Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    If the gym frowns upon Olympic lifting, they probably don't have bumper plates or platforms because the only reason they would get those is to encourage Olympic lifting.

I read a really interesting article about how most gyms get them to look good but don't want them to use them.

What they want you to do is do three circuits of the machines followed by twenty minutes on the elliptical, then stop coming after two months and then reup your membership the following year.

All that other stuff is in the gym because people expect it, if you watch the personal trainers they very rarely put people into the free weights section. The majority of gyms are just scummy places.

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    How long have you been lifting rock? 385 seems so far away for someone just getting to working out with 140 (3 sets of 5). Hope to be at my bodyweight next week maybe (150 ish)

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Can I set a goal too?

Go to the gym 5 to 7 days a week, substantially increase my endurance/cardio, lose lots of weight, get better at martial arts, win a tournament, become better at meditation, and stop drinking soda.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Magus` wrote: »
    Oh man, chin ups, the one thing I've never been able to do no matter how hard I tried. That would be a huge accomplishment for me, no joke.

It's going to be hard, because you're gigantic, but it's doable It just needs consistent work.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That one was pretty funny.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    @rockrngr

That's a good lift. You should put up a video of failed lift if you have one. That'll help see your sticking point.

Are you stalling in the mid-point of the lift? Or do you feel the bar slowing down?
    I didn't keep them but it was pretty standard. Stalled out about halfway up. Just need to keep working on my triceps, I suppose.
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    How long have you been lifting rock? 385 seems so far away for someone just getting to working out with 140 (3 sets of 5). Hope to be at my bodyweight next week maybe (150 ish)
    About two years starting with messing around in my basement for a couple hours a week till now I'm in the gym all the time.

Once you get going stopping becomes the trick.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    @rockrngr

Take a look at the Coan bench routine.

http://www.joeskopec.com/edcoanbench.html

It's pretty good for a raw lifter since it isn't super high volume and it's also a slower total work set increase. It's also really simple. Bench, incline bench and close grip bench. All pretty heavy.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    are you slack jawed daffodils ready for the sick ass front squat I did yesterday?

95lbs. 43.0913kgs.

back squats at 115lbs were actually still not feeling right, but front squats felt perfect other than me being completely not used to them. I did a bunch of sets at that weight and now my ass and legs are sore so I assume that is the de-wussification process happening and in a few weeks I'll be back up to 185.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    If the gym frowns upon Olympic lifting, they probably don't have bumper plates or platforms because the only reason they would get those is to encourage Olympic lifting.

I read a really interesting article about how most gyms get them to look good but don't want them to use them.

What they want you to do is do three circuits of the machines followed by twenty minutes on the elliptical, then stop coming after two months and then reup your membership the following year.

All that other stuff is in the gym because people expect it, if you watch the personal trainers they very rarely put people into the free weights section. The majority of gyms are just scummy places.

I would like to read this article

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've thought about getting some kind of personal training cert to make beer money with, but I'm pretty certain at this point that it would be impossible for me to turn a profit without being just as scummy as the rest of them.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Generally agree, but I know several trainers that are good people who teach free weights primarily. I guess it's all about finding the gym/trainer in the gym that is the exception.

Or just do whatever that bro science guy tells you. Why can't I do a muscle up?!?

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Squatting when you have diarrhea shits is not fun

• Options
    I've thought about getting some kind of personal training cert to make beer money with, but I'm pretty certain at this point that it would be impossible for me to turn a profit without being just as scummy as the rest of them.

Over here it's a few hundred to get your NSCA-CPT and that's nothing.

I'll end up shelling out way more for my CSCCa cert and spend a lot more time on that at 640 hours working with teams, developing a program then presenting it to master coaches, and a written exam than taking just the one test to be a personal trainer.

By the way, that's why I disregard 99% of personal trainers.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Squatting when you have diarrhea shits is not fun

We really need a "that's horrific" reaction button. I was going to hit the "awesome" button for lack a a better option, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. D:

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    That isn't to say I don't have the NSCA book to study from. It's a quality text, especially with regard to having basic standards for collegiate athletes and tests for speed&agility.

• Options
    It's easy to give personal trainers a bunch of shit and a lot of them deserve it but I think a lot of it has to do with the expectations of their clients. If someone hires you then you want them to keep paying you, so if you put together a perfectly reasonable free weight routine and the person says "oh no, that looks too hard, can't we just use machines?" are you really going to push them and risk them finding someone else? Or are you going to try to do what they want and keep them as a client?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    most of the trainers in my gym that i see seem to use free weights or trx or things like that

but then i guess i don't go upstairs to the machines so much so maybe some of them are there too

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also my bum is sore, i've started doing heavier glute barbell bridges

like 250 for 5 sets is what i did last time

but i know i can do more, i can feel it in my butt

sore bum

i like it

poo
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Front squats and deadlifts today before going to work. Feeling good having already gotten it done. Also nice to see that I haven't lost much on my deadlift even though I haven't done it in months and I've been losing weight.

• Options
    5x10 squats at 60,80,3x100 has my legs feeling like jelly

Then I meant to do presses 4x8 @ 60 but may have only done 3 think I did 4. It was ugly last set

And 2x8 @ 110 for shrugs at which point I cut my workout short because a) I was already sweaty from doing a couple 100 yard strides with some athletes and b) I was feeling slightly nauseous which I still am.

So for sure need to bring my log with me and keep doing this high rep shit for the rest of June. Gonna hit it 5 days a week squat press m/w/f and t/th hit deads, rows, and bench and work my way up to incorporating the appropriate aux lifts each day

And then July start getting back to training seriously and compete sometime in August? If the meet is in Austin. I'm not going to Houston.

• Options
    Powerlifting comp DL or Olympic?

• Options
    Olympic

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

If you lived here I'd totally hit you up for something. On a related note I'm heading down to the gym this Friday to get my membership set up and see what classes they have. Hurray.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    on a slightly unrelated note

one of the ladies that I used to train with at my old gym just became 2013 WFF Miss Universe Champion.

So that's pretty neat! She used to give me some good pointers on things and was super duper supportive of me anytime that I saw her.

But that's bodybuilding and a completely different animal than you big men.

• Options
    You're right, those bodybuilders are nothing like us, what with their giant muscles and perfect symmetry and low body fat percentages, we're way better than that.

Q79OLiR.gif

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I feel out of breath just watching that gif.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'll admit once I've dipped into the sub-200 range the idea of switching to a bodybuilding routine would be -tempting-.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Bodybuilders are plenty strong. They just don't push the high end of the core lifts quite as much and they do a lot more support and assistance work. They're still strength athletes.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Dropping to the sub-200 range would make me question if I still have all my internal organs.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Dropping to the sub-200 range would make me question if I still have all my internal organs.

The only organs I have left are my skin and whatever it is that's still processing caffeine.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Oh, today my gym decided that there should be posted weightlifting hours where no one can complain about the noise.

For some reason they are exactly the same times that I normally lift. Strange isn't it?

• Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    So, do the treadmill/elliptical jerks have to leave their machines during lifting hours? If not, you should complain about the noise their machines are making during lifting hours, and how it's ruining your focus. On the one hand, between those 2 different groups of people (lifters and cardio people) the lifters focus is more important because if they get hurt, they can get really hurt. On the other hand, the best way for the gym to fix that would be to eliminate weights altogether. Your whole situation at your gym is dumb, and I think your gym is handling it poorly.

In other news: I think I had a pretty decent workout. Before I got to my squats I warmed up with a bunch of kettlebell swings, and I think it helped my hips a lot. Better hip action takes the stress of my knees so it felt good. Also, I think I might be doing something wrong with my bench, because I can almost do as much on incline as I can do on flat. That's a little backwards isn't it? Especially given how my shoulders are generally lagging in press. I don't know, I'm confused.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Alright, there we go!

finally got a workout that im shaky afterwards.

i dont know if i can ever live without a power rack at my house anymore.

winter is gonna suck

i need to find a way to insulate my garage.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Bodybuilders are plenty strong. They just don't push the high end of the core lifts quite as much and they do a lot more support and assistance work. They're still strength athletes.

I'm thinking about competing after my track career is over. My bodyfat is already low as hell I just have to add on like 20 more lbs upperbody o_0

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    I'm in between gym memberships currently so I've been doing bodyweight stuff instead. I'm heading to Home Depot tomorrow to get the stuff to make myself a slosh pipe and a few 75lb bags of sand. Not having gym access has made me round out my workouts. I'm actually enjoying it.

cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Make some parallettes. They are useful as hell and really easy and cheap to make out of PVC

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm gonna get a list together and head to Home Depot in the morning. I'm unemployed right now so I'm trying to go as cheap as possible.

cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    Turns out that nauseous feeling?

Just a big turd

This discussion has been closed.