Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'd say being the size of a house with almost no body fat is a pretty common trait among guys who are juicing.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Well, first Olympic day was.... Interesting I guess.

Started with a 250 clean and jerk but the jerk part is going to be mostly going thru the motions until I can clean enough weight to challenge my arms. I am not really comfortable enough with my form on the snatch to do much weight.

All in all, I am sore as hell and have a lot of easy gains to make so even if it doesn't do much to push me towards my immediate goal (450 bench) it looks like it will help my overall fitness.

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    He's not just some dude though, he was a college running back and he worked at 24 hour fitness. He says he wasn't on the juice back then and I trust him. Just because someone is big and lean doesn't automatically mean they're doing steroids, they might just have good genetics and a lot of time to work out.

cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    I'm going to respectfully disagree. This is Herschel Walker, by all accounts one of the most naturally gifted athletes ever to grace a college football field:
    015_herschel_walker_vs_scott_carson.jpg

This is Adrian Peterson, current super jacked NFL running back:
    adrian.jpg

This is the pic you posted:
    pzq21Mm.jpg

Not quite the same physique.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Daric wrote: »
    He's not just some dude though, he was a college running back and he worked at 24 hour fitness. He says he wasn't on the juice back then and I trust him. Just because someone is big and lean doesn't automatically mean they're doing steroids, they might just have good genetics and a lot of time to work out.

There's big and lean, and then there's big and lean. Maybe he didn't consider anything that's not HGH or T steroids, he may have just been on dbol. I dunno. I regret even starting this post, but now I feel like I have to finish it.

I think we can all agree that discussing wether or not an individual is on steroids or not is pointless.

• Options
    Agreed. I'll drop it.

I ended up buying 120lbs of sand and a couple of 5-gallon buckets from Home Depot. I'm gonna go back this weekend and get a bar to carry those and the stuff to make a slosh pipe.

• Options
    I'm not sure I do agree. Speculating is one thing, that's pretty dumb most of the time. But saying that it's disingenuous and irresponsible when a guy talks up prison and playground workouts and outlines his prison diet that he used to get big when he is clearly using, that's something else in my eyes. And that's the point I was trying to make.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm not sure I do agree. Speculating is one thing, that's pretty dumb most of the time. But saying that it's disingenuous and irresponsible when a guy talks up prison and playground workouts and outlines his prison diet that he used to get big when he is clearly using, that's something else in my eyes. And that's the point I was trying to make.

Disingenuous to who? People who don't know any better, noobs?

I say screw it, it's not the results that are going to motivate the ones who become Lifers (to steal Jim Steele's term), it's the love of the process. Those people, if they really want to get into playground workouts/powerlifting/bodybuilding, will learn all those lessons through experience. That's the only way anything has ever truly stuck with me. Can't imagine what I'll know in five, ten, fifteen years.

• Options

He didn't say he used those to get big. If you watch the documentary he says he was already big and he used those to stay the same size. That's why when someone asked him if he wanted to get steroids in prison he told them "I'm already big as a motherfucker, what I need that for?"

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    Didnt get to gym yesterday due to work and almost didnt get there today because my hams/ass still hurt from squats on monday -- did it anyway and my legs feel perfect now after even more squats.

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Best squat day I've had ... maybe ever. I should take the tail end of the week off from work more often. Sleeping 10 hours and having a massive breakfast do wonderful things for me.

• Options

He didn't say he used those to get big. If you watch the documentary he says he was already big and he used those to stay the same size. That's why when someone asked him if he wanted to get steroids in prison he told them "I'm already big as a motherfucker, what I need that for?"

Fair enough, that is what he said. I guess I'm just tired of all of these strength-sport guys having to publicly talk around what they use. I don't care, I don't think it's cheating, I just want to know what they take and how it fits into their training protocols. I feel like it adds a huge amount of the stupidity to the discussions about the different training styles and the cults of personality around different athletes and I would like everything to be on the table so that we can actually evaluate what they're saying. Yes I know you can just try it and then you'll see if it works for you but I'm an information junkie and I want it all. All the facts and data, give them to me.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is Deadlift day and I ordered some of the invisibleish chalk but I won't have tha till Monday...
    So imma needa be real stealthylike

Lets see if I can sleep more than 5 hrs tonight

poo
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    He doesn't have roid gut, acne, or gyno so I'd err on the side of him just being a gifted athlete back then. He's very obviously doing roids now as he has all 3 of those things.

Bodybuilders in the 70s didn't have roid gut or acne, and I fucking guarantee every single one of them was roiding.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Peptide hormone gut is more like it. You didn't see it in the 70s cause that shit wasn't prevalent yet.

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    Took a 110kg bench for a spin tonight. A double and 2 singles and it didn't feel too bad. Next comp is in a week and a bit, last training session tomorrow.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    After watching Bigger, Stronger, Faster my opinion on steroids is pretty much that of Peen above. When I'm still training hard in my 40's I'll consider trying them (although probably on a prescription at that point).

Don't need 'em now though - 120kg/265lbx3x6 front squats today. Hoo yeah. Think I might start doing leg extensions to bring my quads up though because the latter sets had quite a lot of torso lean happening (increasing posterior chain contribution).

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I don't think I made it past 4 am

poo
  • Options
    You guys that oly lift should try this and tell us how much it sucks. Because to me it looks like it suuuuuuucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_0rbC6LG4

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Well he just did a 100kilo snatch grip military press I'll let you know when I can do that regular

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    The one at the bottom of the squat made me hard. I won't lie.

Also ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now i am dead

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    He's joking. It's a good joke and it's at his own expense.

I refuse to believe otherwise.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm now curious as to how Peen found that. Did you Google "meaty muscular man?"

• Options
    It was linked off mopeilitywod.com. Which I heartily recommend to one and all.

• Options
    Ok when I linked that I hadn't read the testicles page yet. I am actually dead now, I have been killed by the internet.

• Options
    I mean the thing is, if it's not a joke that guy has special needs. So I'm sitting here going hahaha this guy has put together a really clever satire and I'm well aware that if it's not a clever satire everyone is laughing at a guy who isn't entirely mentally capable.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Thanks alot, Tube. Now I feel bad because the chances of him credibly maintaining the joke through that entire site is slim to none. :(

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    You guys that oly lift should try this and tell us how much it sucks. Because to me it looks like it suuuuuuucks

I got two possibilities for the name of that lift.

It's either (last name)(house hold appliance) or (city)(method of transporting bulk freight).

• Options
    On one hand, that guy went to a lot of effort. On the other most of it is too crazy to not be a joke. There's a picture of him that says MEAT on it.

In other news today I pressed literally twice what my Commonwealth Games Gold medal winning coach can do! 70kgx6! Ha! On the other hand, I missed some snatches with literally half the weight (60kg) that he can currently snatch. Boo.

Did get a 5 kilo pb on C&J despite front squatting a lot this morning though (110kg). Yey!

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Ordered my new squat rack and bench, came out to around $428.11. Bought This squat rack and This bench Was pretty surprised by the weight capacity on it, seemed like a good purchase. Seems to be somewhere around $220 off of the manufacturers website.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

rockrnger wrote: »

I got two possibilities for the name of that lift.

It's either (last name)(house hold appliance) or (city)(method of transporting bulk freight).

Tallahassee Freight Train

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'd like to give a giant fuck-you to my glutes and hips for conspiring to keep my deadlift firmly in the "your dead is HOW close to your squat?!" territory.
    If I could consistently get the associated musculature working as it's meant to I've got no doubt I could add an easy 20kg to my dead. As it is I hit 170 conventional but couldn't break 180 either conv or sumo.

Having vented that particular spleen, I'm still confident I can at least make a small PR next weekend after a week of deload. If I don't hit a 200kg dead by the end of the thread, I might just curl up and die.

jklong on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Day 2 post adding squats to rotation

I'd like my legs back please

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Well, first Olympic day was.... Interesting I guess.

Started with a 250 clean and jerk but the jerk part is going to be mostly going thru the motions until I can clean enough weight to challenge my arms. I am not really comfortable enough with my form on the snatch to do much weight.

All in all, I am sore as hell and have a lot of easy gains to make so even if it doesn't do much to push me towards my immediate goal (450 bench) it looks like it will help my overall fitness.

Get some videos of your lifts up bro - I really enjoy coaching the lifts (though am relatively inexperienced) and DL knows what's up.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    my neck harness came in

commence operation brahma

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Turns out the place I want to go to has too short hours for me to get there on the weekend (transportation thing) so I'll need to find shit to do at home during that time. Not a big deal though.

• Options
    You can take the weekends off. No biggy.

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    200lbx5 for DL
    175 for squats 5repx3sets
    145 for bp 5x3
    Small steps :)

• Options
    GideonGideon Registered User regular
    i love squats because today i looked at my own ass

and i saw that it was good

• Options
    I got in the gym and lifted actual weights for the first time in forever. I was glad to see that my bodyweight routines have translated over into the lifting more weights category because my numbers were up on everything I did today. And I did everything. I knew I wasn't going to get to go back for another couple of weeks so I did as much as I could. I look forward to lying in bed all day tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.