with a Maki-twist).

Katie's is brilliant and Abby's is beautiful too, so I'm not sure which is my favourite. Regarding Abby's, I would have definitely preferred something of an intro rather than a glance in the middle of the story as it made the characters, world and story a bit confusing.

Can't wait to see the result!

• Obsolete ModelObsolete Model Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Camp Weedonwantcha looks amazing. I really hope I will have it and Skadi to read every week!

I also hope that Abby adds Last Halloween to her site to run along with Junior Scientist Power Hour if she doesn't win. I really like her work too.

Obsolete Model on
  • VyktalVyktal Registered User new member
    Abby's comic I would genuinely buy as a book; although I also like how unconventional she wanted to be and just release an arc as to not leave people hanging... That is again why I see it more as a graphic novel or just comic books you release at certain points.

Completely agree with this. Even if Abby loses, I hope she goes on to create something like a graphic novel of this story as it's something which would appeal to a lot of people and could set her up for an extremely successful career.

• Myles2007Myles2007 Registered User new member
    Noooo I want more strip search now. Why does this great show keep pulling me in?

• KadiKadi Registered User regular
    All three comics look great - I can't wait to read all of them. Abby's most interests me, but Katie's sounds pretty amazing, too. I love feral children stories. Maki's isn't the type of strip I usually read, but I'll still give it a shot - I hope in the actual comic there's more focus on Riti, because I found her strips the most interesting. The ghost one made me laugh out loud.

And I can't believe that some people are snotty about them participating in the show! You guys are all great (including the other 9 of you) and I'm so glad you went for it. I've loved both seeing your interactions and comics in the show, but I've also loved reading your actual, normal comics. Looking forward to whatever each of you do next!

BoardGameBodhisattva
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    mike wrote:
    Don't ya hate it when they dissect the jokes?
    ahahahahaha

some of you fuckers are on notice.

walrus.png
    zerzhuldeathbearsT-boltSquonchDark Raven XPuddingpie
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Watched this while having a late lunch... love it.
    Abby forgetting her "I want all the D" bit was great.
    Don't love the 7:30PM PDT airing time for the finale, since I live in Munich, Germany, but oh well...
    Now to go and get a good look at the submitted drawings.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    Both Abby and Katie's story ideas really capture my interest. I've moved past the "daily life of" style of comic because I've read those so many times over the years.

I really like Abby's "episode" idea. It is getting a comic book release instead of individual pages which both disjoint the story and are annoying to wait for. I'm not sure if Mike thought it was too much work that way or if it was more marketable to break it up, but I think it increases the chance of returning readers to have bigger updates.

We've seen how much work Abby can pump out in an hour with time to spare. She's taken a break from school, she has the time and the energy. I don't think she is boasting when she says she can do 200 over the summer.

edited June 2013
    Also, I loved the "We'd just bring Lexxy back" comment... that was the best. :-D

Angry_Samoan on
    seegruA Concerned CitizenHanClinto
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Hey Maki

is Anton Zahn really just Eugene Hutz from Gogol Bordello?

f3q.png

mhi3.jpg

walrus.png
    Angry_SamoanzerzhulAzaminoLexxyBoardGameBodhisattva
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Can any of the Strippers explain yet about the timing of this? Did they make you send in your completed 6 strips/etc/etc in February and then wait until like three weeks ago to present them and do this? It would certainly explain why Making didn't realize they were going to show the idea yet during last week's episode. It just seems so very odd. Thanks :)

• TrunkersTrunkers Registered User regular
    I don't know why, but I was totally not expecting another Thunderdome challenge, much less a 4-hour one. Pretty exciting stuff.

From the spoiler page I am most intrigued by Abby's comics. It manages to be both whimsical and creepy at the same time, not too unlike Kris Straub's fantastic Broodhollow comic.

My MTG Cube Site - -http://riptidelab.com
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    Some thoughts on timing: Obviously, this was filmed after at least half of the season was over, there's a pineapple maki shirt in the crowd. And of course the "What do you think of the comments" stuff. I'm not sure HOW far into the season it was, but I find it interesting that they waited that long. Fascinating.

I like Maki's strip the best(duh, Team Maki), because I love his science strip and I often wondered what it would be like if it had more of an ongoing story to it. I do worry about it becoming too much like other slice of life comics out there, but I think his ideas and characters are interesting enough for it to be a great comic. I can see how it might not be for everyone, but I'm going to be a dedicated reader, no matter what.

I found Abby's strip to be interesting, but uneven in tone. For lack of a better word, herky-jerky. Maybe part of that is because the comics we saw were not introductory strips. There were some good funny bits in there, but I was not a huge fan of the seemingly juxtaposed monster scene. The ideas were interesting, and the characters seemed to be well thought out, and the merch was excellent.

Katie's strip will probably win, however, if the challenge part for her works out. Her comics flowed the best, had very well thought out characters, and excellent flow. She's a pro, and it shows.

Looking forward to the finale!

Ok, so I've read the three offerings, and...
    All three of them are well done, but the only one that interests me is Abby's. I love Abby's art and it's well written. I also love the idea that she would publish an entire scene in one day. Absolutely brilliant.
    Katie's reminds me of the Camp Krusty episode on "The Simpsons", just darker.
    For Maki's, I'd rather see more of Riti. Meg just doesn't interest me. Meg seems like a character I've seen a few times... the self-centered hipster slacker. It's like another Lena Dunham character. I did like seeing Maki use himself as a conscience figure who seems to get influenced by Anton.
    Regardless, though, I do want to see more of all of these.
    Good luck to the remaining contestants.