Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Finale, Part 1

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    mike wrote:
    Don't ya hate it when they dissect the jokes?
    ahahahahaha

some of you fuckers are on notice.
    Pfft. I don't think anyone would even do it if it wasn't for the "I don't get it" brigade. ;)

ElbasunuLamp
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Well done to all three for the work they put in at home.

I'm torn. I love that Abby has decided to write stories that have a beginning a middle and an end, wrapped up into complete graphic novels. And as someone who really liked Courtney Crumrin her idea appeals to me. Katie's "kids in peril" comic idea is probably my favourite of the three, especially in her art style; it's a perfect match. Maki's idea is less insta-win for me, at first blush it sounds similar to many other comics, but I think he's done a fantastic job with the art and his joke writing is great.

I... I don't think I have a favourite.

I wan't them all.

All the C.

Cantabrian
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I *really* want to read the rest of @KatieJRice's Camp Weedonwantcha. I want to read that every day.

I think they're all fantastic, but Katie's is definitely my favorite.

oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    TinklesVanityPantsTomantaA Concerned Citizenfullofgrace
    parmeisan wrote: »
    Can any of the Strippers explain yet about the timing of this? Did they make you send in your completed 6 strips/etc/etc in February and then wait until like three weeks ago to present them and do this? It would certainly explain why Maki didn't realize they were going to show the idea yet during last week's episode. It just seems so very odd. Thanks :)
    I was going to ask about this too. Two months after filming would have been squarely in early March, but Maki is referencing PAX, and they're talking about other things that definitely happened way later in March. Maybe *because* of PAX they had to push this till sometime in April? Maybe @GrahamS can help us out here.

oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    A Concerned Citizen
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Also, as someone else mentioned, the Pineapple Maki shirt in the audience. It does help to know that Maki probably didn't go home in December and immediately make himself a Team Maki shirt; that seemed really weird when I thought that that's what happened.

Edit : It does seem likely that this was before the "all the D" episode aired, though.

parmeisan on
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Two months after filming would have been squarely in early March

I think Maki said he was home in time for Christmas, so perhaps late February was the deadline.

Really liked this episode, and I'll be bookmarking all the comics. But Katie's is my favorite.

• parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, they must have declined to look at any of the stuff they made from late February / early March through sometime between the airing of episodes 11 and 19. I think my biggest question about all that is, how did they send the material in? And why make it seem like only two months had passed, last episode? And why wait that long at all? It's all very mysterious.

Edit: No, wait, "all the D" was Abby's second elimination, wasn't it? That's a long period where this could have been filmed. I'm guessing pretty recent, though.

parmeisan on
  • mistress bellamistress bella Registered User regular
    Go Go Katie! <3

Yeah, good point, this was probably filmed before "all the D" aired.

oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    A Concerned Citizen
  • LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    I'm not super happy with the format of this final competition. 3 comics in 4 hours is actually a faster rate than the elimination challenges, and I feel like you'd actually want the opposite (nobody can do 4-minute miles for a whole marathon). It seems bizarre to give them all this time to really polish stuff and then judge them based on a live competition which, as Jerry admitted to Mac, is "in some ways about making comics."

If you want a time crunch factor, I'd have rather seen something like they call up the strippers a week before they fly to Seattle (which was clearly after the two-month mark anyway) and tell them "now make another week's worth of stuff for us so we can see what your weekly updates would look like." It might disadvantage some of them based on their life schedules, but that's actually how webcomics work, instead of having to crank out a week's worth of content in one sitting while being heckled.

I'm worried about Katie now, too, though they cliffhangered us this way with Lexxy in Elimination 3 and she ended up okay. Regardless, I really want to see more of Katie's comic, I think her gag-a-day stuff would be funny and I'm really interested to see if she goes anywhere with the Lord of the Flies worldbuilding that she's started setting up (with the airdrop, etc.).

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, that is a bold, bold move from Katie. Not quite half the time gone and then 'hang on, can I switch mediums?' Out of everything this season, that's the first thing that got a verbal exclamation from me of "Holy shit".

Guess we have to wait to see if it pays off.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    BoardGameBodhisattva
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that thinks Maki and Katie should write a comic together? Maki is such a great concept artist while Katie is the better artist. Would be cool to give a Maki comic to Katie and ask her to redraw it with the same concept and dialog, but her own take on the artwork

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm not too worried about Katie. Doesn't she do storyboards for a living? She can draw, fast. She's also the girl who's most comfortable drawing on notebook paper, so I think switching mediums was probably a smart move. And its not as if she abandoned much work on the Cintiq... as she said she barely had anything done. Digital art is fast in some ways and super slow in others.

Edit: What I'm really interested to see is how she's going to add color. Abby's off the hook in that respect.

Lamp on
    lastcallcomic
  • RogjahRogjah Registered User regular
    Argh, Tuesday can't come fast enough.

Katie's is definitely my favourite of the 3 from what I've seen. It looks great and it's funny. Great character bios and t-shirt design too. Everything required was done well.

Abby's definitely has potential, but like some others have said, without an intro I feel a little lost and like I'm missing something. I love the term "noble tacosmith", that really made me laugh. Did she have character bios? Were they just not posted to the spoiler page? "Get out of my bubble Ringley". I feel like this is definitely the most quotable of the 3. The t-shirt mockup looks ugly to me, but the close up logo looks a lot better.

I like Maki's logo the best and I love the title. I also like how Maki himself seems to make a cameo.

I'm assuming the ideas this time around were intentionally vague/broad to make them fit in easily with everyone's strips. Dinosaur rollerskates would be an awkward thing to have to incorporate. Seems like all three should be able to incorporate the ideas easily enough into their existing strips.

Lavidius
  • michaeldemossmichaeldemoss Shreveport, LARegistered User regular
    I really like all three of these comics. Abby and Katie's comics are more up my alley with their fantasy spin, but I like Maki's characters also. I hope all of these comics come to light.

I would have a hard time picking a winner between Abby and Katie's comics. Probably leaning more towards Abby because I have a crush on her.

• MilknutMilknut Registered User regular
    I'm digging Katie's the most. Going into this Abby was my favorite and I still think she'd win a classic thunderdome against either of these guys but I am less into her longer form stuff. It's gag-a-day strips that really show how amazing she is.

Twenty million kids are eaten by bats every second.
  • enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    I think all 3 are fascinating. I agree that Abby's concept would work better as a book. If the point of the competition was to see someone demonstrate that they have the chops to do this continually for a living, then presenting a concept that will only last a few months seems an odd choice. Her greatest strength seemed to be humor. And while there is some humor in these strips, it didn't blow me away. Nor was I really drawn into the individual characters enough. Pulling from the middle of her story may have been a disservice to selling the characters.

Katie really nailed black comedy without having to resort to usual tropes. I really loved what I saw and I think there is potential, though constantly joking that the kids are in peril may wear off at some point.

I was a bit surprised to see Maki basically show up in his own comic given that he represented himself as someone shy on the show, who didn't want to be in the limelight personally. It made me think of Kevin Smith injecting Silent Bob in his movies. Kevin Smith is self-deprecating in the role, but also positions himself as a sage through the character at the same time.

That being said, of the three, I think Maki's strip has the best long term potential. It isn't dependent on science being a core component constantly, but he can leverage science as a tool in the strip. There is humor, but also potential for strong personal growth in the characters. I can easily see myself getting really invested in this strip over time.

makitori
  • ds004ds004 Registered User new member
    HEY MAKI! :D :D :D :D :D
    I got an account just so you would read one of my comments! :D

uhh... strip search is awesome. Everyone's cool, wish you guys would come to my birthday party.

parmeisanElbasunuBoardGameBodhisattvaPuddingpie
  • duddlesduddles Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I was most impressed with Katie's comic and its overall presentation (character bios, logos)

Although Maki's Pizza in a Toaster image is really amazing!

duddles on
  • MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    Katie is a professional story board artist so honestly her changing medium an hour and a half in, while maybe a point of drama, isn't that big of a deal. So long as she already has her ideas she can crank out the artwork.

Katie's strip is well done, but there's already plenty of similarly well written and well executed material out there that isn't getting the audience it deserves. I think Skadi is a better IP for the long haul just because of the D&D and fantasy crowd that tends to latch onto such things. (Order of the Stick, Skullkickers, etc.)

Abby has a very Jhonen Vasquez (Invader Zim) sensibility to her writing. That's great because there's a huge audience for that, but she should focus on her gags first and any narrative she likes to build second. There's just more of an audience for gag writing because it requires little investment on part of the reader. I wish she would also learn to cut the fat from her writing. She tends to use more panels than she really needs, especially when she's trying to tell a story.

Maki... Maki's strip is generic. There's already several cartoonists out there who do that kind of thing, including throwing in super natural elements and factoids, better. Oh great pineapple head, devourer of all comments, survivor of 4chan, find these cartoonists, study them, and polish your own work if Sufficiently Remarkable is really what you want to do.

Mrs. Sen
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    Oh shit Katie!! My favorite to win has the well go dry on the final (?) challenge. What a crappy way to go if you don't finish!

Abby,... you background rendering style reminds my of what Gerard did in "Cerebus". Lots of woodgrain crosshatching. Check out "Cerebus: Church and State". I think you'd dig it.

Maki,... I gotta sit some more with your work as it didn't quite connect with me right away. I think I need it to sink in just a bit more.

Overall, Katie is still my favorite. I just hope you FINISH!!!

• A Concerned CitizenA Concerned Citizen Registered User regular
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well here's to tuesday

• enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    I think Mike might win.

Elbasunugeekymoxie
  • MicroMagicMicroMagic Registered User regular
    I've been in Katie's camp from the start. While Katie and Abbey's comics were something I'd read... Maki's just floored me. That is some really, really funny stuff.

• jcrawfjcrawf Registered User new member
    I liked Katies comic the most but because I really want to see it as a tv show. I really like Abbys idea of coming out with a whole story once a week instead of small updates, I just wish she would of done a full story with six. And maki, 13 strips? I thought the challenge was to present your idea with only six.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I love Abby's idea about how to present her material. I hate having to wait 2 days to a week for the next page in a story-based comic. She should patent her idea, and make everyone else do it.

...that's not how patents work, is it.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I love Abby's idea about how to present her material. I hate having to wait 2 days to a week for the next page in a story-based comic. She should patent her idea, and make everyone else do it.

...that's not how patents work, is it.

I agree Abby's 'scene' idea is genius. The couple of story comics I read that are M/W/F (Gunnerkrigg and Broodhollow) kind of fall flat sometimes, since those short moments are stretched out too far. As long as the updates are consistent I'd think readers would keep coming back once a week. We're used to doing it for TV shows already.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    Having looked at the 8 week challenge work Abby's and Katie's interest me the most. I can see myself reading Abby's on a weekly basis because I find everything she does hilarious and depending how entertaining Katie's is I would probably read hers to.

Sadly while Maki's has some interesting elements to it, the overall idea and the art style just didn't grab me as much (though it's still a really high quality (I know you're reading this Maki, I still think you're awesome.))

Cant wait for the last episode, it's going to be super close!

Mrs. Sen
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    @JCRAWF

We were told we could submit more if we wanted. I sort of just kept going. I even cut out 3 or 4 at the last minute.

HanClinto
  • suffragesuffrage AlbuquerqueRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Man, all three are super-interesting, I honestly hope they are all continued regardless of the outcome. I'll have to say, feral cats definitely got the best stifled-at-work chortle from me...thanks for that sinus discomfort Katie! Anyway, good luck to all of you...or your past selves I guess, you have collectively kicked me in the pants with your steel toes of inspiration and now I am contentedly working on a webcomic of mine own.

suffrage on
  • morosemorose Registered User regular
    War Abby. \m/

• Pudgy NinjaPudgy Ninja Registered User regular
    I'm rooting for Abby just because I like her sense of humor, but honestly, any one of these could win and I would nod and say, "They deserved it." A lot of talent up on that stage.

lastcallcomicPuddingpie
  • megnanimousmegnanimous Registered User regular
    I am now officially torn. #TeamKatbby

• Korbei83Korbei83 Registered User regular
    Did Abby forget her bios or were they not posted on the Spoilers page?

• lastcallcomiclastcallcomic Registered User new member
    Very bold move of Katie to switch from Wacom to paper halfway in. I can definitely relate--Wacom is awfully convenient (it cuts coloring time in half for me)--but at the same time, can handicap my drawing style. I switched from traditional to digital a couple years ago, but have considered going back to good ol' pen/pencil & paper.

All three have stellar ideas, and I love all of them (both the comics and the artists). Whoever emerges victorious in the end, you are all winners in my book. Congrats to Maki, Abby & Katie! :)

• kailowkailow Registered User regular
    AWWW woahhhh

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I hope all three of them continue with the comics whether or not they win. Abby definitely said she would, but it would hamper how much she could update if she didn't win the contest.

I'm ready to put all three in my comic rotation.

End
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    makitori wrote: »
    @JCRAWF

We were told we could submit more if we wanted. I sort of just kept going. I even cut out 3 or 4 at the last minute.

Yeah, I kinda noticed. Abby had a neat little stack, Katie had a neat little stack, and you... probably deforested Oregon.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • abbyhowardabbyhoward Registered User, Strip Search regular
    @KORBEI183 : I included a dickload of spoilers for my story in the bios, so I kindly asked that they be left out. I also asked that a bunch of stuff be left out of the actual show.

INTRIGUE

RyadicSassoriAngry_SamoanKorbei83zerzhulElbasunuPsykomaBoardGameBodhisattvaUNHchaboGoose!geekymoxielamelama22PuddingpieArbitraryDescriptorKazitronHanClintoCambiata
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I am so ready for The Last Halloween.

djmitchellaPuddingpieArbitraryDescriptor