Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Glad you got that worked out

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    I've been there

cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Completed all my singles at 135 on bench today. Going for 140 next week. Feels good.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Oh sleep why are you so elusive

Why am I wide awake at 330am

I have to gym in 3 hrs let me sleep

poo
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    I had a dream this set would be
    A set of squats and not good mooooornings
    But different form from what Rip screeeeamed
    Now... the weight has killed... that form... I dreeeeeaaaamed

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Bodybuilders are plenty strong. They just don't push the high end of the core lifts quite as much and they do a lot more support and assistance work. They're still strength athletes.

A lot of "bodybuilders" I know are a lot stronger than the "powerlifters" that I know.

• Options
    Daric wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm gonna get a list together and head to Home Depot in the morning. I'm unemployed right now so I'm trying to go as cheap as possible.

Get a cheap length of band from a physio too. possibilities with that shit are endless and it'll cost you a couple bucks, tops

• Options
    Oh noes gremlin gym owner finally saw and asked me not to use chalk. Cuz he used barbell after me. Alas...

poo
  • Options
    Get that stripper powder. It's cheap and pretty much invisible.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    My ass is incredibly sore from my godlike 6.78571 stone Front Squat on Monday.

I... I don't mean to get emotional but I just missed this so much ;_;

• Options

What's that? I do not want to google stripper powder at work

poo
  • Options

What's that? I do not want to google stripper powder at work

Strippers sometimes use a clear grip powder for pole dancing. It applies like talc and then gets grippy from the heat in your palms.

I used to use it way back when I was training in a bullshit gym. It's great stuff.

• Options
    I mean, shit, i would find it hilarious if girls were chalking up before hitting the stage but maybe their usual clientele prefer a bit more discretion

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Don't see what the big deal about chalk is. It wipes off.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    So I'm trying a new weekly routine for my free weights at home with a bunch of compound movements and new stuff for me.

I know muscle soreness (particularly with new things) the next day is something to be expected, but is having it be much more sore on one side of the body indicative of poor form?

Alternatively it could just be my left arm and chest is starting out weaker, as my left hand is much more damaged than the right and I tend to avoid putting strain on it in day to day activities.

Any ideas on how I would tell which is the issue, or should I just not worry about it?

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Had to cut my workout short today. Almost blacked out and my ears started ringing.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Film it. if you're not obviously putting emphasis on one side then it's probably what you've noted above re imbalances.

• Options
    Get that stripper powder.

The various scenarios in my head in which you could yell "Get that stripper powder!" has kept me entertained all morning.

Recovery day/mobility day today. Have a random Thursday meet so my schedule is all sorts of messed up.

• Options
    He said it was a pain to get off of the rubber mats or something

Though I've been using it for years at this gym without him saying anything

poo
  • Options

Bullfuckingshit.

Tell him to blow it out his ass, dump chalk on the floor, get a spray bottle and a towel, and watch it disappear.

Fuck I clean chalk damn near every fucking day from chalk hand prints on the weightroom floor.

The only reason why I have to clean it is to keep the weightroom presentable for recruits.

• Options
    The only way I see it being a pain is if the mats have big grooves and holes in them like a bar mat does but even then a solid rubber floor????

Nahhh

• Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    So, is he admitting to not washing the mats, or even rinsing them off (which is pretty much all it takes to get chalk off). If that's the case try not to touch that stuff, you don't want staph, or ringworm or whatever.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Bodybuilders are plenty strong. They just don't push the high end of the core lifts quite as much and they do a lot more support and assistance work. They're still strength athletes.

A lot of "bodybuilders" I know are a lot stronger than the "powerlifters" that I know.

Why the quotes? Do you really mean "A lot of "gym bros who have been doing chest day every Monday for a decade" I know are a lot stronger than the "dumbasses who low bar squat because the SS wiki told them to" that I know"? Do you actually know any bodybuilders who are stronger than actual, competing powerlifters of the same experience?

I totally agree the bodybuilding is a strength sport and all, but I don't understand the tone of your post.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    The quotes are because I'm not talking about high level bodybuilders or powerilfters. I certainly know people who describe themselves as powerlifters and piss and moan about bodybuilders who would get crushed by say, the bodybuilder of my acquaintance who can squat 185kg for reps.

So yeah, I actually do know bodybuilders who are stronger than powerlifters of similar experience, but the real point of my post was how much I hate the ridiculous fucking tribalism between "powerlifters" and "bodybuilders". Hence the scare quotes.

Tube on
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The quotes are because I'm not talking about high level bodybuilders or powerilfters. I certainly know people who describe themselves as powerlifters and piss and moan about bodybuilders who would get crushed by say, the bodybuilder of my acquaintance who can squat 185kg for reps.

So yeah, I actually do know bodybuilders who are stronger than powerlifters of similar experience, but the real point of my post was how much I hate the ridiculous fucking tribalism between "powerlifters" and "bodybuilders". Hence the scare quotes.

Agreed on the tribalism, quotes make sense now. Also, fuck people who describe themselves as powerlifters when they haven't stepped on a platform. That's so silly. Powerlifting and bodybuilding are sports, you either compete or you don't.

• Options
    a-fuckin-men

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    wait what's wrong with low bar squats

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Couldn't agree more. I suck at everything right now but I'd like to be a big strong dude who can do whatever. Bill Kazmaier, Mikhail Koklyaev, Chad Wesley Smith, those are the dudes I want to be. This thing where people have formed into camps and have to argue about what's better than what is the worst.

Now that I've gotten done saying that, Dan Green was on the Vegas Power Hour recently and talked major training turkey and talked about how some common things that go around with raw training don't actually make any sense (the obsession with keeping elbow in on bench, not letting your knees come in at all on the squat, etc). It was a really good interview.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I suck at everything right now but I'd like to be a big strong dude who can do whatever.

My goals are simple: if I have to run, jump, or climb the hell away from something I want to have the best shot possible of being the guy who survives.

I've resigned myself to drowning though because fuck water

• Options
    Today I did some DB bench and incline flys and pull-ups and dips and face pulls and curls and reverse grip curls and push-ups

Tomorrow ill probably run

Something has taken control of my mind

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    This weekend would have been my first meet, but my friends decided to get married instead. There is a tentatively scheduled powerlifting meet in September (no definite date yet). Fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled or anything silly. I am dying to enter a competition. My old trainer is competing this weekend and going for a 1300lb total at 148. Dude is a beast.

• Options

Bullfuckingshit.

Tell him to blow it out his ass, dump chalk on the floor, get a spray bottle and a towel, and watch it disappear.

Fuck I clean chalk damn near every fucking day from chalk hand prints on the weightroom floor.

The only reason why I have to clean it is to keep the weightroom presentable for recruits.

I don't disagree but seems like a good way to get kicked out of the gym

I'm gonna just... be more sneaky about it and wipe up after myself, whatevs

poo
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Awesome squat day today. Everything clicked. Did a single with 275 that exploded up. I'm feeling pretty good about it.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Finally decided to add squats to my rotation today (AND the racks weren't filled with people doing curls) and I think my legs are going to die now. In an entirely good way!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    dear group of 6 middle school students why do you take up the bench for half an hour to do hyper extensions with a friend sitting on your back on his iPhone

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    oh oh oh i forgot the most important thing i did today!

i put a fucking harness on my head and trained my neck

i loved it so much i bought my own so i don't have to use the nasty old one at the weight room

BOOM

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

i loved it so much i bought my own so i don't have to use the nasty old one at the weight room

BOOM

Autoerotic asphyxiation is a workout now?

When working out, is it better to breath in and out through my mouth or in through the nose and out through the mouth? When I do stuff that puts my arms in front of me at an upward angle, I kind of feel like I'm taking in less air when I breath in through my nose.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options

BOOM

GET YOKED!

Serious though, its Texas. Can't you just find that shit on a farm?

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I'm still pretty weak, but after a month of my squats stalling at 150 I finally managed to do three sets of 180 today.

Minor victories.

• Options
    Victory clap

Any progress is good progress

This discussion has been closed.